BMW M3 Forum (E90 E92)

BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   M3Post - BMW M3 Forum > M3 (E90 / E92 / E93) > General M3 Forum (E90 + E92 + E93)

rolloface

06-26-2013, 02:15 AM   #1
aoysgelt
Private

Drives: M3 Coupe

New E92 - first impressions + opinion on options

Finally got my first M3 - Space Grey E92 (got it for $1250 under invoice after BMW rebates). I am very happy with the purchase - it is a wonderful car. I wanted to share my first (after a month of ownership) impression including my take on options I got/did not get.

Overall impression - it is an amazing car. It feels "alive" when I drive it - and my previous car was 330ci with sports package - not a slouch. Even my wife - who is not into cars at all - loved it when she drove it.

One positive/negative about the car - it is way too much of a car for most US roads. While I enjoy the acceleration/handling I am very much aware that I am using just a fraction of car's potential in my driving - even when I try to push it. I will definitely try to make it to the track.

I was somewhat surprised how good of a daily driver it is - especially with EDC set to soft.

After driving manual for more than 20 years I got DCT transmission as a compromise so that my wife could drive it. While I miss the "classic manual" part I have to say that I find DCT better in almost every way. We will see how I feel in a year or two but for now I am very pleased with my decision.

Manual seats is something I would want to change. My wife drove my car couple of times and I find it annoying to switch it back. But seats are excellent.

Comfort access - not necessary but nice.

Navigation - did not get it - don't miss it at all. My phone does bluetooth voice directions by Google maps just fine. There were some posts of how you need a special adapter - no - just regular bluetooth. I have not tried audio streaming or other features yet. I have been in cars with iDrive - I think it is nice - but I don't miss it at all.

Competition package - wheels definitely look nicer than stock 18" I have. Also 19" gives car slightly better proportions. But I did not like lowering car. I ended up not getting competition package which is probably OK but I would strongly recommend getting EDC.

Carbon roof - looks very nice. But lack of ventilation may matter...

Leather - I probably wished I got speed cloth. The car gets warm and ventilation through windows is poor so having something that breathes better than leather would be nicer.

Bottom line - I am very happy to be driving M car - something I look forward to every day.
      06-26-2013, 02:56 AM   #2
And1M3
Major

Drives: 2013 M3 MR FR/Bk

Congrats on your new beast but
      06-26-2013, 01:52 PM   #3
mestes1999
Private First Class

Drives: 2013 M3

As I learned the hard way, audio streaming is not possible unless you have iDrive. It works on a $20k Ford but not on a $67k M3. WTF.

And I think you'll soon learn that Comfort Access is very necessary. This is my third car to have it, and I could never go back. It should be a standard feature on all BMWs IMO.
      06-26-2013, 02:09 PM   #4
mdosu
Banned

Drives: Double Vanos'd Civic-M3

at the end of the day, it's still an M3, it's your money, so you buy what you need in a car. congrats
mdosu is offline   No_Country
      06-26-2013, 02:15 PM   #5
///M Power-Belgium
Brigadier General

Drives: ///M3-DCT- E92 Silverstone II

Quote:
Originally Posted by And1M3 View Post
+ 1
///M Power-Belgium is offline   Belgium
      06-26-2013, 02:18 PM   #6
Peahi
Captain

Drives: 2012 M3 CPE

Quote:
Originally Posted by And1M3
Come on bro. Interior and exterior.
      06-26-2013, 05:14 PM   #7
aoysgelt
Private

Drives: M3 Coupe

Quote:
Originally Posted by mestes1999 View Post
As I learned the hard way, audio streaming is not possible unless you have iDrive. It works on a $20k Ford but not on a $67k M3. WTF.

And I think you'll soon learn that Comfort Access is very necessary. This is my third car to have it, and I could never go back. It should be a standard feature on all BMWs IMO.
Can you please tell me exactly what you were trying to do (e.g. application, etc) - I am going to try it on mine.
      06-26-2013, 06:34 PM   #8
Ezio
Colonel

Drives: 2013 E92 M3

Quote:
Originally Posted by aoysgelt View Post

Navigation - did not get it - don't miss it at all. My phone does bluetooth voice directions by Google maps just fine. There were some posts of how you need a special adapter - no - just regular bluetooth. I have not tried audio streaming or other features yet. I have been in cars with iDrive - I think it is nice - but I don't miss it at all.

who actually used the navigation for directions ? but really it much more than for direction. It looks beautiful, works great for ipod and radio, also changing cars settings. The truth is i am spending all this money on a BMW M3, i am not going to pull my phone out for anything. i am not 16 anymore.
      06-26-2013, 06:37 PM   #9
Sedan_Clan
Banned

Drives: '14 335i(prev.IB,AW M3's & X5)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ezio View Post
who actually used the navigation for directions ? but really it much more than for direction. It looks beautiful, works great for ipod and radio, also changing cars settings. The truth is i am spending all this money on a BMW M3, i am not going to pull my phone out for anything. i am not 16 anymore.
I do.....all of the time. Rarely do I ever whip out my phone to use Google Maps or something.

OP, the "lowering" associated with the Comp Package is barely noticeable compared to a non-CP M3. I think you got hung up on verbiage.
Sedan_Clan is offline   Brazil
      06-26-2013, 07:26 PM   #10
Ezio
Colonel

Drives: 2013 E92 M3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sedan_Clan View Post
I do.....all of the time. Rarely do I ever whip out my phone to use Google Maps or something.

OP, the "lowering" associated with the Comp Package is barely noticeable compared to a non-CP M3. I think you got hung up on verbiage.
that part was kind of a joke, i am trying to say the navigation has much more value than just using it for direction.

Also i agree with that comp thing, barley a differences. But people need excuses to save money these day i think. hehe.
      06-26-2013, 07:31 PM   #11
TTG

Drives: 2011 E92 M3

Garage List
Congrats....

But I would not buy a M3 without CA or Nav. I got very used to sending directions to my car from google maps and heck, I won't buy ANY car without smart key anymore.

I-drive is a must just for being able to set the car up and etc. It is not only for navigation.
      06-26-2013, 07:35 PM   #12
Sedan_Clan
Banned

Drives: '14 335i(prev.IB,AW M3's & X5)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ezio View Post
that part was kind of a joke, i am trying to say the navigation has much more value than just using it for direction.

Also i agree with that comp thing, barley a differences. But people need excuses to save money these day i think. hehe.
I'm 0-for-2 in the sarcasm department today.
Sedan_Clan is offline   Brazil
      06-27-2013, 12:10 AM   #13
dreamspeed
Major

Drives: 6MT

I will not buy a car, any car without comfort access. It's just one of those things that I love.

And the navigation is handy but the best thing about it is being able to control the music with the idrive interface. It's probably my favorite non performance related thing about the car