BMW M3 Forum (E90 E92)

BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read


Go Back   M3Post - BMW M3 Forum > M3 (E90 / E92 / E93) > Regional Forums > USA - California
 
VF-Engineering
Post Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
      03-22-2014, 11:07 PM   #1
LazyBear15
New Member
LazyBear15's Avatar
Armenia
0
Rep
25
Posts

Drives: E92 M3
Join Date: Mar 2014
Location: United States

iTrader: (0)

Need help with 6MT grinding

Anyone around the 818 with a 6MT willing to meet up with me and check out my clutch? I feel like its grinding, but then again I might be a noob.
Appreciate 0
      03-23-2014, 04:22 PM   #2
Gumulri
Captain
Gumulri's Avatar
South Korea
9
Rep
686
Posts

Drives: BMW 335i convertible[sold]
Join Date: May 2008
Location: La Mirada

iTrader: (2)

Garage List
2008 335i  [0.00]
you gonna need to have lot of practice with the m3's 6mt
when I bought my car I grinded at 2nd gear for about one and half year.
now I am doing perfect shift every gears since than never been grinded.
and I just love my m3 with 6mt
by the way I just hit 90000mls and still running strong!
__________________
08 E90 SSII M3 6MT for track
13 E350 mbs for wife
2012 Honda Oddessey Touring for kids
2014 toyota Fj cruiser 4x4 for me
Appreciate 0
      03-24-2014, 10:43 AM   #3
Charlie@McKennaBMWService
Charlie@McKennaBMWService's Avatar
United_States
55
Rep
582
Posts

Drives: '13 AW E92 M3
Join Date: Apr 2013
Location: 10900 Firestone Blvd Norwalk, CA 90650

iTrader: (2)

Garage List
2013 BMW M3  [0.00]
2008 BMW M3  [0.00]
2006 Subaru STI  [0.00]
^What he said... The manual transmission in the E9X M3 does take some time getting used to compared to most vehicles... I feel like the positioning of the gears/shifter are not in your normal positions if you will, I found it very abnormal for me to drive one, where as a Japanese vehicle you can kind of just jump into one and go.
Appreciate 0
      03-24-2014, 01:23 PM   #4
LazyBear15
New Member
LazyBear15's Avatar
Armenia
0
Rep
25
Posts

Drives: E92 M3
Join Date: Mar 2014
Location: United States

iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gumulri View Post
you gonna need to have lot of practice with the m3's 6mt
when I bought my car I grinded at 2nd gear for about one and half year.
now I am doing perfect shift every gears since than never been grinded.
and I just love my m3 with 6mt
by the way I just hit 90000mls and still running strong!
Here's the thing though...I want to say I've noticed it grinds when I shift at lower RPM's. At higher revs it goes through like butter. I also want to say I've noticed its mostly the lower gears, 1-2-3 and maybe 4. Never had an issue with 5 and 6. You guys still think its me?
Appreciate 0
      03-24-2014, 01:37 PM   #5
Gumulri
Captain
Gumulri's Avatar
South Korea
9
Rep
686
Posts

Drives: BMW 335i convertible[sold]
Join Date: May 2008
Location: La Mirada

iTrader: (2)

Garage List
2008 335i  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Charlie@McKennaBMWService View Post
^What he said... The manual transmission in the E9X M3 does take some time getting used to compared to most vehicles... I feel like the positioning of the gears/shifter are not in your normal positions if you will, I found it very abnormal for me to drive one, where as a Japanese vehicle you can kind of just jump into one and go.
or take it to mckenna and charlie to check it out
I just had a service by him and came out good result so I am happy with my car.
__________________
08 E90 SSII M3 6MT for track
13 E350 mbs for wife
2012 Honda Oddessey Touring for kids
2014 toyota Fj cruiser 4x4 for me
Appreciate 0
      03-24-2014, 01:41 PM   #6
LazyBear15
New Member
LazyBear15's Avatar
Armenia
0
Rep
25
Posts

Drives: E92 M3
Join Date: Mar 2014
Location: United States

iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gumulri View Post
or take it to mckenna and charlie to check it out
I just had a service by him and came out good result so I am happy with my car.
I bought my first BMW (E60) from Mckenna. Really good dealership. They take care of their customers. I live in Glendale but would avoid Pacific BMW at all costs and choose to drive 30+mins for Mckenna. Maybe ill take it by there.
Appreciate 0
      03-24-2014, 01:48 PM   #7
Gumulri
Captain
Gumulri's Avatar
South Korea
9
Rep
686
Posts

Drives: BMW 335i convertible[sold]
Join Date: May 2008
Location: La Mirada

iTrader: (2)

Garage List
2008 335i  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by LazyBear15 View Post
I bought my first BMW (E60) from Mckenna. Really good dealership. They take care of their customers. I live in Glendale but would avoid Pacific BMW at all costs and choose to drive 30+mins for Mckenna. Maybe ill take it by there.
charlie driving a nice looking E92 m3 make sure ask him for a ride to home. he will give you ride
__________________
08 E90 SSII M3 6MT for track
13 E350 mbs for wife
2012 Honda Oddessey Touring for kids
2014 toyota Fj cruiser 4x4 for me
Appreciate 0
      03-24-2014, 03:10 PM   #8
Charlie@McKennaBMWService
Charlie@McKennaBMWService's Avatar
United_States
55
Rep
582
Posts

Drives: '13 AW E92 M3
Join Date: Apr 2013
Location: 10900 Firestone Blvd Norwalk, CA 90650

iTrader: (2)

Garage List
2013 BMW M3  [0.00]
2008 BMW M3  [0.00]
2006 Subaru STI  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by LazyBear15 View Post
I bought my first BMW (E60) from Mckenna. Really good dealership. They take care of their customers. I live in Glendale but would avoid Pacific BMW at all costs and choose to drive 30+mins for Mckenna. Maybe ill take it by there.
Awesome man! Whenever you need service man feel free to PM me at anytime! Pacific is that bad huh?
Appreciate 0
      03-24-2014, 08:00 PM   #9
pkimM3r
Banned
pkimM3r's Avatar
103
Rep
7,315
Posts

Drives: m3 saloon in granny mode.
Join Date: Dec 2009
Location: lost angeles

iTrader: (0)

I dont grind gears but sometimes its a pain to get into first. Where are you located?
Appreciate 0
      03-25-2014, 12:30 AM   #10
LazyBear15
New Member
LazyBear15's Avatar
Armenia
0
Rep
25
Posts

Drives: E92 M3
Join Date: Mar 2014
Location: United States

iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by pkim1079 View Post
I dont grind gears but sometimes its a pain to get into first. Where are you located?
Glendale/Burbank. I really want to get a second and third opinion before its too late and I possibly need to replace a clutch and some.
Appreciate 0
      03-25-2014, 12:48 AM   #11
pkimM3r
Banned
pkimM3r's Avatar
103
Rep
7,315
Posts

Drives: m3 saloon in granny mode.
Join Date: Dec 2009
Location: lost angeles

iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by LazyBear15
Quote:
Originally Posted by pkim1079 View Post
I dont grind gears but sometimes its a pain to get into first. Where are you located?
Glendale/Burbank. I really want to get a second and third opinion before its too late and I possibly need to replace a clutch and some.
You ever in downtown/hollywood/wilshire area?
Appreciate 0
      03-25-2014, 12:54 AM   #12
LazyBear15
New Member
LazyBear15's Avatar
Armenia
0
Rep
25
Posts

Drives: E92 M3
Join Date: Mar 2014
Location: United States

iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by pkim1079 View Post
I dont grind gears but sometimes its a pain to get into first. Where are you located?
Quote:
Originally Posted by pkim1079 View Post
You ever in downtown/hollywood/wilshire area?
I actually work on Wilshire but closer to Bevery Hills. I can drop down to the downtown area on Saturday if you're down?
Appreciate 0
      03-25-2014, 01:31 AM   #13
pkimM3r
Banned
pkimM3r's Avatar
103
Rep
7,315
Posts

Drives: m3 saloon in granny mode.
Join Date: Dec 2009
Location: lost angeles

iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by LazyBear15
Quote:
Originally Posted by pkim1079 View Post
I dont grind gears but sometimes its a pain to get into first. Where are you located?
Quote:
Originally Posted by pkim1079 View Post
You ever in downtown/hollywood/wilshire area?
I actually work on Wilshire but closer to Bevery Hills. I can drop down to the downtown area on Saturday if you're down?
I work in hollywood what time do you get off?
Appreciate 0
      03-25-2014, 01:35 AM   #14
PERFM3
Second Lieutenant
PERFM3's Avatar
4
Rep
293
Posts

Drives: E92 M3 MT
Join Date: Oct 2013
Location: SoCal!

iTrader: (4)

Go see Herb at PitStop Motor Tuning in Glendale. He did my clutch and I had the same issues you're mentioning. We have double plate clutch and it sound like one of them might be done. PSMT (818) 937 9336
__________________
Appreciate 0
      03-25-2014, 01:43 AM   #15
Hershey
CLU KINGSMEN
9
Rep
520
Posts

Drives: E92
Join Date: Aug 2009
Location: Green Valley, CA

iTrader: (3)

I had the 1st to 2nd grind issue as well when the car was new (2011 MY). It happened frequently (maybe 2x-3x a month) after the first startup of the day. I thought it was due to the cold weather and new clutch combo with me getting used to shifting the manual. Over the past couple of years the grinding went away on its own as I put more miles on the car

who knows? Hopefully the issue is gone now and no major damage has been dished out to the clutch lol
__________________
E92 M3 Satin Black GTS ModeCarbon Rimier MotorSports Premier Protective Films
HRE || RECARO || KW
Appreciate 0
      03-25-2014, 10:37 AM   #16
LazyBear15
New Member
LazyBear15's Avatar
Armenia
0
Rep
25
Posts

Drives: E92 M3
Join Date: Mar 2014
Location: United States

iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by pkim1079 View Post
I work in hollywood what time do you get off?
4-4:30

Quote:
Originally Posted by PERFM3 View Post
Go see Herb at PitStop Motor Tuning in Glendale. He did my clutch and I had the same issues you're mentioning. We have double plate clutch and it sound like one of them might be done. PSMT (818) 937 9336
Thanks!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hershey View Post
I had the 1st to 2nd grind issue as well when the car was new (2011 MY). It happened frequently (maybe 2x-3x a month) after the first startup of the day. I thought it was due to the cold weather and new clutch combo with me getting used to shifting the manual. Over the past couple of years the grinding went away on its own as I put more miles on the car

who knows? Hopefully the issue is gone now and no major damage has been dished out to the clutch lol
I bought the car used. 2010 with 44k miles. And mine happens everyday when I drive throughout my drive. Not just once or twice.
Appreciate 0
      03-25-2014, 10:52 AM   #17
pkimM3r
Banned
pkimM3r's Avatar
103
Rep
7,315
Posts

Drives: m3 saloon in granny mode.
Join Date: Dec 2009
Location: lost angeles

iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by LazyBear15
Quote:
Originally Posted by pkim1079 View Post
I work in hollywood what time do you get off?
4-4:30

Quote:
Originally Posted by PERFM3 View Post
Go see Herb at PitStop Motor Tuning in Glendale. He did my clutch and I had the same issues you're mentioning. We have double plate clutch and it sound like one of them might be done. PSMT (818) 937 9336
Thanks!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hershey View Post
I had the 1st to 2nd grind issue as well when the car was new (2011 MY). It happened frequently (maybe 2x-3x a month) after the first startup of the day. I thought it was due to the cold weather and new clutch combo with me getting used to shifting the manual. Over the past couple of years the grinding went away on its own as I put more miles on the car

who knows? Hopefully the issue is gone now and no major damage has been dished out to the clutch lol
I bought the car used. 2010 with 44k miles. And mine happens everyday when I drive throughout my drive. Not just once or twice.
I usually get out pretty late but you shouldn't be getting too much grinding. I can try driving your car around normally and see if it is mechanical or driver error. Hopefully its not mechanical. Send me a pm if you want to meet up. Maybe this weekend?
Appreciate 0
      03-29-2014, 09:18 PM   #18
pkimM3r
Banned
pkimM3r's Avatar
103
Rep
7,315
Posts

Drives: m3 saloon in granny mode.
Join Date: Dec 2009
Location: lost angeles

iTrader: (0)

Glad we addressed this. Be smooth! Haha
Appreciate 0
      04-02-2014, 05:20 PM   #19
LazyBear15
New Member
LazyBear15's Avatar
Armenia
0
Rep
25
Posts

Drives: E92 M3
Join Date: Mar 2014
Location: United States

iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by SlowSaloonM3 View Post
Glad we addressed this. Be smooth! Haha
haha thanks Phil!!
Appreciate 0
Post Reply

Bookmarks

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Forum Jump


All times are GMT -4. The time now is 05:59 AM.




m3post
m3post
Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.7.0
Copyright ©2000 - 2015, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
1Addicts.com, BIMMERPOST.com, E90Post.com, F30Post.com, M3Post.com, ZPost.com, 5Post.com, 6Post.com, 7Post.com, XBimmers.com logo and trademark are properties of BIMMERPOST