BMW M3 Forum (E90 E92)

BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   M3Post - BMW M3 Forum > BIMMERPOST Universal Forums > Off-Topic Discussions Board > Politics/Religion

06-26-2013, 11:42 PM   #45
Petrosexual
Private
United_States
Rep

Drives: M Roadster

Can we sue them for irreversibly polluting and destroying the //M brand ?
Appreciate 0
      06-27-2013, 12:00 AM   #46
williamf
Audi Convert
United_States
Rep

Drives: Past: 335i Now: TTRS stage 2+

Quote:
Originally Posted by litxus View Post
From all of these events I wonder if large employers have "race" quotas in order to "diversify" their workforce so they would not get hit with stupid lawsuits? In other words if I hire anyone I want and that happens to be of certain race I will get hit with discrimination lawsuit?
You bet there are quotas. It is called affirmative action. This is just a nice way of saying discriminating in favor of minorities, just because they are minorities, not because they are more qualified or even equally qualified.

Affirmative action is a completely outdated concept and it actually is counter productive. Every professional minority that I know, which is quite a few, consider affirmative action an insult to their intelligence.

I do believe affirmative action had its place in our history and on a very limited scale in very specific areas, it may still be useful, but as a whole our society does not need it.
Appreciate 0
      06-27-2013, 12:02 AM   #47
Purple88Gold
Holding Out
No_Country
Rep

Drives: 88 Honda Civic DX

Quote:
Originally Posted by williamf View Post
You bet there are quotas. It is called affirmative action. This is just a nice way of saying discriminating in favor of minorities, just because they are minorities, not because they are more qualified or even equally qualified.

Affirmative action is a completely outdated concept and it actually is counter productive. Every professional minority that I know, which is quite a few, consider affirmative action an insult to their intelligence.

I do believe affirmative action had its place in our history and on a very limited scale in very specific areas, it may still be useful, but as a whole our society does not need it.
+1
      06-27-2013, 11:24 AM   #48
Mr Tonka
Tonka.... Mr. Tonka
United_States
Rep

Drives: Exceptionally well :)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Team Plutonium View Post
This thread is full of win.
Right. Makes other political threads look down right intelligent!

"Government is the great fiction, through which everybody endeavors to live at the expense of everybody else." — Frédéric Bastiat
Appreciate 0
      06-27-2013, 01:54 PM   #49
bbbbmw
Lieutenant
Rep

Drives: 135i

Quote:
Originally Posted by tony20009
So long as they are applying the background check to all potential employees, I don't have an issue with them doing so. My firm performs such checks on all candidates for employment, indeed, we check for more than criminal records.

If the management at the SC plant are selectively, based on race, checking up on folks, that is unfair and that inequity should be addressed. After all, the fact is that black people do not commit the majority of crimes that are unsuccessfully attempted and black people aren't the majority of people who are incarcerated. (http://www.bop.gov/news/quick.jsp) It is true that a greater percentage of the black population, as compared with other races, is in jail, but the arithmetic of the matter can by itself be the cause for that statistic.
18% of our overall prison population is Mexican citizens?
      07-12-2013, 07:50 PM   #50
Z4inAZ
Second Lieutenant
Rep

Drives: Z4 2.5 03

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eddien123 View Post
Anyone else agree that could be doing better things than telling a company that's not in his country what to do?
BMW NA is in his country...

Furthermore, are you actually implying that because BMW is a German brand, they should not have to follow US laws while conducting business in the US?

It does not and should not matter what country you are from, if you are in the US you follow US laws. Same goes for any other country.

I would be surprised if BMW only runs background checks on African Americans. I would imagine they run background checks on everyone
Appreciate 0