BMW M3 Forum (E90 E92)

BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read


Go Back   M3Post - BMW M3 Forum > E90/E92 M3 Technical Topics > Engine, Transmission, Exhaust, Drivetrain, ECU Software Modifications
 
GTB Performance
Post Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
      07-08-2013, 08:29 PM   #1
WERKE
President Directeur General
 
WERKE's Avatar
 
Drives: E92 M3
Join Date: Mar 2007
Location: Somewhere over the rainbow

Posts: 163
iTrader: (1)

Advice

During acceleration to + / - 6000rpm, the engine is turned Limp mode. Restarting the vehicle, no problem, as if nothing had happened. Back at home, Bavarian tool gives me this:

Replace Coil#6? Sparkplugs? The tips are welcome, thank you in advance.

2B6C:
M-ingnition coil cylinder 6
Error will cause a warning light
Error is currently present
Test conditions have been completed
Short circuit or signal interruption



--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

2B57:
Motor emergency programm activated
Error will not cause a warning light
Error is not currently present
Test conditions have been completed
Signal or value below threshold
__________________
ESS VT1-535, Remus race
WERKE is offline   Canada
0
Reply With Quote
      07-08-2013, 08:47 PM   #2
Mike Benvo
BimmerPost Supporting Vendor

 
Mike Benvo's Avatar
 
Drives: Harrop SC M3 / E46 M3 / 7Turbo
Join Date: Apr 2008
Location: SoCal

Posts: 4,704
iTrader: (7)

Garage List
2008 BMW M3  [5.00]
1990 BMW 735i Turbo  [5.00]
2004 BMW M3  [0.00]
Send a message via Skype™ to Mike Benvo
Quote:
Originally Posted by WERKE
During acceleration to + / - 6000rpm, the engine is turned Limp mode. Restarting the vehicle, no problem, as if nothing had happened. Back at home, Bavarian tool gives me this:

Replace Coil#6? Sparkplugs? The tips are welcome, thank you in advance.

2B6C:
M-ingnition coil cylinder 6
Error will cause a warning light
Error is currently present
Test conditions have been completed
Short circuit or signal interruption



--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

2B57:
Motor emergency programm activated
Error will not cause a warning light
Error is not currently present
Test conditions have been completed
Signal or value below threshold
Happened to me on cylinder 3 a few months ago.

Pulled the coil out and looked at the plug and it looked perfect. Replaced that coil and two track days later the car is still running perfect. Probably a dead coil would be my guess.
__________________

-----| Like us on Facebook | Instagram || Tuning Information | Remote Coding |-----
----Visit us at www.BPMSport.com - Emotion. Driven. | Toll Free: (888) 557-5133----
Mike Benvo is offline   United_States
0
Reply With Quote
      07-08-2013, 09:00 PM   #3
anselmw
Second Lieutenant
 
Drives: 2001 M Coupe, 2011 E90 M3
Join Date: May 2012
Location: Long Island, NY

Posts: 221
iTrader: (0)

So does that mean the error message does not come back if the coil is dead? That woud be odd.
__________________
2011 E90 M3
2001 M Coupe
2015 Macan Turbo
anselmw is offline  
0
Reply With Quote
      07-08-2013, 09:14 PM   #4
Mike Benvo
BimmerPost Supporting Vendor

 
Mike Benvo's Avatar
 
Drives: Harrop SC M3 / E46 M3 / 7Turbo
Join Date: Apr 2008
Location: SoCal

Posts: 4,704
iTrader: (7)

Garage List
2008 BMW M3  [5.00]
1990 BMW 735i Turbo  [5.00]
2004 BMW M3  [0.00]
Send a message via Skype™ to Mike Benvo
Quote:
Originally Posted by anselmw
So does that mean the error message does not come back if the coil is dead? That woud be odd.
Dead as in failing...

If he goes and pushes it to 6000rpm again it will throw the same error. It's likely he can hear the car missing also.
__________________

-----| Like us on Facebook | Instagram || Tuning Information | Remote Coding |-----
----Visit us at www.BPMSport.com - Emotion. Driven. | Toll Free: (888) 557-5133----
Mike Benvo is offline   United_States
0
Reply With Quote
      07-09-2013, 10:44 AM   #5
WERKE
President Directeur General
 
WERKE's Avatar
 
Drives: E92 M3
Join Date: Mar 2007
Location: Somewhere over the rainbow

Posts: 163
iTrader: (1)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike Benvo View Post
Happened to me on cylinder 3 a few months ago.

Pulled the coil out and looked at the plug and it looked perfect. Replaced that coil and two track days later the car is still running perfect. Probably a dead coil would be my guess.
Hi Mike, thank you for your input, appreciate; i will replace the coil and hope this fix the problem.

The reliability of this 80K $ car is very imperfect:
2010: dead battery
2011: Idle control valve
2012: secondary air pump (non-repaired)
2013: coil
__________________
ESS VT1-535, Remus race
WERKE is offline   Canada
0
Reply With Quote
      07-10-2013, 04:34 AM   #6
Mike Benvo
BimmerPost Supporting Vendor

 
Mike Benvo's Avatar
 
Drives: Harrop SC M3 / E46 M3 / 7Turbo
Join Date: Apr 2008
Location: SoCal

Posts: 4,704
iTrader: (7)

Garage List
2008 BMW M3  [5.00]
1990 BMW 735i Turbo  [5.00]
2004 BMW M3  [0.00]
Send a message via Skype™ to Mike Benvo
Quote:
Originally Posted by WERKE View Post
Hi Mike, thank you for your input, appreciate; i will replace the coil and hope this fix the problem.

The reliability of this 80K $ car is very imperfect:
2010: dead battery
2011: Idle control valve
2012: secondary air pump (non-repaired)
2013: coil
Don't forget the throttle actuators! They are next

My car just had a passenger door lock actuator fail. Had it replaced @ dealer today.

They have their host of issues like anything else but are worth it in the end.
__________________

-----| Like us on Facebook | Instagram || Tuning Information | Remote Coding |-----
----Visit us at www.BPMSport.com - Emotion. Driven. | Toll Free: (888) 557-5133----
Mike Benvo is offline   United_States
0
Reply With Quote
      07-10-2013, 07:05 AM   #7
WERKE
President Directeur General
 
WERKE's Avatar
 
Drives: E92 M3
Join Date: Mar 2007
Location: Somewhere over the rainbow

Posts: 163
iTrader: (1)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike Benvo View Post
Don't forget the throttle actuators! They are next

My car just had a passenger door lock actuator fail. Had it replaced @ dealer today.

They have their host of issues like anything else but are worth it in the end.
I know, I know, I can not convince me that I would be happier with another car ... despite his mood swings.

By the way Mike, what are the symptoms announcing problems with the actuators? Do you have any idea of ​​the price of these parts?

Thank you in advance
__________________
ESS VT1-535, Remus race
WERKE is offline   Canada
0
Reply With Quote
      07-10-2013, 07:10 AM   #8
ibmike
What the Hell ?
 
ibmike's Avatar
 
Drives: 2011 M3 e92 DCT
Join Date: May 2013
Location: Michigan

Posts: 1,518
iTrader: (6)

This Place seem to have Good prices on OEM BMW parts=http://bmwpartsunlimited.com/
__________________
Life's a Bitch,Just make sure that Bitch is Beautiful.
ibmike is offline   United_States
0
Reply With Quote
      07-10-2013, 08:36 AM   #9
happos2
Dingleberries
 
Drives: Gray E92 M3
Join Date: May 2012
Location: Indiana

Posts: 1,161
iTrader: (2)

Quote:
Originally Posted by WERKE View Post
I know, I know, I can not convince me that I would be happier with another car ... despite his mood swings.

By the way Mike, what are the symptoms announcing problems with the actuators? Do you have any idea of ​​the price of these parts?

Thank you in advance
Here is my thread when my acutator went. Got it replaced under warranty which would have been about 1700-1800 dollars overall. (800 for acutator and about $1000 for labor, though the DIY seems pretty easy. I had a warranty so I didn't do the DIY).

http://www.m3post.com/forums/showthread.php?t=836026
happos2 is offline  
0
Reply With Quote
Post Reply

Bookmarks

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Forum Jump


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 07:59 AM.




m3post
Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.7.0
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
1Addicts.com, BIMMERPOST.com, E90Post.com, F30Post.com, M3Post.com, ZPost.com, 5Post.com, 6Post.com, 7Post.com, XBimmers.com logo and trademark are properties of BIMMERPOST