BMW M3 Forum (E90 E92)

BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read


Go Back   M3Post - BMW M3 Forum > E90/E92 M3 Technical Topics > Wheels + Tires Sponsored by The Tire Rack
  TireRack

KEEP M3POST ALIVE BY DOING YOUR TIRERACK SHOPPING FROM THIS BANNER LINK!
Post Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
      06-20-2013, 03:04 PM   #1
Pertplus
Colonel
Pertplus's Avatar
United_States
46
Rep
2,386
Posts

 
Drives: 2014 991 Turbo S
Join Date: Jun 2013
Location: San Diego, California

iTrader: (7)

Garage List
2015 M235i  [0.00]
2014 Porsche 991 C2S  [5.00]
For those of you driving on city streets lowered and on 19"s wheels...

And I am talking about the streets similar to the ones that I drive on in downtown San Diego....so, those of you who endure potholes, cavernous dips, etc. and do so with a lowered car and 19"s.

I am just trying to see if there is a consensus because my car just entered production, and its not coming with the Comp. Package or any 19" factory wheels, and while I can always test to see how the streets are with the stock 18s, that won't tell me how much worse it will get on 19s.

I am not worried about the risk of bending, curbing or damaging a bigger wheel. What I am worried about, is having an extremely uncomfortable ride on downtown city streets, for the sake of aesthetic appeal. I did it with my Mercedes C63 and I am doing it to a much lesser degree with my current CLS63. So any opinions would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks!
Appreciate 0
      06-20-2013, 03:21 PM   #2
gatorfast
Colonel
gatorfast's Avatar
32
Rep
2,662
Posts

 
Drives: MR E90 M3
Join Date: Jan 2008
Location: SoFla

iTrader: (3)

Ride quality will be noticeably worse with 19's compared to 18's
Appreciate 0
      06-20-2013, 03:29 PM   #3
elm3
M3 Lover
elm3's Avatar
United_States
26
Rep
1,864
Posts

 
Drives: 2009 e92 M3 Interlagos Blue
Join Date: Sep 2008
Location: Canton, GA.

iTrader: (1)

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by gatorfast View Post
Ride quality will be noticeably worse with 19's compared to 18's
+1 this
__________________
'09 E92 ///M3 Interlagos Blue, 6MT, Silver Novillo Leather, CF Trim, Premium Package, Technology Package, Cold Weather Package, Premium Sound, 19" Wheels, Moonroof-Toy/ '14 335i, Sport Line, Premium Package, Technology Package, 19" wheels, Heated Seats - Daily Driver/ '04 Yamaha R1 - Toy/ '06 Yamaha Raptor 350-Toy
Appreciate 0
      06-20-2013, 04:07 PM   #4
ibmike
What the Hell ?
ibmike's Avatar
United_States
17
Rep
1,518
Posts

 
Drives: 2011 M3 e92 DCT
Join Date: May 2013
Location: Michigan

iTrader: (6)

Quote:
Originally Posted by gatorfast View Post
Ride quality will be noticeably worse with 19's compared to 18's
Yah but so will handling. i have Comp package w/19's and i live in the Hell hole, i mean Michigan and ive had no prob's.
__________________
Life's a Bitch,Just make sure that Bitch is Beautiful.
Appreciate 0
      06-20-2013, 04:24 PM   #5
Z K
Colonel
Z K's Avatar
United_States
26
Rep
2,174
Posts

 
Drives: E90 M3, MK6 GLI
Join Date: Jul 2011
Location: San Francisco

iTrader: (3)

I drive in San Francisco with coilover suspension and 18" wheels and I feel like I need a CUV. The streets here are bombed out with many streets having not been fixed in 30 years. I crawl on some roads at 5 mph pissing off the people behind me to avoid denting the 18" rims.

Definitely avoid the 19" if you care about your car or your own backside.
__________________
Auto Detailing Enthusiast!
Appreciate 0
      06-20-2013, 04:49 PM   #6
Pertplus
Colonel
Pertplus's Avatar
United_States
46
Rep
2,386
Posts

 
Drives: 2014 991 Turbo S
Join Date: Jun 2013
Location: San Diego, California

iTrader: (7)

Garage List
2015 M235i  [0.00]
2014 Porsche 991 C2S  [5.00]
Thanks! I figured logic dictates that the ride quality would worsen, but the question is how much worse (obviously something that is very subjective to the tastes of the individual driver), and from the majority of the responses, it's pretty clear that the ride quality decline is somewhat significant.
Appreciate 0
      06-20-2013, 05:39 PM   #7
FVM3
Major General
FVM3's Avatar
113
Rep
5,739
Posts

 
Drives: e92 m3, f30 328i
Join Date: Sep 2010
Location: Los Angeles

iTrader: (2)

Downtown LA area, no problem with 19" and kw v3
Appreciate 0
      06-20-2013, 06:23 PM   #8
M3PO
Colonel
M3PO's Avatar
34
Rep
2,777
Posts

 
Drives: '08 IB E92
Join Date: Sep 2011
Location: OC

iTrader: (7)

SD streets are surprisingly terrible! I wouldn't own this (especially lowered with nice wheels) if I had to deal with those roads!

OC roads are smooth as silk! :nannernanner:
__________________
2008 IB E92 M3| BBS | KW | Arkym | Platte Forme A.G. | Active Autowerke | K&N | Fabspeed | Dinan | Evolve-R
Appreciate 0
      06-20-2013, 06:29 PM   #9
robotk
Second Lieutenant
robotk's Avatar
4
Rep
269
Posts

 
Drives: e90 m3
Join Date: Jan 2013
Location: SE

iTrader: (1)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pertplus View Post
And I am talking about the streets similar to the ones that I drive on in downtown San Diego....so, those of you who endure potholes, cavernous dips, etc. and do so with a lowered car and 19"s.

I am just trying to see if there is a consensus because my car just entered production, and its not coming with the Comp. Package or any 19" factory wheels, and while I can always test to see how the streets are with the stock 18s, that won't tell me how much worse it will get on 19s.

I am not worried about the risk of bending, curbing or damaging a bigger wheel. What I am worried about, is having an extremely uncomfortable ride on downtown city streets, for the sake of aesthetic appeal. I did it with my Mercedes C63 and I am doing it to a much lesser degree with my current CLS63. So any opinions would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks!
I'm on eibachs and 19 inch wheels - it's not that big a deal. The car looks so much better on 19s. I wouldn't call the ride extremely uncomfortable. The change to eibachs made a bigger difference than switching to 19s, btw.
__________________
1993 e36 325i, 1999 e46 328i, 2005 ap2 s2000, 2007 WRX STi, 2008 g37s coupe, 2009 Audi a4 2.0T Avant
Appreciate 0
      06-20-2013, 07:03 PM   #10
Wendall
***Major MammelToe
Wendall's Avatar
United_States
37
Rep
1,146
Posts

 
Drives: E92 M3 SG coupe
Join Date: Feb 2012
Location: Orange County, CA

iTrader: (3)

Quote:
Originally Posted by FVM3 View Post
Downtown LA area, no problem with 19" and kw v3
Word. I live in OC and I work in Downtown LA. While I dont commute in my M3 every day. I do drive often. I have 19's and KW clubsports (pretty low) and it drives fine. My wife doesnt even complain.

I am about 4 inches from the ground.
__________________
E92 M3 SG DCT - AA Filter, Verstraβe Paddles, ECS SS, MH race stud, Stoptech BBK, MR Exhaust,RE Pulley, BPM Tune,Euro bumper and GTS lip, Euro MDM & DCT, KW CS, Recaro PP, TMS Soild Diff Mounts, MRF solid subframe mounts, GTS aero, RPM track built motor.

Appreciate 0
      06-20-2013, 07:14 PM   #11
FogCityM3
Lieutenant Colonel
FogCityM3's Avatar
35
Rep
1,732
Posts

 
Drives: M3 (E90)
Join Date: Feb 2012
Location: San Francisco

iTrader: (0)

19s w/ ZCP and driving in city (SF) is pretty bad. Actually ruined the front stock struts due to extensive construction on the roads (which were replaced under warranty and I have been much more careful since then). If you're doing mostly city driving over poor roads, would seriously consider going 18s non-lowered.
Appreciate 0
      06-20-2013, 08:31 PM   #12
tdott
Lieutenant
8
Rep
471
Posts

 
Drives: M3
Join Date: Nov 2010
Location: T.Dot

iTrader: (1)

The 19s w/EDC surprised me at how well it soaks up bumpy roads. The car is much more comfortable than I was imagining it to be.

But then again I've never driven on stock 18s, so that can be even better. But my point is that for how capable this car is, it's surprisingly compliant and smooth when it needs to be, yet ready to pounce.

Last edited by tdott; 06-20-2013 at 08:49 PM.
Appreciate 0
      06-20-2013, 08:49 PM   #13
Pertplus
Colonel
Pertplus's Avatar
United_States
46
Rep
2,386
Posts

 
Drives: 2014 991 Turbo S
Join Date: Jun 2013
Location: San Diego, California

iTrader: (7)

Garage List
2015 M235i  [0.00]
2014 Porsche 991 C2S  [5.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by FogCityM3 View Post
19s w/ ZCP and driving in city (SF) is pretty bad. Actually ruined the front stock struts due to extensive construction on the roads (which were replaced under warranty and I have been much more careful since then). If you're doing mostly city driving over poor roads, would seriously consider going 18s non-lowered.
So what's funny is I text my boy late today (who has this car: http://www.m3post.com/forums/showthread.php?t=719611) and I ask him how the drive is. He's like "pretty smooth" (he lives outside downtown SD). So then I ask him how it is in downtown and I get this response "Oh I hate driving downtown....it's brutal."
Appreciate 0
      06-20-2013, 08:55 PM   #14
Ezio
Brigadier General
Ezio's Avatar
United_States
44
Rep
3,027
Posts

 
Drives: 2013 E92 M3
Join Date: Nov 2012
Location: MI

iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by ibmike View Post
Yah but so will handling. i have Comp package w/19's and i live in the Hell hole, i mean Michigan and ive had no prob's.
right ? these CA boys dont know what bad roads really look like.
__________________
Appreciate 0
      06-20-2013, 08:56 PM   #15
Ezio
Brigadier General
Ezio's Avatar
United_States
44
Rep
3,027
Posts

 
Drives: 2013 E92 M3
Join Date: Nov 2012
Location: MI

iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pertplus View Post
And I am talking about the streets similar to the ones that I drive on in downtown San Diego....so, those of you who endure potholes, cavernous dips, etc. and do so with a lowered car and 19"s.

I am just trying to see if there is a consensus because my car just entered production, and its not coming with the Comp. Package or any 19" factory wheels, and while I can always test to see how the streets are with the stock 18s, that won't tell me how much worse it will get on 19s.

I am not worried about the risk of bending, curbing or damaging a bigger wheel. What I am worried about, is having an extremely uncomfortable ride on downtown city streets, for the sake of aesthetic appeal. I did it with my Mercedes C63 and I am doing it to a much lesser degree with my current CLS63. So any opinions would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks!
IMO the 18s are the worse "option" one can have on a M3.
__________________
Appreciate 0
      06-20-2013, 09:12 PM   #16
Chriskm3
Colonel
Chriskm3's Avatar
Canada
28
Rep
2,218
Posts

 
Drives: M3
Join Date: Jul 2012
Location: Toronto

iTrader: (4)

Quote:
Originally Posted by gatorfast View Post
Ride quality will be noticeably worse with 19's compared to 18's
I would not say noticeably. It's mostly dependant on tire size
__________________
Vf supercharger + tune/H&R coils/ Akra evolution exhaust/Volk te37/ Rs-3 tires/ Brembos /TIal BOV/ OSS blacked out headlights/LUX v3/Led taillights/ Challenge Front lip/ P3 vent gauge/ F10 m5 shift mob/Matte black front grills/ And a funky air fresher
Appreciate 0
      06-20-2013, 09:22 PM   #17
gatorfast
Colonel
gatorfast's Avatar
32
Rep
2,662
Posts

 
Drives: MR E90 M3
Join Date: Jan 2008
Location: SoFla

iTrader: (3)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chriskm3 View Post
I would not say noticeably. It's mostly dependant on tire size
I'm talking stock sizes. I have had both oem 19s and 18s on my car and can attest to the fact the 18s are much more comfortable.
Appreciate 0
      06-20-2013, 09:25 PM   #18
FogCityM3
Lieutenant Colonel
FogCityM3's Avatar
35
Rep
1,732
Posts

 
Drives: M3 (E90)
Join Date: Feb 2012
Location: San Francisco

iTrader: (0)

Yeah, for me my commute is about 4 miles on not so great city roads and highways for 14 miles, so for me personally the trade off is worth it (love the looks of ZCP), but if I were in the city all the time, I'd probably have a different opinion. Sounds like you made the right decision.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pertplus View Post
So what's funny is I text my boy late today (who has this car: http://www.m3post.com/forums/showthread.php?t=719611) and I ask him how the drive is. He's like "pretty smooth" (he lives outside downtown SD). So then I ask him how it is in downtown and I get this response "Oh I hate driving downtown....it's brutal."
Appreciate 0
      06-21-2013, 12:05 AM   #19
SD-E93-11
First Lieutenant
United_States
3
Rep
324
Posts

 
Drives: 2011 E93 M3 Jerez Black/Black
Join Date: Sep 2011
Location: San Diego, CA

iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pertplus View Post
And I am talking about the streets similar to the ones that I drive on in downtown San Diego....so, those of you who endure potholes, cavernous dips, etc. and do so with a lowered car and 19"s.
OEM 19s and EDC - I've had no issues on those same "mean" streets of San Diego. I do find normal mode to be uncomfortable vs. sport or comfort under all conditions.
Appreciate 0
      06-21-2013, 12:12 AM   #20
Mo0pie
Enlisted Member
0
Rep
32
Posts

 
Drives: 2010 AW Coupe
Join Date: Jun 2013
Location: Brooklyn, NY

iTrader: (0)

I live in NY and coming from a 335 to a M3. Haven't had a single problem. M3 ride quality is much better from the 335 and the 19s are absolutely fine as long as you don't hit a pothole flying down the freeway you'll be fine. Friend of mine has his lowered and the only times he has problems is in and out of steep driveways and speed bumps. But as for rim size I've experience 18s and 19s and I haven't noticed much of a difference. You've had some experience in AMGs you should already know the drill.
Appreciate 0
      06-21-2013, 12:30 AM   #21
808MGuy
Colonel
808MGuy's Avatar
49
Rep
2,287
Posts

 
Drives: 2009 E90 M3
Join Date: Jun 2008
Location: Oahu, Hawaii

iTrader: (3)

Never had an issue on 19s and I barely noticed a difference when I changed out my springs to Eibachs. Noticed a little bit of a difference when going to 20s on Eibachs but still not that bad. Changed tires on the 20s from Vreds to PS2 and that seemed to make more of a difference than the actual change in wheel size. PS2 are much more comfortable than Vreds.
__________________
09 E90 M3 - Interlagos Blue / Black Novillo / Sycamore Anthracite / Eibach / HRE

Appreciate 0
      06-21-2013, 01:43 AM   #22
Pertplus
Colonel
Pertplus's Avatar
United_States
46
Rep
2,386
Posts

 
Drives: 2014 991 Turbo S
Join Date: Jun 2013
Location: San Diego, California

iTrader: (7)

Garage List
2015 M235i  [0.00]
2014 Porsche 991 C2S  [5.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mo0pie View Post
I live in NY and coming from a 335 to a M3. Haven't had a single problem. M3 ride quality is much better from the 335 and the 19s are absolutely fine as long as you don't hit a pothole flying down the freeway you'll be fine. Friend of mine has his lowered and the only times he has problems is in and out of steep driveways and speed bumps. But as for rim size I've experience 18s and 19s and I haven't noticed much of a difference. You've had some experience in AMGs you should already know the drill.
Yeah but the C63 suspension was awful on 18s and slightly more awful on 19s, so the wheel size didn't make that much of a difference.
Appreciate 0
Post Reply

Bookmarks

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Forum Jump


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 03:02 PM.




m3post
Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.7.0
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
1Addicts.com, BIMMERPOST.com, E90Post.com, F30Post.com, M3Post.com, ZPost.com, 5Post.com, 6Post.com, 7Post.com, XBimmers.com logo and trademark are properties of BIMMERPOST