BMW M3 Forum (E90 E92)

BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read


Go Back   M3Post - BMW M3 Forum > E90/E92 M3 Technical Topics > Engine, Transmission, Exhaust, Drivetrain, ECU Software Modifications
 
GetBMWParts
Post Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
      06-17-2013, 04:56 AM   #1
DuaneTh
Private
0
Rep
66
Posts

Drives: M3 2008 E92
Join Date: Aug 2012
Location: Brisbane Australia

iTrader: (0)

Engine Misfire on all 8 cylinders - twice

All

I have a 2008 E92 M3 with 35,000 kilometers (not miles)

I have had two instances in the past week of the car throwing an engine error code when warming up. The report shows a misfire on all 8 cylinders. On the first instance I had a low fuel level so BMW thought either moisture or possibly something in the fuel. I put in a full tank of E98 but then got another error. The car seems to be running fine and does not miss a beat even during warm up, it is just the light comes on.

I have also noticed a slight knock when the car is warm and idling, it is very slight even to the point I wonder if I am being pedantic but I do notice it. I know my car and there is a knock or rougher idle.

Any ideas? BMW says it is fine and possibly to change the plugs.
Appreciate 0
      06-17-2013, 06:22 AM   #2
QOM39Z
New Member
QOM39Z's Avatar
Australia
0
Rep
16
Posts

Drives: 2008 e92 M3 6spd
Join Date: Nov 2011
Location: South East QLD

iTrader: (0)

I had this issue however only on 2 cylinders.
It was the coils that had failed.

Get coils replaced and injectors replaced and try again.

No harm replacing these items as they are cheap too...
Appreciate 0
      06-17-2013, 06:24 AM   #3
Mike Benvo
BimmerPost Supporting Vendor
Mike Benvo's Avatar
United_States
119
Rep
4,949
Posts


Drives: Harrop SC M3 / E46 M3 / 7Turbo
Join Date: Apr 2008
Location: SoCal

iTrader: (7)

Garage List
2014 BMW M5  [0.00]
2008 BMW M3  [5.00]
1990 BMW 735i Turbo  [5.00]
2004 BMW M3  [0.00]
Send a message via Skype™ to Mike Benvo
Could be idle control valve, throttle actuator, or oxygen sensors also.
__________________

-----| Like us on Facebook | Instagram || Tuning Information | Remote Coding |-----
----Visit us at www.BPMSport.com - Emotion. Driven. | Toll Free: (888) 557-5133----
Appreciate 0
      06-17-2013, 10:34 AM   #4
Nati Beastcat
Party at the Moontower
Nati Beastcat's Avatar
33
Rep
1,291
Posts

Drives: X5D
Join Date: Jun 2011
Location: Cincinnati

iTrader: (5)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike Benvo View Post
Could be idle control valve, throttle actuator, or oxygen sensors also.
^^Happen to me. BMW replaced my throttle actuator while it was under warranty.
__________________
Eisenmann race | Test Pipes | BPM Stage 2 | Vorsteiner | Black lines | AA filter | iND cosmetics | KW Sleeve over | 20" BBS LM's | Macht Schnell Tow Strap | Euro modded front bumper | Revinora lip | iND mirror caps | BMW spoiler | BMW Steering wheel | iND Interior Pkg |You bet Jerez its black and i'll never go back! Instagram @NATIBEASTCAT
Appreciate 0
      06-18-2013, 07:27 AM   #5
DuaneTh
Private
0
Rep
66
Posts

Drives: M3 2008 E92
Join Date: Aug 2012
Location: Brisbane Australia

iTrader: (0)

Nati Beastcat did yours misfire on all 8 cylinders? and was it during the warm up or while driving? Just curious.

Thanks for all the advice so far.
Appreciate 0
      06-18-2013, 06:56 PM   #6
aussiem3
Lieutenant Colonel
aussiem3's Avatar
Australia
51
Rep
1,958
Posts

Drives: Goggomobil
Join Date: Jul 2007
Location: Kangaroo land

iTrader: (1)

Garage List
2007 E92 M3  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by DuaneTh View Post
All

I have a 2008 E92 M3 with 35,000 kilometers (not miles)

I have had two instances in the past week of the car throwing an engine error code when warming up. The report shows a misfire on all 8 cylinders. On the first instance I had a low fuel level so BMW thought either moisture or possibly something in the fuel. I put in a full tank of E98 but then got another error. The car seems to be running fine and does not miss a beat even during warm up, it is just the light comes on.

I have also noticed a slight knock when the car is warm and idling, it is very slight even to the point I wonder if I am being pedantic but I do notice it. I know my car and there is a knock or rougher idle.

Any ideas? BMW says it is fine and possibly to change the plugs.
I had the same issue. My car is an '07 with just under 38k kms, and during the ownership didn't have a single engine related issue. I had 68 km range left in the car and it was sitting there for over a week. Started the car and instant misfire on cylinder 5. Checked the error codes and two codes were related to the misfire and one talked about fuel filler cap.

Filled a full tank of Shell V-Power (I pump BP Ultimate or V-Power) and cleared the error codes. Drove the car and no problems whatsoever. Last weekend I tracked the car with the fingers crossed. I codes. All good. I think the expansion in the empty tank forced excessive air causing the misfire. I think leaving the tank empty is a big no-no when storing or un driven for a while. Hope this helps.
__________________
E92 M3 2007 - ///PE with Test Pipes and BPM Stage II; CF Interior & Splitters; CIC with Connected Drive

Last edited by aussiem3; 06-18-2013 at 07:01 PM.
Appreciate 0
      07-01-2013, 07:48 AM   #7
DuaneTh
Private
0
Rep
66
Posts

Drives: M3 2008 E92
Join Date: Aug 2012
Location: Brisbane Australia

iTrader: (0)

A few more symptoms. I have been keeping the car with plenty of fuel and monitoring. No more engine errors but I have had 2 instance of DSC Error, Hill Start Error, Tyre Pressure Monitor not working all at the same time. First time it just cleared but came back on today. Engine warning has not come back (yet)

How do you determine if it is the Idle Control, Throttle Actuator, or O2 sensors that are playing up?
Appreciate 0
      07-01-2013, 08:47 AM   #8
W///
Major General
W///'s Avatar
293
Rep
6,251
Posts

Drives: 08 E92 M3/99 E36 M3 Coupe
Join Date: Sep 2011
Location: SC

iTrader: (12)

Quote:
Originally Posted by DuaneTh View Post
A few more symptoms. I have been keeping the car with plenty of fuel and monitoring. No more engine errors but I have had 2 instance of DSC Error, Hill Start Error, Tyre Pressure Monitor not working all at the same time. First time it just cleared but came back on today. Engine warning has not come back (yet)

How do you determine if it is the Idle Control, Throttle Actuator, or O2 sensors that are playing up?
Gotta get the codes read via OB2. I use Bavarian Technic Tool.
__________________
2008 E92 M3: Sparkling Graphite | Bamboo Beige | 6MT | CF Roof | HRE | Catless Eisenmann Race | BPM Sport | Swift | Arkym | Mode Carbon | M.Perf
Appreciate 0
      07-01-2013, 08:51 AM   #9
happos2
Dingleberries
26
Rep
1,217
Posts

Drives: Gray E92 M3
Join Date: May 2012
Location: Indiana

iTrader: (3)

+1 get the codes read (even if you have to go to AutoZone or Advanced or someplace). It will make it a lot easier to trouble shoot.
Appreciate 0
      07-01-2013, 12:58 PM   #10
Hazzd
Enlisted Member
0
Rep
40
Posts

Drives: 2008 BMW M3
Join Date: May 2013
Location: Abu Dhabi,U.A.E

iTrader: (0)

Get the codes scanned through Bavarian Technic Tool...
Appreciate 0
Post Reply

Bookmarks

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Forum Jump


All times are GMT -4. The time now is 01:46 AM.




m3post
m3post
Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.7.0
Copyright ©2000 - 2015, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
1Addicts.com, BIMMERPOST.com, E90Post.com, F30Post.com, M3Post.com, ZPost.com, 5Post.com, 6Post.com, 7Post.com, XBimmers.com logo and trademark are properties of BIMMERPOST