BMW M3 Forum (E90 E92)

BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   M3Post - BMW M3 Forum > E90/E92 M3 Technical Topics > Engine, Transmission, Exhaust, Drivetrain, ECU Software Modifications

GTB Performance

06-17-2013, 03:56 AM   #1
DuaneTh
Private

Drives: M3 2008 E92

Engine Misfire on all 8 cylinders - twice

All

I have a 2008 E92 M3 with 35,000 kilometers (not miles)

I have had two instances in the past week of the car throwing an engine error code when warming up. The report shows a misfire on all 8 cylinders. On the first instance I had a low fuel level so BMW thought either moisture or possibly something in the fuel. I put in a full tank of E98 but then got another error. The car seems to be running fine and does not miss a beat even during warm up, it is just the light comes on.

I have also noticed a slight knock when the car is warm and idling, it is very slight even to the point I wonder if I am being pedantic but I do notice it. I know my car and there is a knock or rougher idle.

Any ideas? BMW says it is fine and possibly to change the plugs.
      06-17-2013, 05:22 AM   #2
QOM39Z

Drives: 2008 e92 M3 6spd

I had this issue however only on 2 cylinders.
It was the coils that had failed.

Get coils replaced and injectors replaced and try again.

No harm replacing these items as they are cheap too...
QOM39Z is offline   Australia
      06-17-2013, 05:24 AM   #3
Mike Benvo
BimmerPost Supporting Vendor

Drives: 08 E90 M3 / 400whp Turbo 7

Garage List
1990 BMW 735i Turbo  [5.00]
2004 BMW M3  [0.00]
2008 BMW M3  [5.00]
Send a message via Skype™ to Mike Benvo
Could be idle control valve, throttle actuator, or oxygen sensors also.

-----| Like us on Facebook | Instagram || Tuning Information | Remote Coding |-----
----Visit us at www.BPMSport.com - Emotion. Driven. | Toll Free: (888) 557-5133----
Mike Benvo is offline   United_States
      06-17-2013, 09:34 AM   #4
Nati Beastcat
Trader!!

Drives: E55 AMG

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike Benvo View Post
Could be idle control valve, throttle actuator, or oxygen sensors also.
^^Happen to me. BMW replaced my throttle actuator while it was under warranty.
Eisenmann race | Test Pipes | BPM Stage 2 | Vorsteiner | Black lines | AA filter | iND cosmetics | KW Sleeve over | 20" BBS LM's | Macht Schnell Tow Strap | Euro modded front bumper | Revinora lip | iND mirror caps | BMW spoiler | BMW Steering wheel | iND Interior Pkg |You bet Jerez its black and i'll never go back! Instagram @NATIBEASTCAT
      06-18-2013, 06:27 AM   #5
DuaneTh
Private

Nati Beastcat did yours misfire on all 8 cylinders? and was it during the warm up or while driving? Just curious.

Thanks for all the advice so far.
      06-18-2013, 05:56 PM   #6
aussiem3
Major

Drives: '07 E92 M3/'11 F25 X3 3.0D

Quote:
Originally Posted by DuaneTh View Post
All

I have a 2008 E92 M3 with 35,000 kilometers (not miles)

I have had two instances in the past week of the car throwing an engine error code when warming up. The report shows a misfire on all 8 cylinders. On the first instance I had a low fuel level so BMW thought either moisture or possibly something in the fuel. I put in a full tank of E98 but then got another error. The car seems to be running fine and does not miss a beat even during warm up, it is just the light comes on.

I have also noticed a slight knock when the car is warm and idling, it is very slight even to the point I wonder if I am being pedantic but I do notice it. I know my car and there is a knock or rougher idle.

Any ideas? BMW says it is fine and possibly to change the plugs.
I had the same issue. My car is an '07 with just under 38k kms, and during the ownership didn't have a single engine related issue. I had 68 km range left in the car and it was sitting there for over a week. Started the car and instant misfire on cylinder 5. Checked the error codes and two codes were related to the misfire and one talked about fuel filler cap.

Filled a full tank of Shell V-Power (I pump BP Ultimate or V-Power) and cleared the error codes. Drove the car and no problems whatsoever. Last weekend I tracked the car with the fingers crossed. I codes. All good. I think the expansion in the empty tank forced excessive air causing the misfire. I think leaving the tank empty is a big no-no when storing or un driven for a while. Hope this helps.

2007 E92 6MT - Silverstone II with /// Performance Exhaust with ACM Test Pipes and BPM Sport Stage II Dev-Tune
2011 F25 X3 3.0d

Last edited by aussiem3; 06-18-2013 at 06:01 PM.
aussiem3 is offline   Australia
      07-01-2013, 06:48 AM   #7
DuaneTh
Private

A few more symptoms. I have been keeping the car with plenty of fuel and monitoring. No more engine errors but I have had 2 instance of DSC Error, Hill Start Error, Tyre Pressure Monitor not working all at the same time. First time it just cleared but came back on today. Engine warning has not come back (yet)

How do you determine if it is the Idle Control, Throttle Actuator, or O2 sensors that are playing up?
      07-01-2013, 07:47 AM   #8
W///
Brigadier General

Drives: A22 E92 M3

Quote:
Originally Posted by DuaneTh View Post
A few more symptoms. I have been keeping the car with plenty of fuel and monitoring. No more engine errors but I have had 2 instance of DSC Error, Hill Start Error, Tyre Pressure Monitor not working all at the same time. First time it just cleared but came back on today. Engine warning has not come back (yet)

How do you determine if it is the Idle Control, Throttle Actuator, or O2 sensors that are playing up?
Gotta get the codes read via OB2. I use Bavarian Technic Tool.
      07-01-2013, 07:51 AM   #9
happos2
Dingleberries

Drives: Gray E92 M3

+1 get the codes read (even if you have to go to AutoZone or Advanced or someplace). It will make it a lot easier to trouble shoot.
      07-01-2013, 11:58 AM   #10
Hazzd
Enlisted Member

Drives: 2008 BMW M3

Get the codes scanned through Bavarian Technic Tool...