BMW M3 Forum (E90 E92)

BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   M3Post - BMW M3 Forum > E90/E92 M3 Technical Topics > Track / Autocross / Dragstrip / Driving Techniques

ESS Tuning

08-26-2015, 07:21 PM   #1
redpriest
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2011 E92 M3 DCT/ZCP

Garage List
redpriest HPDE journal

Just consolidating these so I don't have spam threads all over the place, and just keeping an online journal of my progress as I get better and better and install mods, etc.

First HPDE at Laguna Seca with HOD:

http://www.m3post.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1140841

Mods added:
PFC 08 brake pads on stock rotors, stock calipers
Motul 600 brake fluid

Tires: Michelin Pilot Super Sports 245/265 19"

2nd HPDE at Thunderhill 5 mile with HOD:

http://www.m3post.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1154670

Mods added:
Akrapovic Evolution Exhaust,
BPM Stage 2 Tune
BPM DCT Tune

Tires: Michelin Pilot Super Sports 245/265 19"

3rd/4th HPDE days at Buttonwillow Raceway 13CW with SpeedDistrict:

2:07 best lap

Mods added:
Dinan front anti-roll bar
Apex EC-7 wheels
Cloth rag for power steering vent :P

Tires: Bridgestone Potenza RE-71Rs 275s/18"
Appreciate 1
      08-26-2015, 09:25 PM   #2
M3 Number 86
Captain
Rep
Drives: black m3

hey how did you like the RE71s? Any reason you chose this over the RS3?

btw: cool idea - I wish I did this to journal my progression. But I guess I have vids/data.
Appreciate 0
      08-26-2015, 10:08 PM   #3
redpriest
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by M3 Number 86 View Post
hey how did you like the RE71s? Any reason you chose this over the RS3?

btw: cool idea - I wish I did this to journal my progression. But I guess I have vids/data.
I was looking for something to help combat the factory understeer, so a combination of going to a squared setup + front sway bar seemed like a good first start. Since I was going to need a new set of rims, I decided to look into tires as well, something other than MPSS which I'd been using on my 19"s. 18" to save weight and money on track tires sounded like a good idea.

As far as the RE-71Rs, I bought them mostly by word of mouth - a friend of mine in the office mentioned that his autocross pals were raving about the RE-71Rs so I decided to pick up a spare set of wheels and make them my next upgrade, since I too am also interested in autocross.

I loved them - they gripped great and when they did break lose it was easy to get a handle on the situation. They make a much different road noise and don't squeal as loudly as the MPSS do on the track.

Here's what the fronts look like after ~97 laps, 1000 highway miles + 200 track miles.

http://www.m3post.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1165058
Appreciate 0
      08-26-2015, 10:12 PM   #4
M3 Number 86
Captain
Rep
Drives: black m3

Quote:
Originally Posted by redpriest View Post

As far as the RE-71Rs, I bought them mostly by word of mouth - a friend of mine in the office mentioned that his autocross pals were raving about the RE-71Rs so I decided to pick up a spare set of wheels and make them my next upgrade, since I too am also interested in autocross.

I loved them - they gripped great and when they did break lose it was easy to get a handle on the situation. They make a much different road noise and don't squeal as loudly as the MPSS do on the track.

Here's what the fronts look like after ~97 laps, 1000 highway miles + 200 track miles.

http://www.m3post.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1165058
That's the thing I've only read about how they perform in autocross. Wondering how they fair in 20 min long sessions.

If they are like the RE11 I guess they are a decent street tire. I'm moving to NT01 next ha.
Appreciate 0
      08-27-2015, 02:34 AM   #5
edwardgtxy
Private
Rep
Drives: 2011 e92 m3

nice post! how would you compare traction between mpss vs re71r
Appreciate 0
      08-27-2015, 04:09 PM   #6
M.A.R.C.
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2011 Space Grey E90 M3 DCT ZCP

Garage List
2011 BMW E90 M3  [0.00]
sub'd because i might be starting my own "journal" as well. did you run the PFC's all around?
      08-27-2015, 04:23 PM   #7
redpriest
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by edwardgtxy View Post
nice post! how would you compare traction between mpss vs re71r
I don't have a clean frame of reference unfortunately because the RE71Rs are on lighter 18" wheels, and are wider all around (275 squared vs 245/265 staggered). I also upgraded my sway bar from stock to Dinan's.

What I can say is that these tires didn't get greasy at all on track and I punished them hard in turns. Had a 1.1G sweeping right hander turn that went immediately into a left, and the car held the turn at 100 mph, while skidding only a little bit. The tires don't squeal with the same high pitched timbre as the MPSS but have their own distinct sound.

My final runs on day 2 were consistently in the 2:07 - 2:09 range. It was 103 degrees outside, punishingly hot, and the tires didn't feel like they were losing their grip at all, even after the 6th or 7th lap of the session.
Appreciate 0
      08-27-2015, 04:24 PM   #8
redpriest
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by M.A.R.C. View Post
sub'd because i might be starting my own "journal" as well. did you run the PFC's all around?
Yeah, PFC 08s on all 4 corners. My fronts have a lot of meat left even after 4 track days, an autocross, and 20k miles - I would say a good 7-9 mm just looking at them. My rears are probably at 5mm, which is funny, I can only guess it's from traction control stepping in so much (Car is Euro MDM 99% of the time, only take traction control completely off for autocross).
Appreciate 0
      08-28-2015, 02:00 PM   #9
roastbeef
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: E92 M3

Quote:
Originally Posted by redpriest View Post
I was looking for something to help combat the factory understeer, so a combination of going to a squared setup + front sway bar seemed like a good first start. Since I was going to need a new set of rims, I decided to look into tires as well, something other than MPSS which I'd been using on my 19"s. 18" to save weight and money on track tires sounded like a good idea.
the squared setup should help, but i think the front swaybar would keep the car prone to understeer. what is your observation so far?

camber plates are also a good start, and they aren't too much money. i think i'm on ground control's and they allowed me to keep my edc functionality, and gave me a sharper turn-in (noticeable on the street as well).

also, how would you rate the HOD event coordinators? i'm looking to get up to laguna seca in the near future, so i'm sort of shopping for an event coordinator up there.
      08-28-2015, 05:34 PM   #10
redpriest
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Garage List
Yeah, my next mod would be camber plates + suspension. I have the sway bar set at the middle setting at the moment, I can probably experiment with further adjustments, but it feels fine to me at my skill level at the moment. Turn in was excellent, the car went where I wanted it to go and anytime it didn't, it was purely my mistake.

I went off track a couple times, once because I think I took the sunset corner too early leading to the main straight, and then subsequently went off roading there. No damage to the car, Buttonwillow seems very forgiving. Also went off road around the Cotton Corners, took too much speed and didn't hit the apex properly on the 2nd turn.

The HOD coordinators are very professional. The higher cost of the event also seems to bring out a more mature, professional crowd. I had a few Audi S5s that had me cursing at the Speed District event for blatantly violating the pass-by rules and had me slamming my brakes to avoid hitting them/running off track. It's not a coincidence that I saw them spun out quite a few times that day further on - at least once per session.

Don't get me wrong, I loved the Speed District folks, and the problems went away further on in the day. Can't wait to run with them again on the 20th. The amount of time I spent on track was incredibly high - lots of sessions, and I'm glad my car held up the entire time. Easily 2x the amount of on track time as other events.
Appreciate 1
      08-28-2015, 09:31 PM   #11
roastbeef
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: E92 M3

i had a similar experience with speed district. a group of wealthy guys that were obviously friends or relatives brought their porsches, ferraris, and lamborghinis out to willow springs. sat through the driver's meeting, and get on the track... during what is supposed to be the lead/follow parade laps, they all start going faster and faster. some dude in a 911 takes a weird line at turn 4 and promptly puts his car into the dirt for no apparent reason. they had the noob tunnel vision (no point by), took terrible lines, and ignored flags. when i did get a point by, i also got drag raced by a mercedes sls down the front straight.
speed district staff handled it well and had a remedial meeting for that group, but some guy in a mustang still managed to come out of the pits and not take the introductory line as i was coming down the main straight. just have to keep aware of your surroundings, i suppose.