BMW M3 Forum (E90 E92)

BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   M3Post - BMW M3 Forum > M3 (E90 / E92 / E93) > General M3 Forum (E90 + E92 + E93)

Evolve Automotive

09-21-2007, 08:17 AM   #23
13eastie
Lieutenant
United Kingdom
Rep

Drives: 2007 E92 M3

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by devo View Post
Sorry, no cigar in my book. (If this in fact true.) Same type tires for each car is the only way to judge these cars.
Defo. This is why everyone cares so much about 'ring times and Sportauto tests in the first place. I'm waiting for a confirmed time on stock tyres - if it turns out to be 8:03 then that's cool.
Appreciate 0
      09-21-2007, 08:20 AM   #24
devo
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep

Drives: .2GT3/335Cpe/991 GT3 coming
Location: thinking about cars, girls and money, not necessarily in that order.

Quote:
Originally Posted by southlight View Post
That depends on the point of view: You also could say the M runs a second better then the R8 on the same kind of tires, couldn't you?

However I heard the 8:03 was on PS2 (which is not likely any more). Assuming that would indeed best the 997S with the same kind of tires. That's what I meant, did you understand it that way?

Best regards, south
I agree with what you are saying. I want to know all the facts before passing further judgement. Even if the time was w/ Cup tires, it's still a good time.

As far as the R8 goes, yes I agree with that.

On another note. I also think that the R8 is a joke. I can't believe that Audi is getting that kind of money for such a under-performing car (for that price point). And, that dealers are asking $100k more than MSRP! Sorry for the OT rant.
Appreciate 0
      09-21-2007, 08:53 AM   #25
Just_me
Captain
Rep

Drives: RWD

Quote:
Originally Posted by 13eastie View Post
Defo. This is why everyone cares so much about 'ring times and Sportauto tests in the first place. I'm waiting for a confirmed time on stock tyres - if it turns out to be 8:03 then that's cool.
if Porsche or Audi doesnt send their cars with two type of tires, then why should BMW?
Of course carmakers will give Sportauto their best configuration for their test cars. Dont hate the player, hate the game.
Appreciate 0
      09-21-2007, 08:58 AM   #26
devo
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Just_me View Post
if Porsche or Audi doesnt send their cars with two type of tires, then why should BMW?
Of course carmakers will give Sportauto their best configuration for their test cars. Dont hate the player, hate the game.

It doesn't matter who's responsible, it is the end result that matters. It's not a fair comparison no matter how you slice it.
Appreciate 0
      09-21-2007, 09:02 AM   #27
absoluteis350
First Lieutenant
Rep

Drives: audi RS4

Well it shouldn't be any surprise if the M3 beats the RS4 around the 'ring... I'd be surprised if it DOESNT ! Its already been proven better on the track.. Doesn't necessarily mean anything since we already know that the M3 is a better track car in the hands of a professional driver, while 90% of the general population would be faster in an RS4.

However, that doesn't detract from the fact that the RS4 is the fastest 4-door tested around there and for some of us with kids, the only option until the M3 sedan emerges.

I'm just happy that, except for the relatively disappointing steering, the M3 sounds like a great car.
Appreciate 0
      09-21-2007, 09:08 AM   #28
T Bone
Brigadier General
Rep

Drives: 2008 335xi Coupe

Quote:
Originally Posted by absoluteis350 View Post
Well it shouldn't be any surprise if the M3 beats the RS4 around the 'ring... I'd be surprised if it DOESNT ! Its already been proven better on the track.. Doesn't necessarily mean anything since we already know that the M3 is a better track car in the hands of a professional driver, while 90% of the general population would be faster in an RS4.

However, that doesn't detract from the fact that the RS4 is the fastest 4-door tested around there and for some of us with kids, the only option until the M3 sedan emerges.

I'm just happy that, except for the relatively disappointing steering, the M3 sounds like a great car.

It is interesting that the M3 and M6 are going to be within seconds of each other at this track on stock tires, with the possibility of the M6 being slightly faster.

I would love to see sector times between the 2.

Also, the M6 had a neutered top speed with it got the 8:09 time.
      09-21-2007, 09:10 AM   #29
ILC32
Lieutenant
Rep

Drives: 1993 Porsche RSA

Quote:
It doesn't matter who's responsible, it is the end result that matters. It's not a fair comparison no matter how you slice it.
Sorry, but I'm not following you. Reportedly the car tested had the M Driver's Package. It is an option from BMW. Why do you think it is not fair to compare the car with the M Drivers Package to an RS4 with optional from Audi sport tires and ceramic brakes?
Appreciate 0
      09-21-2007, 09:27 AM   #30
JEllis
Brigadier General
Rep

Drives: E36 M3, E92 M3

I dont really see what all the heat is about..

We are talking about tires here... something easily attainable and is probably going to be a standard mod for guys that take their M3's to the track.

Good tires only make a great car a little better. Its not like these tires are turning the M3 into a supercar.

8:03 is a great time if the only difference was tires.... nuff said

Jason
      09-21-2007, 09:31 AM   #31
dechoong
First Lieutenant
Rep

Drives: E60 530 Sport

I wouldn't be surprised the M3 posted 8:03 on PS2... about the same time for a Carrera S. Do remember the M3 has a 65bhp advantage so while it may be a little slower than the Carrera S in the corners, its horsepower should even things out in the straight. The E46 M3 did 8:15 (on PS1) which is comparable to the standard Carrera... there's no reason the E92 M3 is only as fast.
Appreciate 0
      09-21-2007, 09:44 AM   #32
ruff
Conspicuous consumption
Rep

Drives: 987 S .2, Lemond Zurich

IMO, Sportauto numbers are the most legitimate Ring times. They go out of their way to be as objective as possible with lap times. If the time proves to be correct, what a great number for the M3, even with Cup tires. To match or best the R8 and C2S on the Ring is nothing short of sensational. It goes to show how BMW has shifted from the horsepower wars to the Ring wars. BMW's extensive testing on the Ring has sure paid off. Interesting, yet predictible to see the R8 and C2S carve up the track better than the M3 at Hockenheim (a shorter and tighter track) and to see the BMW's fire breathing 4 litre scorch the longer straigtaways at the Ring.
Appreciate 0
      09-21-2007, 09:48 AM   #33
ILC32
Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by ruff View Post
IMO, Sportauto numbers are the most legitimate Ring times. They go out of their way to be as objective as possible with lap times. If the time proves to be correct, what a great number for the M3, even with Cup tires. To best the R8 and C2S on the Ring is nothing short of sensational. It goes to show how BMW has shifted from the horsepower wars to the Ring wars. BMW's extensive testing on the Ring has sure paid off. Interesting, yet predictible to see the R8 and C2S carve up the track better than the M3 at Hockenheim which is a shorter and tighter track and to see the BMW's fire breathing 4 litre scorch the longer straigtaways at the Ring.
Good post, Ruff. (Did I really say that??)
Appreciate 0
      09-21-2007, 10:11 AM   #34
ruff
Conspicuous consumption
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by ILC32 View Post
Good post, Ruff. (Did I really say that??)
Are you the fair weather friend type who only gives Kudos to me and your favorite team when I give the M3 due credit and your team is in the middle of a winning streak? Still like the other German auto makers and I have real soft spot for late 60 and early 70 Mopars....Hemi, 440, 383 and 340 six packs. Talk about heresy. Now you may want to edit your above post.
Appreciate 0
      09-21-2007, 11:11 AM   #35
devo
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by dechoong View Post
I wouldn't be surprised the M3 posted 8:03 on PS2... about the same time for a Carrera S. Do remember the M3 has a 65bhp advantage so while it may be a little slower than the Carrera S in the corners, its horsepower should even things out in the straight. The E46 M3 did 8:15 (on PS1) which is comparable to the standard Carrera... there's no reason the E92 M3 is only as fast.
That's the question, isn't it? Did the M run on PS2 or Cup tires? If it's the latter, (imo) the test isn't fair. If it was the former, then kudos +10 to BMW. Give the C2S Cup tires and it will likely run closer to 8:00 or below. Add the hp bump AND Cup tires and the M won't even be close. By the time the M hits the states, the facelifted C2S will have the addtional hp.

In the meantime, it appears that the M bested the P car, which was equipped with street tires, while the M ran race tires, which are not DOT approved for the street.

Last edited by devo; 09-21-2007 at 11:38 AM.
Appreciate 0
      09-21-2007, 12:04 PM   #36
ILC32
Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Are you the fair weather friend type who only gives Kudos to me and your favorite team when I give the M3 due credit and your team is in the middle of a winning streak?
Go team!
Appreciate 0
      09-21-2007, 12:09 PM   #37
ILC32
Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
That's the question, isn't it? Did the M run on PS2 or Cup tires? If it's the latter, (imo) the test isn't fair. If it was the former, then kudos +10 to BMW. Give the C2S Cup tires and it will likely run closer to 8:00 or below. Add the hp bump AND Cup tires and the M won't even be close. By the time the M hits the states, the facelifted C2S will have the addtional hp.

In the meantime, it appears that the M bested the P car, which was equipped with street tires, while the M ran race tires, which are not DOT approved for the street.
There is no evidence the tires are not approved for the street.

If the tires are available as an option, then the test is fair. To use a "benchmark" tire for all cars is an interesting idea, but not practical for many reasons, including continually advancing technology.

If to make it fair, the Porsche has to use the exact same tires as the M even if the tires are not available from Porsche, then what else should be the same for comparison purposes to ensure fairness? Do both cars have to use the same brake pads also? The M cannot be obtained with ceramic brakes. To be fair, should the M get Porsche's brakes while the Porsche gets the M's tires?
Appreciate 0
      09-21-2007, 12:11 PM   #38
ruff
Conspicuous consumption
Rep

Quote:
Go team!
I figured a little good hearted fun would change your tune. I should have stopped while I was ahead.
Appreciate 0
      09-21-2007, 12:20 PM   #39
swamp2
Lieutenant General
United_States
Rep

Drives: E92 M3

Various

Good rumors and good news, but not all good.

BMW insists that the car is the fastest M and if the only way it bested the M6 at 8:06 is with the tires that is just like all of the "weight savings" BMW keep mentioning for the M3. South: was the R8 8:04 on semi-race tires? Again if so this is GREAT. It is a good time either way but like devo said to make apples to apples comparisons we need a time with the regular M.P.S.s.

Anyone want to take the sub 8 minute bet I mentioned earlier with Cup+&M-DCT? It is going to be really close. This result makes me lose a bit of confidence in that prediction.
Appreciate 0
      09-21-2007, 12:21 PM   #40
ILC32
Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
I figured a little good hearted fun would change your tune.
Good post!
Appreciate 0
      09-21-2007, 12:34 PM   #41
ruff
Conspicuous consumption
Rep

Quote:
Good post!
Notice what I added to my last post while you were posting. My prior post was not a good post.
Appreciate 0
      09-21-2007, 12:35 PM   #42
dechoong
First Lieutenant
Rep

Drives: E60 530 Sport

Quote:

911s are unmatched when it comes to putting its power down on the road . I'm not discrediting the M3 here, but the fundamentals of the 911 and the M3 are very different.
Appreciate 0
      09-21-2007, 12:39 PM   #43
ILC32
Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Notice what I added to my last post while you were posting. My prior post was not a good post.

Ruff, I cannot figure out if you are having good hearted fun or trying to bait me. So I give up.
Appreciate 0
      09-21-2007, 12:46 PM   #44
ruff
Conspicuous consumption
Rep

Quote:
Ruff, I cannot figure out if you are having good hearted fun or trying to bait me. So I give up.
Trying to have good hearted fun but realized my #34 post was probably ill-advised.
Appreciate 0