BMW M3 Forum (E90 E92)

BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read


Go Back   M3Post - BMW M3 Forum > E90/E92 M3 Technical Topics > Suspension | Brakes | Chassis
 
Evolve Automotive
Post Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
      05-06-2013, 07:58 AM   #1
DopeM3
M Power
United_States
41

 
DopeM3's Avatar
 
Drives: M3
Join Date: Jun 2012
Location: NH


Posts: 1,295
iTrader: (8)

Advise on installing lowering springs?

Hi Guys,

So after reading numerous treads on installing lowering springs, I've decided to do it myself. What kind of tools will I need to do the job? I've never done any suspension work so this will be my first time. I know I will need some jacks, spring compressor (auto zone).

One thing I'm confused about is tightening bolts. I don't know how much I got to tighten them (lbs). Any guidance, links and tips will be very appreciated.

P.S: This is the guide I'm going to be using: http://billswebspace.com/M3HRSpringInstallation

Thank you
Appreciate 0
      05-06-2013, 09:24 AM   #2
Richard@M-World
United_States
41

 
Richard@M-World's Avatar
 
Drives: NASA TTA #92 M3
Join Date: May 2011
Location: TX/IL


Posts: 683
iTrader: (0)

Torque: http://www.m3post.com/forums/showthread.php?t=183005
DIY: http://www.m3post.com/forums/showthread.php?t=183011
__________________
Authorized AiM Dealer - Solo/Solo DL | SmartyCam HD | www.m-world.us
Appreciate 0
      05-07-2013, 08:28 AM   #3
TC Kline Racing
BimmerPost Supporting Vendor
United_States
13


 
TC Kline Racing's Avatar
 
Drives: Many BMW's & Porsche's
Join Date: Mar 2012
Location: Columbus, OH & Santa Barbara, CA


Posts: 330
iTrader: (0)

If you are going to be doing alot of DIY maintenance on the car, I would suggest buying a Bentley Manual. It's a great 'tool' to have
Appreciate 0
      05-07-2013, 08:56 AM   #4
THE TECH
BimmerPost Supporting Vendor
United_States
204


 
THE TECH's Avatar
 
Drives: BPMsport 2012 E92 M3
Join Date: Jun 2011
Location: Kansas


Posts: 13,116
iTrader: (45)

Garage List
Send a message via AIM to THE TECH Send a message via Skype™ to THE TECH
Quote:
Originally Posted by TC Kline Racing View Post
If you are going to be doing alot of DIY maintenance on the car, I would suggest buying a Bentley Manual. It's a great 'tool' to have
Too bad they don't make one for the M3.
__________________
Appreciate 0
      05-07-2013, 09:10 AM   #5
TC Kline Racing
BimmerPost Supporting Vendor
United_States
13


 
TC Kline Racing's Avatar
 
Drives: Many BMW's & Porsche's
Join Date: Mar 2012
Location: Columbus, OH & Santa Barbara, CA


Posts: 330
iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by THE TECH View Post
Too bad they don't make one for the M3.

Really?! That's odd and sucks at the same time..... ..learn something new everyday.....
Appreciate 0
      05-07-2013, 09:14 AM   #6
DopeM3
M Power
United_States
41

 
DopeM3's Avatar
 
Drives: M3
Join Date: Jun 2012
Location: NH


Posts: 1,295
iTrader: (8)

Quote:
Originally Posted by TC Kline Racing View Post
If you are going to be doing alot of DIY maintenance on the car, I would suggest buying a Bentley Manual. It's a great 'tool' to have
Nah, I'm just going to do the suspension myself. Just need the right tools for this.
Appreciate 0
      05-23-2013, 02:52 PM   #7
SYZ
Lieutenant
12

 
SYZ's Avatar
 
Drives: :O
Join Date: Jan 2013
Location: Scottsdale


Posts: 459
iTrader: (0)

Garage List
how'd this go? That's a great DIY guide you posted btw.
Appreciate 0
      05-23-2013, 03:00 PM   #8
DopeM3
M Power
United_States
41

 
DopeM3's Avatar
 
Drives: M3
Join Date: Jun 2012
Location: NH


Posts: 1,295
iTrader: (8)

Quote:
Originally Posted by SYZ View Post
how'd this go? That's a great DIY guide you posted btw.
Haven't had a chance to install just yet, possibly by the end of this month
Appreciate 0
      05-23-2013, 03:31 PM   #9
Endless619
DHS
Spain
98

 
Endless619's Avatar
 
Drives: 2014 Range Rover Black Edition
Join Date: Oct 2010
Location: Disneyland


Posts: 3,930
iTrader: (14)

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by AyooooJay View Post
Haven't had a chance to install just yet, possibly by the end of this month
When you get it done do a drive up here to Bar Harbor and we can get a nice photoshoot going!!!
Appreciate 0
      05-23-2013, 04:49 PM   #10
DopeM3
M Power
United_States
41

 
DopeM3's Avatar
 
Drives: M3
Join Date: Jun 2012
Location: NH


Posts: 1,295
iTrader: (8)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Endless619 View Post
When you get it done do a drive up here to Bar Harbor and we can get a nice photoshoot going!!!
Quite a drive up there lol You should spin around some of meets around the area bro
Appreciate 0
      05-29-2013, 03:21 PM   #11
SYZ
Lieutenant
12

 
SYZ's Avatar
 
Drives: :O
Join Date: Jan 2013
Location: Scottsdale


Posts: 459
iTrader: (0)

Garage List
I just did this install the other day... it's arguably the easier spring swap ever. Literally 2 bolts is all I had to undo on the front struts... the lower sway bar endlink and the top strut nut. The rear is the same... two bolts. Very very simple job. Everything you need is spelled out in the DIY you posted. It's thorough.
Appreciate 0
      05-29-2013, 03:23 PM   #12
DopeM3
M Power
United_States
41

 
DopeM3's Avatar
 
Drives: M3
Join Date: Jun 2012
Location: NH


Posts: 1,295
iTrader: (8)

Quote:
Originally Posted by SYZ View Post
I just did this install the other day... it's arguably the easier spring swap ever. Literally 2 bolts is all I had to undo on the front struts... the lower sway bar endlink and the top strut nut. The rear is the same... two bolts. Very very simple job. Everything you need is spelled out in the DIY you posted. It's thorough.
Thanks man!

Which DYI did you use?
Appreciate 0
      05-29-2013, 03:31 PM   #13
SYZ
Lieutenant
12

 
SYZ's Avatar
 
Drives: :O
Join Date: Jan 2013
Location: Scottsdale


Posts: 459
iTrader: (0)

Garage List
Honestly, I just started doing it on my own keeping in mind I could compress the spring while it was still installed on the strut. I just looked at what I needed to unbolt and did so. I looked over the DIY here AFTER I did the swap and said to myself, "hmm, yeah that's a pretty great description of what I ended up doing." It's almost too descriptive, which makes it seem more involved than it actually is.
Appreciate 0
      05-29-2013, 03:57 PM   #14
DopeM3
M Power
United_States
41

 
DopeM3's Avatar
 
Drives: M3
Join Date: Jun 2012
Location: NH


Posts: 1,295
iTrader: (8)

Quote:
Originally Posted by SYZ View Post
Honestly, I just started doing it on my own keeping in mind I could compress the spring while it was still installed on the strut. I just looked at what I needed to unbolt and did so. I looked over the DIY here AFTER I did the swap and said to myself, "hmm, yeah that's a pretty great description of what I ended up doing." It's almost too descriptive, which makes it seem more involved than it actually is.
It definitely looks very simple. Haven't had the time to do it yet.

I'm just concern about tightening the bolts. Don't want to over tighten or leave loose. Any tips or did you run it to anything with this?
Appreciate 0
      05-29-2013, 04:03 PM   #15
SYZ
Lieutenant
12

 
SYZ's Avatar
 
Drives: :O
Join Date: Jan 2013
Location: Scottsdale


Posts: 459
iTrader: (0)

Garage List
1 grunt on the swaybar endlink. 2 grunts on the strut nut bolt and rear suspension bolts.

Half joking aside, if you are concerned about it, purchase a torque wrench that will read between 20-100 lb/ft of torque to get it to spec.
Appreciate 0
      05-29-2013, 04:10 PM   #16
DopeM3
M Power
United_States
41

 
DopeM3's Avatar
 
Drives: M3
Join Date: Jun 2012
Location: NH


Posts: 1,295
iTrader: (8)

Quote:
Originally Posted by SYZ View Post
1 grunt on the swaybar endlink. 2 grunts on the strut nut bolt and rear suspension bolts.

Half joking aside, if you are concerned about it, purchase a torque wrench that will read between 20-100 lb/ft of torque to get it to spec.


I'll look for one at Sears. Thanks man I'll let you know how it goes.

Which springs did you install btw?
Appreciate 0
      05-29-2013, 04:20 PM   #17
SYZ
Lieutenant
12

 
SYZ's Avatar
 
Drives: :O
Join Date: Jan 2013
Location: Scottsdale


Posts: 459
iTrader: (0)

Garage List
I went w/ Eibachs on my convertible. It has an OEM+ look; very pleased with them.
Appreciate 0
      06-01-2013, 07:18 PM   #18
SYZ
Lieutenant
12

 
SYZ's Avatar
 
Drives: :O
Join Date: Jan 2013
Location: Scottsdale


Posts: 459
iTrader: (0)

Garage List
I ran into an issue where my lights were aiming too high... did a quick search and realized I reconnected my rear leveling sensor incorrectly. It's easy to overlook. Make sure you reconnect it the proper way otherwise you'll have the same issue!

http://www.m3post.com/forums/showthread.php?t=389548
Appreciate 0
      06-07-2013, 02:12 PM   #19
DopeM3
M Power
United_States
41

 
DopeM3's Avatar
 
Drives: M3
Join Date: Jun 2012
Location: NH


Posts: 1,295
iTrader: (8)

Quote:
Originally Posted by SYZ View Post
I ran into an issue where my lights were aiming too high... did a quick search and realized I reconnected my rear leveling sensor incorrectly. It's easy to overlook. Make sure you reconnect it the proper way otherwise you'll have the same issue!

http://www.m3post.com/forums/showthread.php?t=389548
Thanks man! Still haven't had a chance to do this. Too much going on right now.. Hopefully I'll get this done within a week or two
Appreciate 0
      06-07-2013, 03:48 PM   #20
dmk08
///Maniac
56

 
dmk08's Avatar
 
Drives: 2011 E92 M3
Join Date: Jul 2012
Location: Atlanta


Posts: 3,178
iTrader: (9)

Garage List
2011 BMW M3 E92  [5.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by AyooooJay View Post
Thanks man! Still haven't had a chance to do this. Too much going on right now.. Hopefully I'll get this done within a week or two
Get a cheap Craftsman torque wrench. I bought one years ago for like $55 and still works great. Easy job you can do it!
Appreciate 0
      06-07-2013, 04:02 PM   #21
katchup
Converted Evo Driver
United_States
11

 
katchup's Avatar
 
Drives: e92 335i
Join Date: Aug 2012
Location: Boise, Id


Posts: 584
iTrader: (6)

It was like installing springs on Amy other car. Tom me alone about 4 hours taking my time. one thing to be careful, I broke both of my brake pad wear sensors and was extremely careful. I would completely remove them before starting if I did it again.
__________________
Alpine White e92 m3
Appreciate 0
      06-07-2013, 07:57 PM   #22
DopeM3
M Power
United_States
41

 
DopeM3's Avatar
 
Drives: M3
Join Date: Jun 2012
Location: NH


Posts: 1,295
iTrader: (8)

Quote:
Originally Posted by dmk08 View Post
Get a cheap Craftsman torque wrench. I bought one years ago for like $55 and still works great. Easy job you can do it!
I was at Sears for something else and I happened to find one for around 100, yikes. Might need to order it online or something
Appreciate 0
Post Reply

Bookmarks

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 03:02 AM.




m3post
Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.7.0
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
1Addicts.com, BIMMERPOST.com, E90Post.com, F30Post.com, M3Post.com, ZPost.com, 5Post.com, 6Post.com, 7Post.com, XBimmers.com logo and trademark are properties of BIMMERPOST