BMW M3 Forum (E90 E92)

BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read


Go Back   M3Post - BMW M3 Forum > E90/E92 M3 Technical Topics > Engine, Transmission, Exhaust, Drivetrain, ECU Software Modifications
 
Steve Thomas BMW
Post Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
      06-11-2013, 03:11 PM   #287
VCMpower
Banned
 
Drives: 2010 Dakar, 2013 Fire Orange
Join Date: Jan 2010
Location: Victoria B.C.

Posts: 941
iTrader: (0)

It does say on the front page "twin turbo TEASED". Should we expect any more info right now?
VCMpower is offline   Canada
0
Reply With Quote
      06-11-2013, 03:46 PM   #288
crabman
Captain
 
Drives: M3
Join Date: Dec 2011
Location: WA

Posts: 669
iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by VCMpower View Post
It does say on the front page "twin turbo TEASED". Should we expect any more info right now?
They also said soon which to a 5 year old waiting to blow the candles out means more than a few minutes and they'll be practically ready to vomit from the anticipation. I would submit this is not unlike the feeling of many an owner here. lol Then again I may only be speaking for myself...
__________________
2012 E92 Space Grey with fox red/black/black, comp, premium, DCT, premium sound, sirius, heated seats.
crabman is offline  
0
Reply With Quote
      06-11-2013, 04:04 PM   #289
VCMpower
Banned
 
Drives: 2010 Dakar, 2013 Fire Orange
Join Date: Jan 2010
Location: Victoria B.C.

Posts: 941
iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by crabman View Post
They also said soon which to a 5 year old waiting to blow the candles out means more than a few minutes and they'll be practically ready to vomit from the anticipation. I would submit this is not unlike the feeling of many an owner here. lol Then again I may only be speaking for myself...
VCMpower is offline   Canada
0
Reply With Quote
      06-13-2013, 09:58 PM   #290
Kiemyster
Bimmerpost Resident Marijuana Consultant
 
Kiemyster's Avatar
 
Drives: E90x4 (M3, 335xi, 325xi,320i)
Join Date: Nov 2006
Location: Queens/NYC

Posts: 3,130
iTrader: (2)

Garage List
this would be useful in my widebody e90 m3
__________________
"AMG What! S-Line Who? If you ain't got that M I got no respect for you!"
'06 Alpine Weiss E90 320i | '06 The Green Machine E90 325xi | '11 Alpine Weiss E90 M3 ZCP | '10 Silverstone X5M | '11 Alpine Weiss E90 335xi
Kiemyster is offline   Trinidad_and_tobago
0
Reply With Quote
      06-14-2013, 03:41 PM   #291
phrozen06
NA V8
 
phrozen06's Avatar
 
Drives: 01 330ci, 08 M3 DCT, 08 VW R32
Join Date: Jan 2006
Location: 3927'33"N 7758'04"W W. Virgina, Kansas

Posts: 1,486
iTrader: (1)

gr8 news that the E9X M will have a turbo option now.
__________________
phrozen06 is offline  
0
Reply With Quote
      06-15-2013, 11:04 AM   #292
SECOND2NONE
Private First Class
 
Drives: Turbo e46 m3, 2005 e55 amg
Join Date: Nov 2009
Location: BROOKLYN

Posts: 126
iTrader: (1)

Updates?
SECOND2NONE is offline  
0
Reply With Quote
      06-18-2013, 04:22 PM   #293
M3PO
Colonel
 
M3PO's Avatar
 
Drives: '08 IB E92
Join Date: Sep 2011
Location: OC

Posts: 2,729
iTrader: (6)

I don't see how this is the god send that roughly 200 posts in here make it out to be. I see two possible benefits here over the SC kits:

1) More peak power. But that will be 6MT (DCT guys already have incurable slipping issues with VT3) only and will require a built motor. It won't be a revolution for the platform. A few nutty guys will buy it to make HUGE power.

2) More low end power. Considering the (likely) huge cost and added complexity (especially compared to Harrop), it's not worth it IMO. Again, some people will buy it, but it's not heaven sent.



edit: If this half-baked teaser thread is any indication of the eventual outcome of this kit, I am not impressed.
__________________
2008 IB E92 M3| BBS | KW | Arkym | Platte Forme A.G. | Active Autowerke | K&N | Fabspeed | Dinan | Evolve-R
M3PO is offline  
0
Reply With Quote
      06-18-2013, 05:03 PM   #294
s65e90
Banned
 
Drives: 2009 e90
Join Date: May 2013
Location: SoFlo

Posts: 513
iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by M3PO View Post
I don't see how this is the god send that roughly 200 posts in here make it out to be. I see two possible benefits here over the SC kits:

1) More peak power. But that will be 6MT (DCT guys already have incurable slipping issues with VT3) only and will require a built motor. It won't be a revolution for the platform. A few nutty guys will buy it to make HUGE power.

2) More low end power. Considering the (likely) huge cost and added complexity (especially compared to Harrop), it's not worth it IMO. Again, some people will buy it, but it's not heaven sent.



edit: If this half-baked teaser thread is any indication of the eventual outcome of this kit, I am not impressed.

I for one like and have built many turbo cars. For the turbo guys there simply is nothing else. Blowers are cool, but a nice turbo setup is another level. From adding HP from a boost controller to making big #'s, the noises, etc. I just love turbo cars.
s65e90 is offline  
0
Reply With Quote
      06-18-2013, 05:09 PM   #295
M3PO
Colonel
 
M3PO's Avatar
 
Drives: '08 IB E92
Join Date: Sep 2011
Location: OC

Posts: 2,729
iTrader: (6)

Quote:
Originally Posted by s65e90 View Post
I for one like and have built many turbo cars. For the turbo guys there simply is nothing else. Blowers are cool, but a nice turbo setup is another level. From adding HP from a boost controller to making big #'s, the noises, etc. I just love turbo cars.
Can't argue with that aspect, that's for sure!
__________________
2008 IB E92 M3| BBS | KW | Arkym | Platte Forme A.G. | Active Autowerke | K&N | Fabspeed | Dinan | Evolve-R
M3PO is offline  
0
Reply With Quote
      06-18-2013, 06:00 PM   #296
apexkingjusto
Second Lieutenant
 
apexkingjusto's Avatar
 
Drives: E90 M3, 500HP S2000, and WRX
Join Date: Jun 2013
Location: CT

Posts: 209
iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tufosi View Post
subscribed...

hopefully these 3 things are met.

1) good power numbers
2) reliability
3) cost

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nordstat View Post
...pick 2
Pick 1 actually. Although depends what is meant by good number.... Good or great? Boosting an NA engine is a serious undertaking, your basically doubling to tripling the power the car and engine was designed to produce. I have over 50k miles on my turbo s2000 without trouble. I went we'll below HP levels of others, and spent a fortune to do it the right way and maintaine it the rght way.
apexkingjusto is offline  
0
Reply With Quote
      06-18-2013, 07:13 PM   #297
Ezio
Colonel
 
Ezio's Avatar
 
Drives: 2013 E92 M3
Join Date: Nov 2012
Location: MI

Posts: 2,675
iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by s65e90 View Post
I for one like and have built many turbo cars. For the turbo guys there simply is nothing else. Blowers are cool, but a nice turbo setup is another level. From adding HP from a boost controller to making big #'s, the noises, etc. I just love turbo cars.
i also love turbos. its much more interactive with the driver. with the spooling and such.

but the only reason i would ever go blower over trubo is cost and better support. There are decent amount of blower support and people going blower route that would make me feel better.

this kit is WAY to late to the party, and i wouldn't want it until its been around little. Plenty of kits have problems. doesnt matter how well known the brand is.
but again with all things equal, trubos are best!
Ezio is offline   United_States
0
Reply With Quote
      06-19-2013, 11:41 AM   #298
cSurf
Captain
 
cSurf's Avatar
 
Drives: BMW
Join Date: Jan 2012
Location: New England

Posts: 905
iTrader: (0)

So...queue the JB4 crowd saying 'i told you so'.

Interesting to see all the love for FI, particularly for a turbo set up, from the S65 community.

Subscribed.
cSurf is offline  
0
Reply With Quote
      06-19-2013, 11:22 PM   #299
kerkiraios00
Lieutenant
 
kerkiraios00's Avatar
 
Drives: '11 Jerez E90 M3
Join Date: Dec 2011
Location: Queens,NY

Posts: 468
iTrader: (0)

awesome aint nothing like a turbo!!! subscribed
__________________
11 E90 M3 Jerez BLK Metallic | EXT FOX RED NL | ZCP | MEISTERSCHAFT GT | LUX H8 V4 | HRE P43SC

07 JEEP PATRIOT LIMITED BLK- STU COILS 2.5' lift- 16' MOAB WHEELS
kerkiraios00 is offline   United_States
0
Reply With Quote
      06-21-2013, 02:22 AM   #300
pkimM3r
Major General
 
pkimM3r's Avatar
 
Drives: m3 saloon in granny mode.
Join Date: Dec 2009
Location: lost angeles

Posts: 7,283
iTrader: (0)

Damn. Shits gonna get real. And real expensive. High revving cars will need a lot of supporting mods to take turbos.

In the end this is gonna be 1000hp supra numbers.
__________________
the intardnet is 95% troll, 5% actual good shit. so are my posts.
my channel: pkim
pkimM3r is offline  
0
Reply With Quote
      06-21-2013, 09:14 AM   #301
apexkingjusto
Second Lieutenant
 
apexkingjusto's Avatar
 
Drives: E90 M3, 500HP S2000, and WRX
Join Date: Jun 2013
Location: CT

Posts: 209
iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by pkim1079 View Post
Damn. Shits gonna get real. And real expensive. High revving cars will need a lot of supporting mods to take turbos.

In the end this is gonna be 1000hp supra numbers.
I'm thinking even higher then that. GTR and Supra are 6cyl engines boosted, idk an 8cyl engine boosted I would bet we will see 1500+.

My concern as others have mentioned is how a lower compression will be achieved.

Also, perhaps if these cars can handle E85 with the high octane you can run much less boost and achieve good numbers.

Personally I hope it uses the new really efficient Borg Warner EFR turbos. They are so efficient and ahead of the curve it's imaging! Perhaps a twin scroll if it will fit
apexkingjusto is offline  
0
Reply With Quote
      06-21-2013, 09:19 AM   #302
Chriskm3
Colonel
 
Chriskm3's Avatar
 
Drives: M3
Join Date: Jul 2012
Location: Toronto

Posts: 2,218
iTrader: (4)

Video plz
__________________
Vf supercharger + tune/H&R coils/ Akra evolution exhaust/Volk te37/ Rs-3 tires/ Brembos /TIal BOV/ OSS blacked out headlights/LUX v3/Led taillights/ Challenge Front lip/ P3 vent gauge/ F10 m5 shift mob/Matte black front grills/ And a funky air fresher
Chriskm3 is offline   Canada
0
Reply With Quote
      06-21-2013, 09:33 AM   #303
playground
Second Lieutenant
 
Drives: E90 ///M3
Join Date: Jan 2013
Location: Causeway Bay & North York

Posts: 259
iTrader: (0)

Any videos, patiently waiting!
__________________
LAPTORR|ESS|GruppeM|BILSTEIN|BBS
playground is online now   Hong Kong
0
Reply With Quote
      06-21-2013, 09:55 AM   #304
crabman
Captain
 
Drives: M3
Join Date: Dec 2011
Location: WA

Posts: 669
iTrader: (0)

Whats may be possible on the top end is very different from what most of us would likely want in our cars out on the road. You can look at TT numbers from Corvette which has a fair number of TTs on the road to get an idea of what kind of numbers might be more realistic. As you consider those numbers keep in mind that the LS engine family is more boost friendly than what we have under our hoods. Also remember that the power levels some are mentioning would require significant drivetrain modification the parts for which are not exactly on the shelf.

Not trying to rain on anyones parade here, just trying to be realistic.
__________________
2012 E92 Space Grey with fox red/black/black, comp, premium, DCT, premium sound, sirius, heated seats.
crabman is offline  
0
Reply With Quote
      06-21-2013, 10:03 AM   #305
apexkingjusto
Second Lieutenant
 
apexkingjusto's Avatar
 
Drives: E90 M3, 500HP S2000, and WRX
Join Date: Jun 2013
Location: CT

Posts: 209
iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by crabman View Post
Whats may be possible on the top end is very different from what most of us would likely want in our cars out on the road. You can look at TT numbers from Corvette which has a fair number of TTs on the road to get an idea of what kind of numbers might be more realistic. As you consider those numbers keep in mind that the LS engine family is more boost friendly than what we have under our hoods. Also remember that the power levels some are mentioning would require significant drivetrain modification the parts for which are not exactly on the shelf.

Not trying to rain on anyones parade here, just trying to be realistic.

Very good point! And honestly even if it could handle it is personally probably only run max 12-15lbs and look for numbers under 1000 closer to 800's
apexkingjusto is offline  
0
Reply With Quote
      06-21-2013, 11:10 AM   #306
mdefalco25
Private First Class
 
Drives: E92 AW 6MT
Join Date: Nov 2012
Location: Normal, IL

Posts: 183
iTrader: (0)

Interested to see how this one plays out...
__________________
mdefalco25 is offline   United_States
0
Reply With Quote
      06-21-2013, 11:55 AM   #307
pkimM3r
Major General
 
pkimM3r's Avatar
 
Drives: m3 saloon in granny mode.
Join Date: Dec 2009
Location: lost angeles

Posts: 7,283
iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by apexkingjusto View Post
I'm thinking even higher then that. GTR and Supra are 6cyl engines boosted, idk an 8cyl engine boosted I would bet we will see 1500+.

My concern as others have mentioned is how a lower compression will be achieved.

Also, perhaps if these cars can handle E85 with the high octane you can run much less boost and achieve good numbers.

Personally I hope it uses the new really efficient Borg Warner EFR turbos. They are so efficient and ahead of the curve it's imaging! Perhaps a twin scroll if it will fit
Turbo'd s65 with external dump....omg that is gonna make me want to drive aimlessly to nowhere and not even come back home. (i do this but currently come back home haha)

I think the advantage of e85 is that since it is a higher octane, you can have MOAR boost. lol...

i too was wondering about the low compression factor.

random though: the same people are talking crap on the new f80 engine and now are excited that we can turbo ours.....funny.
__________________
the intardnet is 95% troll, 5% actual good shit. so are my posts.
my channel: pkim
pkimM3r is offline  
0
Reply With Quote
      06-21-2013, 12:25 PM   #308
STi_traitor
Banned
 
Drives: BTG 2014 - 3 Laps
Join Date: Sep 2012
Location: Bavaria

Posts: 1,000
iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Team Plutonium View Post
2 weeks are up... where is the promised video?
+1

Quote:
Originally Posted by apexkingjusto View Post
I'm thinking even higher then that. GTR and Supra are 6cyl engines boosted, idk an 8cyl engine boosted I would bet we will see 1500+.

My concern as others have mentioned is how a lower compression will be achieved.

Also, perhaps if these cars can handle E85 with the high octane you can run much less boost and achieve good numbers.

Personally I hope it uses the new really efficient Borg Warner EFR turbos. They are so efficient and ahead of the curve it's imaging! Perhaps a twin scroll if it will fit
TWIN SCROLL WOULD BE
STi_traitor is offline   No_Country
0
Reply With Quote
Post Reply

Bookmarks

Tags
bmw e90 m3, bmw e90 m3 forum, bmw e90 m3 forums, bmw e92 m3, bmw e92 m3 forum, bmw m forum, bmw m forums, bmw m3, bmw m3 forum, bmw m3 forums, bmw m3 turbo, e90 m3, e90 m3 forum, e90 m3 forums, e90 m3 turbo, e90 m3 twin turbo, e92 m3, e92 m3 forum, e92 m3 forums, gintani e90 m3, gintani e90 m3 turbo, gintani m3, gintani m3 turbo, gintani m3 twin turbo, gintani s65 turbo, gintani turbo m3, gintani twin turbo e90 m3, gintani twin turbo m3, m3 forum, m3 forums, s65 gintani turbo, s65 turbo, s65 twin turbo, turbo bmw m3, turbo e90 m3, turbo s65, twin turbo e90 m3, twin turbo s65

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Forum Jump


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 02:50 AM.




m3post
Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.7.0
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
1Addicts.com, BIMMERPOST.com, E90Post.com, F30Post.com, M3Post.com, ZPost.com, 5Post.com, 6Post.com, 7Post.com, XBimmers.com logo and trademark are properties of BIMMERPOST