BMW M3 Forum (E90 E92)

BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read


Go Back   M3Post - BMW M3 Forum > M3 (E90 / E92 / E93) > General M3 Forum (E90 + E92 + E93)
 
Lux Angel Eyes
Post Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
      09-11-2013, 08:24 AM   #1
Btturbo
New Member
 
Btturbo's Avatar
 
Drives: 2011 Red E90
Join Date: Aug 2013
Location: Texas

Posts: 28
iTrader: (0)

Steering vibrations @80mph (I did search)

I have this issue, bought the car wtih volk wheels on it and know that is more than likely the culprit. I have read the sticky on the subject but didnt see anyone post that it was a vibration that would come and go. That is my case, almost every time I go over 80 (which is often on our autobahn toll road in Austin and IH35) I get a vibration in the steering wheel. Funny thing is, sometimes it will just go away for a few mins and then return again. Also, it is no worse at 120 than it is at 80........

I am going to get the front wheels rebalanced first, and if that don't work taking it to the dealer to verifiy there are no issues with calibers.

Just seeing if anyone else had similar and how ti was resolved.
Btturbo is offline   United_States
0
Reply With Quote
      09-11-2013, 08:42 AM   #2
kscarrol
Colonel
 
Drives: 2011 E90 M3
Join Date: Jun 2010
Location: New Orleans, LA

Posts: 2,043
iTrader: (0)

Just curious, is this happening on the same stretch of road? Small chance it could be the road surface... Just a thought.
__________________
Current: 2011 Space Grey E90 M3, DCT, Comp. Pkg., Conv. Pkg., everything but Cold Weather Pkg!
Gone: 2008 550, Space Grey, Sports Package, Sport Auto Transmission.
Sold: 2004 545i (U.S.), Steptronic, Silver Gray.
kscarrol is offline   United_States
0
Reply With Quote
      09-11-2013, 09:08 AM   #3
Btturbo
New Member
 
Btturbo's Avatar
 
Drives: 2011 Red E90
Join Date: Aug 2013
Location: Texas

Posts: 28
iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by kscarrol View Post
Just curious, is this happening on the same stretch of road? Small chance it could be the road surface... Just a thought.
Good question, because I did notice right away how sensitive the car was to the road surface (Only had the car for 3 weeks now). But no thats not the case, drove to Dallas from Austin last week (190 miles each way) on multiple surfaces with pretty much the same result throughout the trip.

It was on this trip that a Benz and Camaro came blasting by at around 100 mph, to which I promptly let the M3 stretch its legs and toyed with them a bit before backing off due to that stupid vibration!
Btturbo is offline   United_States
0
Reply With Quote
      09-11-2013, 09:48 AM   #4
DopeM3
M Power
 
DopeM3's Avatar
 
Drives: M3
Join Date: Jun 2012
Location: NH

Posts: 1,295
iTrader: (8)

Wheel balance, alignment, do you have spacers? Right tire pressure? Actual wheel bent? Condition of tires?

Can be a lot things.
DopeM3 is offline   United_States
0
Reply With Quote
      09-11-2013, 11:17 AM   #5
Antonio1988
Lieutenant
 
Antonio1988's Avatar
 
Drives: 2012 BMW E92 M3
Join Date: Sep 2012
Location: Miami

Posts: 550
iTrader: (0)

Horrid problem... those Volks are garbage and definitely the culprit. Sell them to me for $100 now before their value hits rock bottom








































__________________

2012 BMW E92 M3
Antonio1988 is offline  
0
Reply With Quote
      09-11-2013, 12:57 PM   #6
C-M2
Private First Class
 
Drives: 09 E92 SG M3
Join Date: Oct 2007
Location: Chicago

Posts: 155
iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Btturbo View Post

I am going to get the front wheels rebalanced first, and if that don't work taking it to the dealer to verifiy there are no issues with calibers.

Just seeing if anyone else had similar and how ti was resolved.
Find a road force balancing facility near you and have them re-balance the wheels. They'll be able to tell you if the tires are out of round, incorrectly balanced, ect. Just an idea of how much a off balance can effect the wheels is my wheels were .5 out of balance due to the fact that the place who originally balanced my wheels didn't recalibrate their machine in the correct intervals. This place mounted 1000's of tires weekly..

Shouldn't be the calipers. If anything the rotors but that would likely be felt at braking as well.
__________________

Current: 2009 Space Gray e92 M3
Gone: 2004 Jet Black/Black SMG M3
C-M2 is offline  
0
Reply With Quote
      09-11-2013, 06:46 PM   #7
TTSam
Second Lieutenant
 
TTSam's Avatar
 
Drives: 2010 E92 M3
Join Date: Nov 2011
Location: Burlington

Posts: 245
iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Btturbo View Post
I have this issue, bought the car wtih volk wheels on it and know that is more than likely the culprit. I have read the sticky on the subject but didnt see anyone post that it was a vibration that would come and go. That is my case, almost every time I go over 80 (which is often on our autobahn toll road in Austin and IH35) I get a vibration in the steering wheel. Funny thing is, sometimes it will just go away for a few mins and then return again. Also, it is no worse at 120 than it is at 80........

I am going to get the front wheels rebalanced first, and if that don't work taking it to the dealer to verifiy there are no issues with calibers.

Just seeing if anyone else had similar and how ti was resolved.
I had the same issue before changing my tires. The tech who changed the tires re-balanced the wheels, and indicated one of the weights had dropped off previously - which probably was the cause of the vibration.

Almost always a tire balance issue. I have spacers as well - no vibration after the balance.
TTSam is offline   Canada
0
Reply With Quote
      09-12-2013, 09:18 PM   #8
iamcpap
Captain
 
iamcpap's Avatar
 
Drives: 2008 E90 LCI M3
Join Date: Nov 2011
Location: Chicago, IL

Posts: 733
iTrader: (6)

I had this issue when I was running Volks, pulled to the left and vibrated over 80...

Did RoadForce balancing 2-3 times to no avail... Got car aligned to no avail...

Finally just put HRE'S on and problem went away. I am guessing it was a bad front tire from Hankook, but will never know.

My guess would be bad tire.
__________________
2008 E90 M3 | Interlagos Blue | Speed Cloth | 6MT - A work in progress...
2011 E92 M3 ZCP - Gone, but not forgotten.
iamcpap is offline   United_States
0
Reply With Quote
      09-12-2013, 09:27 PM   #9
Ca$hOnly
Major
 
Ca$hOnly's Avatar
 
Drives: E92 M3
Join Date: Apr 2009
Location: In ur fridge, eatin ur foodz

Posts: 1,078
iTrader: (5)

Where in Texas are you? I might be able to help you out.
__________________
Ca$hOnly is offline   United_States
0
Reply With Quote
      09-12-2013, 10:11 PM   #10
Btturbo
New Member
 
Btturbo's Avatar
 
Drives: 2011 Red E90
Join Date: Aug 2013
Location: Texas

Posts: 28
iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Antonio1988 View Post
Horrid problem... those Volks are garbage and definitely the culprit. Sell them to me for $100 now before their value hits rock bottom







































Hmm...let me think about that for one quick sec.....NO!
__________________
2011 Melbourne Red E90 M3, DCT, Conv Pkg, Cold Weather Pkg, Volk 19" Black Wheels, Front CF Splitters
Btturbo is offline   United_States
0
Reply With Quote
      09-12-2013, 10:12 PM   #11
Btturbo
New Member
 
Btturbo's Avatar
 
Drives: 2011 Red E90
Join Date: Aug 2013
Location: Texas

Posts: 28
iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ca$hOnly View Post
Where in Texas are you? I might be able to help you out.
In Austin area, what you got in mind?
__________________
2011 Melbourne Red E90 M3, DCT, Conv Pkg, Cold Weather Pkg, Volk 19" Black Wheels, Front CF Splitters
Btturbo is offline   United_States
0
Reply With Quote
      09-12-2013, 10:27 PM   #12
Btturbo
New Member
 
Btturbo's Avatar
 
Drives: 2011 Red E90
Join Date: Aug 2013
Location: Texas

Posts: 28
iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by TTSam View Post
I had the same issue before changing my tires. The tech who changed the tires re-balanced the wheels, and indicated one of the weights had dropped off previously - which probably was the cause of the vibration.

Almost always a tire balance issue. I have spacers as well - no vibration after the balance.
Sounds like this is definately the first step.....scheduling something soon.
__________________
2011 Melbourne Red E90 M3, DCT, Conv Pkg, Cold Weather Pkg, Volk 19" Black Wheels, Front CF Splitters
Btturbo is offline   United_States
0
Reply With Quote
      09-13-2013, 08:59 AM   #13
cambit
Private First Class
 
Drives: 2013 BMW M3 COUPE
Join Date: Jul 2012
Location: San Francisco, CA

Posts: 145
iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by AyooooJay View Post
Wheel balance, alignment, do you have spacers? Right tire pressure? Actual wheel bent? Condition of tires?

Can be a lot things.


In addition to the above, I would also check if the wheels are hubcentric

cambit is offline   United_States
0
Reply With Quote
      09-13-2013, 01:48 PM   #14
font9a
New Member
 
Drives: 2011 BMW M3 ZCP
Join Date: Apr 2009
Location: Austin, Texas USA

Posts: 17
iTrader: (0)

Of the 3 BMWs I've owned they have all had steering-wheel vibration problems solved by getting a road load alignment and wheel balance. The road load alignment makes a huge difference and I've always had to do one after new tires installed.
font9a is offline  
0
Reply With Quote
      09-13-2013, 05:45 PM   #15
crl8474
Private First Class
 
Drives: 2011 E90 M3
Join Date: Jan 2011
Location: Prosper, Tx

Posts: 149
iTrader: (1)

I have this same issue. The dealership did a full alignment and Road Force balance twice. It has gotten slightly better but hasn't completely disappeared. Like your car, it doesn't happen all the time so I'm convinced that the car is simply sensitive to changes in the road surface. I notice it most on the North Dallas Tollway and specifically the newer sections added in the last 5-7 (or so) years.
crl8474 is offline  
0
Reply With Quote
      10-18-2013, 11:47 PM   #16
Btturbo
New Member
 
Btturbo's Avatar
 
Drives: 2011 Red E90
Join Date: Aug 2013
Location: Texas

Posts: 28
iTrader: (0)

**update**

So, I finally had some time to get my car to a tire shop, they did a True Match, Hunter machine but they don't call it Road a Force. Anyway it was at a Discount Tire here in my area, bought many tires there on previous vehicles and they were more than happy to take care of me and provide special care to my wheels. I bought the care back mid-summer with the Volks on it. While inspecting the tires, the guy notes they are 2008 model year tires....wtf???? Still in great shape, not sure how they have been around that long, o well. So they do the drivers front first, machine tells them to rotate tire on wheel. Took two stout guys all the strength they have to rotate it about a quarter turn on the wheel. Remount and balance, then move to passenger side.
I noticed when the put it on balancer it appears not to be centered, they adjust twice, same result and then they guy grabs my paperwork and heads in to find me, I already know what's coming. He confirms, my wheel is bent. Dammit!!! They go ahead and balance and stick back on car.

To my surprise, hit the road and headed out to the toll (80 mph speed limit) and car is smooth!!! I thought for sure vibration would come right back, but it didn't. Guess it was not just the bent wheel but more a balance issue.

I guess now I need to try and hunt another wheel, have no idea what exact offset and all are currently on it....any advice on where to look for that info on the wheel and where to find Volk wheels would be great. Just don't feel comfortable leaving it on there.
__________________
2011 Melbourne Red E90 M3, DCT, Conv Pkg, Cold Weather Pkg, Volk 19" Black Wheels, Front CF Splitters
Btturbo is offline   United_States
0
Reply With Quote
      10-19-2013, 01:39 AM   #17
Arben72
Banned
 
Drives: E92 M3
Join Date: Apr 2011
Location: Illinois

Posts: 466
iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Btturbo
So, I finally had some time to get my car to a tire shop, they did a True Match, Hunter machine but they don't call it Road a Force. Anyway it was at a Discount Tire here in my area, bought many tires there on previous vehicles and they were more than happy to take care of me and provide special care to my wheels. I bought the care back mid-summer with the Volks on it. While inspecting the tires, the guy notes they are 2008 model year tires....wtf???? Still in great shape, not sure how they have been around that long, o well. So they do the drivers front first, machine tells them to rotate tire on wheel. Took two stout guys all the strength they have to rotate it about a quarter turn on the wheel. Remount and balance, then move to passenger side.
I noticed when the put it on balancer it appears not to be centered, they adjust twice, same result and then they guy grabs my paperwork and heads in to find me, I already know what's coming. He confirms, my wheel is bent. Dammit!!! They go ahead and balance and stick back on car.

To my surprise, hit the road and headed out to the toll (80 mph speed limit) and car is smooth!!! I thought for sure vibration would come right back, but it didn't. Guess it was not just the bent wheel but more a balance issue.

I guess now I need to try and hunt another wheel, have no idea what exact offset and all are currently on it....any advice on where to look for that info on the wheel and where to find Volk wheels would be great. Just don't feel comfortable leaving it on there.
If it's bent just get it repaired. It's not worth getting another wheels that finish may or may not have aged/worn just like yours. Also it's an added unnecessary cost.
Arben72 is offline   Albania
0
Reply With Quote
Post Reply

Bookmarks

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Forum Jump


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 11:05 PM.




m3post
Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.7.0
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
1Addicts.com, BIMMERPOST.com, E90Post.com, F30Post.com, M3Post.com, ZPost.com, 5Post.com, 6Post.com, 7Post.com, XBimmers.com logo and trademark are properties of BIMMERPOST