BMW M3 Forum (E90 E92)

BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read


Go Back   M3Post - BMW M3 Forum > E90/E92 M3 Technical Topics > Engine, Transmission, Exhaust, Drivetrain, ECU Software Modifications
 
OneEighty
Post Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
      06-11-2013, 03:15 PM   #177
h4nh
Captain
 
h4nh's Avatar
 
Drives: 09 SC E90 M3 / 13 F10 M5
Join Date: Sep 2011
Location: Dallas, TX

Posts: 847
iTrader: (0)

Garage List
2009 E90 M3 (superc ...  [5.00]
2013 M5  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by erm324 View Post
Technically you can by dropping the oil pan, but is the headache worth the measly extra 25 hp over the 625 kit? No IMHO. I've raced 650 kits before when I had my 625 kit and the cars were nose and nose - I could never tell the performance difference between the cars on the street or at the track, it was spitting hairs at that point.
I would definately replace bearings for 625 kit as well because I had the same issues.
__________________
h4nh is offline   United_States
0
Reply With Quote
      06-11-2013, 03:21 PM   #178
h4nh
Captain
 
h4nh's Avatar
 
Drives: 09 SC E90 M3 / 13 F10 M5
Join Date: Sep 2011
Location: Dallas, TX

Posts: 847
iTrader: (0)

Garage List
2009 E90 M3 (superc ...  [5.00]
2013 M5  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by shadye90 View Post
In my opinion the 25hp increase may not be worth the headache of switching out the rod bearings but the peice of mind knowing that a potential issue with the bearings have been eliminated(at least in theory) is worth it at any power level..
VAC Motorsports posted their coated bearings as a maintenance item. So even with a stock engine I would consider having them done.
__________________
h4nh is offline   United_States
0
Reply With Quote
      06-11-2013, 03:31 PM   #179
Brooklyn Mark
Banned
 
Drives: 2013 M3 MR E92 DCT
Join Date: Feb 2010
Location: Brooklyn, NY

Posts: 509
iTrader: (1)

Send a message via AIM to Brooklyn Mark
Quote:
Originally Posted by erm324 View Post
sorry to hear about that mark...I've seen your car at ACM many times and it was one of my favorites. Did you have any ticking noises before it blew? Even after removing my blower and all engine modifications my car has a ticking (sometimes pretty loud) sound to this day. Also, its new to me that high performance rod bearings are now required for the 650 kit.....there are at least a handful local people running that kit on stock rod bearings, never heard of that until now.
No, I never had any ticking noise.

I know this bearing fix/update is pretty new, because I just upgraded from 600 to 650 less than 2-3 months ago and it was not included.

I pushed my car to the limit on a daily basis. (Last year I had some high speed problems with the kit that would cause a knocking noise at 125mph, it was later fixed with an "updated tune". Who knows maybe that caused some kind of damage, even Roman from ESS told me himself that not many people drive that hard, and they needed feedback from more aggressive owners. I did over 38,000 miles in 2 years, 20k supercharged. Top speeds on the track of 170+ I think I drove harder and more frequent than 80% of all owners of these kits. I am curious to see if more engines will start to blow as time passes and they put on more "wear/tear".

Last edited by Brooklyn Mark; 06-11-2013 at 03:40 PM.
Brooklyn Mark is offline   United_States
0
Reply With Quote
      06-11-2013, 04:06 PM   #180
VCMpower
Banned
 
Drives: 2010 Dakar, 2013 Fire Orange
Join Date: Jan 2010
Location: Victoria B.C.

Posts: 941
iTrader: (0)




Quote:
Originally Posted by h4nh View Post
VAC Motorsports posted their coated bearings as a maintenance item. So even with a stock engine I would consider having them done.
VCMpower is offline   Canada
0
Reply With Quote
      06-11-2013, 04:10 PM   #181
VCMpower
Banned
 
Drives: 2010 Dakar, 2013 Fire Orange
Join Date: Jan 2010
Location: Victoria B.C.

Posts: 941
iTrader: (0)

Of course they will



Quote:
Originally Posted by Brooklyn Mark View Post
I am curious to see if more engines will start to blow as time passes and they put on more "wear/tear".
VCMpower is offline   Canada
0
Reply With Quote
      06-11-2013, 05:06 PM   #182
s65e90
Banned
 
Drives: 2009 e90
Join Date: May 2013
Location: SoFlo

Posts: 513
iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by VCMpower View Post
Of course they will
why?? def shouldn't be the case. Just like this forum has gotten people to believe that changing the bearings is "almost" like a maintenance item. Is it insurance for boost?? sure, but nothing to be overly concerned about. Cars should last 250k + miles with nothing but maintenance.
s65e90 is offline  
0
Reply With Quote
      06-11-2013, 05:07 PM   #183
s65e90
Banned
 
Drives: 2009 e90
Join Date: May 2013
Location: SoFlo

Posts: 513
iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brooklyn Mark View Post
No, I never had any ticking noise.

I know this bearing fix/update is pretty new, because I just upgraded from 600 to 650 less than 2-3 months ago and it was not included.

I pushed my car to the limit on a daily basis. (Last year I had some high speed problems with the kit that would cause a knocking noise at 125mph, it was later fixed with an "updated tune". Who knows maybe that caused some kind of damage, even Roman from ESS told me himself that not many people drive that hard, and they needed feedback from more aggressive owners. I did over 38,000 miles in 2 years, 20k supercharged. Top speeds on the track of 170+ I think I drove harder and more frequent than 80% of all owners of these kits. I am curious to see if more engines will start to blow as time passes and they put on more "wear/tear".


um that would def concern me. You should not be able to hear an audible knock. At that point I would say maybe something was compromised.
s65e90 is offline  
0
Reply With Quote
      06-11-2013, 05:12 PM   #184
VCMpower
Banned
 
Drives: 2010 Dakar, 2013 Fire Orange
Join Date: Jan 2010
Location: Victoria B.C.

Posts: 941
iTrader: (0)

Time will tell. But you are right, should not be the case. Long oil service intervals and tighter oil clearances will show their true colors. Boost does not have all to do with this.


Quote:
Originally Posted by s65e90 View Post
why?? def shouldn't be the case. Just like this forum has gotten people to believe that changing the bearings is "almost" like a maintenance item. Is it insurance for boost?? sure, but nothing to be overly concerned about. Cars should last 250k + miles with nothing but maintenance.
VCMpower is offline   Canada
0
Reply With Quote
      06-11-2013, 05:39 PM   #185
dmppdx
Second Lieutenant
 
Drives: 2011 E90 M3
Join Date: Nov 2011
Location: PNW

Posts: 215
iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by VCMpower View Post
Time will tell. But you are right, should not be the case. Long oil service intervals and tighter oil clearances will show their true colors. Boost does not have all to do with this.
How could boost not having anything to do with it? Even with the best tune and under the best conditions more pressure equals more friction, more wear and everything else. The only people seem to be not believing this are people with SC.
dmppdx is offline  
0
Reply With Quote
      06-11-2013, 05:56 PM   #186
VCMpower
Banned
 
Drives: 2010 Dakar, 2013 Fire Orange
Join Date: Jan 2010
Location: Victoria B.C.

Posts: 941
iTrader: (0)

Hey, I believe there is an issue. I have said it before. SC or not, it is happening. People with NA cars do not drive them easier or sit in the driveway until temps get up a bit before driving off. In fact I drove my car more aggressivley more frequently when it was NA. A client just traded his 2010 M3 in as lease was over. His car had 2 oil changes. Pity the person that buys that car.



Quote:
Originally Posted by dmppdx View Post
How could boost not having anything to do with it? Even with the best tune and under the best conditions more pressure equals more friction, more wear and everything else. The only people seem to be not believing this are people with SC.
VCMpower is offline   Canada
0
Reply With Quote
      06-11-2013, 06:35 PM   #187
thekurgan
Bad Lieutenant
 
thekurgan's Avatar
 
Drives: E90M3
Join Date: Aug 2007
Location: Sacramento

Posts: 2,750
iTrader: (0)

Garage List
2008 BMW M3  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by VCMpower View Post
Hey, I believe there is an issue. I have said it before. SC or not, it is happening. People with NA cars do not drive them easier or sit in the driveway until temps get up a bit before driving off. In fact I drove my car more aggressivley more frequently when it was NA. A client just traded his 2010 M3 in as lease was over. His car had 2 oil changes. Pity the person that buys that car.
If there is an issue, supercharging would both increase the rate at which the failure may occur and the odds of the failure happening.

The light that burns twice as bright, burns half as long ... the S65 is no exception to this.

I hope the OP gets it worked out, it seems as though this is an anomaly with that low mileage.
__________________

08 E90M3 6MT Alpinweiss/Carbon/BMW Pedals/Dinan Exhaust/Rattle fixes
thekurgan is offline   United_States
0
Reply With Quote
      06-11-2013, 06:39 PM   #188
VCMpower
Banned
 
Drives: 2010 Dakar, 2013 Fire Orange
Join Date: Jan 2010
Location: Victoria B.C.

Posts: 941
iTrader: (0)

Agree, I was simply saying SC is not the sole contributor to this.

Quote:
Originally Posted by thekurgan View Post
If there is an issue, supercharging would both increase the rate at which the failure may occur and the odds of the failure happening.

The light that burns twice as bright, burns half as long ... the S65 is no exception to this.

I hope the OP gets it worked out, it seems as though this is an anomaly with that low mileage.
VCMpower is offline   Canada
0
Reply With Quote
      06-11-2013, 06:42 PM   #189
thekurgan
Bad Lieutenant
 
thekurgan's Avatar
 
Drives: E90M3
Join Date: Aug 2007
Location: Sacramento

Posts: 2,750
iTrader: (0)

Garage List
2008 BMW M3  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by VCMpower View Post
Agree, I was simply saying SC is not the sole contributor to this.
Completely agree; from what I've read, it seems like a sudden oil starvation issue, in which case, a dry sump conversion may be in order for supercharging? I'm not knowledgeable as to that cost, but I imagine it's high.
__________________

08 E90M3 6MT Alpinweiss/Carbon/BMW Pedals/Dinan Exhaust/Rattle fixes
thekurgan is offline   United_States
0
Reply With Quote
      06-11-2013, 08:49 PM   #190
baba louey
Second Lieutenant
 
Drives: 2012 M3 coupe
Join Date: Aug 2012
Location: calgary

Posts: 235
iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brooklyn Mark View Post
No, I never had any ticking noise.

I know this bearing fix/update is pretty new, because I just upgraded from 600 to 650 less than 2-3 months ago and it was not included.

I pushed my car to the limit on a daily basis. (Last year I had some high speed problems with the kit that would cause a knocking noise at 125mph, it was later fixed with an "updated tune". Who knows maybe that caused some kind of damage, even Roman from ESS told me himself that not many people drive that hard, and they needed feedback from more aggressive owners. I did over 38,000 miles in 2 years, 20k supercharged. Top speeds on the track of 170+ I think I drove harder and more frequent than 80% of all owners of these kits. I am curious to see if more engines will start to blow as time passes and they put on more "wear/tear".
At one time this thread discussed whether warranty would cover this. After reading the above quote, my god BMW better NOT cover this. You hop it up, drive it all the time like your pants are on fire, and have high speed detonation with an aftermarket SC. Hmmmm.....me thinks this is more than a con rod bearing problem. Cause of engine failure, the owner.
baba louey is offline  
0
Reply With Quote
      06-11-2013, 10:07 PM   #191
h4nh
Captain
 
h4nh's Avatar
 
Drives: 09 SC E90 M3 / 13 F10 M5
Join Date: Sep 2011
Location: Dallas, TX

Posts: 847
iTrader: (0)

Garage List
2009 E90 M3 (superc ...  [5.00]
2013 M5  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by baba louey View Post
At one time this thread discussed whether warranty would cover this. After reading the above quote, my god BMW better NOT cover this. You hop it up, drive it all the time like your pants are on fire, and have high speed detonation with an aftermarket SC. Hmmmm.....me thinks this is more than a con rod bearing problem. Cause of engine failure, the owner.
Lol seriously who would spend 18k on a supercharger and baby the car. People want to upgrade the power to run it hard so parts are bound to wear out. I wouldn't blame the owner for driving the car as it was intended to.
__________________
h4nh is offline   United_States
0
Reply With Quote
      06-11-2013, 10:33 PM   #192
Jbook
Major
 
Jbook's Avatar
 
Drives: '11 ESS E90 M3
Join Date: Sep 2010
Location: South Bay Area

Posts: 1,269
iTrader: (20)

Garage List
2011 BMW E90 M3  [4.72]
Quote:
Originally Posted by h4nh View Post
I would definately replace bearings for 625 kit as well because I had the same issues.
Aren't you the one that put 91 and 89 octane in a supercharged car tuned for 93 and blew your motor?
__________________
ESS VT2-625 w/ DCT Software | Alekshop Oil Cooler | Awron Gauge | 19" BBS FI | Ohlins R&T w/ Vorshlag Camber Plates | Alekshop Subframe Bushings | RD Sport Sway Bars F&R | Dinan Strut Braces & Pedals | Brembo GT 380 F&R w/ Endless Pads | Akrapovic GT4 | Vorsteiner GTS-V Lip | 3D Design Diffuser | Platte Forme CF Side Skirt Extensions | BMW Performance Seats, CF Spoiler, CF Mirror Covers & Steering Wheel
Jbook is online now  
0
Reply With Quote
      06-11-2013, 10:38 PM   #193
Ezio
Colonel
 
Ezio's Avatar
 
Drives: 2013 E92 M3
Join Date: Nov 2012
Location: MI

Posts: 2,826
iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by h4nh View Post
Lol seriously who would spend 18k on a supercharger and baby the car. People want to upgrade the power to run it hard so parts are bound to wear out. I wouldn't blame the owner for driving the car as it was intended to.
The m3 was not made for this kind of power. Of course it can handle more power. but 200hp+ over factory and driven hard...... dam.
Ezio is offline   United_States
0
Reply With Quote
      06-11-2013, 10:56 PM   #194
baba louey
Second Lieutenant
 
Drives: 2012 M3 coupe
Join Date: Aug 2012
Location: calgary

Posts: 235
iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by h4nh View Post
Lol seriously who would spend 18k on a supercharger and baby the car. People want to upgrade the power to run it hard so parts are bound to wear out. I wouldn't blame the owner for driving the car as it was intended to.
Col (crying out loud). I would blame the owner for taking a 414hp engine and adding 200+hp to it without beefing up any other part on the engine. Then to think about trying to trick BMW into warrantying it! This is why when we have a real warranty issue, we have to bend over backwards to get our just deserts from BMW.
baba louey is offline  
0
Reply With Quote
      06-11-2013, 10:57 PM   #195
h4nh
Captain
 
h4nh's Avatar
 
Drives: 09 SC E90 M3 / 13 F10 M5
Join Date: Sep 2011
Location: Dallas, TX

Posts: 847
iTrader: (0)

Garage List
2009 E90 M3 (superc ...  [5.00]
2013 M5  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jbook View Post
Aren't you the one that put 91 and 89 octane in a supercharged car tuned for 93 and blew your motor?
Yeah I did. It blew up and I bought a new engine and it's currently being built for low compression
__________________
h4nh is offline   United_States
0
Reply With Quote
      06-11-2013, 11:09 PM   #196
h4nh
Captain
 
h4nh's Avatar
 
Drives: 09 SC E90 M3 / 13 F10 M5
Join Date: Sep 2011
Location: Dallas, TX

Posts: 847
iTrader: (0)

Garage List
2009 E90 M3 (superc ...  [5.00]
2013 M5  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by baba louey View Post
Col (crying out loud). I would blame the owner for taking a 414hp engine and adding 200+hp to it without beefing up any other part on the engine. Then to think about trying to trick BMW into warrantying it! This is why when we have a real warranty issue, we have to bend over backwards to get our just deserts from BMW.
OP never said he was going to try to trick the dealer. If your 20k engine blew up would you have any thoughts of trying to getting it warrantied if your warranty was not up yet?

Nobody really had issues with the E9X m3 till recently for them to figure out internals need to be built. There's some M3s here that have been supercharged 80k+ miles out of it with no issues. So most would assume it would be no issue.

I'm sure more people have blown up their engines and have not posted it publicly because people start pointing fingers and bashing on them. Just be happy he posted it so other forum members can be more cautious.
__________________
h4nh is offline   United_States
0
Reply With Quote
      06-11-2013, 11:11 PM   #197
Jbook
Major
 
Jbook's Avatar
 
Drives: '11 ESS E90 M3
Join Date: Sep 2010
Location: South Bay Area

Posts: 1,269
iTrader: (20)

Garage List
2011 BMW E90 M3  [4.72]
Quote:
Originally Posted by h4nh View Post
Yeah I did. It blew up and I bought a new engine and it's currently being built for low compression
__________________
ESS VT2-625 w/ DCT Software | Alekshop Oil Cooler | Awron Gauge | 19" BBS FI | Ohlins R&T w/ Vorshlag Camber Plates | Alekshop Subframe Bushings | RD Sport Sway Bars F&R | Dinan Strut Braces & Pedals | Brembo GT 380 F&R w/ Endless Pads | Akrapovic GT4 | Vorsteiner GTS-V Lip | 3D Design Diffuser | Platte Forme CF Side Skirt Extensions | BMW Performance Seats, CF Spoiler, CF Mirror Covers & Steering Wheel
Jbook is online now  
0
Reply With Quote
      06-11-2013, 11:17 PM   #198
Evolve-US
BimmerPost Supporting Vendor

 
Evolve-US's Avatar
 
Drives: E92 M3
Join Date: Jan 2013
Location: USA

Posts: 267
iTrader: (0)

wow, subscribed to hear more about what happened
Evolve-US is offline  
0
Reply With Quote
Post Reply

Bookmarks

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Forum Jump


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 04:17 PM.




m3post
Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.7.0
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
1Addicts.com, BIMMERPOST.com, E90Post.com, F30Post.com, M3Post.com, ZPost.com, 5Post.com, 6Post.com, 7Post.com, XBimmers.com logo and trademark are properties of BIMMERPOST