BMW M3 Forum (E90 E92)

BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read


Go Back   M3Post - BMW M3 Forum > E90/E92 M3 Technical Topics > Cosmetic/Visual (Exterior + Interior) Modifications
 
Race Precision Motorsport
Post Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
      06-20-2013, 01:18 PM   #23
LuxAngelEyes
BimmerPost Supporting Vendor

 
LuxAngelEyes's Avatar
 
Drives: 2006 325xi, Sparkling Graphite
Join Date: Jan 2011
Location: New Haven, CT

Posts: 3,080
iTrader: (12)

Quote:
Originally Posted by THE TECH View Post
I'd rather have a brighter light than color changing ability. Would definitely sell more.
What color would you prefer then, 5000, 6000, 6500K,... etc?
__________________

LUX H8 V4 - Color Adjustable Angel Eyes | LUX H8 V4 Ultimate Review
LUX will be closed from Sept 6th - Sept 21st. We will be unavailable to respond to messages during this time frame
LuxAngelEyes is offline   United_States
0
Reply With Quote
      06-20-2013, 01:21 PM   #24
THE TECH
BimmerPost Supporting Vendor

 
THE TECH's Avatar
 
Drives: BPMsport 2012 E92 M3
Join Date: Jun 2011
Location: Kansas

Posts: 13,079
iTrader: (44)

Garage List
Send a message via AIM to THE TECH Send a message via Skype™ to THE TECH
Quote:
Originally Posted by LuxAngelEyes View Post
What color would you prefer then, 5000, 6000, 6500K,... etc?
Personally, just 5000-6000 max, white. But if the brightness is going to be the same, there is no interest. People want brightness close to LCI lights so if I were you, that would be my main goal. Changing shades of white/blue seems like a waste of time.
__________________
THE TECH is offline   United_States
0
Reply With Quote
      06-20-2013, 01:57 PM   #25
Z K
Colonel
 
Z K's Avatar
 
Drives: E90 M3
Join Date: Jul 2011
Location: San Francisco

Posts: 2,085
iTrader: (3)

The use of the blue color LEDs is what causes the spots.. I'll stick to my 5000k V3s as they have only one color and it is white. I wouldn't want uneven color as you adjust the color settings.

As Tech mentioned, it'd be great to have just the brighter LEDs with uniform color and uniform inner/outer ring brightness.
__________________
Auto Detailing Enthusiast!
Z K is offline   United_States
0
Reply With Quote
      06-20-2013, 02:16 PM   #26
JuRuKi
Private First Class
 
Drives: E90 M3
Join Date: Sep 2012
Location: SoCaL

Posts: 112
iTrader: (1)

i would do 5.7k but without the blue bleeding out? Maybe using 1 color LED instead of mixing 2 colors.
Im really happy with my lights and the brightness. Just not too crazy about the blue

Last edited by JuRuKi; 06-20-2013 at 04:47 PM.
JuRuKi is offline  
0
Reply With Quote
      06-20-2013, 04:19 PM   #27
r3zon8
Private First Class
 
Drives: E92 AW M3
Join Date: Nov 2010
Location: Miami, FL

Posts: 159
iTrader: (1)

Send a message via AIM to r3zon8
Everyone's comments seem to pose the same question, and given my observations so far I think this is a valid question for Lux.:

If the blue LEDs in the v4 module were switched for white LEDs, what would be the result?

I'm assuming these modules must be engineered around a target thermal envelope. How much load can you pull from the factory harness? How much current can the electronics in the v4 unit output? All questions that (and this is all speculation) would dictate if you could make the LED module with ONLY white LEDs and then light them all at the same time at full power.

My personal taste is ALL white, as bright as safely and RELIABLY as possible.
__________________
'13 AW E92 M3 ZCP / M-DCT / Macht Schnell / MPE / LUX V4 / 3M Wrap
-
r3zon8 is offline   United_States
0
Reply With Quote
      06-20-2013, 06:52 PM   #28
MWM3
Banned
 
Drives: 2012 E92 M3
Join Date: Jun 2009
Location: SoCal

Posts: 208
iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by r3zon8 View Post
Everyone's comments seem to pose the same question, and given my observations so far I think this is a valid question for Lux.:

If the blue LEDs in the v4 module were switched for white LEDs, what would be the result?

I'm assuming these modules must be engineered around a target thermal envelope. How much load can you pull from the factory harness? How much current can the electronics in the v4 unit output? All questions that (and this is all speculation) would dictate if you could make the LED module with ONLY white LEDs and then light them all at the same time at full power.

My personal taste is ALL white, as bright as safely and RELIABLY as possible.
Also minus the flicker when shutting down - holding off on buying these until a more polished product is developed.
MWM3 is offline  
0
Reply With Quote
      06-21-2013, 03:43 PM   #29
te37
Private
 
Drives: Not a BMW :(
Join Date: Jun 2013
Location: SomeWhere

Posts: 59
iTrader: (0)

That "plasma coating" is phosphor. Those are the leds that give off the pure white light. The clear leds give off a blue light, so depending on how bright each led group is, that is what is going to give you your K color. It seems like Lux would benefit from using some type of diffuser to mix the colors better and not have sharp blue at certain points of the ring.

Anyway, nice review.
te37 is offline  
0
Reply With Quote
      06-26-2013, 11:13 AM   #30
LuxAngelEyes
BimmerPost Supporting Vendor

 
LuxAngelEyes's Avatar
 
Drives: 2006 325xi, Sparkling Graphite
Join Date: Jan 2011
Location: New Haven, CT

Posts: 3,080
iTrader: (12)

Quote:
Originally Posted by te37 View Post
That "plasma coating" is phosphor. Those are the leds that give off the pure white light. The clear leds give off a blue light, so depending on how bright each led group is, that is what is going to give you your K color. It seems like Lux would benefit from using some type of diffuser to mix the colors better and not have sharp blue at certain points of the ring.

Anyway, nice review.
yes your correct about the Phosphor coating on the LED's.
__________________

LUX H8 V4 - Color Adjustable Angel Eyes | LUX H8 V4 Ultimate Review
LUX will be closed from Sept 6th - Sept 21st. We will be unavailable to respond to messages during this time frame
LuxAngelEyes is offline   United_States
0
Reply With Quote
      06-27-2013, 11:32 AM   #31
Aus_M
Private First Class
 
Drives: BMW M3
Join Date: Nov 2012
Location: Sydney

Posts: 110
iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by te37 View Post
That "plasma coating" is phosphor. Those are the leds that give off the pure white light. The clear leds give off a blue light, so depending on how bright each led group is, that is what is going to give you your K color. It seems like Lux would benefit from using some type of diffuser to mix the colors better and not have sharp blue at certain points of the ring.

Anyway, nice review.
I have V4's running at 5200k and i find the blue spots both noticeable and quite annoying. I was actually wondering if i could make a diffuser to fix this and maybe even direct a little less light to the inner ring to even it up.

Is a diffuser something that Lux could produce to fix this up? I would gladly buy more sets for the families other cars if this is the case. Otherwise may swap to V3's.

BTW thank you to Lux for making a very high quality product, the second you pick it up you can tell it is well mad. Service was excellent and they installed and ran perfectly. I dont even get any flickering

I'm hoping a fix for this issue can be found quickly....
Aus_M is offline  
0
Reply With Quote
      07-02-2013, 11:14 AM   #32
LuxAngelEyes
BimmerPost Supporting Vendor

 
LuxAngelEyes's Avatar
 
Drives: 2006 325xi, Sparkling Graphite
Join Date: Jan 2011
Location: New Haven, CT

Posts: 3,080
iTrader: (12)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aus_M View Post
I have V4's running at 5200k and i find the blue spots both noticeable and quite annoying. I was actually wondering if i could make a diffuser to fix this and maybe even direct a little less light to the inner ring to even it up.

Is a diffuser something that Lux could produce to fix this up? I would gladly buy more sets for the families other cars if this is the case. Otherwise may swap to V3's.

BTW thank you to Lux for making a very high quality product, the second you pick it up you can tell it is well mad. Service was excellent and they installed and ran perfectly. I dont even get any flickering

I'm hoping a fix for this issue can be found quickly....
The first few tests we mad with a diffuser made the lights much more dim. We are going to continue to research this.

With our testing we didn't expect that the hot spots would even be noticeable. We originally had an design and the hotspots were much worse. We did find that this was the best option out there.
__________________

LUX H8 V4 - Color Adjustable Angel Eyes | LUX H8 V4 Ultimate Review
LUX will be closed from Sept 6th - Sept 21st. We will be unavailable to respond to messages during this time frame
LuxAngelEyes is offline   United_States
0
Reply With Quote
      07-02-2013, 11:44 AM   #33
JuRuKi
Private First Class
 
Drives: E90 M3
Join Date: Sep 2012
Location: SoCaL

Posts: 112
iTrader: (1)

i have mine at 5.2k and i find blue spots too...
Gonna change it to 5k and hopefully there wont be any blue
JuRuKi is offline  
0
Reply With Quote
      07-05-2013, 10:21 PM   #34
BLACKIMPACT
First Lieutenant
 
Drives: e92
Join Date: Mar 2008
Location: NJ

Posts: 331
iTrader: (6)

Stay away from the v4s. Grab a set of used v3s and call it a day. I have v4s and they're over rated.
BLACKIMPACT is offline  
0
Reply With Quote
      07-06-2013, 02:00 AM   #35
rjd598
Brigadier General
 
rjd598's Avatar
 
Drives: 10' M3
Join Date: Jan 2009
Location: San Diego,CA

Posts: 4,562
iTrader: (2)

Garage List
2010 BMW M3  [4.50]
1999 BMW M3  [0.00]
Everyone's gotta complain about something all the time lol when's the v5 coming out
__________________
rjd598 is offline   United_States
0
Reply With Quote
      07-06-2013, 06:48 AM   #36
N1COM3
Private First Class
 
Drives: LMB E92
Join Date: Sep 2012
Location: Hampton Roads, VA

Posts: 107
iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by BLACKIMPACT View Post
Stay away from the v4s. Grab a set of used v3s and call it a day. I have v4s and they're over rated.
Lol, I see what you did there.

Anyways, I'm glad I stuck with V3. I'm happy with it anyways.
N1COM3 is offline   United_States
0
Reply With Quote
      07-06-2013, 06:59 AM   #37
BLACKIMPACT
First Lieutenant
 
Drives: e92
Join Date: Mar 2008
Location: NJ

Posts: 331
iTrader: (6)

Let me be clear, LUX has a great product and the quality is great. The $ difference between the two isn't worth it IMO. You can get a great deal on the forum from members selling used v3s.
BLACKIMPACT is offline  
0
Reply With Quote
      07-06-2013, 05:05 PM   #38
MWM3
Banned
 
Drives: 2012 E92 M3
Join Date: Jun 2009
Location: SoCal

Posts: 208
iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by BLACKIMPACT
Let me be clear, LUX has a great product and the quality is great. The $ difference between the two isn't worth it IMO. You can get a great deal on the forum from members selling used v3s.
Exactly what i opted to do - just installed a set of used v3s and they looks great.
MWM3 is offline  
0
Reply With Quote
      07-06-2013, 06:45 PM   #39
aussiem3
Lieutenant Colonel
 
aussiem3's Avatar
 
Drives: Goggomobil
Join Date: Jul 2007
Location: Kangaroo land

Posts: 1,566
iTrader: (1)

Garage List
2014 BMW X5 30d  [0.00]
2007 E92 M3  [0.00]
I don't know whether going between settings is causing the blue. I would rather have one setting - bright and close to OEM - put the bloody thing and forget about it. I think the settings feature is a real waste of time. I have Lux v3 and just like blue hot spots there are spots where the white doesn't come out. I have seen when driving and reflections off the bumper of the front car, and you can see the uneven spread. I know the design of the tubing for these lights are also a contributing factor. I wish that someone comes out with a real bright solution to make all ///3 owners happy. I think it's kind of hit and miss at the moment.

C'mon Lux, you can do this. I look forward to bright Angel Eyes
__________________

2007 E92 6MT - Silverstone II with /// Performance Exhaust with ACM Test Pipes and BPM Sport Stage II Dev-Tune - Proper engine warm up, 12-monthly oil change, Castrol TWS 10w-60
2014 F15 X5 3.0d
aussiem3 is offline   Australia
0
Reply With Quote
      07-06-2013, 09:19 PM   #40
TexasSpartan
First Lieutenant
 
TexasSpartan's Avatar
 
Drives: 2011 E92 M3
Join Date: Feb 2013
Location: Katy, TX

Posts: 345
iTrader: (0)

Installed mine this afternoon and played around with the settings and ended up at 5200k with no blue that I've been able to discern so far. They look sharp!
__________________
TexasSpartan is offline  
0
Reply With Quote
      07-14-2013, 10:47 AM   #41
LuxAngelEyes
BimmerPost Supporting Vendor

 
LuxAngelEyes's Avatar
 
Drives: 2006 325xi, Sparkling Graphite
Join Date: Jan 2011
Location: New Haven, CT

Posts: 3,080
iTrader: (12)

Quote:
Originally Posted by TexasSpartan View Post
Installed mine this afternoon and played around with the settings and ended up at 5200k with no blue that I've been able to discern so far. They look sharp!
Awesome to hear. Thanks for the great feedback on these!
__________________

LUX H8 V4 - Color Adjustable Angel Eyes | LUX H8 V4 Ultimate Review
LUX will be closed from Sept 6th - Sept 21st. We will be unavailable to respond to messages during this time frame
LuxAngelEyes is offline   United_States
0
Reply With Quote
      08-01-2013, 07:20 PM   #42
DaytonaBMW
Enlisted Member
 
Drives: E92 328i Coupe
Join Date: Aug 2013
Location: Florida

Posts: 33
iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by r3zon8 View Post
Everyone's comments seem to pose the same question, and given my observations so far I think this is a valid question for Lux.:

If the blue LEDs in the v4 module were switched for white LEDs, what would be the result?

I'm assuming these modules must be engineered around a target thermal envelope. How much load can you pull from the factory harness? How much current can the electronics in the v4 unit output? All questions that (and this is all speculation) would dictate if you could make the LED module with ONLY white LEDs and then light them all at the same time at full power.

My personal taste is ALL white, as bright as safely and RELIABLY as possible.
hey, that's the best review i ever saw about the Lux H8 V4.
Well i made an order yesterday also, and i can't wait for it.

Last edited by DaytonaBMW; 08-03-2013 at 04:32 PM.
DaytonaBMW is offline   United_States
0
Reply With Quote
Post Reply

Bookmarks

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Forum Jump


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 03:09 AM.




m3post
Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.7.0
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
1Addicts.com, BIMMERPOST.com, E90Post.com, F30Post.com, M3Post.com, ZPost.com, 5Post.com, 6Post.com, 7Post.com, XBimmers.com logo and trademark are properties of BIMMERPOST