BMW M3 Forum (E90 E92)

BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read


Go Back   M3Post - BMW M3 Forum > M3 (E90 / E92 / E93) > General M3 Forum (E90 + E92 + E93)
 
Closed Thread
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
      06-05-2013, 08:22 AM   #67
VMcV3y
Captain
 
VMcV3y's Avatar
 
Drives: 2012 M3 Cabriolet
Join Date: Feb 2012
Location: Houston, Texas

Posts: 919
iTrader: (0)

Garage List
Thumbs up

Wow. As others said, it's a track enthusiasts' reason, finally, for BMW Apps! Yay!

Hey, Jason, a question, please:

I bought the snap-in Media Adapter when I had an iPhone 4s. Now I've got the iPhone 5. But just looked again on-line at ShopBMWUSA.com and still, do not see an iPhone 5 snap-in.

I don't really want my iPhone 5 flying around the passenger seat. Do you know if an iPhone 5 snap-in is in the plans, or should we think of another option? Or, how about blue-tooth for the Apps? The technology is already there. (or, pushing the edge, a faster 802.11n WiFi bridge?)

Thanks.


- V

.
__________________
2012 ///M3 Cabriolet; Le Mans Blue Metallic.

. . . .Munich . . . >. . . .Houston

When one wants a cabriolet, is there really any other choice than an M3? No. No, there's not.
VMcV3y is offline   United_States
0
      06-05-2013, 08:34 AM   #68
jphughan
Brigadier General
 
jphughan's Avatar
 
Drives: 2011.75 M3 E92 6MT
Join Date: Mar 2011
Location: Austin, TX

Posts: 3,305
iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by VMcV3y View Post
I bought the snap-in Media Adapter when I had an iPhone 4s. Now I've got the iPhone 5. But just looked again on-line at ShopBMWUSA.com and still, do not see an iPhone 5 snap-in.

I don't really want my iPhone 5 flying around the passenger seat. Do you know if an iPhone 5 snap-in is in the plans, or should we think of another option? Or, how about blue-tooth for the Apps? The technology is already there. (or, pushing the edge, a faster 802.11n WiFi bridge?)
Apps doesn't work over Bluetooth, probably because the Bluetooth software profiles required to support that kind of functionality either don't exist or aren't supported by iOS and/or iDrive. But the iPhone 5 will fit inside the center console just fine when connected with a regular USB cable. You can either lay it on top of your existing cradle (or make more room by removing the old cradle if you don't need it anymore), or if you angle it just right, you can put the iPhone 5 upside-down into the pocket beside the cradle mount area and you can still close the console without crimping the Lightning connector. I do both all the time and can even leave my iSkin Solo case on.
__________________
11 M3 E92 Le Mans | Black Nov w/ Alum | 6MT | Premium 2 | Convenience | 19" | EDC | Prem Audio | Moonroof | BMW Apps | Vorshlag Adjustable Camber Plates | StopTech ST-60 380mm BBK | Castrol SRF Fluid | ModMyNav.com rear camera | OEM Euro Sunglasses Holder
jphughan is offline   United_States
0
      06-05-2013, 08:51 AM   #69
VMcV3y
Captain
 
VMcV3y's Avatar
 
Drives: 2012 M3 Cabriolet
Join Date: Feb 2012
Location: Houston, Texas

Posts: 919
iTrader: (0)

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by jphughan View Post
Apps doesn't work over Bluetooth, probably because the Bluetooth software profiles required to support that kind of functionality either don't exist or aren't supported by iOS and/or iDrive.
Forgot about that, probably right.


Quote:
Originally Posted by jphughan View Post
But the iPhone 5 will fit inside the center console just fine when connected with a regular USB cable. You can either lay it on top of your existing cradle (or make more room by removing the old cradle if you don't need it anymore), or if you angle it just right, you can put the iPhone 5 upside-down into the pocket beside the cradle mount area and you can still close the console without crimping the Lightning connector. I do both all the time and can even leave my iSkin Solo case on.

Yeah, true, and I've done that a few times, and have two different windshield mounts as well; but would prefer to, oh, you know, snap it in securely to an existing mechanism that's just waiting for an upgraded piece of plastic to hold the phone.


- V

.
__________________
2012 ///M3 Cabriolet; Le Mans Blue Metallic.

. . . .Munich . . . >. . . .Houston

When one wants a cabriolet, is there really any other choice than an M3? No. No, there's not.
VMcV3y is offline   United_States
0
      06-05-2013, 09:16 AM   #70
Jason
Administrator
 
Jason's Avatar
 
Drives: E90 M3
Join Date: Mar 2005
Location: USA

Posts: 16,487
iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by VMcV3y View Post
Wow. As others said, it's a track enthusiasts' reason, finally, for BMW Apps! Yay!

Hey, Jason, a question, please:

I bought the snap-in Media Adapter when I had an iPhone 4s. Now I've got the iPhone 5. But just looked again on-line at ShopBMWUSA.com and still, do not see an iPhone 5 snap-in.

I don't really want my iPhone 5 flying around the passenger seat. Do you know if an iPhone 5 snap-in is in the plans, or should we think of another option? Or, how about blue-tooth for the Apps? The technology is already there. (or, pushing the edge, a faster 802.11n WiFi bridge?)

Thanks.


- V

.

The iPhone 5 snap-in adapter is actually already available in Europe. We previously posted its details here: http://www.f30post.com/forums/showthread.php?t=814703

It's not officially available in the U.S. yet, but will be soon. One of our members on M5POST even ordered a bunch to sell to fellow members, so you may find some for sale in the classifieds or perhaps on ebay (if you can't wait to get it from U.S. dealers once it's officially available).
__________________
Check on the Latest BMW News
Become a fan of Bimmerpost Facebook
Follow us on Bimmerpost Twitter
Subscribe to Bimmerpost Youtube Channel

Jason is offline   United_States
0
      06-05-2013, 10:05 AM   #71
vzm3
Member
 
vzm3's Avatar
 
Drives: 2011 E90 M3
Join Date: Sep 2011
Location: Miami

Posts: 237
iTrader: (1)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Accelerometer View Post
Wow, this in itself makes BMW Apps a must have option. Simply awesome.
FINALLY, the time has come!!! I no longer feel that I wasted my money getting the BMW APPS option
vzm3 is offline   United_States
0
      06-05-2013, 10:23 AM   #72
D_o_S
LCI'd
 
Drives: 335i LCI
Join Date: Feb 2008
Location: Home

Posts: 808
iTrader: (1)

Please, tell them to make it communicate with external GPS... the 1 Hz refresh rate in phones makes this useless (maybe the iPhone has 2 Hz, but I dont think it has 10 Hz?)
D_o_S is offline  
0
      06-05-2013, 10:24 AM   #73
Reno
Private First Class
 
Drives: e92 M3
Join Date: Aug 2008
Location: Bay Area, CA

Posts: 147
iTrader: (2)

I got to play with an early release a couple of months back and it was pretty cool. The version I saw DID display g force or lap times etc on the dash, but there was also an option to blank the screen with the ///M logo so it is less distracting. Not sure what the final release looks like, but hopefully it is still an option.
Reno is offline  
0
      06-05-2013, 10:27 AM   #74
Reno
Private First Class
 
Drives: e92 M3
Join Date: Aug 2008
Location: Bay Area, CA

Posts: 147
iTrader: (2)

Quote:
Originally Posted by D_o_S
Please, tell them to make it communicate with external GPS... the 1 Hz refresh rate in phones makes this useless (maybe the iPhone has 2 Hz, but I dont think it has 10 Hz?)
It uses internal vehicle sensors and not the iPhone.
Reno is offline  
0
      06-05-2013, 10:56 AM   #75
03BeastCharmer
Major
 
03BeastCharmer's Avatar
 
Drives: 03 M5, '13 & 97 M3
Join Date: Oct 2007
Location: Houston

Posts: 1,410
iTrader: (2)

I know it uses the car sensors for throttle, brake and steering, but are we sure it uses the cars GPS signal? Is the car's GPS better or worse than the phones? If it's using the phone's you would want to mount the phone on the windshield for better line of sight for the signal, but that would mean a cord running into the center console.
__________________

Current: '13 E92 M3 Euro Delivery
Wife's: E39 M5, E36 M3
Gone: E86 M Coupe; E30 M3
03BeastCharmer is offline  
0
      06-05-2013, 11:08 AM   #76
b33g33
Give '///M' Hell!
 
b33g33's Avatar
 
Drives: Einser Rex
Join Date: Jun 2011
Location: Atlanta, GA

Posts: 1,305
iTrader: (0)

This is pretty sweet.

I spent way too much time arguing with some of my fellow 1M owners about the cost/benefit of saving a few thousand bucks and a few pounds by eschewing Nav and BMW Apps. One of my main arguments was that BMW Apps was going to become a lot more than just something for streaming Pandora.

It's good to be right occasionally.
__________________
The 1 series M is the most badass, coolest, sickest BMW to debut since the 1988 M3. The E30 M3 finally has a successor. Please welcome the stupidly fast, wickedly tempered, awkwardly named, possibly perfect little son of a benchmark - Automobile Magazine, August 2011

b33g33 is offline   United_States
0
      06-05-2013, 11:08 AM   #77
mdosu
Banned
 
Drives: Double Vanos'd Civic-M3
Join Date: Oct 2009
Location: San Francisco

Posts: 8,517
iTrader: (6)

problem for me is, I want this, but I have a CCC, for me to retrofit all this will cost me a cool $3k, not worth it to me at this point, I can spend $3k on mods and I rarely use the navigation to realize the benefits of CIC, mostly I use it to check real time traffic and sometimes i actually use it for turn by turn directions.
mdosu is offline   No_Country
0
      06-05-2013, 11:09 AM   #78
mdosu
Banned
 
Drives: Double Vanos'd Civic-M3
Join Date: Oct 2009
Location: San Francisco

Posts: 8,517
iTrader: (6)

Quote:
Originally Posted by b33g33 View Post
This is pretty sweet.

I spent way too much time arguing with some of my fellow 1M owners about the cost/benefit of saving a few thousand bucks and a few pounds by eschewing Nav and BMW Apps. One of my main arguments was that BMW Apps was going to become a lot more than just something for streaming Pandora.

It's good to be right occasionally.
how much was navi option on the 1M? I noticed the majority of owners opted out of the navigation option. In the old days, navigation was a standalone option on the M3, now it's a sizable price b/c they roll it in with a bunch of other "commonly selected" options.
mdosu is offline   No_Country
0
      06-05-2013, 11:14 AM   #79
b33g33
Give '///M' Hell!
 
b33g33's Avatar
 
Drives: Einser Rex
Join Date: Jun 2011
Location: Atlanta, GA

Posts: 1,305
iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by mdosu View Post
how much was navi option on the 1M? I noticed the majority of owners opted out of the navigation option. In the old days, navigation was a standalone option on the M3, now it's a sizable price b/c they roll it in with a bunch of other "commonly selected" options.
I'll have to go and look up the sales invoice to be sure but I think Nav + Apps was around $1800 (don't quote me on that).

Mine is loaded except for Satellite Radio.
__________________
The 1 series M is the most badass, coolest, sickest BMW to debut since the 1988 M3. The E30 M3 finally has a successor. Please welcome the stupidly fast, wickedly tempered, awkwardly named, possibly perfect little son of a benchmark - Automobile Magazine, August 2011

b33g33 is offline   United_States
0
      06-05-2013, 11:36 AM   #80
Za135i
New Member
 
Drives: 135i
Join Date: May 2012
Location: South Africa

Posts: 18
iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by jphughan
Quote:
Originally Posted by Za135i
This is really awesome just don't understand that they make an app like this then when you track your car, they cancel your motorplan/warranty
^ What the guy who quoted you above me said. They don't cover track-level wear and tear under Ultimate Service, but your warranty is fine.
That's awesome for you guys..

Here in south Africa, they will cancel your motorplan. The plan here is 5 years/ 100k Kms, think you guys are a bit less, assuming you in the states.
Za135i is offline  
0
      06-05-2013, 12:10 PM   #81
jphughan
Brigadier General
 
jphughan's Avatar
 
Drives: 2011.75 M3 E92 6MT
Join Date: Mar 2011
Location: Austin, TX

Posts: 3,305
iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Za135i View Post
That's awesome for you guys..

Here in south Africa, they will cancel your motorplan. The plan here is 5 years/ 100k Kms, think you guys are a bit less, assuming you in the states.
It's 4 years / 50K miles for the warranty -- but wow, they void it if you take these cars to the track, even for instructor-guided HPDEs? And even M cars?! Seems to defeat the point of owning cars like this, not to mention fly completely in the face of BMW's M3 marketing slogans like "Racecars shouldn't be confined to racetracks."
__________________
11 M3 E92 Le Mans | Black Nov w/ Alum | 6MT | Premium 2 | Convenience | 19" | EDC | Prem Audio | Moonroof | BMW Apps | Vorshlag Adjustable Camber Plates | StopTech ST-60 380mm BBK | Castrol SRF Fluid | ModMyNav.com rear camera | OEM Euro Sunglasses Holder
jphughan is offline   United_States
0
      06-05-2013, 12:16 PM   #82
chong0
Second Lieutenant
 
Drives: '13 M5 Space Gray/Sakhir
Join Date: Apr 2012
Location: MA

Posts: 229
iTrader: (0)

simple question-

how do you know if your car has BMW apps? i'm using a droid so haven't paid attention, but this app looks fantastic and may need to borrow the wife's iphone on spirited drives...
__________________

--------
'13 M5
'12 Cayenne 6MT
'09 328xiT 6MT
chong0 is online now  
0
      06-05-2013, 01:33 PM   #83
VMcV3y
Captain
 
VMcV3y's Avatar
 
Drives: 2012 M3 Cabriolet
Join Date: Feb 2012
Location: Houston, Texas

Posts: 919
iTrader: (0)

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by chong0 View Post
simple question-

how do you know if your car has BMW apps? i'm using a droid so haven't paid attention, but this app looks fantastic and may need to borrow the wife's iphone on spirited drives...
Plug an iPhone via cable to your car's USB port, run any app made for BMW Apps (BMW Connected or Stitcher or Aupeo) and then on iDrive, select "Connected Drive" and scroll down to see if anything appears under "BMW Apps" If, say, "Aupeo" is there, then you've got it. If not, then you don't.

- V


.
__________________
2012 ///M3 Cabriolet; Le Mans Blue Metallic.

. . . .Munich . . . >. . . .Houston

When one wants a cabriolet, is there really any other choice than an M3? No. No, there's not.
VMcV3y is offline   United_States
0
      06-05-2013, 03:51 PM   #84
-cj-
First Lieutenant
 
Drives: 2011 AW 1M | 2009 Red M3 DCT
Join Date: Dec 2011
Location: Toronto

Posts: 374
iTrader: (2)

THANK YOU BMW. This is awesome.

I wish they didn't stop short of displaying lap times on the iDrive screen though! Future update, please??
-cj- is offline   Canada
0
      06-06-2013, 04:49 PM   #85
AlpWhite11
Captain
 
Drives: 335i
Join Date: Apr 2009
Location: Irvine

Posts: 695
iTrader: (0)

Send a message via Yahoo to AlpWhite11
Quote:
Originally Posted by -cj-
THANK YOU BMW. This is awesome.

I wish they didn't stop short of displaying lap times on the iDrive screen though! Future update, please??
Would really be distracting. But M5 competition package will already have a G Force meter on its screen so maybe we'll see what you want happen.
AlpWhite11 is offline   United_States
0
      06-06-2013, 08:09 PM   #86
adc
Brigadier General
 
Drives: 2009 E90 M3 ED
Join Date: Sep 2006
Location: MD/DC

Posts: 4,113
iTrader: (6)

Oh wow, this is amazing.

The only time I wish I had ordered nav and apps. I guess my next M car will have it.
__________________

2009 E90 M3 ED
2014 X1 28i ED
adc is offline  
0
      06-20-2013, 01:12 PM   #87
VMcV3y
Captain
 
VMcV3y's Avatar
 
Drives: 2012 M3 Cabriolet
Join Date: Feb 2012
Location: Houston, Texas

Posts: 919
iTrader: (0)

Garage List
It is 94 degrees F in Houston right now -- that's "summer."

Where's the darn app?


- V

.
__________________
2012 ///M3 Cabriolet; Le Mans Blue Metallic.

. . . .Munich . . . >. . . .Houston

When one wants a cabriolet, is there really any other choice than an M3? No. No, there's not.
VMcV3y is offline   United_States
0
      06-20-2013, 01:21 PM   #88
davesaddiction
is fast cars
 
davesaddiction's Avatar
 
Drives: '08 E90 M3 6MT SSII BPM Stg II
Join Date: May 2012
Location: Tulsa

Posts: 1,520
iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by VMcV3y View Post
It is 94 degrees F in Houston right now -- that's "summer."
And it's only June. 105 degrees and 99% humidity are coming...
davesaddiction is offline   United_States
0
Closed Thread

Bookmarks

Tags
bmw android app, bmw app, bmw apps, bmw ios app, bmw iphone app, bmw iphone apps, bmw m power app, bmw m power app demo, bmw m power apps, bmw m power demo, bmw m power ios app, bmw m power video app, bmw mpower app, bmw power app, m power app, mpower app

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Forum Jump


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 09:14 PM.




m3post
Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.7.0
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
1Addicts.com, BIMMERPOST.com, E90Post.com, F30Post.com, M3Post.com, ZPost.com, 5Post.com, 6Post.com, 7Post.com, XBimmers.com logo and trademark are properties of BIMMERPOST