BMW M3 Forum (E90 E92)

BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read


Go Back   M3Post - BMW M3 Forum > M3 (E90 / E92 / E93) > General M3 Forum (E90 + E92 + E93)
 
BPM Sport
Post Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
      10-02-2013, 07:48 PM   #1
TexasSpartan
First Lieutenant
TexasSpartan's Avatar
5
Rep
364
Posts

 
Drives: 2011 E92 M3
Join Date: Feb 2013
Location: Katy, TX

iTrader: (0)

BMW replacing my exhaust

BIMMERPOST
     Featured on BIMMERPOST.com
So took my '11 E92 in for a whine noise coming from the rear around 2k rpm and under load. They called this afternoon telling me they were replacing the entire exhaust. Not sure how the noise would/could be coming from the exhaust but we'll see. They said it would take about a week to get in. Where are they ordering it from?
__________________
Appreciate 0
      10-02-2013, 08:00 PM   #2
rantarM3
First Lieutenant
3
Rep
317
Posts

 
Drives: E90 M3
Join Date: Aug 2011
Location: Florida

iTrader: (1)

Typical dealer troubleshooting - replace first, and investigate later. Such a waste of $$.
Did you hear the whine at all times, when at a stop, or when moving? Did it seem to change pitch with road or engine speed?
Appreciate 0
      10-02-2013, 08:02 PM   #3
Alex_bm
Captain
Canada
9
Rep
806
Posts

 
Drives: M3
Join Date: Oct 2006
Location: Canada, Toronto

iTrader: (1)

Quote:
Originally Posted by TexasSpartan
So took my '11 E92 in for a whine noise coming from the rear around 2k rpm and under load. They called this afternoon telling me they were replacing the entire exhaust. Not sure how the noise would/could be coming from the exhaust but we'll see. They said it would take about a week to get in. Where are they ordering it from?
How loud is the noise? Can you hear it with windows shut?
Appreciate 0
      10-02-2013, 08:03 PM   #4
F1Venom
Captain
26
Rep
902
Posts

 
Drives: ZCP E90 M3
Join Date: Apr 2013
Location: USA

iTrader: (0)

Ask if they can put in the MPE if you pay the difference, lol.
Appreciate 0
      10-02-2013, 08:08 PM   #5
TexasSpartan
First Lieutenant
TexasSpartan's Avatar
5
Rep
364
Posts

 
Drives: 2011 E92 M3
Join Date: Feb 2013
Location: Katy, TX

iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by rantarM3 View Post
Typical dealer troubleshooting - replace first, and investigate later. Such a waste of $$.
Did you hear the whine at all times, when at a stop, or when moving? Did it seem to change pitch with road or engine speed?
No, only heard it at low rpm's, around 2-3k. Do not hear at stop or in park. Yes it did change pitch with rpm.
__________________
Appreciate 0
      10-02-2013, 08:10 PM   #6
TexasSpartan
First Lieutenant
TexasSpartan's Avatar
5
Rep
364
Posts

 
Drives: 2011 E92 M3
Join Date: Feb 2013
Location: Katy, TX

iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alex_bm View Post
How loud is the noise? Can you hear it with windows shut?
It's not too terribly loud. The only reason I heard it was going up our parking ramp at work. Garage in semi-enclosed so can hear most noises. In hte garage I can hear it with the windows closed but out in the open I cannot.
__________________
Appreciate 0
      10-02-2013, 10:21 PM   #7
Wah
Red Hot Riplet
Wah's Avatar
United_States
32
Rep
1,771
Posts

 
Drives: '15 F82 M4
Join Date: Jul 2009
Location: NJ

iTrader: (2)

Quote:
Originally Posted by F1Venom View Post
Ask if they can put in the MPE if you pay the difference, lol.
This! Do it!!!
Appreciate 0
      10-03-2013, 07:34 AM   #8
i001947
Captain
i001947's Avatar
12
Rep
683
Posts

 
Drives: '13 E92 M3
Join Date: Jan 2013
Location: US

iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by TexasSpartan View Post
It's not too terribly loud. The only reason I heard it was going up our parking ramp at work. Garage in semi-enclosed so can hear most noises. In hte garage I can hear it with the windows closed but out in the open I cannot.
What was BMW reason for the noise to justify replacing the exhaust system?

And what's the estimate?
Appreciate 0
      10-03-2013, 10:19 AM   #9
TexasSpartan
First Lieutenant
TexasSpartan's Avatar
5
Rep
364
Posts

 
Drives: 2011 E92 M3
Join Date: Feb 2013
Location: Katy, TX

iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by i001947 View Post
What was BMW reason for the noise to justify replacing the exhaust system?

And what's the estimate?
My SA said he was just going off what the lead tech had told him. Car is still under warranty so no cost to me.
__________________

Last edited by TexasSpartan; 10-03-2013 at 01:53 PM.
Appreciate 0
      10-03-2013, 10:56 AM   #10
ERinEC
Private First Class
3
Rep
170
Posts

 
Drives: '11 AW E92 M3
Join Date: May 2012
Location: MD

iTrader: (0)

I just had my exhaust replaced under warranty as well. Last weekend I was hearing what sounded like a tin can being kicked from the rear of the car. It was only heard when pulling away from a stop or going in reverse.
Anyway, the SA reported an issue with the baffle, so the whole thing was replaced.
Appreciate 0
      10-03-2013, 11:06 AM   #11
i001947
Captain
i001947's Avatar
12
Rep
683
Posts

 
Drives: '13 E92 M3
Join Date: Jan 2013
Location: US

iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by TexasSpartan View Post
My SA said he was just going off what the lead tech had told him. Car is still under warranty so not cost to me.
Nice to hear BMW is picking up the tab
Appreciate 0
      10-03-2013, 12:27 PM   #12
shaq diesel
Lieutenant
United_States
4
Rep
490
Posts

 
Drives: 2011.75 Alpine White E90 M3
Join Date: Feb 2011
Location: Baton Rouge

iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by TexasSpartan View Post
So took my '11 E92 in for a whine noise coming from the rear around 2k rpm and under load. They called this afternoon telling me they were replacing the entire exhaust. Not sure how the noise would/could be coming from the exhaust but we'll see. They said it would take about a week to get in. Where are they ordering it from?
It's not unheard of for a bracket or something internal in the exhaust to break and cause a velocity-based noise. I had something similar happen on my old E36 (luckily it was just a bolt so it was a quick replacement).
Appreciate 0
      10-03-2013, 01:55 PM   #13
TexasSpartan
First Lieutenant
TexasSpartan's Avatar
5
Rep
364
Posts

 
Drives: 2011 E92 M3
Join Date: Feb 2013
Location: Katy, TX

iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by ERinEC View Post
I just had my exhaust replaced under warranty as well. Last weekend I was hearing what sounded like a tin can being kicked from the rear of the car. It was only heard when pulling away from a stop or going in reverse.
Anyway, the SA reported an issue with the baffle, so the whole thing was replaced.
Did that fix the problem?
__________________
Appreciate 0
      10-03-2013, 01:58 PM   #14
ERinEC
Private First Class
3
Rep
170
Posts

 
Drives: '11 AW E92 M3
Join Date: May 2012
Location: MD

iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by TexasSpartan View Post
Did that fix the problem?
Yes
Appreciate 0
      10-03-2013, 03:47 PM   #15
speedaddictM3
Banned
2
Rep
264
Posts

 
Drives: 2008 E90 M3
Join Date: Sep 2013
Location: Canada

iTrader: (0)

would have been a great opportunity to do the oem exhaust mod
Appreciate 0
Post Reply

Bookmarks

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Forum Jump


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 10:34 PM.




m3post
Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.7.0
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
1Addicts.com, BIMMERPOST.com, E90Post.com, F30Post.com, M3Post.com, ZPost.com, 5Post.com, 6Post.com, 7Post.com, XBimmers.com logo and trademark are properties of BIMMERPOST