BMW M3 Forum (E90 E92)

BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read


Go Back   M3Post - BMW M3 Forum > E90/E92 M3 Technical Topics > Engine, Transmission, Exhaust, Drivetrain, ECU Software Modifications
 
Steve Thomas BMW
Post Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
      06-02-2013, 03:05 PM   #23
Nordstat
Lieutenant
United_States
14

 
Drives: e90 M3 DCT
Join Date: Dec 2012
Location: Los Angeles


Posts: 483
iTrader: (0)

Still interested in the car! Miles, causes for failure, etc! Turned into an s85 thread...
__________________
2010 e90 M3 =
Appreciate 0
      06-02-2013, 04:28 PM   #24
Ezio
Colonel
United_States
44

 
Ezio's Avatar
 
Drives: 2013 E92 M3
Join Date: Nov 2012
Location: MI


Posts: 2,902
iTrader: (0)

That V10 sounds amazing and has a nice power bump.
Appreciate 0
      06-02-2013, 07:44 PM   #25
ibmike
What the Hell ?
United_States
32

 
ibmike's Avatar
 
Drives: 2011 M3 e92 DCT
Join Date: May 2013
Location: Michigan


Posts: 1,518
iTrader: (6)

Here, just do an S65 with this kit you can make it almost a 4.7L V8, youll whoop the V10's with your 550hp, 440tq V8 screamn to 8500rpm and should be cheaper then all that custom work.
http://www.ebay.com/itm/180879812306...84.m1423.l2649
__________________
Life's a Bitch,Just make sure that Bitch is Beautiful.
Appreciate 0
      06-02-2013, 09:07 PM   #26
Vic311
Banned
United_States
21

 
Drives: 2011 e92 M3
Join Date: Dec 2012
Location: NY


Posts: 1,469
iTrader: (0)

^Agreed, a stroked out s65 is better than the s85. Powerful and much lighter.
Appreciate 0
      06-02-2013, 09:43 PM   #27
S65
Private
1

 
Drives: E92 m3
Join Date: Mar 2013
Location: Valencia


Posts: 74
iTrader: (0)

is there a stroker for a s85? that would be insane.
Appreciate 0
      06-02-2013, 10:01 PM   #28
Majin Buu
Banned
7

 
Drives: M3
Join Date: Apr 2013
Location: Canada


Posts: 324
iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sti2e92sedan View Post
Ok so im to the point where my engine on my e90 blew. OIL PUMP failure and fused my crankshaft and block together. Now im deciding whether to get another s65 engine or pay some more for the s85 v10 swap.

To your knowledge, what parts would I need to do the swap other than engine?

Would it work with my manual 6speed?

Thank you drivers!
What happened to the engine? Did it run low on oil? What caused the failure? Also, why don't you just get rid of the car and buy a replacement vehicle? It may be cheaper that way than buying a new S65 which I believe are $25k in addition to the labor cost. As for the V10, it would still be cheaper to get a stroked out or supercharged S65, not to mention you get better performance too. Additionally, the V10 S85 is about 84lb heavier than the V8 so that will make your car even more front heavy and ruin the handling.
Appreciate 0
      06-02-2013, 10:38 PM   #29
redline9001
Captain
Canada
12

 
redline9001's Avatar
 
Drives: E92 M3, MDX, Titan
Join Date: Apr 2011
Location: Calgary, Canada


Posts: 656
iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by S65 View Post
is there a stroker for a s85? that would be insane.
Yes there is...
__________________
2011 E92 M3 | JEREZ BLACK | EXTENDED BAMBOO NOVILLO | EXECUTIVE PKG | M-DRIVE | EDC | M-DCT
MODS | KW S/O | HRE P40SC | Akra Evo |ESS Akra Tune | BMC drop in | StopTech Trophies | TMS Pulley | LUX V3
Appreciate 0
      06-02-2013, 11:24 PM   #30
whats77inaname
Native Texan
United_States
113

 
Drives: when at all possible
Join Date: Aug 2011
Location: Tx


Posts: 1,851
iTrader: (16)

Here's a member selling his S65 for $8k.

http://www.m3post.com/forums/showthread.php?t=846588
Appreciate 0
      06-02-2013, 11:51 PM   #31
Mike Benvo
BimmerPost Supporting Vendor
United_States
130


 
Mike Benvo's Avatar
 
Drives: Harrop SC M3 / E46 M3 / 7Turbo
Join Date: Apr 2008
Location: SoCal


Posts: 4,750
iTrader: (7)

Garage List
2008 BMW M3  [5.00]
1990 BMW 735i Turbo  [5.00]
2004 BMW M3  [0.00]
Send a message via Skype™ to Mike Benvo
I can probably get you a 12K mile S65 for around that.
__________________

-----| Like us on Facebook | Instagram || Tuning Information | Remote Coding |-----
----Visit us at www.BPMSport.com - Emotion. Driven. | Toll Free: (888) 557-5133----
Appreciate 0
      06-03-2013, 12:49 AM   #32
regular guy
Banned
24

 
Drives: Sprint car
Join Date: May 2013
Location: California


Posts: 1,375
iTrader: (0)

S85 swap into E92:

I know it's been done before and the M3 tranny will hook right up. It's the electricals that will be the biggest challenge IMO. For starters, you can't use the MSS60 ECU. You'll need the ECU from the S85. Now that's where the fun begins.

The ECU talks back and forth to the rest of the car on a computer bus called the CAN bus. The S85 ECU talks a slightly different language than the S65 ECU. The computer bus wiring is the same, but the messages are different. You'll need somebody with direct connections at the BMW factory to help pull this off, or you'll need somebody who has intimate knowledge of the data floating down that bus and can design and/or program a piece of hardware to convert from the S65 messages to S85 messages and visa versa. That's what it will take if you want to keep it anything OEM like.

Race teams don't care about anything OEM like. That's why they use stand alone ECU's and aftermarket dashboards. When you don't care about keeping the rest of the car's electronics happy, it doesn't bother you to replace the dashboard and gauges. But if you want to keep it OEM like, then you'll need a bridge between the S85 ECU and the rest of the car -- just to make the rest of the car think it's happy.

I hope that makes sense.
Appreciate 0
      06-03-2013, 12:56 AM   #33
Sti2e92sedan
Private First Class
7

 
Drives: M3 sedan
Join Date: Jun 2012
Location: SoCal


Posts: 110
iTrader: (1)

Quote:
Originally Posted by ///M Power-Belgium View Post
Check this out.....Manhart in Germany v v v
http://www.wheels24.co.za/News/Custo...power-20091019
thats really cool. Been looking at engines, the s85 is about the same used as a s65. Seems that it will bolt up to the e90 6 speed too. If its only labor and about 2k of fabrications and extra parts id do it considering the close prices of both engines.
Appreciate 0
      06-03-2013, 01:02 AM   #34
Sti2e92sedan
Private First Class
7

 
Drives: M3 sedan
Join Date: Jun 2012
Location: SoCal


Posts: 110
iTrader: (1)

Quote:
Originally Posted by ibmike View Post
Here, just do an S65 with this kit you can make it almost a 4.7L V8, youll whoop the V10's with your 550hp, 440tq V8 screamn to 8500rpm and should be cheaper then all that custom work.
http://www.ebay.com/itm/180879812306...84.m1423.l2649
i need an engine to work with first. Im thinking of a swap because the price of a s65 is about the same as s85
Appreciate 0
      06-03-2013, 01:22 AM   #35
Mike Benvo
BimmerPost Supporting Vendor
United_States
130


 
Mike Benvo's Avatar
 
Drives: Harrop SC M3 / E46 M3 / 7Turbo
Join Date: Apr 2008
Location: SoCal


Posts: 4,750
iTrader: (7)

Garage List
2008 BMW M3  [5.00]
1990 BMW 735i Turbo  [5.00]
2004 BMW M3  [0.00]
Send a message via Skype™ to Mike Benvo
Quote:
Originally Posted by regular guy View Post
S85 swap into E92:

I know it's been done before and the M3 tranny will hook right up. It's the electricals that will be the biggest challenge IMO. For starters, you can't use the MSS60 ECU. You'll need the ECU from the S85. Now that's where the fun begins.

The ECU talks back and forth to the rest of the car on a computer bus called the CAN bus. The S85 ECU talks a slightly different language than the S65 ECU. The computer bus wiring is the same, but the messages are different. You'll need somebody with direct connections at the BMW factory to help pull this off, or you'll need somebody who has intimate knowledge of the data floating down that bus and can design and/or program a piece of hardware to convert from the S65 messages to S85 messages and visa versa. That's what it will take if you want to keep it anything OEM like.

Race teams don't care about anything OEM like. That's why they use stand alone ECU's and aftermarket dashboards. When you don't care about keeping the rest of the car's electronics happy, it doesn't bother you to replace the dashboard and gauges. But if you want to keep it OEM like, then you'll need a bridge between the S85 ECU and the rest of the car -- just to make the rest of the car think it's happy.

I hope that makes sense.
Actually, the S65 and S85 DME CAN messages are going to be the same. The MSS60 and MSS65 DME's are both MSS6x family, so their architecture and operation is basically the same. He can keep it OEM like by simply using the CAS module, Key, and DME from an E60 M5 w/ the MSS65 DME. Fooling around to get the MSS60 to run the S85 would be more costly than just doing it the right way. He'll have to do it with a 6SP or put in the SMG transmission, I think getting the MSS65 DME to work with DCT would be a nightmare.
__________________

-----| Like us on Facebook | Instagram || Tuning Information | Remote Coding |-----
----Visit us at www.BPMSport.com - Emotion. Driven. | Toll Free: (888) 557-5133----
Appreciate 0
      06-03-2013, 06:19 AM   #36
Soorena
Captain
No_Country
28

 
Drives: M3 6MT
Join Date: Dec 2011
Location: Paris


Posts: 841
iTrader: (0)

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike Benvo View Post
That's cool that it will bolt up, I thought the bell housings would be different.

The M3 and M5 DME are almost completely identical. You can even put an M5 DME in an M3 and it will power up and communicate. So wiring wise it wouldn't be too bad other than swapping the m5 sensors and adding wires for the addition 2 cylinders.
Yes they have the same bell housing. Cool that the electronics are the same. Wiring up an ECU from scratch is something to i'd do only if i had to. I have wire phoebia! In good old days the only wires you had to deal with were the spark plug wires. Now every god damn component you spot has houndreds of wires.
Appreciate 0
      06-03-2013, 07:26 AM   #37
dmk08
///Maniac
56

 
dmk08's Avatar
 
Drives: 2011 E92 M3
Join Date: Jul 2012
Location: Atlanta


Posts: 3,177
iTrader: (9)

Garage List
2011 BMW M3 E92  [5.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by ibmike View Post
Here, just do an S65 with this kit you can make it almost a 4.7L V8, youll whoop the V10's with your 550hp, 440tq V8 screamn to 8500rpm and should be cheaper then all that custom work.
http://www.ebay.com/itm/180879812306...84.m1423.l2649
I wonder how much labor to do something like this would cost.
Appreciate 0
      06-03-2013, 07:50 AM   #38
robotk
Second Lieutenant
4

 
robotk's Avatar
 
Drives: e90 m3
Join Date: Jan 2013
Location: SE


Posts: 269
iTrader: (1)

The balance of the car will be off with the heavier engine - no doubt. May need a little tuning to resolve that - maybe a square setup? All that said, I would still go s85 over a stroker. It's just too cool an idea.
__________________
1993 e36 325i, 1999 e46 328i, 2005 ap2 s2000, 2007 WRX STi, 2008 g37s coupe, 2009 Audi a4 2.0T Avant
Appreciate 0
      06-03-2013, 07:53 AM   #39
ibmike
What the Hell ?
United_States
32

 
ibmike's Avatar
 
Drives: 2011 M3 e92 DCT
Join Date: May 2013
Location: Michigan


Posts: 1,518
iTrader: (6)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sti2e92sedan View Post
i need an engine to work with first. Im thinking of a swap because the price of a s65 is about the same as s85
V10 would be sweet for sure, i just wonder about the engines extra lenght, i mean with the V8 the engines very close to the front i dont see the extra room needed.
Heres some Cores for yah, check um out=

http://www.ebay.com/itm/E90-E92-E93-...960cb9&vxp=mtr

This ones not to far from you=

http://www.ebay.com/itm/BMW-M3-E90-E...5e62cd&vxp=mtr

Check out this deal i found on a S85 V10, its not far from me, SMOKEN DEAL!!!!!=

http://www.ebay.com/itm/330933170888...84.m1423.l2649
__________________
Life's a Bitch,Just make sure that Bitch is Beautiful.

Last edited by ibmike; 06-03-2013 at 08:02 AM.
Appreciate 0
      06-03-2013, 08:17 AM   #40
ms372
White Shark
Canada
39

 
ms372's Avatar
 
Drives: AW E92 m3 6MT
Join Date: Mar 2012
Location: Montreal


Posts: 911
iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by ibmike View Post
V10 would be sweet for sure, i just wonder about the engines extra lenght, i mean with the V8 the engines very close to the front i dont see the extra room needed.
it doesnt seem to be a problem, Manhart Racing, AC Schnitzer and V-BT Racing all have already a V10 powered e92.
__________________
ESS | Challenge x-pipe | Akrapovic | Stoptech BBK (380/355) |Ohlins R&T | Dinan | Vorsteiner | Downforce USA | Varis Diffuser | Gintani | UUC | BMW Performance | Macht Schnell | Forgestar F14's SDC 19x9.5F 19x11R | 255.35 295.30

Appreciate 0
      06-03-2013, 08:52 AM   #41
epbb
Private First Class
8

 
epbb's Avatar
 
Drives: 2010 M3
Join Date: Mar 2013
Location: SW FL


Posts: 159
iTrader: (5)

S85 Stroker. Problem solved.
Appreciate 0
      06-03-2013, 09:09 AM   #42
robotk
Second Lieutenant
4

 
robotk's Avatar
 
Drives: e90 m3
Join Date: Jan 2013
Location: SE


Posts: 269
iTrader: (1)

Quote:
Originally Posted by epbb View Post
S85 Stroker. Problem solved.
Supercharged stroker s85.

More solved.
__________________
1993 e36 325i, 1999 e46 328i, 2005 ap2 s2000, 2007 WRX STi, 2008 g37s coupe, 2009 Audi a4 2.0T Avant
Appreciate 0
      06-03-2013, 09:15 AM   #43
W///
Major General
94

 
W///'s Avatar
 
Drives: 2008 E92 M3/1999 E36 M3 Coupe
Join Date: Sep 2011
Location: SC


Posts: 5,261
iTrader: (12)

Quote:
Originally Posted by robotk View Post
The balance of the car will be off with the heavier engine - no doubt. May need a little tuning to resolve that - maybe a square setup? All that said, I would still go s85 over a stroker. It's just too cool an idea.
FYI, S85 = 234 kg, vs S65 = 202kg. According to a discussion on M5board (didn't feel like digging around too deep).

Not the end of the world IMO.
__________________
2008 E92 M3: Sparkling Graphite | Bamboo Beige | 6MT | CF Roof | HRE | Catless Eisenmann Race | BPM Sport | Swift | Arkym | Mode Carbon | M.Perf
Appreciate 0
      06-03-2013, 09:32 AM   #44
robotk
Second Lieutenant
4

 
robotk's Avatar
 
Drives: e90 m3
Join Date: Jan 2013
Location: SE


Posts: 269
iTrader: (1)

Quote:
Originally Posted by W/// View Post
FYI, S85 = 234 kg, vs S65 = 202kg. According to a discussion on M5board (didn't feel like digging around too deep).

Not the end of the world IMO.
You could argue a little more understeer might not be a bad thing with a v10 in this car.
__________________
1993 e36 325i, 1999 e46 328i, 2005 ap2 s2000, 2007 WRX STi, 2008 g37s coupe, 2009 Audi a4 2.0T Avant
Appreciate 0
Post Reply

Bookmarks

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Forum Jump


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 06:24 PM.




m3post
Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.7.0
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
1Addicts.com, BIMMERPOST.com, E90Post.com, F30Post.com, M3Post.com, ZPost.com, 5Post.com, 6Post.com, 7Post.com, XBimmers.com logo and trademark are properties of BIMMERPOST