BMW M3 Forum (E90 E92)

BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   M3Post - BMW M3 Forum > E90/E92 M3 Technical Topics > Engine, Transmission, Exhaust, Drivetrain, ECU Software Modifications

ESS Tuning

07-04-2013, 10:26 PM   #45
HEICO

Drives: M3

Dear Scott:
Do you have any update?
Thanks
      07-05-2013, 03:46 AM   #46
CrucialScott
BMX Godfather

Drives: 2010 White E92 M3

Quote:
Dear Scott:
Do you have any update?
Thanks
Yes it is still on going (6 weeks now)! Basically i SHIT OUT OF LUCK like with most things in my life. Its always a struggle.

Turns out my car is an EX-Track car that was supplied by BMW to a company called Palmer Motorsport here in the UK who do track-driving/race teaching etc...I DID NOT KNOW THIS and bought the car from a normal gentleman with no inclination that it had ever been near a track, i did ask.

This explains everything with regards to why its been highly maintained (and why the whole suspension/brakes and interior is like new because it was stripped upgraded for their purpose and then put back to standard after 2 years of going around the track) without the proper BMW stamps, However because the car was used on the track and was maintained by Palmer Motorsport themselves not BMW the warranty is completely and utterly VOID. BMW have told me they want nothing to do with my car and will not warranty anything at all.

I'm building a case at the moment to take with legal advice to try and get something sorted, it could be a waste of effort...Otherwise i'm going to have to pull out £900 for the whole repair myself.

My argument is that it was a BMW supplied track car that they provided and then also took back after two years from this Motorsport company (which they would of inspected). It has since been sold on with no inclination of its past history, no where does it say that it never even touched a public road for two years of its life. I bought it with the understanding that it had warranty.

I guess next time i go to drive it i won't be worrying as much to push it, its done 40K around a track bouncing off the limiter....and there i was worrying about it HAHAHA

This is what my car did for its first 2 year of its life, i'm absolutely gutted:

Last edited by CrucialScott; 07-05-2013 at 03:52 AM.
CrucialScott is offline   England
      07-05-2013, 04:24 AM   #47
CrucialScott
BMX Godfather

Quote:
Wow you are really snookered
Indeed, and to make matter worse this was AFTER BMW in my town had agreed to pay for the parts if i pay for the labour but i said i wasn't happy with this and i want BMW to pay for the whole lot under warranty...

Boy did i shoot myself in the foot, should of taken it up at that point at least it would of only been about half a days labour (around £200-300). Now i'm looking at £1G

All i can do it laugh about it, laugh or cry.
      07-05-2013, 04:39 AM   #48
alpina527
Banned

Drives: 2008 E92 M3 DCT JZB/FR

You do realise the Palmer cars were converted to LPG as well?
alpina527 is offline   United Kingdom
      07-05-2013, 04:47 AM   #49
///M Power-Belgium
Brigadier General

Drives: ///M3-DCT- E92 Silverstone II

Scott,oh man...sorry to hear this,you should consider to sell this car,and looking for another ///M3 E9x,i think prices will drop soon with the arrival of the new generation ///M3-///M4
///M Power-Belgium is offline   Belgium
      07-05-2013, 04:58 AM   #50
CrucialScott
BMX Godfather

Quote:
You do realise the Palmer cars were converted to LPG as well?
Really? Maybe mine wasn't as I've definitely been putting Shell Nitro in it for the last 3 months and its been fine...

LPG can't be converted back to petrol can it? Once its installed thats it....i see no sign of previous fuel systems or anything which looks out of place.

Quote:
Scott,oh man...sorry to hear this,you should consider to sell this car,and looking for another ///M3 E9x,i think prices will drop soon with the arrival of the new generation ///M3-///M4
I was thinking of exactly this, just sale it on to some poor soul just like it was sold to me and not say anything. I'm going to lose money if i do because i paid good money for it. I'd lose more money than what the DCT repair costs at BMW.

However, the car is otherwise mechanically sound other than this little DCT leak that could be sorted at BMW if i just pay the £900 which is a LOT but it isn't the end of the world...i'll probably get over it

Just do i want an ex-track car?

You would NEVER know though, i have my own garage/ramp and i've been over the car many many many times and i would of said its never even been to a track let alone thats what it did for 2 years of its life..They have looked after it.
      07-05-2013, 05:04 AM   #51
///M Power-Belgium
Brigadier General

Drives: ///M3-DCT- E92 Silverstone II

Quote:
Originally Posted by CrucialScott View Post
Really? Maybe mine wasn't as I've definitely been putting Shell Nitro in it for the last 3 months and its been fine...

LPG can't be converted back to petrol can it? Once its installed thats it....i see no sign of previous fuel systems or anything which looks out of place.

I was thinking of exactly this, just sale it on to some poor soul just like it was sold to me and not say anything. I'm going to lose money if i do because i paid good money for it. I'd lose more money than what the DCT repair costs at BMW.

However, the car is otherwise mechanically sound other than this little DCT leak that could be sorted at BMW if i just pay the £900 which is a LOT but it isn't the end of the world...i'll probably get over it

Just do i want an ex-track car?

You would NEVER know though, i have my own garage/ramp and i've been over the car many many many times and i would of said its never even been to a track let alone thats what it did for 2 years of its life..They have looked after it.
Yeah Scott , this is your main question now..do i want an ex-track car ???
I personal..... no way man
///M Power-Belgium is offline   Belgium
      07-05-2013, 08:41 AM   #52
STi_traitor
Banned

Drives: BTG 2014 - 3 Laps

I say you either get the law suit in your favor or just pay for it. It sucks that you have been fooled but this is just a part of life. Not much you can do about it but move forward. My M3 has seen a good bit of track time from the previous owner and myself. I know there are risks to this but you also have to remember that these cars are made for a good beating. Don't beat yourself up over it. You say the rest of the car is sound, get a Oil Analysis to get a good idea of engine health. This should help ease your mind.

By you selling to someone unknowing person makes you no better than them, I believe Karma would catch up to you in the long run. Just keep it, fix it and drive on! Cars are meant to be fixed over time, some sooner then others.

I wish you the best of luck on your law suit and I hope you make a sound decision on what to do with the car. I personally would keep it, just be glad the DCT isn't completely shot!
STi_traitor is offline   No_Country
      07-06-2013, 10:26 AM   #53
ChrisK
Brigadier General

Drives: E92 M3

Quote:
Originally Posted by CBS View Post
Had shipped my 2011 M3 (23K miles with 20+ track days) to iND for some work. While it was there they noticed the DCT was leaking (slightly). They took it to the local Dealership who traced down the leak and at my request replaced the DCT fluid. Warranty.

Sorry, that's all I know for now. I have requested a copy of the Service Work Order and can post more once I receive.
Do you know which local dealership? Patrick or Motorwerks?

2011 E92 M3: AW/BLK • DCT
Europäische Lieferung am 6. August 2010
ChrisK is offline   United_States
      07-06-2013, 06:41 PM   #54
sylonien
Major

WHAT THE F***********CK MATE?!?
Everything else seems fine though on the car mate the interior seems tip top condition as I said many times.

Maybe they did looked after it despite being on a track? and that the m3 is good at taking a beating? Plus its DCT so its unlikely someone would be grinding the gear with bad gear changes?

Are you going to keep it?
      07-07-2013, 07:12 AM   #55
CrucialScott
BMX Godfather

Quote:
Originally Posted by sylonien View Post
WHAT THE F***********CK MATE?!?
Everything else seems fine though on the car mate the interior seems tip top condition as I said many times.

Maybe they did looked after it despite being on a track? and that the m3 is good at taking a beating? Plus its DCT so its unlikely someone would be grinding the gear with bad gear changes?

Are you going to keep it?
I'll fill you in when i see you later today! Trust me its a good thing, warranty is void but i got the history from Palmer Motorsport and its had brand new EVERYTHING less than 5K ago. The interior is out of a 2013 thats why its spot less, they swapped everything over with the new model they get in.....

my car is has basically done 10K because once it was moved on from Palmer after 3 years everything was swapped out for new. It had a brand new DCT gearbox complete with clutches etc about 7K ago and it cost them £12,000...

I've got all the work thats been done - I'm actually over the moon its worked out well and i'm just going to live with the leak or fix it myself when i have time.

The dudes at Palmer were awesome and extremely helpful. I'd recommend then if ever anyone in the UK needs track time!
      07-07-2013, 09:24 AM   #56
W///
Brigadier General

Drives: 2008 E92 M3/1999 E36 M3 Coupe

Quote:
Originally Posted by CrucialScott View Post
I'll fill you in when i see you later today! Trust me its a good thing, warranty is void but i got the history from Palmer Motorsport and its had brand new EVERYTHING less than 5K ago. The interior is out of a 2013 thats why its spot less, they swapped everything over with the new model they get in.....

my car is has basically done 10K because once it was moved on from Palmer after 3 years everything was swapped out for new. It had a brand new DCT gearbox complete with clutches etc about 7K ago and it cost them £12,000...

I've got all the work thats been done - I'm actually over the moon its worked out well and i'm just going to live with the leak or fix it myself when i have time.

The dudes at Palmer were awesome and extremely helpful. I'd recommend then if ever anyone in the UK needs track time!
I had a chance these Palmer M3's. Great group of people.
Hate to pile it on you, but these cars do run on LPG. As for the interior, they strip them when they receive the car, and store the parts away. They are then re-installed. That's how I understood it.

Good luck with everything
      07-07-2013, 08:13 PM   #57
sylonien
Major

Maybe it wasn't too bad after all?
Did you contact Palmer yourself or did BMW provide that to you?
      07-08-2013, 03:22 AM   #58
CrucialScott
BMX Godfather

Quote:
I had a chance these Palmer M3's. Great group of people.
Hate to pile it on you, but these cars do run on LPG. As for the interior, they strip them when they receive the car, and store the parts away. They are then re-installed. That's how I understood it.

Good luck with everything
They did really help, the head mechanic manager spent over three hours on the phone to me Saturday discussing and going over the whole cars history. Exactly what was done, when and at what mileage. He really didn't have to do this at all on a busy saturday, he could of just told me i was on my own! Much appreciation for Palmer and their customer service!

The cars are run on dual fuel - BMW in German actually came out to view the setup as they said it couldn't be done. Once they saw the setup they gave it the green light!

The second fuel system was mounted in place of the rear seats in a specially made carbon box, the throttle bodies were modified however this was all switched over to the new '13 cars and the brand new '13 fuel system along with the throttle bodies etc was put onto my car. He told me exactly the same was done with the interior/suspension/drivetrain/brakes/running gear.

Nothing has been left behind, no way will i ever find bits of the pervious installation and anything that was modified has been swapped back to new or original.

From a '13 car or stored from brand new it doesn't really matter...Its all the same!

Not sure if running LPG could of done damage to the engine internals (which is still original) but she runs beautifully and pulls real hard. Never uses a drop of oil like most do.

Just going to live with it and enjoy the car I'll fix the little DCT leak myself and get an oil analysis done for peace of mind...

Quote:
Maybe it wasn't too bad after all?
Did you contact Palmer yourself or did BMW provide that to you?
I contacted Palmer myself - Obviously BMW told me they supplied the car to them for the track, i googled it and asked for a manager of the cars.

What happened to you yesterday? Missed out on a good night. Crazy-golf with the boys and a little drive in the sun, should of came along.