BMW M3 Forum (E90 E92)

BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read


Go Back   M3Post - BMW M3 Forum > M3 (E90 / E92 / E93) > General M3 Forum (E90 + E92 + E93)
 
Post Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
      09-18-2007, 08:40 PM   #1
swamp2
Lieutenant General
 
swamp2's Avatar
 
Drives: E92 M3
Join Date: Sep 2006
Location: San Diego, CA USA

Posts: 10,201
iTrader: (1)

26 mpg observed

See the South African test here.

They found in "country" driving 9.2 l/100 km which translates to 26 mpg and a range of 419 mi. Not too shabby at all!

BTW, great efficiency converter here: http://www.markporthouse.net/rangie/...onversion.htm#
swamp2 is offline   United_States
0
Reply With Quote
      09-18-2007, 10:28 PM   #2
GregW / Oregon
Commander-In-Chief
 
Drives: 2015 M4 Coupe, 2012 ML350
Join Date: Nov 2005
Location: Lake Oswego, OR

Posts: 7,548
iTrader: (1)

Garage List
Mileage

Quote:
Originally Posted by swamp2 View Post
See the South African test here.

They found in "country" driving 9.2 l/100 km which translates to 26 mpg and a range of 419 mi. Not too shabby at all!

BTW, great efficiency converter here: http://www.markporthouse.net/rangie/...onversion.htm#
As I stated there, City works out to only 14.25 mpg, though. I get about 3 better in my E46 M3 for urban/suburban commuting.
__________________

Greg Lake Oswego, Oregon, USA
2015 M4 Coupe - Silverstone/Sakhir/CF
2012 ML350
GregW / Oregon is offline   United_States
0
Reply With Quote
      09-18-2007, 11:17 PM   #3
JEllis
Brigadier General
 
JEllis's Avatar
 
Drives: E36 M3, E92 M3
Join Date: Oct 2006
Location: SD CA/Yuma

Posts: 4,680
iTrader: (4)

Thats actually a little better than I get in my E36 with the way I drive...

I am not surprised... I was surprised that so many got taken in by the 12mpg...

Jason
__________________
http://www.m3post.com/forums/signaturepics/sigpic14547_7.gif
JEllis is offline  
0
Reply With Quote
      09-19-2007, 01:20 AM   #4
swamp2
Lieutenant General
 
swamp2's Avatar
 
Drives: E92 M3
Join Date: Sep 2006
Location: San Diego, CA USA

Posts: 10,201
iTrader: (1)

8%

Quote:
Originally Posted by GregW / Oregon View Post
As I stated there, City works out to only 14.25 mpg, though. I get about 3 better in my E46 M3 for urban/suburban commuting.
It will be interesting to see exactly what BMW means by 8% (was that the exact quote) better fuel efficiency.
swamp2 is offline   United_States
0
Reply With Quote
      09-19-2007, 02:35 AM   #5
esquire
Colonel
 
esquire's Avatar
 
Drives: 2011.5 Dakar Yellow M3 Coupe
Join Date: Feb 2007
Location: Orange County, California

Posts: 2,800
iTrader: (0)

the problem with this statistic is that it comes from the same magazine that gives the M3 0-100 km/h in the mid 5 seconds.

as far as i'm concerned any statistic of significance coming out of this article is completely impeached.

- esquire
__________________

[ESS VT2-625] [Akrapovic Evolution Exhaust] [KW Clubsports] [OSS Angel Eyes] [Revinora r-CRT Lip]
[Vorsteiner Boot] [Challenge Race Diffuser] [See the Build Thread HERE]
esquire is offline   United_States
0
Reply With Quote
      09-19-2007, 03:11 AM   #6
JEllis
Brigadier General
 
JEllis's Avatar
 
Drives: E36 M3, E92 M3
Join Date: Oct 2006
Location: SD CA/Yuma

Posts: 4,680
iTrader: (4)

5.6 implies two things... the car was at high altitude or the driver cant launch the car. I dont think either have much to do with the MPG figure...but who knows...

Jason
__________________
http://www.m3post.com/forums/signaturepics/sigpic14547_7.gif
JEllis is offline  
0
Reply With Quote
      09-19-2007, 12:16 PM   #7
swamp2
Lieutenant General
 
swamp2's Avatar
 
Drives: E92 M3
Join Date: Sep 2006
Location: San Diego, CA USA

Posts: 10,201
iTrader: (1)

Don't think so

Quote:
Originally Posted by esquire View Post
the problem with this statistic is that it comes from the same magazine that gives the M3 0-100 km/h in the mid 5 seconds.

as far as i'm concerned any statistic of significance coming out of this article is completely impeached.

- esquire
Do you mean the 8% number comes from Cars in Action (SA)? That is incorrect. BMW has stated explicitly the improvement in efficiency E92 M3 vs E46 M3 and I think the number is 8%.

Also, if you are referring to the mid 5 s 0-100 km/h time by the same SA mag - did you miss the elevation of the test and that entire discussion?

If your answers to both questions above are yes then you get a huge .
swamp2 is offline   United_States
0
Reply With Quote
      09-24-2007, 07:05 PM   #8
esquire
Colonel
 
esquire's Avatar
 
Drives: 2011.5 Dakar Yellow M3 Coupe
Join Date: Feb 2007
Location: Orange County, California

Posts: 2,800
iTrader: (0)

uhhmmmmm.......

Quote:
Originally Posted by swamp2 View Post
Do you mean the 8% number comes from Cars in Action (SA)? That is incorrect. BMW has stated explicitly the improvement in efficiency E92 M3 vs E46 M3 and I think the number is 8%.

Also, if you are referring to the mid 5 s 0-100 km/h time by the same SA mag - did you miss the elevation of the test and that entire discussion?

If your answers to both questions above are yes then you get a huge .
No actually i didn't miss the elevation and the ensuing discussion. But nonetheless, i take issue with their posted numbers. Even if i were to subscribe to the idea that the elevation caused THAT much of a performance differential, which is remotely plausible, the results of their test still fall under scrutiny given that they come out very different than the other S. African test mentioned in that same thread.

also, weren't they running some text message based poll where they charge you per text? i can't remember exactly... but that doesn't exactly bolster their cred any. haha.

- esquire
__________________

[ESS VT2-625] [Akrapovic Evolution Exhaust] [KW Clubsports] [OSS Angel Eyes] [Revinora r-CRT Lip]
[Vorsteiner Boot] [Challenge Race Diffuser] [See the Build Thread HERE]
esquire is offline   United_States
0
Reply With Quote
      09-24-2007, 07:08 PM   #9
T Bone
Brigadier General
 
T Bone's Avatar
 
Drives: 2008 335xi Coupe
Join Date: Feb 2007
Location: The land where we kill baby seals

Posts: 4,021
iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by JEllis View Post
Thats actually a little better than I get in my E36 with the way I drive...

I am not surprised... I was surprised that so many got taken in by the 12mpg...

Jason

The fuel economy that I got with my bone stock 98 E36 M3 was 8.7 l / 100 km, driving 55 mph (90 kph).....

9.2 is really impressive consider the POWA the 335i has...
__________________
"Aerodynamics are for people who cannot build engines"......Enzo Ferrari
T Bone is offline  
0
Reply With Quote
      09-24-2007, 07:14 PM   #10
swamp2
Lieutenant General
 
swamp2's Avatar
 
Drives: E92 M3
Join Date: Sep 2006
Location: San Diego, CA USA

Posts: 10,201
iTrader: (1)

?

Quote:
Originally Posted by T Bone View Post
The fuel economy that I got with my bone stock 98 E36 M3 was 8.7 l / 100 km, driving 55 mph (90 kph).....

9.2 is really impressive consider the POWA the 335i has...
??

9.2 was the number for the M3, why are you talking about the 335i and what is POWA?
swamp2 is offline   United_States
0
Reply With Quote
      09-24-2007, 09:39 PM   #11
T Bone
Brigadier General
 
T Bone's Avatar
 
Drives: 2008 335xi Coupe
Join Date: Feb 2007
Location: The land where we kill baby seals

Posts: 4,021
iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by swamp2 View Post
??

9.2 was the number for the M3, why are you talking about the 335i and what is POWA?

Sorry my brain fart....I was thinking of one of the reasons why I am buying a 335i and I made a comparison between my old E36 M3 (240 hp) and the new 335i (300 hp).

POWA = Power, context is "Yo, 3rd gear VTEC POWA"...
__________________
"Aerodynamics are for people who cannot build engines"......Enzo Ferrari
T Bone is offline  
0
Reply With Quote
Post Reply

Bookmarks

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Forum Jump


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 11:58 AM.




m3post
Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.7.0
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
1Addicts.com, BIMMERPOST.com, E90Post.com, F30Post.com, M3Post.com, ZPost.com, 5Post.com, 6Post.com, 7Post.com, XBimmers.com logo and trademark are properties of BIMMERPOST