BMW M3 Forum (E90 E92)

BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read


Go Back   M3Post - BMW M3 Forum > M3 (E90 / E92 / E93) > General M3 Forum (E90 + E92 + E93)
 
Evolve Automotive
Post Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
      09-17-2007, 01:14 PM   #1
marwan
Lieutenant
 
marwan's Avatar
 
Drives: 2011 ZCP E92 M3
Join Date: Jul 2007
Location: UAE

Posts: 403
iTrader: (0)

Question CAR mag M3 vs RS4...could someone explain to me something about the RS4?

in the article it mentions that Audi cannot have a DSG in the RS4 because of it's Longitudinal layout and an auto box is not possible because it cannot cope with the 8000rpm plus V8.

i didn't get that part so i would appreciate it if someone could explain it to me...i mean the Golf R32 and Bugatti Veyrone got a DSG, why couldn't the RS4?

thanks!
marwan is offline   United Arab Emirates
0
Reply With Quote
      09-17-2007, 01:23 PM   #2
southlight
Moderator / European Editor
 
southlight's Avatar
 
Drives: BMW
Join Date: Apr 2006
Location: Germany

Posts: 6,747
iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by marwan View Post
in the article it mentions that Audi cannot have a DSG in the RS4 because of it's Longitudinal layout and an auto box is not possible because it cannot cope with the 8000rpm plus V8.

i didn't get that part so i would appreciate it if someone could explain it to me...i mean the Golf R32 and Bugatti Veyrone got a DSG, why couldn't the RS4?

thanks!
That's right, the DSG gearbox featured in some VW models is only possible with cross mounted engines. R32's engine is cross mounted. The RS4 V8 is longitudinal mounted, I think there's not enough space for a DSG in that layout. The high output of the RS4 engine may have been another reason to be not available on RS4. Veyron's DSG can't be compared to the general VW system because both have nothing to do with each other. The Veyron DSG is a one-off for that car at the cost of about 100.000 each!

Best regards, south
southlight is offline  
0
Reply With Quote
      09-17-2007, 01:33 PM   #3
marwan
Lieutenant
 
marwan's Avatar
 
Drives: 2011 ZCP E92 M3
Join Date: Jul 2007
Location: UAE

Posts: 403
iTrader: (0)

sorry, but what does a cross mounted engine mean?

thanks!
marwan is offline   United Arab Emirates
0
Reply With Quote
      09-17-2007, 02:00 PM   #4
southlight
Moderator / European Editor
 
southlight's Avatar
 
Drives: BMW
Join Date: Apr 2006
Location: Germany

Posts: 6,747
iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by marwan View Post
sorry, but what does a cross mounted engine mean?

thanks!
Cross mounted means that the motor shaft is in line with the front axle. Here's a picture:

[ source: volkswagen.de ]

You can see that the engine is mounted in a position that's 90° rotated in comparsion to a longitudinal mounted engine. Sorry, can't describe it better, anyone else?

Best regards, south
southlight is offline  
0
Reply With Quote
      09-17-2007, 02:02 PM   #5
m_bazeepaymon
Major
 
Drives: 2008 E92 335i
Join Date: Sep 2006
Location: Los Angeles

Posts: 1,075
iTrader: (4)

Send a message via AIM to m_bazeepaymon
Quote:
Originally Posted by southlight View Post
Cross mounted means that the motor shaft is in line with the front axle. Here's a picture:

[ source: volkswagen.de ]

You can see that the engine is mounted in a position that's 90 rotated in comparsion to a longitudinal mounted engine. Sorry, can't describe it better, anyone else?

Best regards, south
very good explanation i learned a new kink
__________________


ZzZzZ'er
m_bazeepaymon is offline  
0
Reply With Quote
Post Reply

Bookmarks

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Forum Jump


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 05:25 AM.




m3post
Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.7.0
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
1Addicts.com, BIMMERPOST.com, E90Post.com, F30Post.com, M3Post.com, ZPost.com, 5Post.com, 6Post.com, 7Post.com, XBimmers.com logo and trademark are properties of BIMMERPOST