BMW M3 Forum (E90 E92)

BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read


Go Back   M3Post - BMW M3 Forum > M3 (E90 / E92 / E93) > M3 vs....
 
GT Haus
Post Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
      05-21-2013, 05:23 PM   #1
Endless619
DHS
Spain
98

 
Endless619's Avatar
 
Drives: 2014 Range Rover Black Edition
Join Date: Oct 2010
Location: Disneyland


Posts: 3,930
iTrader: (14)

Garage List
Moving from E92 M3 to 2009 Gallardo LP560-4

I would love to hear current owners that switched from an E92 M3 to an 09 and up Gallardo LP560-4.

I have been researching and looking at them for a few years. I test drove one in Oregon but at the time the interior was not so appealing to me. I know some would say big deal, but thats just me. I loved the exterior and again I understand that the Gallardo is going away after 2013.

Right now a 2009 or 2010 is in my price range at the moment (some things fell into place). I am still not sold on it and I like the 09 and up LED update and new front and rear fascias. Some other minor changes were updated as well.

I have read about the pros and cons of both and this would pretty much be a weekend car with occasional daily driving. Will be keeping the X5 for daily chores and at present it is my mule car.

Also moving from a RWD to AWD is new to me (in a performance car) aside from my AWD X5 but totally different animal.

I think wheels and exhaust would be it for me.

But again just seeing if we have current owners lurking or former E92 M3 owners. I have been to several sites and have been lurking for over a year on the sites.

Thanks for your time.

Last edited by Endless619; 05-21-2013 at 05:40 PM.
Appreciate 0
      05-21-2013, 05:31 PM   #2
Axxlrod
Dude man
4

 
Axxlrod's Avatar
 
Drives: 2013 535i M sport
Join Date: Jan 2007
Location: San Diego


Posts: 87
iTrader: (0)

Owners who went from an M3 to a Gallardo?

I'm sure there are just tons of them...
Appreciate 0
      05-21-2013, 05:37 PM   #3
Endless619
DHS
Spain
98

 
Endless619's Avatar
 
Drives: 2014 Range Rover Black Edition
Join Date: Oct 2010
Location: Disneyland


Posts: 3,930
iTrader: (14)

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by Axxlrod View Post
Owners who went from an M3 to a Gallardo?

I'm sure there are just tons of them...
Just a simple question. Plus it is the next step up on the food chain.
Appreciate 0
      05-21-2013, 05:41 PM   #4
///Montreal3
Second Lieutenant
Canada
3

 
///Montreal3's Avatar
 
Drives: 2011 AW E92 M3
Join Date: Dec 2011
Location: ///Montreal


Posts: 236
iTrader: (0)

This member made the switch...
http://www.m3post.com/forums/showthread.php?t=664886
__________________
BMW: 2011 AW/Black E92 M3 DCT - 2010 BSM/Tan E90 335i AT
Other: 2004 AW GDB STi 6spd - 1991 Nero/Nero 348tb 5spd
Appreciate 0
      05-21-2013, 05:47 PM   #5
av2
Private
0

 
av2's Avatar
 
Drives: e92 M3 DCT
Join Date: Apr 2008
Location: S.CAL


Posts: 60
iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Axxlrod View Post
Owners who went from an M3 to a Gallardo?

I'm sure there are just tons of them...
__________________

Current: E92 M3 DCT, Cayenne Turbo S, Ferrari F430 F1
Past:911 Turbo (996), C32 AMG, S2000, (E36) M3, Supra TT, MR2 Turbo
Appreciate 0
      05-21-2013, 06:14 PM   #6
Endless619
DHS
Spain
98

 
Endless619's Avatar
 
Drives: 2014 Range Rover Black Edition
Join Date: Oct 2010
Location: Disneyland


Posts: 3,930
iTrader: (14)

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by ///Montreal3 View Post
Thanks....

Appreciate 0
      05-21-2013, 06:17 PM   #7
bga23
Dirty old man
17

 
Drives: 2011.99 e90 Alpine White
Join Date: Jun 2012
Location: Yeah, but it is a dry heat


Posts: 475
iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Endless619 View Post
Just a simple question. Plus it is the next step up on the food chain.
Not so sure about that. For example, I think the majority of owners around here DD their M3s, whereas I'd harbor a guess that next to zero Gallardo owners do the same.

Don't get me wrong, LP560-4 is amazing ride but isn't just a step up from an M3.
__________________
2012 Ford Raptor
2011 AW e90 - Sold
Appreciate 0
      05-21-2013, 06:30 PM   #8
Endless619
DHS
Spain
98

 
Endless619's Avatar
 
Drives: 2014 Range Rover Black Edition
Join Date: Oct 2010
Location: Disneyland


Posts: 3,930
iTrader: (14)

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by bga23 View Post
Not so sure about that. For example, I think the majority of owners around here DD their M3s, whereas I'd harbor a guess that next to zero Gallardo owners do the same.

Don't get me wrong, LP560-4 is amazing ride but isn't just a step up from an M3.
Good point and I dont daily drive my M3. I have an X5 for that. I should have said for me its the next step up. I take baby steps and the R8 or Gallardo is the next step up for me. I came from a modified 02 NSX to a Z4MC to a E92 M3 and E70 X5.

Another poster found the thread I was looking at a month ago.
Appreciate 0
      05-21-2013, 06:41 PM   #9
dhalem
Private
7

 
Drives: 2008 E93 M3
Join Date: Jun 2012
Location: Bay Area


Posts: 82
iTrader: (1)

I'm in a similar boat. The M3 is a toy for me. I have a Prius Plug-In that's my DD. I've thought about the Gallardo/R8/911 Turbo S for a while.
Appreciate 0
      05-21-2013, 08:11 PM   #10
Alex07M3
Lieutenant Colonel
29

 
Drives: e92 m3
Join Date: Jan 2012
Location: Gatineau


Posts: 1,973
iTrader: (1)

Garage List
2008 e92 M3  [5.00]
I drove a 09 Gallardo 3 weeks ago and aldo it was really fun, it was also pretty disapointing, for two major reasons, one being the transmission and the other being the interior which I though looked cheap for a car of that price! It is a cool car but if it were my money, there are 3 options that would defenetly get my attention instead of a used Gallardo, not necessarily in that order;

Name:  otion 1.jpg
Views: 1466
Size:  108.8 KB

Name:  option 2.jpg
Views: 1397
Size:  178.5 KB

Name:  option 3.jpg
Views: 1448
Size:  152.5 KB
__________________
ESS VT1, M Performance exhaust, Turner test pipes, Eibach, Michelin PSS 255/295
Appreciate 0
      05-21-2013, 09:01 PM   #11
F1Venom
Captain
23

 
Drives: ZCP E90 M3
Join Date: Apr 2013
Location: USA


Posts: 859
iTrader: (0)

The Gallardo for me has always been the poster in my room type of dream car that I know I will buy a soon as I have the ability to. It's more than a performance car, it's an emotionally driven car that symbolizes success and power. Its presence on the road itself draws the eyes of any commuter. Its sound during start up and idle is another thing to behold. I've only sat in a 2009 LP560-4 and I found the interior to be pretty comfy and visibility is not as bad as I originally presumed. I see only about two Lamborghinis per year where I live whereas M3's I can see on a daily basis. Be prepared to be constantly photographed while driving though but that's just part of the experience. Good luck, and I hope you buy the best car (IMO) ever made.
Appreciate 0
      05-21-2013, 09:47 PM   #12
WERKE
President Directeur General
Canada
8

 
WERKE's Avatar
 
Drives: E92 M3
Join Date: Mar 2007
Location: Somewhere over the rainbow


Posts: 169
iTrader: (1)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alex07M3 View Post
I drove a 09 Gallardo 3 weeks ago and aldo it was really fun, it was also pretty disapointing, for two major reasons, one being the transmission and the other being the interior which I though looked cheap for a car of that price! It is a cool car but if it were my money, there are 3 options that would defenetly get my attention instead of a used Gallardo, not necessarily in that order;

Attachment 865409

Attachment 865410

Attachment 865411
Je pense que l'ordre est correct, quoi qu'il en soit, une chose est sūre, 991 GT3= ++
__________________
ESS VT1-535, Remus race
Appreciate 0
      05-21-2013, 09:55 PM   #13
DopeM3
M Power
United_States
41

 
DopeM3's Avatar
 
Drives: M3
Join Date: Jun 2012
Location: NH


Posts: 1,295
iTrader: (8)

Amazing car. What price ranges are you finding for 2009-10?
Appreciate 0
      05-21-2013, 10:10 PM   #14
Majin Buu
Banned
7

 
Drives: M3
Join Date: Apr 2013
Location: Canada


Posts: 324
iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alex07M3 View Post
I drove a 09 Gallardo 3 weeks ago and aldo it was really fun, it was also pretty disapointing, for two major reasons, one being the transmission and the other being the interior which I though looked cheap for a car of that price! It is a cool car but if it were my money, there are 3 options that would defenetly get my attention instead of a used Gallardo, not necessarily in that order;

Attachment 865409

Attachment 865410

Attachment 865411
So instead of a REAL gallardo, you would rather get the audi facsimilie poor man's gallardo, or a couple of souped up VW beetles? To each his own I guess.
Appreciate 0
      05-21-2013, 10:11 PM   #15
Majin Buu
Banned
7

 
Drives: M3
Join Date: Apr 2013
Location: Canada


Posts: 324
iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Endless619 View Post
I would love to hear current owners that switched from an E92 M3 to an 09 and up Gallardo LP560-4.

I have been researching and looking at them for a few years. I test drove one in Oregon but at the time the interior was not so appealing to me. I know some would say big deal, but thats just me. I loved the exterior and again I understand that the Gallardo is going away after 2013.

Right now a 2009 or 2010 is in my price range at the moment (some things fell into place). I am still not sold on it and I like the 09 and up LED update and new front and rear fascias. Some other minor changes were updated as well.

I have read about the pros and cons of both and this would pretty much be a weekend car with occasional daily driving. Will be keeping the X5 for daily chores and at present it is my mule car.

Also moving from a RWD to AWD is new to me (in a performance car) aside from my AWD X5 but totally different animal.

I think wheels and exhaust would be it for me.

But again just seeing if we have current owners lurking or former E92 M3 owners. I have been to several sites and have been lurking for over a year on the sites.

Thanks for your time.
Never driven a gallardo but if i had the money to upgrade i'd dump the m3 in a heartbeat.
Appreciate 0
      05-21-2013, 10:18 PM   #16
mlambert890
Private First Class
1

 
Drives: 2008 M3 DCT Coupe
Join Date: Apr 2013
Location: United States


Posts: 108
iTrader: (0)

I know a ton of Gallardo owners who have owned an M3. Maybe "switch to" is the wrong term? Most Gallardo owners I know have pretty heavy bank. It is very rarely "this or that"

Having done many a ride along I can say that the Gallardo is surprisingly easy to live with and actually pretty close to an R8 in a lot of ways. Neither of them are, IMO, even close to an M3 in terms of livability b/c an M3 is a normal car (4 seats, trunk, doesnt attract attention, etc)

If I lived in LA and worked as a Paramount executive, or was a doctor with a private practice and hidden parking spot, I'd have np daily driving either one of those though.

To *me* both the Gallardo and the R8 (and the 911 Turbo for that matter) are more exciting than the M3 pretty much down the line. More visceral, quicker, better sound track, better looking, exotic, equally engaging, etc. None of them have the same utility obviously.

One thing to keep in mind is you get *incomprehensible* attention in a Gallardo. I had this with the GTR (the GTR gets a *shocking* amount of attention) and its part of why I unloaded it. I also got it with my heavily modified, show car quality, NSX. The R8 is pretty bad also. The 911T is invisible. To me, I prefer invisible honestly (which is why im such a huge 911 fan) The 911 Turbo is a monster. It checks *every* box. It is fully respectable. The entire world knows its a Porsche and you get that cachet, but you don't get people following you 11 miles to a highway rest stop exit to wait for you to pull over and get gas so they can take pictures of the car. I've had that *actually happen* in the NSX and the GTR and I've had it happen during a ride along in a friends (really incredibly lime green... LOL) Gallardo

Last edited by mlambert890; 05-21-2013 at 10:24 PM.
Appreciate 0
      05-21-2013, 10:47 PM   #17
Alex07M3
Lieutenant Colonel
29

 
Drives: e92 m3
Join Date: Jan 2012
Location: Gatineau


Posts: 1,973
iTrader: (1)

Garage List
2008 e92 M3  [5.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Majin Buu View Post
So instead of a REAL gallardo, you would rather get the audi facsimilie poor man's gallardo, or a couple of souped up VW beetles? To each his own I guess.
Totally my friend, because apart from being brand new with a full warranty and having a far more quality feeling interior, the FAKE Gallardo, like you call it, at least has a REAL dual clutch transmission which is a must I think in a modern sport car! Also I wonder which one is the fake, since it's Audi that owns Lambo and not the opposite!

As far as the souped up beetles comment, just showed me you don't know much about cars!

I'll just leave this here for you to hate it!

__________________
ESS VT1, M Performance exhaust, Turner test pipes, Eibach, Michelin PSS 255/295
Appreciate 0
      05-21-2013, 10:56 PM   #18
Alex07M3
Lieutenant Colonel
29

 
Drives: e92 m3
Join Date: Jan 2012
Location: Gatineau


Posts: 1,973
iTrader: (1)

Garage List
2008 e92 M3  [5.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by WERKE View Post
Je pense que l'ordre est correct, quoi qu'il en soit, une chose est sūre, 991 GT3= ++


Name:  991 gt3.jpg
Views: 1857
Size:  82.3 KB
__________________
ESS VT1, M Performance exhaust, Turner test pipes, Eibach, Michelin PSS 255/295
Appreciate 0
      05-21-2013, 11:20 PM   #19
Giggs
Major
United_States
33

 
Giggs's Avatar
 
Drives: R8
Join Date: Jul 2008
Location: SoCal


Posts: 1,131
iTrader: (5)

I moved to an R8 and don't miss the M3 one bit. Totally different car and totally different ownership experience. Make sure you research cost of ownership before you make the jump and make sure you buy a warranty. Fixes on these car aren't cheap - they make M3 maintenance seem like its nothing

A couple of my buddies who have R8s switched to the Gallardo and switched right back to the R8. They said the Gallardo was a great car but it wasn't practical nor was it nearly as reliable.
Appreciate 0
      05-21-2013, 11:27 PM   #20
Majin Buu
Banned
7

 
Drives: M3
Join Date: Apr 2013
Location: Canada


Posts: 324
iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alex07M3 View Post
Totally my friend, because apart from being brand new with a full warranty and having a far more quality feeling interior, the FAKE Gallardo, like you call it, at least has a REAL dual clutch transmission which is a must I think in a modern sport car! Also I wonder which one is the fake, since it's Audi that owns Lambo and not the opposite!

As far as the souped up beetles comment, just showed me you don't know much about cars!

I'll just leave this here for you to hate it!

I never said the r8 is a bad car. But as far as gearboxes i prefer manual anyway. The r8 is based on the gallardo chassis and frame and even the v10 is a detuned gallardo motor. So in a way the r8 is a budget gallardo for people who cant afford the real thing. The gallardo is still way better as a car and as a prestigious brand and status symbol.

And yes the 911 did start life as a higher performance beetl. Google it for yourself
Appreciate 0
      05-21-2013, 11:29 PM   #21
Giggs
Major
United_States
33

 
Giggs's Avatar
 
Drives: R8
Join Date: Jul 2008
Location: SoCal


Posts: 1,131
iTrader: (5)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alex07M3 View Post
Totally my friend, because apart from being brand new with a full warranty and having a far more quality feeling interior, the FAKE Gallardo, like you call it, at least has a REAL dual clutch transmission which is a must I think in a modern sport car! Also I wonder which one is the fake, since it's Audi that owns Lambo and not the opposite!

As far as the souped up beetles comment, just showed me you don't know much about cars!
Your comments are right on! The only thing I have to add is that the R/Tronic is magnificent as well once you learn to drive it. The dual clutch is much faster but there is something special and raw about the R/Tronic, and if you treat it like a manual without a clutch it performs brilliantly. If you only listen to reviews about the R/tronic and only test drive one around the block you only hate it. Give it two weeks behind the wheel of an R/Tronic and you're hooked! This is the same consensus from a majority of R8 owners you will talk to about it.
Appreciate 0
      05-21-2013, 11:33 PM   #22
Giggs
Major
United_States
33

 
Giggs's Avatar
 
Drives: R8
Join Date: Jul 2008
Location: SoCal


Posts: 1,131
iTrader: (5)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Majin Buu View Post
I never said the r8 is a bad car. But as far as gearboxes i prefer manual anyway. The r8 is based on the gallardo chassis and frame and even the v10 is a detuned gallardo motor. So in a way the r8 is a budget gallardo for people who cant afford the real thing. The gallardo is still way better as a car and as a prestigious brand and status symbol.

And yes the 911 did start life as a higher performance beetl. Google it for yourself
Dude the R8 is NOT bought by people who cant afford the Gallardo. Plenty of my friends who own R8s have enough money to buy whatever car they wish, and even own multiple supercars. They are different cars in many ways. The R8 is for people who want a practical beautifully designed daily driver super car without the "look at me" factor of a Lambo. People who dont own a Lambo or a Gallardo, like you, say shit like that because they have no idea what they're talking about.
Appreciate 0
Post Reply

Bookmarks

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Forum Jump


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 10:25 PM.




m3post
Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.7.0
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
1Addicts.com, BIMMERPOST.com, E90Post.com, F30Post.com, M3Post.com, ZPost.com, 5Post.com, 6Post.com, 7Post.com, XBimmers.com logo and trademark are properties of BIMMERPOST