BMW M3 Forum (E90 E92)

BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   M3Post - BMW M3 Forum > E90/E92 M3 Technical Topics > Engine, Transmission, Exhaust, Drivetrain, ECU Software Modifications

07-15-2013, 03:53 PM   #1
07BSM328
Private First Class
Canada
Rep
Drives: '12 M3 Fire Orange

Test pipes diy?

I've searched but can't find any threads on a DIY for test pipe install. Anyone done it themselves?
Local exhast shop wouldn't do it
Local tuner shop said so busy it's a 2 week wait
I got my pipes and ess tune waiting in the garage, can anyone help me out?
12 E92 M3 Fire Orange not subtle at all
Appreciate 0
      07-15-2013, 03:57 PM   #2
Evolve-US
BimmerPost Supporting Vendor
Rep

Drives: E92 M3

If you get underneath the car:
- Line up the test pipe to the stock exhaust
- Mark where you want to cut, Usually I make sure to cut a bit less just to make sure that
there is enough to slip on (also, its better to cut less than more)
- Cut the pipe, If you have the tools, or remove the pipe to cut.
- Slip on the test pipe, and either clamp or whatever you need to.

That should be it
Appreciate 0
      07-16-2013, 02:43 PM   #3
UBER ///M3
Nüburgring Nordschleife BTG 8:05
Germany
Rep
Drives: 2012 LEMANS BLUE E92 ZCP M3

^^^nailed it on the head...very simple..have a buddy over, drink some beers while doing it, and youll save yourself some cash...once you see how easy it is by getting underneath you definitely wont take it anywhere to pay for it to be done my friend...good luck brother
ESS V2 Tune, ACM Test Pipes, AA Green Filter,Custom painted Recaro Pole Positions, Akrapovic slip on, Stoptech ST60/ Pagid pads, KW Clubsports, APEX ARC8s/Pilot Sport Cups, Hamann carbon fiber hood, ONEighty Headlight mod (selfmade), CRT lip with splitters, Blacked out/paint matched emblems, black aluminum extended paddles and pedals
Appreciate 0
      07-16-2013, 02:56 PM   #4
happos2
Dingleberries
Rep
Drives: Gray E92 M3

Just make sure you unplug the O2 sensors prior to removing pipe or trying to un-screwing O2 sensors.

Very simple job, took me and a body about 45 min - 1 hour to complete. Once you get under the car, you will understand.
Appreciate 0
      07-16-2013, 04:06 PM   #5
Evolve-US
Rep

Drives: E92 M3

Quote:
Originally Posted by happos2 View Post
Just make sure you unplug the O2 sensors prior to removing pipe or trying to un-screwing O2 sensors.

Very simple job, took me and a body about 45 min - 1 hour to complete. Once you get under the car, you will understand.
Agreed, I usually try to unclip them first and before trying to unscrew them.
Appreciate 0
      05-09-2014, 11:42 AM   #6
gazosnic
Captain
Rep
Drives: bmw m3

What do you guys use to make a straight cut? Also do all the heat shields need to come off?
      05-09-2014, 12:03 PM   #7
Haywood
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2013 BMW M3 Coupe

Quote:
Originally Posted by gazosnic View Post
What do you guys use to make a straight cut? Also do all the heat shields need to come off?
I used a Sawzall with a metal blade. I think it's easier to remove the x-pipe and make the cuts vs. doing it on your back laying down. You don't want to slip and cut into anything else. Like others said, it's a 2 man job and it's not that difficult.
      05-09-2014, 01:03 PM   #8
Andrew@ActiveAutowerke
Rep

Drives: 2014 435I M-sport

Here are our install instructions for the Active Autowerke Track pipe. Hope it helps.

http://www.activeautowerke.com/Insta...structions.pdf
      05-09-2014, 01:09 PM   #9
happos2
Dingleberries
Rep
Drives: Gray E92 M3

Quote:
Originally Posted by gazosnic View Post
Saws-all! Or angle grinder if you have one.

Last edited by happos2; 05-12-2014 at 07:27 AM.
Appreciate 0
      05-09-2014, 01:16 PM   #10
S65 Underdog
Banned
No_Country
Rep
Drives: a functional car.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Evolve-US View Post
If you get underneath the car:
- Line up the test pipe to the stock exhaust
- Mark where you want to cut, Usually I make sure to cut a bit less just to make sure that
there is enough to slip on (also, its better to cut less than more)
- Cut the pipe, If you have the tools, or remove the pipe to cut.
- Slip on the test pipe, and either clamp or whatever you need to.

That should be it
Quote:
Originally Posted by UBER ///M3 View Post
^^^nailed it on the head...very simple..have a buddy over, drink some beers while doing it, and youll save yourself some cash...once you see how easy it is by getting underneath you definitely wont take it anywhere to pay for it to be done my friend...good luck brother
+1
Appreciate 0
      05-09-2014, 01:17 PM   #11
1MOREMOD
2014 Track Days - 11|Ridge 1:52:24|Pacific 1:35:72
United_States
Rep
Drives: Race car->

I woud take it off also so you get a straight cut. Maybe try a cut off wheel on an angle grinder, work better than sawzall.
Appreciate 0
      05-09-2014, 02:27 PM   #12
dfjaws
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: '08 E90 M3 - '02 Z3 Roady

TMS test pipes come with great instructions. I did it myself in my garage on ramps. it took about 2 hours.
      05-09-2014, 06:37 PM   #13
WinterSoldier
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2013 E92 Coupe

Disclosure..haven't "done" it yet. Waiting for my underdrive pulley's to arrive, ready to install ESS tune package etc.

This is the tool I bought to make it happen.

Name:  Chopsaw.jpg
Views: 739
Size:  197.9 KB

Forza Michael!!
Appreciate 0
      05-12-2014, 10:12 PM   #14
gazosnic
Captain
Rep

i have ramps.... not sure i have enough room to DIY it. I was just barley able to pull off an oil change. I might be able to do it but will be tight.

also it seems like taking the entire section 2 off would be a pain... would prefer the saw-all method if a straight cut can be managed. This will be using the ACM TPs w clamp.
      05-13-2014, 12:30 PM   #15
gazosnic
Captain
Rep

anyone use something like this?

05-13-2014, 10:51 PM   #16
jcm3
Private
Rep
Drives: e46 M3, e90 M3

i did mine on the floor with ramps and it was tight but doable (took about 3 hours). Hardest part is separating the xpipe from the headers and muffler sections. The most time consuming part was taking the engine pan, felt undercarriage off.
Appreciate 0
      10-29-2014, 04:41 PM   #17
waldron80
United_States
Rep
Drives: 08 e90 M3 6MT

Still a noob but I'm working on my post count. Just picked up my e90 this past week. Been on m3forum for the past few years.

Question about the test pipe install. I'm picking up some used TMS test pipes for a good price but they wont' have clamp which I've heard I can pick up anywhere.

When I cut the cats off does the cut have to be perfect? If there is a 1/2" gap between the test pipes and the xpipe will the exhaust clamps just make it up? Not that I won't try to make it as close as possible.

Thanks.
Appreciate 0
      10-30-2014, 11:34 PM   #18
mxa121
Captain
Rep
Drives: M

Quote:
Originally Posted by waldron80 View Post
Still a noob but I'm working on my post count. Just picked up my e90 this past week. Been on m3forum for the past few years.

Question about the test pipe install. I'm picking up some used TMS test pipes for a good price but they wont' have clamp which I've heard I can pick up anywhere.

When I cut the cats off does the cut have to be perfect? If there is a 1/2" gap between the test pipes and the xpipe will the exhaust clamps just make it up? Not that I won't try to make it as close as possible.

Thanks.
1/2" is a large gap for clamps to make up for, depending on the clamp you use. Try to get it as close as possible. Cut less than necessary, then trim down. The tighter the fit, the less chance of an exhaust leak. Some people weld them on.
      12-13-2014, 06:14 PM   #19
mxa121
Captain
Rep

Just started trying this diy this morning.
Still have not finished.

Sawzall under the car on ramps is terrible. Hard to get a good cut.
I left too much of the OEM x pipe, so I needed to cut more. Since the pipe was no longer connected to the header, it wiggled around too much. I had to remove the xpipe.
The oring gaskets to the header on one side fell apart, the header flange slid right off with it. The under pan is a pain to get off. Access is super tight without a proper lift.

Right now I have the x pipe on. The right test pipe is on. The left still wont fit. I will probably have to remove the x pipe again, put on the left side, then lift it back into place. My fear is after all that, I will have an exhaust leak and be paying a shop to fix it. And to think I was planning on a mountain drive tomorrow...

From my experience, this job is all but easy. For a forum filled with simple DIY jobs like oil changes, there should be a well documented one for this. It is NOT a simple quick and easy job (for me it isn't) and not for a noob to just dive in. Once you make the first cut, you are in it for the long haul.

I wish I could transport back in time, and take it to a shop. I would be driving it right now instead of still fighting it. Sucks.
      12-13-2014, 07:31 PM   #20
tinman831
Captain
Rep
Drives: M3

The link from AA is spot on. It applies to all test pipes pretty much. The hardest part is working on your back if you don't have a lift, and working by yourself if you don't have help. That sucker is heavy.
Appreciate 0
      12-13-2014, 07:39 PM   #21
1MOREMOD
2014 Track Days - 11|Ridge 1:52:24|Pacific 1:35:72
United_States
Rep
Drives: Race car->

Quote:
Originally Posted by mxa121 View Post
Just started trying this diy this morning.
Still have not finished.

Sawzall under the car on ramps is terrible. Hard to get a good cut.
I left too much of the OEM x pipe, so I needed to cut more. Since the pipe was no longer connected to the header, it wiggled around too much. I had to remove the xpipe.
The oring gaskets to the header on one side fell apart, the header flange slid right off with it. The under pan is a pain to get off. Access is super tight without a proper lift.

Right now I have the x pipe on. The right test pipe is on. The left still wont fit. I will probably have to remove the x pipe again, put on the left side, then lift it back into place. My fear is after all that, I will have an exhaust leak and be paying a shop to fix it. And to think I was planning on a mountain drive tomorrow...

From my experience, this job is all but easy. For a forum filled with simple DIY jobs like oil changes, there should be a well documented one for this. It is NOT a simple quick and easy job (for me it isn't) and not for a noob to just dive in. Once you make the first cut, you are in it for the long haul.

I wish I could transport back in time, and take it to a shop. I would be driving it right now instead of still fighting it. Sucks.
It's less hard than a pain in the ass. Have to work thru like you are. Keep at it, satisfaction from job done yourself coming soon.
Appreciate 0
      12-16-2014, 05:40 PM   #22
mxa121
Captain
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1MOREMOD View Post
It's less hard than a pain in the ass. Have to work thru like you are. Keep at it, satisfaction from job done yourself coming soon.
Well, I ended up getting it done and there is some satisfaction of doing it myself. Best part is, my friend with an Akra was oozing over my Megan test pipe combo, so that made it worth it while we chewed through the Cherohala Skyway.

So DIY cliff notes
1. Remove X pipe. (and skid plate)
2. Line up test pipes, mark, secure, and cut.
3. Clamp test pipes to X pipe, loosely for now.
4. Lift X pipe back into place.
5. Tighten everything from headers back.
6. Test start for leaks.
7. Readjust if necessary.
8. Two mandatory wide open throttle runs.

If I would have done step 1 first, my life would have been easier.
Appreciate 0