BMW M3 Forum (E90 E92)

BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   M3Post - BMW M3 Forum > M3 (E90 / E92 / E93) > General M3 Forum (E90 + E92 + E93)

VF Engineering

05-19-2013, 12:56 PM   #1
JLed79
First Lieutenant

Drives: Fast, very very fast...

What does this mean?

I'm looking at an '08 E90 that I like alot. It is a 6MT. Upon closer inspection of the pictures though I see that it only has two of the three buttons to the left of the stick. The power button and the dsc button. The edc button is not there and there is just a black blank in its place. What does this mean? Obviously I take it to mean that it does not have adjustable damping, but my question is then what setting it's default? If its permanently on the harshest setting I'm okay with that, but if it's on the most comfortable then I will pass on the car.
Thanks in advance for your responses guys.
      05-19-2013, 01:03 PM   #2
MSPORTWORLD
Major

Drives: '11 M3 MW/FR - '12 M3 FO/SC

Garage List
As an owner of a both an M3 w/ and w/o EDC the non-EDC car feels just like the EDC car on the normal setting. The EDC setting are comfort, normal and sport.

For track days I usually use the normal setting on my EDC car.
MSPORTWORLD is offline   United_States
      05-19-2013, 01:38 PM   #3
FVM3
Major General

Drives: 2011 E93 M3

Quote:
Originally Posted by MSPORTWORLD View Post
As an owner of a both an M3 w/ and w/o EDC the non-EDC car feels just like the EDC car on the normal setting. The EDC setting are comfort, normal and sport.

May i ask why you own 2 same cars?
      05-19-2013, 02:25 PM   #4
robbiedawg
Lieutenant

Drives: 2008 ib e90 m3, 1995 acura nsx

Garage List
2008 BMW M3  [0.00]
1995 ACURA NSX-T  [0.00]
my car has this same 2-button non-edc setup,and i agree that it's the same as an edc car on the middle setting.

~EVERYTHING IN MODERATION,INCLUDING MODERATION ~
robbiedawg is offline   United_States
      05-19-2013, 02:30 PM   #5
tjsabec
Lieutenant

Drives: 2008, e90, alpine white, 6mt

"Electronic Damper Control (EDC) automatically or manually adjusts each damper to suit the driving conditions meaning you enjoy outstanding comfort along with the best in BMW on-road safety. EDC reduces variations in wheel load, ensures tyres have excellent traction and counteracts bodyshell movement regardless of the weight your automobile may be carrying or the state of the road's surface.

Sensors constantly monitor all factors influencing the vehicle's behaviour and occupants' comfort, in order to precisely adjust the damper control. In a fraction of a second, the signals are analysed by the EDC microprocessor and orders are sent to the actuators on the shock absorbers, which, with the help of magnetic valves, are variably adjusted to provide optimal suspension. Thanks to Electronic Damper Control, the tendency for the nose to dip when braking is practically eliminated. The influence of potholes and unevenness on the road surface is reduced to minimum."

Comfort, Sport, & Sport+ are programs the EDC processor runs.. It is not like the system just "squeezes" the springs to which ever program setting you are running.
tjsabec is offline   United_States
      05-19-2013, 03:17 PM   #6
JLed79
First Lieutenant

Quote:
Originally Posted by MSPORTWORLD

Thank you. That tells me to pass on this one.
      05-19-2013, 04:04 PM   #7
Majin Buu
Banned

Drives: M3

If you have no intention of upgrading the suspension, then definitely get the edc. If you are fairly sure you will switch to coilovers, don't get the edc since that simplifies the upgrade procedure.
      05-19-2013, 04:15 PM   #8
Majin Buu
Banned

Drives: M3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Torxist View Post
EDC is best, beacuse it allows you to maintain full stiffness
so does a little blue pill
      05-20-2013, 12:00 AM   #9
track_warrior
Lieutenant

Drives: 2011 M3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Majin Buu View Post
so does a little blue pill
lol

Compensating a heavy car with horsepower is like giving an alcoholic cocaine to sober him up...
track_warrior is offline   United_States
      05-20-2013, 10:14 AM   #10
jphughan
Brigadier General

Drives: 2011.75 M3 E92 6MT

Quote:
Originally Posted by JLed79 View Post
Thank you. That tells me to pass on this one.
I would test an M3 with EDC in Sport mode on the road before you decide to pass on a non-EDC car for being too soft. I personally find EDC Sport to be unbearably harsh on average street pavement -- although I do concede that it's impressive that such a huge suspension comfort range is available in a single car at the touch of a button. I actually use Comfort during casual city driving since there's no point punishing myself when cruising in the city, and I switch to Normal on back roads and the track where I can actually benefit from a firmer setup. I'd only use Sport if I were on a track with no elevation changes (which I haven't yet run), since that's what an M suspension engineer recommended for non-ZCP cars in an interview comparing ZCP to non-ZCP.

However, also be aware that a non-EDC car will NOT be exactly like an EDC car in Normal or any other mode. Normal and Comfort modes on non-ZCP EDC (and all 3 EDC modes on ZCP cars) are adaptive, meaning that the car adjusts the suspension firmness within a range specified by your setting based on road and driving conditions, whereas a non-EDC car has a static suspension setup that does not do that. EDC Sport on a non-ZCP car is also a static setup, but I believe it's firmer than a the non-EDC setup, and interestingly the upper firmness range of Normal is actually FIRMER than the static Sport mode. But in any case, while the non-EDC setup may feel like Normal EDC on average, they are definitely not identical.
11 M3 E92 Le Mans | Black Nov w/ Alum | 6MT | Premium 2 | Convenience | 19" | EDC | Prem Audio | Moonroof | BMW Apps | Vorshlag Adjustable Camber Plates | StopTech ST-60 380mm BBK | Castrol SRF Fluid | ModMyNav.com rear camera | OEM Euro Sunglasses Holder

Last edited by jphughan; 05-20-2013 at 10:22 AM.
jphughan is offline   United_States
      05-20-2013, 11:40 AM   #11
mdosu
Banned

Drives: Double Vanos'd Civic-M3

for an 08, I believe it also means the car doesn't come with "Mdrive" Package which was an option for 08 cars. The lack of this package means the car is missing: the M button, Servotronic's sport setting, and MDM. However, you can get it all coded in after the fact with Mike Benvo
mdosu is offline   No_Country
      05-20-2013, 11:49 AM   #12
JLed79
First Lieutenant

Quote:
Originally Posted by mdosu View Post
for an 08, I believe it also means the car doesn't come with "Mdrive" Package which was an option for 08 cars. The lack of this package means the car is missing: the M button, Servotronic's sport setting, and MDM. However, you can get it all coded in after the fact with Mike Benvo
I did find this to be the case. Happily I one that has everything I want on it for a good deal. Will most likely fly to where it is and drive it home within the next week.
      05-20-2013, 11:50 AM   #13
mdosu
Banned

Drives: Double Vanos'd Civic-M3

Quote:
Originally Posted by JLed79 View Post
I did find this to be the case. Happily I one that has everything I want on it for a good deal. Will most likely fly to where it is and drive it home within the next week.
hope you got a good deal on this, good luck on the purchase.

Personally, I think the M Drive package and EDC are a must for the car, but hell, if you got a killer deal, it's still a M3.
mdosu is offline   No_Country
      05-20-2013, 11:55 AM   #14
JLed79
First Lieutenant

Quote:
Originally Posted by mdosu View Post
hope you got a good deal on this, good luck on the purchase.

Personally, I think the M Drive package and EDC are a must for the car, but hell, if you got a killer deal, it's still a M3.
Agreed. It has M drive and edc. 6Mt. Why have an M without these options? Seems silly to me.