BMW M3 Forum (E90 E92)

BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   M3Post - BMW M3 Forum > M3 (E90 / E92 / E93) > M3 vs....

BPM Sport

05-22-2013, 11:37 AM   #23
i001947
Captain

Drives: '13 E92 M3

Quote:
Originally Posted by KKM3 View Post
There's no doubt what an amazing experience a 911 provides. I had a 997.2 c2s and for a brief period a gt3, however I could not justify paying 130k for a run of the mill 991 c2s. Spec'd out the way I wanted with pdcc, sport exhaust and all the other must have (for me) options got me into super car money territory, and that's exactly what I used the money for. Having said that, I do miss driving Porsche cars, but prefer the drive and looks of my r8 over any current Pcar.
Sounds to me, once you get that emotional bug with the Porsches it doesn't end. And the thirst and need for more gets worst.

Maybe I should just be happy with my M3 and not give into the dark side.

BTW, on the way to work this morning a sweet black R8 V10 blew by me in the left lane so effortlessly while I was doing 80 mph. The sad thing for me was it was really slowing down when it passed me. I guess it was dis-engaging it's warp engine, slowing to impulse power. Nice.

Last edited by i001947; 05-22-2013 at 11:46 AM.
      05-22-2013, 11:58 AM   #24
KKM3
Lieutenant

Drives: E92 m3 + r8 v10

Quote:
Originally Posted by i001947 View Post
Sounds to me, once you get that emotional bug with the Porsches it doesn't end. And the thirst and need for more gets worst.

Maybe I should just be happy with my M3 and not give into the dark side.

BTW, on the way to work this morning a sweet black R8 V10 blew by me in the left lane so effortlessly while I was doing 80 mph. The sad thing for me was it was really slowing down when it passed me. I guess it was dis-engaging it's warp engine, slowing to impulse power. Nice.
Yeah my r8 impresses me on a daily basis. Best car I've ever owned by far. For those who doubt it's capabilities I implore you to take one on a test drive. I've always been a Porsche nut but the gt3 became too burdensome to drive regularly and I'm the type of guy who likes to drive not just park and stare at my rides. I would never buy a Porsche 911 turbo, not a big fan of FI and the sounds it makes are uninspiring compared to a Na high revving motor. Ill wait for the 991 gt3 maybe that'll be my ticket back.
KKM3 is offline   United_States
      05-29-2013, 08:46 AM   #25
skins333
Captain

Drives: '08 E93 BMW M3 MR/'12 x5d SG

thanks for all the replies! can't wait till test-drive time!!

here's an awesome video about the base 911 vs loaded boxter s:
skins333 is offline   United_States
      05-29-2013, 09:14 AM   #26
CSanto
Lieutenant Colonel

Drives: 2009 E92 M3

The more I think about the price of the 991S the more I cant substantiate buying one.

I'm 27 first off, and I do not yet have grey or white hair. So I would just stand out in the 911 crowd. (This is a joke, hah)

Secondly, I'm still in my "I need more power" phase so for the money the new Viper or C7 Z06 is on my radar. No replacement for displacement.

Last edited by CSanto; 05-29-2013 at 09:26 AM.
      05-29-2013, 01:57 PM   #27
X2Board
Late Apex

Drives: '11 X5 M

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ezio View Post
honestly the cayman is more of a chick car IMO.

Have you ever driven one?
X2Board is offline   United_States
      05-29-2013, 02:01 PM   #28
Wolfinwolfsclothing
Captain

Drives: E92 ///M3 Coupe

Quote:
Originally Posted by X2Board View Post

Quite obvious he has not. There is no single better driver's car under 100K than a boxster or cayman. Period.

You need to get to GT3/458 territory to find one that is as good and even then, neither are better, just equal.
      05-30-2013, 02:26 AM   #29
Ezio
Colonel

Drives: 2013 E92 M3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wolfinwolfsclothing View Post
Quite obvious he has not. There is no single better driver's car under 100K than a boxster or cayman. Period.

You need to get to GT3/458 territory to find one that is as good and even then, neither are better, just equal.
Quote:
Originally Posted by X2Board View Post

I also heard a Mazda miata is a great drivers car. ROFL but i am not a homo !

Listen, there comes a point when a car looks make me not want it. I could care less how much of a drivers car it is.

A cayman is very small, "detuned" 911, engine sound is also not that great. Its a good car i will admit. But its not for me. again 911 looks SO much better.

The cayman is also stupidly slow for how much it cost. and boxster is on another level on slow.
Ezio is offline   United_States
      05-30-2013, 03:52 AM   #30
Transfer
Lieutenant Colonel

Drives: SQ5, X1

Quote:
Originally Posted by PhillyNate
It's very peculiar. I only want a Porsche 911 when I'm not driving the M3.
I completely agree.
Transfer is offline   United_States
      05-30-2013, 03:57 AM   #31
Transfer
Lieutenant Colonel

Drives: SQ5, X1

Quote:

Listen, there comes a point when a car looks make me not want it. I could care less how much of a drivers car it is.

A cayman is very small, "detuned" 911, engine sound is also not that great. Its a good car i will admit. But its not for me. again 911 looks SO much better.

The cayman is also stupidly slow for how much it cost. and boxster is on another level on slow.
Maybe you're not a homo, but you certainly are an asshole. GTFO
Transfer is offline   United_States
      05-30-2013, 07:01 AM   #32
i001947
Captain

Drives: '13 E92 M3

Quote:
Originally Posted by CSanto View Post
The more I think about the price of the 991S the more I cant substantiate buying one.
Same here!

Keep hope alive.
      05-30-2013, 07:42 AM   #33
Wolfinwolfsclothing
Captain

Drives: E92 ///M3 Coupe

Quote:

Ive owned both a 911 and Cayman S and while the cayman S was a good looking car the 911 is certainly better looking and same goes for the current generations.

If you think the Cayman S is slow though, our M3s are also slow. Cayman S trap speed is right there with our M3s despite having close to 100 hp less. And on a track, the cayman S is easier to drive and will be quicker on most tracks in the hands of any driver. But if you think any of these cars is about straight line speed, youre missing the point of them.
      05-30-2013, 09:13 AM   #34
saeyedoc
Lieutenant

Drives: 2012 Cayman S, 2012 Panamera

Quote:

Right, since they have the same engine and about the same weight and the same specs.
      05-30-2013, 12:44 PM   #35
Ezio
Colonel

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wolfinwolfsclothing View Post
Ive owned both a 911 and Cayman S and while the cayman S was a good looking car the 911 is certainly better looking and same goes for the current generations.

If you think the Cayman S is slow though, our M3s are also slow. Cayman S trap speed is right there with our M3s despite having close to 100 hp less. And on a track, the cayman S is easier to drive and will be quicker on most tracks in the hands of any driver. But if you think any of these cars is about straight line speed, youre missing the point of them.
Like i said caymans are great cars, i will agree on that. I personally do not like the looks of them enough to ever want one.

with that said. The M3 is bigger and more aggressive looking. the engine gives more kick and sounds much better. Honestly, i am a sound guy when it comes to cars. I love a good sounding engine over anything else. But i bought a M3 so that means to do care about handing. Yes M3s are not the fastest thing around, but they give me sound and looks i love. M3s handing makes the Daily driver on the street easier and fun. (good control) but i don't care about track numbers at all.
      06-18-2013, 12:25 AM   #36
positiveions
Lieutenant General

Drives: 09 MKV JETTA 2.5 & E90 M3 :)

Send a message via MSN to positiveions Send a message via Yahoo to positiveions
Quote:
The 911 models are the only ones i like. honestly the cayman is more of a chick car IMO.
Apparently, you have no idea what you are talking about.
Cayman S has a mid engine that has superior handling than a 911. I drove my cousin's Cayman S in the rain. I entered a FWY on-ramp, with a negative 90 degree turn, car was glued to the ground; unphased, unmoved, and untouched, even though I was trying to push the car to it's limit.
positiveions is offline   Lebanon
      06-18-2013, 12:52 AM   #37
Ezio
Colonel

Quote:
Originally Posted by positiveions View Post
Apparently, you have no idea what you are talking about.
Cayman S has a mid engine that has superior handling than a 911. I drove my cousin's Cayman S in the rain. I entered a FWY on-ramp, with a negative 90 degree turn, car was glued to the ground; unphased, unmoved, and untouched, even though I was trying to push the car to it's limit.
apparently you don't understand my point . I could careless how the car performs. it sounds and looks like something my sister would think looks cute.

the 911 is wide, aggressive looking, its more of a big boy toy. the cayman also the car that a person buys when they cant afford a 911.

ya its a great car i am not going to sit here and be THAT ignorant. I have never been the type of person who buys all they can for the money. a car has to sound good, look good, and perform good. IN MY OWN OPINION!
      06-18-2013, 01:43 AM   #38
positiveions
Lieutenant General

Drives: 09 MKV JETTA 2.5 & E90 M3 :)

Send a message via MSN to positiveions Send a message via Yahoo to positiveions
Quote:
apparently you don't understand my point . I could careless how the car performs. it sounds and looks like something my sister would think looks cute.

the 911 is wide, aggressive looking, its more of a big boy toy. the cayman also the car that a person buys when they cant afford a 911.

ya its a great car i am not going to sit here and be THAT ignorant. I have never been the type of person who buys all they can for the money. a car has to sound good, look good, and perform good. IN MY OWN OPINION!
The only reason I would buy a cayman S over 911 is not because of affordability; rather, it's the performance aspect.
Thus far, i've seen more chicks drive a 911 over a cayman. Does that mean a 911 is a chick's car? What's the point?
positiveions is offline   Lebanon
      06-18-2013, 01:52 AM   #39
Ezio
Colonel

Quote:
Originally Posted by positiveions View Post
The only reason I would buy a cayman S over 911 is not because of affordability; rather, it's the performance aspect.
Thus far, i've seen more chicks drive a 911 over a cayman. Does that mean a 911 is a chick's car? What's the point?
you live in CA.... i am sure you see girls driving a lot of cars. lol

we see things a different way.... whatever.....
      06-18-2013, 02:37 AM   #40
LarThaL
Colonel

Drives: 2011 M3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Team Plutonium View Post

I just made that move, and I agree that the 911S is in another league, if it is worth the extra $50K (as Wolf already mentioned) is subjective.

Is it worth $50K more? The brain will say 'no', and the heart will say 'yes'. Because the 911 is more than just stats and data, it is the feel, the unmatched pedigree, and history.

I grew up in Germany and had a 911 poster hanging over my bed, once in a while I'd see one around town and on the Autobahn, it was a "realistic" super car, one that actually exists, yet it was always an event for me seeing one.

So yes, for me it is worth it the $50K (and some) more over the M3. But if you just look at the numbers and leave the emotions out of it the answer is 'no' IMHO.

Buying the 991S made me realize two things: How much I adore the 911 and what a glorious car it is, and how great and fantastic the M3 was for the price.
Yes and Yes !!! In my test drives of the 991S, I have concluded exactly these two things. What the M3 is, is a benchmark for the performance car with practicality. The 911 is simply the most iconic sports car of all time.

That said, I would take a Cayman S over the base 911.

06-18-2013, 05:48 AM   #41
F1Venom
Captain

Drives: ZCP E90 M3

I'm sure you could find a slightly used 991S for the price of a new C2, if not less. That's the route I'd go.
      06-18-2013, 07:15 AM   #42
apexkingjusto
Second Lieutenant

Drives: E90 M3, 500HP S2000, and WRX

I think this thread and I'm sure many others here are more about self realization and or standing up for who you are. It seems we have a few types of folks here.

Type 1. Pure gear head track guy - it's all all about all around performance
Type 2. Fast car rights high HP coupled with a fancy badge, looks, sound mr.cool
Type 3. All around combo of the two
      06-18-2013, 11:04 AM   #43
LarThaL
Colonel

Drives: 2011 M3

Quote:
Originally Posted by apexkingjusto View Post
I think this thread and I'm sure many others here are more about self realization and or standing up for who you are. It seems we have a few types of folks here.

Type 1. Pure gear head track guy - it's all all about all around performance
Type 2. Fast car rights high HP coupled with a fancy badge, looks, sound mr.cool
Type 3. All around combo of the two
Type 4. Superb all around performance with refinement

06-18-2013, 11:55 AM   #44
Z K
Colonel

Drives: E90 M3

Quote:
Originally Posted by LarThaL View Post
That said, I would take a Cayman S over the base 911.
Yes!

The Cayman S is more balanced and feels much more nimble and rewarding to drive.

I could care less if other people think it's a girl's car. It's a great car. Miatas are considered a chick car too but it is the #1 car people race on track because it is a great balanced car.