BMW M3 Forum (E90 E92)

BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read


Go Back   M3Post - BMW M3 Forum > BIMMERPOST Universal Forums > Off-Topic Discussions Board > Video + PC Gaming / Computing
 
Race Precision Motorsport
Post Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
      12-06-2013, 12:46 PM   #23
radiantm3
Apex Everything!
 
radiantm3's Avatar
 
Drives: >1000 HP in my garage
Join Date: Sep 2008
Location: Danville, CA

Posts: 3,801
iTrader: (6)

Garage List
2011 E92 M3  [4.80]
2013 BMW X5M  [4.33]
Quote:
Originally Posted by nullrouted View Post
Interesting review, I've only played the GT series, no Forza, so I'll definitely have to pick up a copy if its as realistic as you're saying. Right now I'm All-PS3, I've got GT6 on order from Amazon already, Dec 6th can't come soon enough!
Forza is not more realistic. It just plays better with a controller. It also has better sound and graphics are a little crisper, but track renderings are not as realistic. If you play with a real sim setup (900 degree wheel/pedals), it becomes really clear that GT5/6 is far more realistic than Forza when it comes to physics.
__________________
(1:40 @ Laguna Seca, 2:03 @ Thunderhill, 1:52 @ Infineon)
radiantm3 is offline   United_States
0
Reply With Quote
      12-06-2013, 11:55 PM   #24
Endless619
DHS
 
Endless619's Avatar
 
Drives: bmw x5, m3, Acura TL
Join Date: Oct 2010
Location: Disneyland

Posts: 3,929
iTrader: (14)

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by radiantm3 View Post
Forza is not more realistic. It just plays better with a controller. It also has better sound and graphics are a little crisper, but track renderings are not as realistic. If you play with a real sim setup (900 degree wheel/pedals), it becomes really clear that GT5/6 is far more realistic than Forza when it comes to physics.
In reality it is. Have to disagree with you here. Been through all the GT games. Tracks are laser recorded to the exact T. Infact there are areas on the tracks that none of the GT games have had and the attention to detail is now there. The cars are more realistic so there is no clear BEST car. Its all about tuning, track conditions, class, weight, you name it. GT is like Call of Duty. So run and gun.

Don't get me wrong I am a PS3 owner and GT owner and have been for years. Forza has raised the bar.

The negative about it is the amount of tracks and cars at release. To me thats the only real negative.

I would recommend you log some serious hours on it and then come back to us.
Endless619 is offline   Spain
0
Reply With Quote
      12-07-2013, 12:07 AM   #25
radiantm3
Apex Everything!
 
radiantm3's Avatar
 
Drives: >1000 HP in my garage
Join Date: Sep 2008
Location: Danville, CA

Posts: 3,801
iTrader: (6)

Garage List
2011 E92 M3  [4.80]
2013 BMW X5M  [4.33]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Endless619 View Post
In reality it is. Have to disagree with you here. Been through all the GT games. Tracks are laser recorded to the exact T. Infact there are areas on the tracks that none of the GT games have had and the attention to detail is now there. The cars are more realistic so there is no clear BEST car. Its all about tuning, track conditions, class, weight, you name it. GT is like Call of Duty. So run and gun.

Don't get me wrong I am a PS3 owner and GT owner and have been for years. Forza has raised the bar.

The negative about it is the amount of tracks and cars at release. To me thats the only real negative.

I would recommend you log some serious hours on it and then come back to us.
I've logged serious hours into both games. In fact, I first bought my fanatec setup for Forza. I thought the same way you did. Forza looks, sounds, and plays much better than the GT series. That is until I started going to the track. Then I noticed how fake Forza felt. All of the "driving skills" I was learning at the track would not translate at all in the game. One day I went back and gave GT5 a try and was amazed at how everything I learned at the track translated surprisingly well in the game. The more I went to laguna seca, the more the same track in Forza didn't feel right. So I dumped that game and played a lot of LS in GT5. My car control and times started to improve significantly at the real track with all the time I was logging in GT5 in parallel.

So that's how I know GT5 is a much more realistic simulator. Driving back to back on the same race track in real life and in both games showed me which one was more realistic. But you are right about one thing. Forza has better presentation, sounds, car damage, and graphics. It really makes you think it is a far superior game and for many it probably is. But compared to real track time, GT5/6 is just better than Forza hands down. In the end, it's all about what you want in a game.
__________________
(1:40 @ Laguna Seca, 2:03 @ Thunderhill, 1:52 @ Infineon)
radiantm3 is offline   United_States
0
Reply With Quote
      12-07-2013, 05:23 PM   #26
Gizm0
Major
 
Gizm0's Avatar
 
Drives: 08 e92 335i 6mt
Join Date: Jan 2013
Location: Virginia

Posts: 1,348
iTrader: (1)

WTF?? This happened during a race this afternoon. This lancer has some serious grip and brakes...

__________________
mtec AE - Paintend Side Markers - Aero Lip - 35% tint - BMW Rear Deck Spoiler - JB4 - VRSF 3" DP - BMS DCI - ER CP - Tial BOV
Gizm0 is offline   United_States
0
Reply With Quote
      12-08-2013, 03:00 AM   #27
Endless619
DHS
 
Endless619's Avatar
 
Drives: bmw x5, m3, Acura TL
Join Date: Oct 2010
Location: Disneyland

Posts: 3,929
iTrader: (14)

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by radiantm3 View Post
I've logged serious hours into both games. In fact, I first bought my fanatec setup for Forza. I thought the same way you did. Forza looks, sounds, and plays much better than the GT series. That is until I started going to the track. Then I noticed how fake Forza felt. All of the "driving skills" I was learning at the track would not translate at all in the game. One day I went back and gave GT5 a try and was amazed at how everything I learned at the track translated surprisingly well in the game. The more I went to laguna seca, the more the same track in Forza didn't feel right. So I dumped that game and played a lot of LS in GT5. My car control and times started to improve significantly at the real track with all the time I was logging in GT5 in parallel.

So that's how I know GT5 is a much more realistic simulator. Driving back to back on the same race track in real life and in both games showed me which one was more realistic. But you are right about one thing. Forza has better presentation, sounds, car damage, and graphics. It really makes you think it is a far superior game and for many it probably is. But compared to real track time, GT5/6 is just better than Forza hands down. In the end, it's all about what you want in a game.

Fair enough. In the end both are video games and we both can agree on that. You either like one or the other for what they offer.

I just played GT5 and Forza 5. GT5 has an old and outdated feel still and the cars are very easy to handle, thus me sticking with Forza 5 as the superior game. Forza is much harder to master cars and not so run and gun like GT. Whats funny is I felt like you last year with GT5. Not so much now…

Anyway..
Endless619 is offline   Spain
0
Reply With Quote
      12-08-2013, 03:03 AM   #28
Endless619
DHS
 
Endless619's Avatar
 
Drives: bmw x5, m3, Acura TL
Join Date: Oct 2010
Location: Disneyland

Posts: 3,929
iTrader: (14)

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gizm0 View Post
WTF?? This happened during a race this afternoon. This lancer has some serious grip and brakes...

How can you play like that? OMG horrible….
Endless619 is offline   Spain
0
Reply With Quote
      12-08-2013, 11:37 AM   #29
radiantm3
Apex Everything!
 
radiantm3's Avatar
 
Drives: >1000 HP in my garage
Join Date: Sep 2008
Location: Danville, CA

Posts: 3,801
iTrader: (6)

Garage List
2011 E92 M3  [4.80]
2013 BMW X5M  [4.33]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Endless619 View Post
How can you play like that? OMG horrible….
That happens in fora 5 as well. Your world is shattered!
I've seen a video of it done in real life too.
__________________
(1:40 @ Laguna Seca, 2:03 @ Thunderhill, 1:52 @ Infineon)
radiantm3 is offline   United_States
0
Reply With Quote
      12-08-2013, 01:39 PM   #30
Gizm0
Major
 
Gizm0's Avatar
 
Drives: 08 e92 335i 6mt
Join Date: Jan 2013
Location: Virginia

Posts: 1,348
iTrader: (1)

Quote:
Originally Posted by radiantm3 View Post
I've seen a video of it done in real life too.

Me too

Gizm0 is offline   United_States
0
Reply With Quote
      12-09-2013, 09:50 AM   #31
Justin Case
Private First Class
 
Drives: E92 M3 M-Performance
Join Date: Dec 2013
Location: Garage

Posts: 102
iTrader: (0)

Really enjoying GT6 so far. Don't have to sit around and wait as long as you did in GT5, which makes it a lot more enjoyable. Nicely lade out, very clear.

The actual driving I think is miles better, you can actually feel the car more and what it's up to.

Going to enjoy this for a good couple of years!
Justin Case is offline  
0
Reply With Quote
      12-09-2013, 06:27 PM   #32
GoKuA
Second Lieutenant
 
GoKuA's Avatar
 
Drives: 2015 M4 DCT
Join Date: Feb 2011
Location: Los Angeles, CA

Posts: 215
iTrader: (7)

Anyone noticed the color mismatch between space grey and silverstone II on E92 M3?
GoKuA is offline  
0
Reply With Quote
      12-10-2013, 03:04 PM   #33
drchuck72
First Lieutenant
 
drchuck72's Avatar
 
Drives: 2009 BMW M3 Coupe
Join Date: Jan 2011
Location: Toronto, ON

Posts: 371
iTrader: (8)

No McLaren in GT6! WTF?!!!

I guess MS paid big bucks for exclusivity of the P1. No LaFerrari in GT6 either! WAHHHHH!
__________________
DR CHUCK
2009 E92 M3 Le Mans Blau on Schwartz. DCT. RAC RG63, KW V3, Eisenmann Race, AP Racing, Vorsteiner GTS5 Front Bumper, Vorsteiner GTS-V Rear Diffuser.
drchuck72 is offline   Canada
0
Reply With Quote
      12-10-2013, 05:56 PM   #34
positiveions
Lieutenant General
 
positiveions's Avatar
 
Drives: 09 MKV JETTA 2.5 & E90 M3 :)
Join Date: Sep 2007
Location: La Verne, CA

Posts: 10,462
iTrader: (1)

Send a message via MSN to positiveions Send a message via Yahoo to positiveions
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gizm0 View Post
Me too
positiveions is offline   Lebanon
0
Reply With Quote
      12-11-2013, 07:36 AM   #35
Sylon
Brigadier General
 
Sylon's Avatar
 
Drives: 2011 135i, SG/CR, 6MT, M-Sport
Join Date: Apr 2010
Location: Michigan / Ohio

Posts: 3,408
iTrader: (0)

Garage List
2011 135i  [4.60]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gizm0 View Post
WTF?? This happened during a race this afternoon. This lancer has some serious grip and brakes...


LOL, I had a Golf in front of me that did that.


I'm liking GT6, but I'm not loving it. Doesn't feel like a whole new game, just feels like an extension of GT5. The exhaust audio is terrible. Graphics are pretty nice, but you can only imagine how amazing they would be on the PS4. I like the added touches to tracks, like a guy waving a checkered flag at the finish line. Birds and blimps flying in the air. Stuff like that is pretty cool to see. But besides that, this game makes you feel like it could have been so much better.

And we don't need pages of Mazda Miatas!!! Reduce the damn car count and improve the interiors and exhaust notes!
__________________

2011 BMW 135i | Space Gray | ///M-Sport | BMW CCA #450291
Facebook / Instagram / YouTube / Twitter
Sylon is offline   United_States
0
Reply With Quote
      12-11-2013, 03:44 PM   #36
drchuck72
First Lieutenant
 
drchuck72's Avatar
 
Drives: 2009 BMW M3 Coupe
Join Date: Jan 2011
Location: Toronto, ON

Posts: 371
iTrader: (8)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sylon View Post
LOL, I had a Golf in front of me that did that.


I'm liking GT6, but I'm not loving it. Doesn't feel like a whole new game, just feels like an extension of GT5. The exhaust audio is terrible. Graphics are pretty nice, but you can only imagine how amazing they would be on the PS4. I like the added touches to tracks, like a guy waving a checkered flag at the finish line. Birds and blimps flying in the air. Stuff like that is pretty cool to see. But besides that, this game makes you feel like it could have been so much better.

And we don't need pages of Mazda Miatas!!! Reduce the damn car count and improve the interiors and exhaust notes!
I agree. It isn't the quantum leap that GT5 was from GT4 (admittedly, a shift in platform didn't hurt). It's like I'm starting over again in GT5 with marginally better graphics and fewer opponents. Of course, now, when you start from the back of the field, you only have to overtake 5 other cars instead of 11.

Not really impressed with the car lineup either. The Honda Dealership is ridiculous.

On a side note, I replaced the Logitech G27 that came with my playseat with the Thrustmaster T500RS that I bought 3 years ago that I kept at the office. It really freshened up the playing experience on GT5 for me. I just ordered a Fanatec CSR wheel to use with my XBOX360 so I can make a more apples to apples comparison. I got the adapter so I can use my G27 pedals with the Fanatec Wheel.

After reading the commentary so far, I'll be interested to see how Forza feels with a steering wheel. Personally, I prefer the navigation on GT5. I just like to pick and choose my races. Sometimes I like to be like Seb and take a world beating car into a race and smoke everybody else. Yeah, I said it!
__________________
DR CHUCK
2009 E92 M3 Le Mans Blau on Schwartz. DCT. RAC RG63, KW V3, Eisenmann Race, AP Racing, Vorsteiner GTS5 Front Bumper, Vorsteiner GTS-V Rear Diffuser.
drchuck72 is offline   Canada
0
Reply With Quote
      12-11-2013, 04:11 PM   #37
Gizm0
Major
 
Gizm0's Avatar
 
Drives: 08 e92 335i 6mt
Join Date: Jan 2013
Location: Virginia

Posts: 1,348
iTrader: (1)

Here is what I miss the most from GT5... Online Shuffle races.

For those of you who don't know what it is, in shuffle races, you did not get to pick your car. The PS3 picked the car for you and all the other drivers in the room within the same performance brackets. The cars were stock, equipped with comfort soft tires or sports hard tires so you didn't end up with "go kart grip". Typically these rooms were always almost full, with great drivers and I always ended up having some epic races on there.

See below a replay of one of those races. Polyphony Digital needs to bring that back to GT6

__________________
mtec AE - Paintend Side Markers - Aero Lip - 35% tint - BMW Rear Deck Spoiler - JB4 - VRSF 3" DP - BMS DCI - ER CP - Tial BOV
Gizm0 is offline   United_States
0
Reply With Quote
      12-12-2013, 09:33 AM   #38
Gizm0
Major
 
Gizm0's Avatar
 
Drives: 08 e92 335i 6mt
Join Date: Jan 2013
Location: Virginia

Posts: 1,348
iTrader: (1)

BMW M4 Coupe now available in GT6...

http://www.gtplanet.net/bmw-m4-now-a...ran-turismo-6/

Gizm0 is offline   United_States
0
Reply With Quote
      12-14-2013, 10:52 PM   #39
Endless619
DHS
 
Endless619's Avatar
 
Drives: bmw x5, m3, Acura TL
Join Date: Oct 2010
Location: Disneyland

Posts: 3,929
iTrader: (14)

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gizm0 View Post
BMW M4 Coupe now available in GT6...

http://www.gtplanet.net/bmw-m4-now-a...ran-turismo-6/

Its in one of the packs coming next month plus in Forza games you don't have that cheesy front plate. You get the option to have a plate or not and any country or state.
Endless619 is offline   Spain
0
Reply With Quote
      12-15-2013, 11:18 PM   #40
SJTrance
Registered
 
Drives: 2002 Ducati 900 Supersport
Join Date: Jun 2013
Location: NYC

Posts: 1
iTrader: (0)

I've had pretty much every GT game including the last GT5. With the GT5, I got a steering wheel and a stow away setup that I can use on my couch. The game relatively felt the same to me as GT4 until I got that wheel. The issue with GT6 is that they got the driving mechanics sooo right, that there isn't that much to be improved on with game play. I mean, it's pretty damned realistic so what do you change? I ended up selling the game and wheel in the end because I wasn't playing it. In the future when I'm not living in a cramped studio, I might get a proper setup with seat and wheel and restart the game with GT6 or 7 or 10 or whatever is the current game at that time.

It's a problem that I'm having with a bunch of games recently. Graphics are better but actual game play isn't that innovative anymore. See the Assassin's creed and Grand Theft Auto V as examples.
SJTrance is offline  
0
Reply With Quote
      12-16-2013, 03:59 AM   #41
Gizm0
Major
 
Gizm0's Avatar
 
Drives: 08 e92 335i 6mt
Join Date: Jan 2013
Location: Virginia

Posts: 1,348
iTrader: (1)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Endless619 View Post
Its in one of the packs coming next month plus in Forza games you don't have that cheesy front plate. You get the option to have a plate or not and any country or state.
With which license plate is the car faster?
Gizm0 is offline   United_States
0
Reply With Quote
      12-19-2013, 10:10 PM   #42
kyleb350
Brigadier General
 
kyleb350's Avatar
 
Drives: F30 335i M-Sport
Join Date: Jun 2008
Location: LoMbard, IL

Posts: 4,170
iTrader: (6)

I've played the game for a few days now and like some of the new events you can play. I have a new definition of frustration, and it is playing the Goodwood Festival of Speed challenge with the X2010.
kyleb350 is offline   United_States
0
Reply With Quote
      01-02-2014, 06:31 AM   #43
HFW003
Major
 
HFW003's Avatar
 
Drives: Havana 328 Modern Line
Join Date: Apr 2013
Location: Newcastle, Australia

Posts: 1,141
iTrader: (0)

I assume you guys get the same game over there so make sure you have a look at the Bathurst track. One of the great road tracks of the world.
__________________
2013 Havana 328 Modern Line with Xenons,HK stereo, Sports seats, Sunroof, Pro Nav, VSS, adaptive suspension, 19" 401's and other bits and pieces.
HFW003 is offline   Australia
0
Reply With Quote
      01-20-2014, 12:30 AM   #44
kyleb350
Brigadier General
 
kyleb350's Avatar
 
Drives: F30 335i M-Sport
Join Date: Jun 2008
Location: LoMbard, IL

Posts: 4,170
iTrader: (6)

I was bored and decided to buy the new Toyota FT-1 in the game hoping that I'd be able to see some stats on the car once bought. Nope, not a damn thing is revealed. The only thing I can see is that the car has 551 PP (performance points), which slots it between a Gallardo and a 458, and also that the car is turbo charged. I was able to crank off a very nice lap at the Nurburgring in 7:15 or so with some soft racing tires. This is a few seconds quicker than a ZR1 (which happens to have 574PP in GT6). I know that's a ridiculously fast time for even a race car. Maybe I should try it with sports tires for a more realistic time. The car tops out at 186 mph (red line limited). I'm thinking this might have a turbo 8 more than a turbo 6. I shouldn't really be jumping to any conclusions on this car since it's still an early concept.

BTW, the game doesn't allow you to modify it either
kyleb350 is offline   United_States
0
Reply With Quote
Post Reply

Bookmarks

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Forum Jump


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 05:40 PM.




m3post
Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.7.0
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
1Addicts.com, BIMMERPOST.com, E90Post.com, F30Post.com, M3Post.com, ZPost.com, 5Post.com, 6Post.com, 7Post.com, XBimmers.com logo and trademark are properties of BIMMERPOST