BMW M3 Forum (E90 E92)

BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read


Go Back   M3Post - BMW M3 Forum > E90/E92 M3 Technical Topics > Wash, Wax, Detail, Cosmetic Maintenance & Repairs
 
BPM Sport
Post Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
      06-16-2013, 02:24 PM   #45
M3 Piotr
Lieutenant Colonel
 
M3 Piotr's Avatar
 
Drives: E90 M3 Frozen Black
Join Date: Apr 2007
Location: K-Town, Germany / Andrews AFB, MD

Posts: 1,710
iTrader: (1)

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by Genro757 View Post
Not necessarily an answer to your question, but BMW will be releasing a "touch up kit" in the near future for Frozen paint...hopefully it wont blob up and require "semi-professional" paint techniques to apply, but might be an alternative to full panel repainting. I've got a couple nicks here and there from spirited driving on the Autobahn...the front is fully wrapped in Broxafol paint protection film for matte/frozen paint...but still managed to get a couple random "scratches" that only I notice...hopefully this future BMW product works out.
Gennaro,
the touch up kit is already available. David got me one as soon as my Frozen Black was delivered (Oct 2011). It is pricey..180 Euro for a small box with two tubes.
__________________

2011 E90 M3 Frozen Black (1 of 1)
///M Flight
M3 Piotr is offline   Poland
0
Reply With Quote
      06-16-2013, 02:27 PM   #46
Genro757
///M-Flight VP
 
Genro757's Avatar
 
Drives: '13 Frozen Red Edition E92 M3
Join Date: Oct 2008
Location: NOVA/Virginia Beach, VA

Posts: 670
iTrader: (0)

Garage List
2013 E92 M3  [0.00]
Ahhhh touché...I was told it wasn't available yet..maybe for my color it wasn't out.
__________________
2013 "Frozen Red Edition" E92 M3, M-DCT with all the 'fixin's, Akrapovic Evolution w/CF Tips, BPM Stage 2 Tune, BPM DCT Software
Genro757 is offline   United_States
0
Reply With Quote
      06-16-2013, 02:32 PM   #47
M3 Piotr
Lieutenant Colonel
 
M3 Piotr's Avatar
 
Drives: E90 M3 Frozen Black
Join Date: Apr 2007
Location: K-Town, Germany / Andrews AFB, MD

Posts: 1,710
iTrader: (1)

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by Genro757 View Post
Ahhhh touché...I was told it wasn't available yet..maybe for my color it wasn't out.
BMW makes touch up paints for any colors that they make. Some one is misinformed. Ask Sascha...he'll get you one.
__________________

2011 E90 M3 Frozen Black (1 of 1)
///M Flight
M3 Piotr is offline   Poland
0
Reply With Quote
      06-29-2013, 11:10 PM   #48
akioo
Enlisted Member
 
akioo's Avatar
 
Drives: 2013 Frozen White
Join Date: Mar 2013
Location: Irvine, CA

Posts: 34
iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by M3 Piotr View Post
BMW makes touch up paints for any colors that they make. Some one is misinformed. Ask Sascha...he'll get you one.
Did they make a frozen white touch up paint? I've been looking everywhere, even my local dealer, and they say it doesn't exist. How do I get a hold of Sascha?
akioo is offline   United_States
0
Reply With Quote
      06-29-2013, 11:48 PM   #49
akioo
Enlisted Member
 
akioo's Avatar
 
Drives: 2013 Frozen White
Join Date: Mar 2013
Location: Irvine, CA

Posts: 34
iTrader: (0)

Dr. Beasley Matte Paint Prescription

Up until today, I've been following BMW's recommendation to only use their authorized shampoo for washing my frozen white. After about 1500 miles, I began to notice misc blemishes around the car. (I usually keep the car very clean washing once a week) For example, hard water stain drip marks on both side sills, areas which looked "dirty" or brown from some type of contamination, and several scuff marks.

The normal shampoo wash wouldn't get these out and I didn't want to give them too much "attention" in fear of creating a shiny spot.

After doing some research, I decided to order the Dr. Beasley's Matte Paint Prescription. They have tons of current articles, blogs, and video's which made me feel comfortable with their system. Their customer service is top notch as well, they were able to answer all my questions quickly and thoroughly.

After spending most of the afternoon using their full 4 step system, all I can say it WOW...all the issues came right out with very little effort! I also applied their sealant, which I was hesitant about. The results look fantastic with a nice even finish and no additional sheen. I'm planning to write up a full review with all the pics I took along the way, however here's a sample of the before and afters...

Hard water stains on both driver and passenger sills:




Scuffs:




Misc dirty marks (hard to see) - was only able to visibly capture one on the door, but there were 2 more on the trunk area



Hard water marks and scuffs no more






Dirty brown marks all gone!


I was definitely skeptical about using anything other than what BMW had recommended, but I'm fully satisfied with the results. Will be using this going forward.

Tyson
akioo is offline   United_States
0
Reply With Quote
      07-01-2013, 01:59 PM   #50
M3 Piotr
Lieutenant Colonel
 
M3 Piotr's Avatar
 
Drives: E90 M3 Frozen Black
Join Date: Apr 2007
Location: K-Town, Germany / Andrews AFB, MD

Posts: 1,710
iTrader: (1)

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by akioo View Post
Did they make a frozen white touch up paint? I've been looking everywhere, even my local dealer, and they say it doesn't exist. How do I get a hold of Sascha?
Sascha is a guy in Germany that works for US Military Sales (Pentagon Car Sales). Let me go take a picture and post a part number.
Attached Images
 
__________________

2011 E90 M3 Frozen Black (1 of 1)
///M Flight

Last edited by M3 Piotr; 07-01-2013 at 02:42 PM.
M3 Piotr is offline   Poland
0
Reply With Quote
      07-01-2013, 02:29 PM   #51
Hyperjack
Captain
 
Drives: 2013 M3 E92/ 2012 Chevy Volt
Join Date: Mar 2013
Location: California

Posts: 786
iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by akioo View Post
.........I was definitely skeptical about using anything other than what BMW had recommended, but I'm fully satisfied with the results. Will be using this going forward.

Tyson
that's a great write up...thanks!

sounds like a good product. i was thinking between this and swisswax's product line. now you've given me reason to consider this...
Hyperjack is offline  
0
Reply With Quote
      07-01-2013, 05:47 PM   #52
akioo
Enlisted Member
 
akioo's Avatar
 
Drives: 2013 Frozen White
Join Date: Mar 2013
Location: Irvine, CA

Posts: 34
iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by M3 Piotr View Post
Sascha is a guy in Germany that works for US Military Sales (Pentagon Car Sales). Let me go take a picture and post a part number.
Thank you!

I'll see if I can track down frozen white.
__________________

2013 Frozen White | DCT
akioo is offline   United_States
0
Reply With Quote
      07-01-2013, 07:55 PM   #53
Rated R
First Lieutenant
 
Rated R's Avatar
 
Drives: 2011 Porsche GT3
Join Date: Jul 2013
Location: Sherhood, OR.

Posts: 346
iTrader: (0)

There's a frozen blue on the showroom floor at my dealer. Makes me weak in the knees.
__________________
'11 Porsche GT3 (Sold)
Rated R is offline  
0
Reply With Quote
      07-01-2013, 09:39 PM   #54
Hyperjack
Captain
 
Drives: 2013 M3 E92/ 2012 Chevy Volt
Join Date: Mar 2013
Location: California

Posts: 786
iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rated R View Post
There's a frozen blue on the showroom floor at my dealer. Makes me weak in the knees.
you should go for it.
Hyperjack is offline  
0
Reply With Quote
      07-01-2013, 11:04 PM   #55
Rated R
First Lieutenant
 
Rated R's Avatar
 
Drives: 2011 Porsche GT3
Join Date: Jul 2013
Location: Sherhood, OR.

Posts: 346
iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hyperjack View Post
you should go for it.
I could if I sold the GT3.
__________________
'11 Porsche GT3 (Sold)
Rated R is offline  
0
Reply With Quote
      07-02-2013, 01:44 AM   #56
Hyperjack
Captain
 
Drives: 2013 M3 E92/ 2012 Chevy Volt
Join Date: Mar 2013
Location: California

Posts: 786
iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rated R View Post
I could if I sold the GT3.
ahh...i see, i've heard about the GT3.

are you in the process of selling it privately?

or were you considering a trade in? it has 4k in miles, right? could still have a lot of value in it....even though a dealer would lowball you on it.
Hyperjack is offline  
0
Reply With Quote
      07-02-2013, 09:07 AM   #57
Rated R
First Lieutenant
 
Rated R's Avatar
 
Drives: 2011 Porsche GT3
Join Date: Jul 2013
Location: Sherhood, OR.

Posts: 346
iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hyperjack View Post
ahh...i see, i've heard about the GT3.

are you in the process of selling it privately?

or were you considering a trade in? it has 4k in miles, right? could still have a lot of value in it....even though a dealer would lowball you on it.
Still considering. I could sell it relatively quickly for $105 but the right person would see the value in the low mileage and extra year of warranty for $111K or so.

That frozen blue M3 is an awesome looking car. I wonder about the longevity of the paint however. The sticker is $82K iirc. It's also the last of the line and I'd have to get it for cost, no question about it. When the M4 is out next year the value of this frozen blue car will tank. This time next year the same car will be worth $55K.
__________________
'11 Porsche GT3 (Sold)
Rated R is offline  
0
Reply With Quote
      07-02-2013, 09:46 AM   #58
RingMeister01
Colonel
 
RingMeister01's Avatar
 
Drives: For the love of it
Join Date: Dec 2012
Location: Long Island, NY

Posts: 2,351
iTrader: (0)

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by M3 Piotr
Quote:
Originally Posted by akioo View Post
Did they make a frozen white touch up paint? I've been looking everywhere, even my local dealer, and they say it doesn't exist. How do I get a hold of Sascha?
Sascha is a guy in Germany that works for US Military Sales (Pentagon Car Sales). Let me go take a picture and post a part number.
Aaawwweeesssooomee.
__________________
F82 M4 Individual / F87 M2 (on the list) / E36 M3 (track) / E21 320i (S52 + Getrag 420G Swap) / RR Sport (daily)
RingMeister01 is offline   United_States
0
Reply With Quote
      07-02-2013, 11:05 AM   #59
Hyperjack
Captain
 
Drives: 2013 M3 E92/ 2012 Chevy Volt
Join Date: Mar 2013
Location: California

Posts: 786
iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rated R View Post
...That frozen blue M3 is an awesome looking car. I wonder about the longevity of the paint however.....
for the answer to that you simply have to look through this thread. theses paint jobs have a clear coat like any regular paint job....and they are as durable as them as well. so longevity is just like any other car. no added worries.

the pros are easier car care with no wax involved, the paint also hides scratches and swirls better due to the nature of the clear coat . the only negative is that a Frozen paint job is more expensive to repair.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rated R View Post
.... The sticker is $82K iirc. It's also the last of the line and I'd have to get it for cost, no question about it. When the M4 is out next year the value of this frozen blue car will tank. This time next year the same car will be worth $55K.
if cost is invoice or lower, then you obviously have an exceptional deal. those frozen special editions also have the matching stitching which i believe is undervalued in that package.

however if you look at the E92 losing value when the M4 will come out....if that's how you look at this car, then this is not worth it to you. these will be two different cars....and if numbers are all you see and if you want the latest and greatest, then the M4 will be a better bet for you.

however, the M4 will probably be priced with a premium mark up and will have all the problems of a first generation performance car. not worth it to me.

IMO, the E92 is only worth buying for people who like this particular engine, or anything specific to this car and maybe have a value for M history and
heritage.it's also my opinion that it's a car that can have some future value some 20-30 years down the road due to it's significance in BMW and M history.
Hyperjack is offline  
0
Reply With Quote
      07-05-2013, 06:56 AM   #60
Kung Fu English
Second Lieutenant
 
Kung Fu English's Avatar
 
Drives: 2013 Interlagos Blue M3
Join Date: Jun 2013
Location: Kalamazoo, MI

Posts: 233
iTrader: (2)

My opinion on the Frozen paint (which I passed on a Frozen Blue last week and instead opted for my Interlagos) is that for most people on this forum and many enthusiasts who wash their car weekly and keep a quick detailing bottle close by, it is fine. It is especially easy if you are someone who doesn't drive the car every single day and puts the car away in the winter.

However, I know myself. Right now, less than a week after taking my new car, yes I am spraying the quick detail quite often and keeping it clean which is fine. But I know that down the line, I will stop being this meticulous. I also don't have time to put away for a hand wash every week. Once a month is pushing it as it is. As I own the car, it will get dusty and dirt will set in and I will not continue to be as meticulous as others.

This is just how I am, and I know many people are different about their cars (my next door neighbor, for example).

Due to this, I opted against the Frozen. I feel that becoming lazy is not an option and allowing dirt to settle in over a month or so will in fact ruin the paint, which is a risk I wasn't willing to take.

While letting dirt sit isn't the best idea for the glossy paints, it is still tried and true and a good claybar and wax will restore the paint. BMW makes the glossy paints on the regular 3 series's to protect from months and months of neglect, as so many regular car (see: grocery getter) owners go this long without a wash. The paint has to be able to hold up to this.

If, in fact, the matte paint can stay healthy and you are able to rejuvinate it even after a month or 2 of neglect, then I may have made a terrible mistake letting the frozen go by (though saving 10k was fine consolation). But I'm not sure I will ever know the answer to that question.
Kung Fu English is offline  
0
Reply With Quote
      07-05-2013, 07:30 AM   #61
obn
Enlisted Member
 
Drives: 2013 M3 Frozen Black Edition
Join Date: Jan 2011
Location: VIRGINIA

Posts: 34
iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by M3 Piotr View Post
Sascha is a guy in Germany that works for US Military Sales (Pentagon Car Sales). Let me go take a picture and post a part number.
thank you
__________________
2013 M3 Frozen Black Edition
obn is offline  
0
Reply With Quote
      07-05-2013, 07:46 AM   #62
Ali@BMWMt.laurel
Colonel
 
Ali@BMWMt.laurel's Avatar
 
Drives: 2015 M4
Join Date: Aug 2008
Location: United States

Posts: 2,143
iTrader: (7)

Garage List
2013 BMW 335i  [0.00]
Does anyone have a contact for Sascha or someone in europe? BMW has a MATT PAINT kit for sale there. Darn US regulations has not approved of it's sale here in the states. Someone please PM me. Thanks!
__________________
BMW of Mount Laurel - ///M Certified Client Advisor
Send Me a Message Regarding Your Next BMW!
www.BMWofMtLaurel.com
We are an M-Certified and DINAN Certified Dealer
NJ Motorsports Park Affiliated!!! PM ME FOR DETAILS
Ali@BMWMt.laurel is offline   United_States
0
Reply With Quote
      07-05-2013, 01:32 PM   #63
akioo
Enlisted Member
 
akioo's Avatar
 
Drives: 2013 Frozen White
Join Date: Mar 2013
Location: Irvine, CA

Posts: 34
iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ali@BMWMt.laurel View Post
Does anyone have a contact for Sascha or someone in europe? BMW has a MATT PAINT kit for sale there. Darn US regulations has not approved of it's sale here in the states. Someone please PM me. Thanks!
Same here please, thanks!
akioo is offline   United_States
0
Reply With Quote
      07-06-2013, 11:03 PM   #64
nyannitello
New Member
 
Drives: 2011 AW M3 Sedan
Join Date: Oct 2011
Location: United States

Posts: 20
iTrader: (0)

I would love info/contact as well!
nyannitello is offline  
0
Reply With Quote
      07-09-2013, 02:07 PM   #65
nyannitello
New Member
 
Drives: 2011 AW M3 Sedan
Join Date: Oct 2011
Location: United States

Posts: 20
iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by akioo View Post
Up until today, I've been following BMW's recommendation to only use their authorized shampoo for washing my frozen white. After about 1500 miles, I began to notice misc blemishes around the car. (I usually keep the car very clean washing once a week) For example, hard water stain drip marks on both side sills, areas which looked "dirty" or brown from some type of contamination, and several scuff marks.

The normal shampoo wash wouldn't get these out and I didn't want to give them too much "attention" in fear of creating a shiny spot.

After doing some research, I decided to order the Dr. Beasley's Matte Paint Prescription. They have tons of current articles, blogs, and video's which made me feel comfortable with their system. Their customer service is top notch as well, they were able to answer all my questions quickly and thoroughly.

After spending most of the afternoon using their full 4 step system, all I can say it WOW...all the issues came right out with very little effort! I also applied their sealant, which I was hesitant about. The results look fantastic with a nice even finish and no additional sheen. I'm planning to write up a full review with all the pics I took along the way, however here's a sample of the before and afters...

I was definitely skeptical about using anything other than what BMW had recommended, but I'm fully satisfied with the results. Will be using this going forward.

Tyson
Thanks for the write up and post Tyson. I have ordered the same matte paint kit and will do a write with my opinion on it as well!

-Nick
nyannitello is offline  
0
Reply With Quote
      07-13-2013, 11:45 AM   #66
lsal
We are all Longwong
 
lsal's Avatar
 
Drives: E92 M3 Frozen Blue
Join Date: Jul 2013
Location: Cambridge, MA

Posts: 833
iTrader: (0)

Garage List
2013 BMW M3  [5.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by nyannitello View Post
Thanks for the write up and post Tyson. I have ordered the same matte paint kit and will do a write with my opinion on it as well!

-Nick
Looking forward to reading the write-ups! I just got a Frozen Blue, and I'm absolutely anal about... Well, everything really... But especially my paint!

Ordered Swissvax kit, and plan on following the recommendations on this (and other) threads. Think I'm going to pass on xpel... Was originally going to wrap everything, but after looking at a few installations, I don't think I'll ever be happy with the outcome... 3M for track days (1200 miles seems like forever right now anyway), but I think that's going to be it...
lsal is offline  
0
Reply With Quote
Post Reply

Bookmarks

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Forum Jump


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 02:14 PM.




m3post
Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.7.0
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
1Addicts.com, BIMMERPOST.com, E90Post.com, F30Post.com, M3Post.com, ZPost.com, 5Post.com, 6Post.com, 7Post.com, XBimmers.com logo and trademark are properties of BIMMERPOST