BMW M3 Forum (E90 E92)

BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   M3Post - BMW M3 Forum > E90/E92 M3 Technical Topics > Wash, Wax, Detail, Cosmetic Maintenance & Repairs

Steve Thomas BMW

05-23-2017, 05:40 PM   #1
BlackMan
Major
Rep
Drives: SC'd 09 E92 M3

CA Car duster for very light dust pollen

Okay, did a search about this and seems that in old threads people were divided pretty evenly, either in favor of or against. I want to believe that if you have a good coat of sealant, and if you are only lightly running over the painted surfaces with the duster, that you can avoid scratching the finish. I am also assuming that you are only dusting in the event of very light dust, like that which can accumulate over night being parked in a car port. Lets rekindle this topic and get some anecdotal experiences.
Appreciate 0
      05-24-2017, 07:59 AM   #2
cclinard1
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 08 E90 M3 6MT SSII

Why not just use some type of quick detail spray or waterless car wash since both have lubrication and will not scratch the paint? Wipe in one direction and you're good.
Appreciate 1
      05-25-2017, 02:32 AM   #3
BlackMan
Major
Rep
Drives: SC'd 09 E92 M3

Quote:
Originally Posted by cclinard1 View Post
Why not just use some type of quick detail spray or waterless car wash since both have lubrication and will not scratch the paint? Wipe in one direction and you're good.
I use Meguiars quick detailer quite often, but sometimes Ive got a coat of dust which in my opinion is better removed with a very quick dusting.
Appreciate 0
      05-25-2017, 08:10 AM   #4
cclinard1
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 08 E90 M3 6MT SSII

Quote:
Originally Posted by MontegoChris View Post
I use Meguiars quick detailer quite often, but sometimes Ive got a coat of dust which in my opinion is better removed with a very quick dusting.
I'd still be concerned about the duster pushing dust into the paint. Dust can be abrasive. Here in the south we have a lot of pollen, which is much more abrasive, so I still prefer a spray with lubrication to remove anything like that. Doesn't take long and as long as the car was already clean, it looks even better after.
Appreciate 1
      05-31-2017, 03:07 PM   #5
dparm
But doctor...I am Pagliacci.
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2011.5 E90 M3

Quick detailing sprays are the way to go. They will suspend the dirt particles in the liquid, which can then be wiped off with a microfibre towel. The key is to use enough liquid and constantly flip the towel to a clean section.

I park in a big public garage and sometimes I find it's just easier to do a very quick hand wash of the car (body panels only). Depending on your specific situation, you might even be able to just blast the dust off with a hose and then drive up and down the block a few times to get the water off the car. If the car has a wax or sealant, most of it should bead right off.
      05-31-2017, 03:32 PM   #6
PandaM3
Captain
Rep
Drives:

I use it all the time... just lightly glide it over. I don't have any new scratches using the california duster. I used to use it daily when I had to park my M3 outside with a car cover. I'd get the dust off then put the car cover. The duster will attract the dust onto it. If the dust isn't coming off then you're ready for a wash at that point.
Appreciate 0