BMW M3 Forum (E90 E92)

BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read


Go Back   M3Post - BMW M3 Forum > E90/E92 M3 Technical Topics > Cosmetic/Visual (Exterior + Interior) Modifications
 
INDustry distribution
Post Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
      07-04-2013, 08:54 AM   #1
kaan1990
galatasaray
kaan1990's Avatar
Turkey
3
Rep
128
Posts

 
Drives: E92 M3 Jerez
Join Date: Dec 2012
Location: ISTANBUL/TURKEY

iTrader: (0)

Garage List
2011 7.30 LD  [0.00]
2005 6.45i  [0.00]
2009 BMW X6 3.0 XD  [0.00]
2009 BMW M3 E92  [0.00]
how am i going to paint the engine cap

i dont know if it is possible to paint but i will try can you giv me some ideas about which paint i should use.
Attached Images
 
__________________
--Galatasaray--
Appreciate 0
      07-04-2013, 09:46 AM   #2
Transfer
Lieutenant Colonel
Transfer's Avatar
United_States
24
Rep
1,689
Posts

 
Drives: SQ5, X1
Join Date: Mar 2010
Location: Seattle, WA

iTrader: (0)

Appreciate 0
      07-04-2013, 09:59 AM   #3
HoodR$CH
Lieutenant
HoodR$CH's Avatar
9
Rep
482
Posts

 
Drives: AW E92 M3
Join Date: Oct 2012
Location: Minneapolis

iTrader: (13)

Save yourself the trouble and buy one already painted by IND. If you have to ask what materials to use to paint this, its not gonna come out pretty.
__________________


Brembo BBK|BPM Tune|HRE P43 SC|BMW Performance Seats|KWV3
Appreciate 0
      07-04-2013, 10:05 AM   #4
Lorde
Ya ya ya, I am Lorde, ya ya!
Lorde's Avatar
No_Country
32
Rep
2,521
Posts

 
Drives: E90 M3, 2015 SQ5
Join Date: May 2011
Location: Snig

iTrader: (6)

Garage List
2008 BMW M3 E90  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by HoodR$CH
Save yourself the trouble and buy one already painted by IND. If you have to ask what materials to use to paint this, its not gonna come out pretty.
This, buy one from IND (check out their thread, they do great work) and you ship your manifold back to them (core charge).

If you're thinking about supercharging down the line, I would just hold off.
Appreciate 0
      07-04-2013, 10:10 AM   #5
s65e90
Banned
6
Rep
513
Posts

 
Drives: 2009 e90
Join Date: May 2013
Location: SoFlo

iTrader: (0)

So one popcorn reply and two call IND replies.

OP I am sorry some members here are sheep


If you want to paint it yourself you need to smooth the cover otherwise it'll look terrible. Bondo will get it nice and flat. If you're not comfortable doing bodywork or painting you may want to consult a body shop but its not hard at all.
Appreciate 0
      07-04-2013, 10:27 AM   #6
ibmike
What the Hell ?
ibmike's Avatar
United_States
17
Rep
1,518
Posts

 
Drives: 2011 M3 e92 DCT
Join Date: May 2013
Location: Michigan

iTrader: (6)

YUP^ IND, they'll send you one of your color combo choice and you simply send your stock one back to them. Although im not really sure what an Angine is,lol
__________________
Life's a Bitch,Just make sure that Bitch is Beautiful.
Appreciate 0
      07-04-2013, 10:59 AM   #7
s65e90
Banned
6
Rep
513
Posts

 
Drives: 2009 e90
Join Date: May 2013
Location: SoFlo

iTrader: (0)

Damn.... This post makes me wonder that if IND didn't exist what would half if this forum do? Lol.
Appreciate 0
      07-04-2013, 11:18 AM   #8
Transfer
Lieutenant Colonel
Transfer's Avatar
United_States
24
Rep
1,689
Posts

 
Drives: SQ5, X1
Join Date: Mar 2010
Location: Seattle, WA

iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by s65e90 View Post
Damn.... This post makes me wonder that if IND didn't exist what would half if this forum do? Lol.
Have nice looking stock black intake manifolds.
Appreciate 0
      07-04-2013, 02:11 PM   #9
Endless619
DHS
Endless619's Avatar
Spain
54
Rep
3,930
Posts

 
Drives: 2014 Range Rover Black Edition
Join Date: Oct 2010
Location: Disneyland

iTrader: (14)

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by s65e90 View Post
Damn.... This post makes me wonder that if IND didn't exist what would half if this forum do? Lol.
LMAO. Priceless.

We have EAS and Vivid... Never been to IND and never ordered anything from them and never will.

But you are right, its as easy as popping it off and doing it yourself or taking to a body shop. Simple.
Appreciate 0
      07-04-2013, 02:20 PM   #10
Chicken Little
Second Lieutenant
Chicken Little's Avatar
2
Rep
275
Posts

 
Drives: 2013 E92 Frozen Black
Join Date: Sep 2007
Location: Arizona

iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by HoodR$CH View Post
Save yourself the trouble and buy one already painted by IND. If you have to ask what materials to use to paint this, its not gonna come out pretty.
+1 ^
Appreciate 0
      07-05-2013, 10:05 AM   #11
HoodR$CH
Lieutenant
HoodR$CH's Avatar
9
Rep
482
Posts

 
Drives: AW E92 M3
Join Date: Oct 2012
Location: Minneapolis

iTrader: (13)

Quote:
Originally Posted by s65e90 View Post
So one popcorn reply and two call IND replies.

OP I am sorry some members here are sheep


If you want to paint it yourself you need to smooth the cover otherwise it'll look terrible. Bondo will get it nice and flat. If you're not comfortable doing bodywork or painting you may want to consult a body shop but its not hard at all.
Listen to this guy. Bondo? who uses that Macco? This isn't a Honda Civic. You are right about it not being hard to do, I'd be willing to bet I could achieve similar results to what IND does by myself. This guy obv has no clue and neither do you. Its gonna look like shit if he doesn't have a clue where to start. This is plastic, not metal. Were you planning on using an adhesion promotor? What primer do you suggest the OP uses so that the paint doesn't sink into the plastic? What grit/s paper do you suggest he uses? You really are suggesting that he should "Bondo" his entire manifold to get it smooth? lol
__________________


Brembo BBK|BPM Tune|HRE P43 SC|BMW Performance Seats|KWV3
Appreciate 0
      07-05-2013, 10:09 AM   #12
HoodR$CH
Lieutenant
HoodR$CH's Avatar
9
Rep
482
Posts

 
Drives: AW E92 M3
Join Date: Oct 2012
Location: Minneapolis

iTrader: (13)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Endless619 View Post
LMAO. Priceless.

We have EAS and Vivid... Never been to IND and never ordered anything from them and never will.

But you are right, its as easy as popping it off and doing it yourself or taking to a body shop. Simple.
I'd like to see some of these garage paint jobs you guys are doing on your stock intake manifolds.

Unless you have painting experience or a buddy that does, i wouldn't suggest this project for a DIY even as easy as it looks.
__________________


Brembo BBK|BPM Tune|HRE P43 SC|BMW Performance Seats|KWV3
Appreciate 0
      07-05-2013, 10:46 AM   #13
Lorde
Ya ya ya, I am Lorde, ya ya!
Lorde's Avatar
No_Country
32
Rep
2,521
Posts

 
Drives: E90 M3, 2015 SQ5
Join Date: May 2011
Location: Snig

iTrader: (6)

Garage List
2008 BMW M3 E90  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by HoodR$CH View Post
I'd like to see some of these garage paint jobs you guys are doing on your stock intake manifolds.

Unless you have painting experience or a buddy that does, i wouldn't suggest this project for a DIY even as easy as it looks.
Appreciate 0
      07-05-2013, 11:00 AM   #14
HoodR$CH
Lieutenant
HoodR$CH's Avatar
9
Rep
482
Posts

 
Drives: AW E92 M3
Join Date: Oct 2012
Location: Minneapolis

iTrader: (13)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Snig View Post
Why did you quote what I said and then post this pic?
Clearly this was done by IND.
__________________


Brembo BBK|BPM Tune|HRE P43 SC|BMW Performance Seats|KWV3
Appreciate 0
      07-05-2013, 11:09 AM   #15
Lorde
Ya ya ya, I am Lorde, ya ya!
Lorde's Avatar
No_Country
32
Rep
2,521
Posts

 
Drives: E90 M3, 2015 SQ5
Join Date: May 2011
Location: Snig

iTrader: (6)

Garage List
2008 BMW M3 E90  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by HoodR$CH View Post
Why did you quote what I said and then post this pic?
Clearly this was done by IND.
Because I am agreeing with you. I doubt anyone can pull off this type of paintwork in their garage.
Appreciate 0
      07-05-2013, 11:22 AM   #16
HoodR$CH
Lieutenant
HoodR$CH's Avatar
9
Rep
482
Posts

 
Drives: AW E92 M3
Join Date: Oct 2012
Location: Minneapolis

iTrader: (13)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Snig View Post
Because I am agreeing with you. I doubt anyone can pull off this type of paintwork in their garage.
My bad, i thought you were posting "garage painted manifolds" lol
__________________


Brembo BBK|BPM Tune|HRE P43 SC|BMW Performance Seats|KWV3
Appreciate 0
      07-05-2013, 01:17 PM   #17
s65e90
Banned
6
Rep
513
Posts

 
Drives: 2009 e90
Join Date: May 2013
Location: SoFlo

iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by HoodR$CH View Post
Listen to this guy. Bondo? who uses that Macco? This isn't a Honda Civic. You are right about it not being hard to do, I'd be willing to bet I could achieve similar results to what IND does by myself. This guy obv has no clue and neither do you. Its gonna look like shit if he doesn't have a clue where to start. This is plastic, not metal. Were you planning on using an adhesion promotor? What primer do you suggest the OP uses so that the paint doesn't sink into the plastic? What grit/s paper do you suggest he uses? You really are suggesting that he should "Bondo" his entire manifold to get it smooth? lol

FYI every car requires at least a skim coat of bondo to acheive a flawless finish regardless if it's a Civic or an M3 on 20" Savinis Even a concours prepped vehicle needs a skim coat to attain a glass like surface. I have done work in some of the nicest shops around from NY to LA... I have no clue? You're funny guy; I been in the auto side of business (specifically around collision repair) for a long time. Have you ever even painted a car???

And yes, it would require filler to achieve that smooth finish; every body shop would tell you the same.

Pleae don't try and insult my intelligence again by telliing me I don't have a clue.

Last edited by s65e90; 07-05-2013 at 01:26 PM.
Appreciate 0
      07-05-2013, 01:19 PM   #18
s65e90
Banned
6
Rep
513
Posts

 
Drives: 2009 e90
Join Date: May 2013
Location: SoFlo

iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Snig View Post
Because I am agreeing with you. I doubt anyone can pull off this type of paintwork in their garage.

Don't be so quick to think that; it's all in the prep work. I have seen some of the best car refinishing done not in a paint booth but in a barn of all places. Auto painting def takes some skill and patience especially, but above all, Prep is the key.
Appreciate 0
      07-05-2013, 01:42 PM   #19
HoodR$CH
Lieutenant
HoodR$CH's Avatar
9
Rep
482
Posts

 
Drives: AW E92 M3
Join Date: Oct 2012
Location: Minneapolis

iTrader: (13)

Quote:
Originally Posted by s65e90
Quote:
Originally Posted by HoodR$CH View Post
Listen to this guy. Bondo? who uses that Macco? This isn't a Honda Civic. You are right about it not being hard to do, I'd be willing to bet I could achieve similar results to what IND does by myself. This guy obv has no clue and neither do you. Its gonna look like shit if he doesn't have a clue where to start. This is plastic, not metal. Were you planning on using an adhesion promotor? What primer do you suggest the OP uses so that the paint doesn't sink into the plastic? What grit/s paper do you suggest he uses? You really are suggesting that he should "Bondo" his entire manifold to get it smooth? lol

FYI every car requires at least a skim coat of bondo to acheive a flawless finish regardless if it's a Civic or an M3 on 20" Savinis Even a concours prepped vehicle needs a skim coat to attain a glass like surface. I have done work in some of the nicest shops around from NY to LA... I have no clue? You're funny guy; I been in the auto side of business (specifically around collision repair) for a long time. Have you ever even painted a car???

And yes, it would require filler to achieve that smooth finish; every body shop would tell you the same.

Pleae don't try and insult my intelligence again by telliing me I don't have a clue.
Yes I have painted several cars and worked in several body shops

You use the term "bondo" when referring to body filler? Lol

So let me get this straight, you are telling everyone on this forum to achieve a glass like finish being it plastic or metal, you need to apply at least a thin coat of bondo to the entire surface? Lol. You've shown your knowledge about paint work with that statement alone.

I do agree with you that it's all in the prep work. Most of my post you skipped over related to that exactly.

You bring up my old M3 to try and insult me? Lol. Are my HRE's ok or should I should I go with a different brand?
__________________


Brembo BBK|BPM Tune|HRE P43 SC|BMW Performance Seats|KWV3
Appreciate 0
      07-05-2013, 03:09 PM   #20
s65e90
Banned
6
Rep
513
Posts

 
Drives: 2009 e90
Join Date: May 2013
Location: SoFlo

iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by HoodR$CH View Post
Yes I have painted several cars and worked in several body shops

You use the term "bondo" when referring to body filler? Lol

So let me get this straight, you are telling everyone on this forum to achieve a glass like finish being it plastic or metal, you need to apply at least a thin coat of bondo to the entire surface? Lol. You've shown your knowledge about paint work with that statement alone.

I do agree with you that it's all in the prep work. Most of my post you skipped over related to that exactly.

You bring up my old M3 to try and insult me? Lol. Are my HRE's ok or should I should I go with a different brand?
I'm not hear to argue w/ internet m3 gurus like yourself. Using the term bondo is a universal term AKA filler. Also referring to xxx.

Don't know why you jumped on my in my post and why you actually care enough to insult me on the internet. But if you work/worked in shops then you should know otherwise.

BTW a councours finish still gets body filler. What's your point here; OP asked for some direction and everyone said run to IND or do something esle. No one answered OP's question; except me. I tried to in a basic fashion. Go bother someone else w/ you nonsense.

You also insulted OP as well as me in your post
Appreciate 0
      07-05-2013, 03:17 PM   #21
HoodR$CH
Lieutenant
HoodR$CH's Avatar
9
Rep
482
Posts

 
Drives: AW E92 M3
Join Date: Oct 2012
Location: Minneapolis

iTrader: (13)

I never claimed to be an M3 Internet Guru. I'm pretty new to this platform of car anyways. I was not trying to insult OP in my original reply. You insulted me by calling me a sheep then insult my choice in wheels. Lets see some photo's of your "M"

If you are in the industry you know as well as i do that telling this guy to paint this is a bad idea. There are tons of easy DIY paint projects but this simply is not one of them without experience.

/thread jack!
__________________


Brembo BBK|BPM Tune|HRE P43 SC|BMW Performance Seats|KWV3
Appreciate 0
      07-05-2013, 03:28 PM   #22
s65e90
Banned
6
Rep
513
Posts

 
Drives: 2009 e90
Join Date: May 2013
Location: SoFlo

iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by HoodR$CH View Post
Listen to this guy. Bondo? who uses that Macco? This isn't a Honda Civic. You are right about it not being hard to do, I'd be willing to bet I could achieve similar results to what IND does by myself. This guy obv has no clue and neither do you. Its gonna look like shit if he doesn't have a clue where to start. This is plastic, not metal. Were you planning on using an adhesion promotor? What primer do you suggest the OP uses so that the paint doesn't sink into the plastic? What grit/s paper do you suggest he uses? You really are suggesting that he should "Bondo" his entire manifold to get it smooth? lol
Quote:
Originally Posted by HoodR$CH View Post
I never claimed to be an M3 Internet Guru. I'm pretty new to this platform of car anyways. I was not trying to insult OP in my original reply. You insulted me by calling me a sheep then insult my choice in wheels. Lets see some photo's of your "M"

If you are in the industry you know as well as i do that telling this guy to paint this is a bad idea. There are tons of easy DIY paint projects but this simply is not one of them without experience.

/thread jack!


yes, you're a sheep like everyone else for saying, "call IND". OP may not be cut out for the job but his thread was to ask for help, not ask who to call to do it for them. How do people learn if they never try themselves.

BTW I only called you out after your first post (that's above highlighted in RED so you can see).. if that doesn't sound insulting then you need to get your head checked out.

Don't worry about pictures of my car, I ain't here to compare dick sizes.

But it's got a pretty decent amount of work done to it; all by me
Appreciate 0
Post Reply

Bookmarks

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Forum Jump


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 12:55 PM.




m3post
Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.7.0
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
1Addicts.com, BIMMERPOST.com, E90Post.com, F30Post.com, M3Post.com, ZPost.com, 5Post.com, 6Post.com, 7Post.com, XBimmers.com logo and trademark are properties of BIMMERPOST