BMW M3 Forum (E90 E92)

BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read


Go Back   M3Post - BMW M3 Forum > BIMMERPOST Universal Forums > General Automotive (non-BMW) Talk + Photos/Videos
 
VIBE Motorsports
Post Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
      05-11-2013, 03:33 PM   #23
Falafel Combo
I can't heel toe!
Falafel Combo's Avatar
United_States
914
Rep
5,204
Posts

Drives: Austin Yellow f80
Join Date: May 2011
Location: New England

iTrader: (3)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jamesons Viggen View Post

...

If you are considering an S2000 and have the coin, check out an '01-02 M Roadster which has the E46 M3 S54 in it. Or, an S52 like mine '98-00 which can be had for under $20k with low miles. You get a lot of the S2000 experience but with the sound and feel of a BMW straight 6.

http://www.mroadsterbuyersguide.com/listings/


Those are great options, but not very appealing to me to be honest. Not for a 15 year old car. But I am sure they drive amazing!
__________________
"... but really, you just gotta ... you just gotta turn it all off, boys! You gotta turn it all off and you gotta wreck some tires! That's what M cars are all about, isn't it?"

-Chris Harris on the f80 M3
Appreciate 0
      05-11-2013, 03:46 PM   #24
turbolag
is nonexistent with N/A
turbolag's Avatar
15
Rep
1,124
Posts

Drives: .
Join Date: Mar 2013
Location: .

iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by KORALLROT View Post
Those are great options, but not very appealing to me to be honest. Not for a 15 year old car. But I am sure they drive amazing!
Only 10-12 years, lol. It's still somewhat early 2013.
Appreciate 0
      05-11-2013, 03:47 PM   #25
Jamesons Viggen
Brigadier General
United_States
79
Rep
3,720
Posts

Drives: '98 M Roadster stg 2+ S/C
Join Date: Jul 2012
Location: Rochester Hills MI

iTrader: (3)

Quote:
Originally Posted by KORALLROT View Post
Those are great options, but not very appealing to me to be honest. Not for a 15 year old car. But I am sure they drive amazing!
well yeah, that is what the S2000 has going for it, it was made later, some cars still out there that are nearly new still.

I always wanted a turbo'd or SC'd S2000 myself.
__________________

'98 Dinan/RMS stage 2+(VAC cams, CES Cutring etc)
'15 Buick Regal "T"(wife)
'06 Saab 9-5 Combi 5mt tuned(Aero interior/Konis etc)
Appreciate 0
      05-11-2013, 06:16 PM   #26
BavarianFanatic
Too much is never enough
United_States
50
Rep
1,967
Posts

Drives: Too Many
Join Date: Mar 2008
Location: SE PA

iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dinh335 View Post
all internet rumors. my sense is you've never owned a rotary.

no overheating issues and if by attention you mean check the oil every three weeks, well, it's called owning a car.

and soft? was rated the third best handling car under 100K by car and driver and regarded as one of best handling cars out there.

not fanboi-ing, just providing first hand information rather than internet skimming, and of course you're entitled to your opinion, i strongly disagree on personal experience. Is it a bit more involved than owning a mazdaspeed 3, or GTI, sure, but we're talking barely here.

I do think the GTI is a great choice as well, but why go FWD if you go RWD.

Sorry to disappoint, but this is first hand experience, not fodder from forums.

I'm not saying they are necessarily prone to overheating. But, if they do overheat, even slightly, you're replacing o-rings at a minimum. There is ZERO margin for error with cooling. Often you're done by the time you even see the temps spike. It's not that there's a high incidence of this. Rather, owning and maintaining a rotary is very different from maintaining anything else. Attention to maintenance and operating conditions is critical.

As far as my comment about the car being "soft", it is actually pretty soft. But that has nothing to do with its handling capabilities. They're very light with exceptional turn in and braking. But, they're soft. At least for me.
Appreciate 0
      05-11-2013, 06:22 PM   #27
BavarianFanatic
Too much is never enough
United_States
50
Rep
1,967
Posts

Drives: Too Many
Join Date: Mar 2008
Location: SE PA

iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by KORALLROT View Post
OMG! So many good options! You can get a Ford Focus ST in the US now? This is very appealing to me. 250hp, 270lb-ft! On that little thing? In 6MT? Wowzer!


Man, the US is finally becoming Hot Hatch eligible. Now BMW better bring over the M135i, and soon. Might make it to my next DD list.


.
Focus ST is an outstanding car. Highly recommend that you at least take a look. You'll have a hell of a test drive for sure.

Granted there will be arguments about RWD vs. FWD, but you HAVE a proper RWD car to slice and dice with. Sometimes you just want a good point-A-to-point-B car for racking up miles and the occasional shenanigans. All cars on the table will deliver that. A tool for every need...


(Full disclosure time - everything I own is either RWD or 4WD. But I also have lots of different tools to suit my many moods...)
Appreciate 0
      05-11-2013, 06:54 PM   #28
Reznick
First Lieutenant
Reznick's Avatar
United_States
5
Rep
386
Posts

Drives: 2008 M3 ,2000 330
Join Date: Jul 2007
Location: Syracuse NY

iTrader: (0)

I have a new screaming yellow Focus ST at my disposal. I think must people would be more then impressed with it as a daily driver.I personally have never been one for small FWD cars , but there are a few out there I really enjoy. The ST is one of them.
Appreciate 0
      05-11-2013, 07:36 PM   #29
BavarianFanatic
Too much is never enough
United_States
50
Rep
1,967
Posts

Drives: Too Many
Join Date: Mar 2008
Location: SE PA

iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Reznick View Post
I have a new screaming yellow Focus ST at my disposal. I think must people would be more then impressed with it as a daily driver.I personally have never been one for small FWD cars , but there are a few out there I really enjoy. The ST is one of them.
Congrats. It really is an exceptional car. Especially at the price point.
Appreciate 0
      05-11-2013, 10:23 PM   #30
Dinh335
Captain
84
Rep
860
Posts

Drives: 2004 RX8/2015 M3
Join Date: Dec 2012
Location: Arlington VA

iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by BavarianFanatic View Post
Sorry to disappoint, but this is first hand experience, not fodder from forums.

I'm not saying they are necessarily prone to overheating. But, if they do overheat, even slightly, you're replacing o-rings at a minimum. There is ZERO margin for error with cooling. Often you're done by the time you even see the temps spike. It's not that there's a high incidence of this. Rather, owning and maintaining a rotary is very different from maintaining anything else. Attention to maintenance and operating conditions is critical.

As far as my comment about the car being "soft", it is actually pretty soft. But that has nothing to do with its handling capabilities. They're very light with exceptional turn in and braking. But, they're soft. At least for me.
First hand driving or owning? What year did you have.My point was that with ownership you'll find it's not any significantly different than owning any other car, it's a bit of an urban legend. Yes if you don't care about cars and maintenance it's not gonna help, but spark plug checks and oil checks to me are part of maintaining any car.

Fuel economy sucks though I got nothing there.
__________________
2015 Tanzanite Blue M3 /19 silver/exec/SS full leather/hk/cams/6speed
Appreciate 0
      05-11-2013, 10:35 PM   #31
RPM90
Major General
184
Rep
6,420
Posts

Drives: 335i Msport w/sport AT
Join Date: Mar 2006
Location: Chicago

iTrader: (1)

Quote:
Originally Posted by KORALLROT View Post
Any one have first hand experience with manual transmission:

Honda S2000
Mazda rx8
Golf GTI
Mazda speed 3
Subaru BRZ?


Did you like it or not, and why?


Thanks guys.
The S2000 last year was 2009, so if you try to get one the newest will be at least 4-5yrs old.
Great drivers car. But it's small inside.
Our dept director got a 2009 CR in 2010. It was a brand new left over '09.

I really like the GTI and the new one is coming very soon.
I prefer that DSG to MT in that car due to very awkwardly placed pedals that are not comfortable for me, maybe they will be to you.
The DSG is fantastic and really makes that car fun.

If you're going with used you should put the 135i on your list.
I had an '09 MT and that car was a blast to drive.
The weakest aspect was the stock suspension, but easily fixed with a new setup especially since you'll be saving buying used.

There is supposed to be a new 2 series to replace 1 series.
For the US it will be a coupe. I'm hoping BMW will make a sedan based on the 2 series. If they do either that coupe or sedan will be my next car, and I'm going back to MT
Current ZF AT is fantastic for an AT, but I'm missing the fun of an MT.
Appreciate 0
      05-12-2013, 03:22 AM   #32
BMWinGE
Captain
12
Rep
649
Posts

Drives: BMW
Join Date: May 2007
Location: Germany

iTrader: (0)

I haven't driven the Focus ST but the reviews on the internet are very positive.

this is a good review for the other cars you were looking at:
http://www.autoblog.com/2013/05/07/s...8-honda-s2000/

Keep in mind the M235i coupe is due before the end of the year. If its anything like the M135i hatchback in Europe it will be pretty awesome.
Appreciate 0
      05-12-2013, 07:53 AM   #33
Falafel Combo
I can't heel toe!
Falafel Combo's Avatar
United_States
914
Rep
5,204
Posts

Drives: Austin Yellow f80
Join Date: May 2011
Location: New England

iTrader: (3)

Quote:
Originally Posted by RPM90 View Post
The S2000 last year was 2009, so if you try to get one the newest will be at least 4-5yrs old.
Great drivers car. But it's small inside.
Our dept director got a 2009 CR in 2010. It was a brand new left over '09.

I really like the GTI and the new one is coming very soon.
I prefer that DSG to MT in that car due to very awkwardly placed pedals that are not comfortable for me, maybe they will be to you.
The DSG is fantastic and really makes that car fun.

If you're going with used you should put the 135i on your list.
I had an '09 MT and that car was a blast to drive.
The weakest aspect was the stock suspension, but easily fixed with a new setup especially since you'll be saving buying used.

There is supposed to be a new 2 series to replace 1 series.
For the US it will be a coupe. I'm hoping BMW will make a sedan based on the 2 series. If they do either that coupe or sedan will be my next car, and I'm going back to MT
Current ZF AT is fantastic for an AT, but I'm missing the fun of an MT.


Excellent perspective. Thanks RPM!
__________________
"... but really, you just gotta ... you just gotta turn it all off, boys! You gotta turn it all off and you gotta wreck some tires! That's what M cars are all about, isn't it?"

-Chris Harris on the f80 M3
Appreciate 0
      05-12-2013, 07:54 AM   #34
Falafel Combo
I can't heel toe!
Falafel Combo's Avatar
United_States
914
Rep
5,204
Posts

Drives: Austin Yellow f80
Join Date: May 2011
Location: New England

iTrader: (3)

Quote:
Originally Posted by BavarianFanatic View Post
Focus ST is an outstanding car. Highly recommend that you at least take a look. You'll have a hell of a test drive for sure.

Granted there will be arguments about RWD vs. FWD, but you HAVE a proper RWD car to slice and dice with. Sometimes you just want a good point-A-to-point-B car for racking up miles and the occasional shenanigans. All cars on the table will deliver that. A tool for every need...


(Full disclosure time - everything I own is either RWD or 4WD. But I also have lots of different tools to suit my many moods...)

Thanks buddy. Your contributions have really been insightful, and I think are getting me closer to a decision. You're great!
__________________
"... but really, you just gotta ... you just gotta turn it all off, boys! You gotta turn it all off and you gotta wreck some tires! That's what M cars are all about, isn't it?"

-Chris Harris on the f80 M3
Appreciate 0
      05-12-2013, 07:55 AM   #35
Falafel Combo
I can't heel toe!
Falafel Combo's Avatar
United_States
914
Rep
5,204
Posts

Drives: Austin Yellow f80
Join Date: May 2011
Location: New England

iTrader: (3)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Reznick View Post
I have a new screaming yellow Focus ST at my disposal. I think must people would be more then impressed with it as a daily driver.I personally have never been one for small FWD cars , but there are a few out there I really enjoy. The ST is one of them.

So jelly right now. Did you get any of the packages? Are they any good? Recaro seats yay or nay?
__________________
"... but really, you just gotta ... you just gotta turn it all off, boys! You gotta turn it all off and you gotta wreck some tires! That's what M cars are all about, isn't it?"

-Chris Harris on the f80 M3
Appreciate 0
      05-12-2013, 07:56 AM   #36
Falafel Combo
I can't heel toe!
Falafel Combo's Avatar
United_States
914
Rep
5,204
Posts

Drives: Austin Yellow f80
Join Date: May 2011
Location: New England

iTrader: (3)

Quote:
Originally Posted by 328inGE View Post

...

Keep in mind the M235i coupe is due before the end of the year. If its anything like the M135i hatchback in Europe it will be pretty awesome.

Did not know that. So it will be revealed before the end of the year or will actually be available for purchase?
__________________
"... but really, you just gotta ... you just gotta turn it all off, boys! You gotta turn it all off and you gotta wreck some tires! That's what M cars are all about, isn't it?"

-Chris Harris on the f80 M3
Appreciate 0
      05-12-2013, 08:15 AM   #37
BMWinGE
Captain
12
Rep
649
Posts

Drives: BMW
Join Date: May 2007
Location: Germany

iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by KORALLROT View Post
Did not know that. So it will be revealed before the end of the year or will actually be available for purchase?
from what I've seen on here, production starts in Nov.
http://www.2addicts.com/forums/showthread.php?t=830350
Appreciate 0
      05-12-2013, 08:16 AM   #38
Falafel Combo
I can't heel toe!
Falafel Combo's Avatar
United_States
914
Rep
5,204
Posts

Drives: Austin Yellow f80
Join Date: May 2011
Location: New England

iTrader: (3)

So I've narrowed it down to


1. Focus ST
2. Subaru BRZ
3. Golf GTI



If I were more inclined to take my car to the track, I would have definitely picked the BRZ. I don't need a "powerful" car. Just a fun one, that comes in MT. If I were shopping for a car that is "nice", refined and fun, I may have considered the GTI. BUT ... since all I need is a relentless maniac daily commuter with nice acoustics, defeatable traction nanny and 6 gears, it looks like the Focus ST all the way. Especially for the money and those Recaro seats. Can't beat that.



I am very curious to see the BRZ STI iteration and the M235i. This car segment is heating up!



Off to the test drives!
__________________
"... but really, you just gotta ... you just gotta turn it all off, boys! You gotta turn it all off and you gotta wreck some tires! That's what M cars are all about, isn't it?"

-Chris Harris on the f80 M3

Last edited by Falafel Combo; 05-12-2013 at 09:11 AM.
Appreciate 0
      05-12-2013, 08:22 AM   #39
Falafel Combo
I can't heel toe!
Falafel Combo's Avatar
United_States
914
Rep
5,204
Posts

Drives: Austin Yellow f80
Join Date: May 2011
Location: New England

iTrader: (3)

Quote:
Originally Posted by 328inGE View Post
from what I've seen on here, production starts in Nov.
http://www.2addicts.com/forums/showthread.php?t=830350

Excellent. Thank you. Looks very promising. Just too long of a wait for me.
__________________
"... but really, you just gotta ... you just gotta turn it all off, boys! You gotta turn it all off and you gotta wreck some tires! That's what M cars are all about, isn't it?"

-Chris Harris on the f80 M3
Appreciate 0
      05-12-2013, 08:27 AM   #40
Falafel Combo
I can't heel toe!
Falafel Combo's Avatar
United_States
914
Rep
5,204
Posts

Drives: Austin Yellow f80
Join Date: May 2011
Location: New England

iTrader: (3)

__________________
"... but really, you just gotta ... you just gotta turn it all off, boys! You gotta turn it all off and you gotta wreck some tires! That's what M cars are all about, isn't it?"

-Chris Harris on the f80 M3
Appreciate 0
      05-12-2013, 09:10 AM   #41
Falafel Combo
I can't heel toe!
Falafel Combo's Avatar
United_States
914
Rep
5,204
Posts

Drives: Austin Yellow f80
Join Date: May 2011
Location: New England

iTrader: (3)

__________________
"... but really, you just gotta ... you just gotta turn it all off, boys! You gotta turn it all off and you gotta wreck some tires! That's what M cars are all about, isn't it?"

-Chris Harris on the f80 M3
Appreciate 0
      05-12-2013, 09:10 AM   #42
Falafel Combo
I can't heel toe!
Falafel Combo's Avatar
United_States
914
Rep
5,204
Posts

Drives: Austin Yellow f80
Join Date: May 2011
Location: New England

iTrader: (3)

__________________
"... but really, you just gotta ... you just gotta turn it all off, boys! You gotta turn it all off and you gotta wreck some tires! That's what M cars are all about, isn't it?"

-Chris Harris on the f80 M3
Appreciate 0
      05-12-2013, 09:12 AM   #43
Falafel Combo
I can't heel toe!
Falafel Combo's Avatar
United_States
914
Rep
5,204
Posts

Drives: Austin Yellow f80
Join Date: May 2011
Location: New England

iTrader: (3)

Thank you interwebs. I feel like I don't even need to test drive these cars anymore.
__________________
"... but really, you just gotta ... you just gotta turn it all off, boys! You gotta turn it all off and you gotta wreck some tires! That's what M cars are all about, isn't it?"

-Chris Harris on the f80 M3
Appreciate 0
      05-12-2013, 09:43 AM   #44
OverDriven
Second Lieutenant
5
Rep
298
Posts

Drives: 2011 M3
Join Date: Nov 2012
Location: Virginia

iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dinh335 View Post
all internet rumors. my sense is you've never owned a rotary.

no overheating issues and if by attention you mean check the oil every three weeks, well, it's called owning a car.
I've never owned an RX8 (and wouldn't) but I have owned 2 RX7 turbos and rebuilt and modded the engines in both by myself. Rotaries are very cool and an ingenious design in many ways, but if you're going to act like they're not temperamental, unreliable engines then you're crazy. IMO rotaries are great for enthusiasts, but they're a terrible choice for a daily driving road car.
Appreciate 0
Post Reply

Bookmarks

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Forum Jump


All times are GMT -4. The time now is 09:54 PM.




m3post
m3post
Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.7.0
Copyright ©2000 - 2015, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
1Addicts.com, BIMMERPOST.com, E90Post.com, F30Post.com, M3Post.com, ZPost.com, 5Post.com, 6Post.com, 7Post.com, XBimmers.com logo and trademark are properties of BIMMERPOST