BMW M3 Forum (E90 E92)

BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   M3Post - BMW M3 Forum > E90/E92 M3 Technical Topics > Coding / ConnectedDrive / Audio-Video / Electronics / Bluetooth / I-Drive & Nav

GetBMWParts

06-25-2014, 11:58 PM   #1
Groundpilot
Major
United_States
Rep

Drives: 135I DCT , e92 M3 DCT, Audi A6

Send a message via ICQ to Groundpilot
iDrive problems. Need help!

I have 2009 e92m3. Today i was driving and all of a sudden iDrive screen turned red for 3-4 seconds, then bmw letters came up, followed by accept screen followed by home page. Radio was working, but cd, phone, and navi were not.. In about 3-4 minutes it turned red again followed by everything else described above.
I tryed to reset the system by holding the volume knob for 25 seconds, but it didnt help. Then i removed the iDrive screen to check the power cord if it was loose, but it was not loose. The only thing i did not do yet is to disconnect the battery and see if that resets the system.
Does anyone know what may be the problem and how to fix it? My car is out of warranty and i would hate to take it to the dealer

David

Last edited by Groundpilot; 07-19-2014 at 11:25 AM.
Appreciate 0
      06-30-2014, 10:09 PM   #2
Groundpilot
Major
United_States
Rep

Well, after some reaserch, it looks like this is a common problem. Disconnecting the battery for 30 minutes did not help.
If radio works, but cd/music collection, phone and navi does not, it could be the hard drive problem, and it may be necessary to change cic unit, which is not cheap. Also, there is a connecting cable between cic unit and cid that could be faulty, which is much cheaper to replace. $38 on get bmw parts. I will replace this cable first, see what happens, then will report back.
If anyone has any more info about this problem, please let us know.

David
Appreciate 0
      06-30-2014, 10:29 PM   #3
WingZeroX5
Major
United_States
Rep

Drives: 09 E90 M3

get a new hard drive and ghost it
      07-11-2014, 11:20 PM   #4
Mike Benvo
BimmerPost Supporting Vendor
United_States
Rep

Drives: Harrop SC M3 / E46 M3 / 7Turbo

Garage List
2008 BMW M3  [5.00]
1990 BMW 735i Turbo  [5.00]
2004 BMW M3  [0.00]
Send a message via Skype™ to Mike Benvo
Red screen means that the screen is getting power but lost the video signal. Usually this is a loose video connection from the idrive unit to screen (unlikely) or a idrive system on its way out. Screen itself is good. Ghosting the hard drive won't help.

-----| Like us on Facebook | Instagram || Tuning Information | Remote Coding |-----
----Visit us at www.BPMSport.com - Emotion. Driven. | Toll Free: (888) 557-5133----
Appreciate 0
      07-19-2014, 11:10 AM   #5
Groundpilot
Major
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike Benvo View Post
Red screen means that the screen is getting power but lost the video signal. Usually this is a loose video connection from the idrive unit to screen (unlikely) or a idrive system on its way out. Screen itself is good. Ghosting the hard drive won't help.
Hey Mike, do you know how much is it to replace iDrive system? Can you code it remotely if i replace the unit myself?

David
Appreciate 0