BMW M3 Forum (E90 E92)

BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   M3Post - BMW M3 Forum > E90/E92 M3 Technical Topics > Engine, Transmission, Exhaust, Drivetrain, ECU Software Modifications

GTB Performance

05-06-2013, 12:51 PM   #1
Gins
I can't find my pants.

Drives: '15 Supergirl Combo M3, YMB-SO

Garage List
2008 BMW M3 E90  [0.00]
Throttle Valve Actuator covered under Extended BMW Warranty

Has anyone had their throttle actuators replaced under BMW's extended warranty (Powertrain Plus, specifically)?

I have had code P1628 come up under low fuel conditions (just under 1/4 tank). Stopping the car for 3 minutes while getting a visitor badge, then starting it up again with the usual DBC, DSC, engine malfunction errors.

Car has 72k miles, figured this was coming reading recent threads.
Gins is offline   No_Country
      05-06-2013, 01:06 PM   #2
Z K
Colonel

Drives: E90 M3

I would assume it is covered under Powertrain Plus as it is a problem that prevents the operation of the car and is part of the "powertrain" (engine).
      05-06-2013, 01:27 PM   #3
RBB
First Lieutenant

Drives: E92 M3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Z K View Post
I would assume it is covered under Powertrain Plus as it is a problem that prevents the operation of the car and is part of the "powertrain" (engine).
That would seem logical, but don't make any assumptions. A tech was telling me just this morning that they had a guy in a few months ago whose powertrain warranty would not cover a throttle actuator replacement because it was "not inside the engine". Don't think he had BMW's warranty, but I would read the fine print on these things.
      05-06-2013, 03:00 PM   #4
Z K
Colonel

Quote:
Originally Posted by RBB View Post
That would seem logical, but don't make any assumptions. A tech was telling me just this morning that they had a guy in a few months ago whose powertrain warranty would not cover a throttle actuator replacement because it was "not inside the engine". Don't think he had BMW's warranty, but I would read the fine print on these things.
I combed through the listing of parts covered under the BMW EVP plans and it doesn't list the throttle actuator anywhere on any of the plans, even in the "full coverage" Platnum plan. I believe the full agreement probably has a complete listing or it is just covered under another component category that it falls under.
      05-06-2013, 04:50 PM   #5
Gins
I can't find my pants.

Drives: '15 Supergirl Combo M3, YMB-SO

Garage List
2008 BMW M3 E90  [0.00]
Yeah, looks like it's been hit or miss with the E60 M5 guys, with the majority of success being under CPO warranty. I will have to take it into Tischer's service department here to see if they will take care of it.
Gins is offline   No_Country
      05-06-2013, 05:13 PM   #6
Z K
Colonel

Let us know what the dealer says. I'm curious about the extended powertrain warranty coverage as well.
      06-08-2013, 12:29 AM   #7
Da M3nace
Second Lieutenant

Drives: 08 M3E90

I had this part replaced under warranty just recently.
      06-08-2013, 12:57 AM   #8
aus
Major General

Drives: Odysse

Our 335 just had a "throttle body" replaced after the warranty had expired because it's an "emissions device." I didn't ask any questions.
Let me get this straight... You are swapping out parts designed by some of the top engineers in the world because some guys sponsored by a company told you it's "better??" But when you ask the same guy about tracking, "oh no, I have a kid now" or "I just detailed my car." or "i just got new tires."
      06-09-2013, 12:21 PM   #9
Da M3nace
Second Lieutenant

Drives: 08 M3E90

So its been a week since I had this part replaced and I got to say I notice a major improvement in overall throttle smoothness. The weather is warmer in NY as of late so I dont know if my smoother cold starts are due to weather or this job but the throttle doesnt stutter as it always did before warm up.