BMW M3 Forum (E90 E92)

BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   M3Post - BMW M3 Forum > BIMMERPOST Universal Forums > General BMW News and Cars Discussion

Steve Thomas BMW

05-06-2013, 09:52 AM   #1
Jason
Administrator

Drives: E90 M3

Lightbulb Haptics Engineering: the Technology Behind How a BMW Feels

BIMMERPOST NEWS
Haptics Engineering: the Technology Behind How a BMW Feels
COMMENTS

Haptics, the tactile feedback technology behind how something feels is a big component of a car's overall driving and user experience.

Just as there's a sound engineering department at BMW, it's no surprise then that there exists a dedicated haptics engineering department. The video below provides some insight into haptics development at BMW.

Jason is offline   United_States
      05-06-2013, 10:15 AM   #2
keyalex

Drives: F10 M5

Pretty cool!
keyalex is offline   United_States
      05-06-2013, 10:19 AM   #3
cotmfk
Brigadier General

Drives: 2007 335i

This is why my 2007 E63 felt in a lot of ways like my step-dad's (total tool) 1985 500 SEL.
      05-06-2013, 10:34 AM   #4
pittx52011
Second Lieutenant

Drives: 2011 X5, 2013 550xi

I like the wheels of Z4 convertible shown in video.
      05-06-2013, 10:52 AM   #5
Diver
Colonel

Drives: Black '12 135i DCT PPK Msport

I like the way my car feels. I guess they got it right.
      05-06-2013, 11:58 AM   #6
EINSER M
Major General

Drives: 2011 E82 1M

Garage List
Send a message via AIM to EINSER M Send a message via MSN to EINSER M Send a message via Yahoo to EINSER M
haptics engineers have worked hard to improve the cars over the years, just had a loaner today and it just feels so on point and perfect. bravo BMW

EINSER M is offline   United_States
      05-06-2013, 01:36 PM   #7
sfm5

Drives: F10 M5

Interesting, I've found that the feels are worse now than they have been in the past.

F10 vs E39, the steering wheel buttons feel cheaper, less resistence. The jog wheels are "loose", imho. The programmable convenience buttons require a longer-than-usual press to bring up the memorized function.

IDrive wheel is not bad, windows buttons have definitely improved. Turn signal and wiper stalks are much worse, E39 was smoother and higher quality feeling.

I had a loaner F30 for a while, couldn't believe how cheap everything felt. At least the distinction between F10 5-series and F30 3-series is more pronounced now.

But overall, I'd say the haptics are worse now than they were before. Audi's haptics are more "metallic, clicky", and terrible, imho. At least the BMW's maintain a "dampened" feel with all the buttons.
      05-06-2013, 02:13 PM   #8
ChrisK
Brigadier General

Drives: E92 M3

Quote:
Originally Posted by sfm5 View Post
Interesting, I've found that the feels are worse now than they have been in the past.

F10 vs E39, the steering wheel buttons feel cheaper, less resistence. The jog wheels are "loose", imho. The programmable convenience buttons require a longer-than-usual press to bring up the memorized function.

IDrive wheel is not bad, windows buttons have definitely improved. Turn signal and wiper stalks are much worse, E39 was smoother and higher quality feeling.

I had a loaner F30 for a while, couldn't believe how cheap everything felt. At least the distinction between F10 5-series and F30 3-series is more pronounced now.

But overall, I'd say the haptics are worse now than they were before. Audi's haptics are more "metallic, clicky", and terrible, imho. At least the BMW's maintain a "dampened" feel with all the buttons.
^
+1

I had a F30 loaner over the weekend, and omg BMW what have you done! The car felt cheap - like they just had to save money. The new Navi screen? Really? A monolith on the dash!

Haptics are better? Heck no!

2011 E92 M3: AW/BLK • DCT
Europäische Lieferung am 6. August 2010
ChrisK is offline   United_States
      05-06-2013, 02:38 PM   #9
Jonjt
Lieutenant

Drives: 09 E92 335i M-sport

Quote:

+2

The F30s feel like plastic toys in comparison to BMWs of past generations.
      05-06-2013, 03:06 PM   #10
smashhell
Lieutenant

Drives: 2011 535i

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChrisK
Quote:

^
+1

I had a F30 loaner over the weekend, and omg BMW what have you done! The car felt cheap - like they just had to save money. The new Navi screen? Really? A monolith on the dash!

Haptics are better? Heck no!
The designs are better, but I agree, the quality went down.
      05-06-2013, 03:49 PM   #11
Tåst
Second Lieutenant

Drives: BMW, I think.

If quality is went down. I think that can depends two things, first can it be result ,that car must be recyclable. So materials must choice that way(Harder plastic parts etc.). Second choice is, that they save money.
      05-06-2013, 04:14 PM   #12
shivaswrath
Brigadier General

Drives: 2012 335i

How about they stop the f@$&$! Squeak from my dash?!?!
      05-06-2013, 04:41 PM   #13
debdoub
Private First Class

Drives: M5

Quote:
Originally Posted by sfm5

well if they got the quality material of E39 M5 they wouldn't be able to compete or sell the volume they sell however entirely agree with your point.
debdoub is offline   United_States
      05-06-2013, 05:31 PM   #14
KeepitClassy
Banned

Drives: BMW LCI e90

Quote:

I'm using a F30 Loaner right now, coming from a e90 LCI. The F30 does feel very "Plasticky". I prefer my interior more. I feel like I'm riding in a Honda.
KeepitClassy is offline   United_States
      05-06-2013, 06:56 PM   #15
Cuz5150
Major

Drives: 06-M3ZHP/04-M3 Vert/02Duc998

IMHO my 99.5 Audi A4 had the best haptics!!!
I have been in many cars.......nothing comes close to that car, so far!

04-M3 vert-Black/Imolla/6MT/Cold/Xenon/HK/
06-M3 Cp-Mystic/Black/6MT/Comp/Xenon/HK/
09-135i- AW/Bk-Lette/6MT/M-pac/Nav/Hi-Fi/Usb-Ipod/SOLD
      05-06-2013, 07:29 PM   #16
doublevanosrc
Loves Runflats.

Drives: 2013 VW GTi

Garage List
2011 BMW  [0.00]
2011 BMW  [0.00]
I remember during my F30 test drive that the turn signal and wipers stalks just felt cheap compared to the E90 versions.
      05-06-2013, 07:45 PM   #17
mdosu
Banned

Drives: Double Vanos'd Civic-M3

case in point, CiC idrive controller vs the CCC, CiC is just way easier to control with less feedback and more direct control.
mdosu is offline   No_Country
      05-06-2013, 07:56 PM   #18
DylanBerg
Enlisted Member

Drives: 330ci

Seems like a very expensive approach for very simple components
      05-06-2013, 08:54 PM   #19
xspeedy
Second Lieutenant

Drives:

How about some haptics for the totally numb EPS? A good solution is hydraulics.
      05-07-2013, 12:39 AM   #20
Fraggy
Brigadier General

Drives: 2007 e90

Mercedes-Benz does an excellent job with their buttons, they always just feel right. You always feel luxury.
      05-07-2013, 01:25 AM   #21
SoCali E36
OOOOWEEEEE!

Drives: 1997 E36 M3 Sedan

Quote:
Originally Posted by sfm5

You took the words right out of my mouth. I work for the company and was blown away on how cheap the new 3 was compared to the e90. It might look nicer inside. But the "haptics" are worse.
      05-07-2013, 04:44 AM   #22
pkimM3r
Major General

Drives: m3 saloon in granny mode.

Quote:
Originally Posted by shivaswrath
How about they stop the f@$&$! Squeak from my dash?!?!
Response: please forward to sound team. Lol