BMW M3 Forum (E90 E92)

BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   M3Post - BMW M3 Forum > M3 (E90 / E92 / E93) > General M3 Forum (E90 + E92 + E93)

Lux Angel Eyes

09-11-2007, 04:28 AM   #1
Leg
Captain
Rep

Drives: E92 M3 V8 Alpine White

Test drove the new M3

Well I got my test drive yesterday and all I can say is any doubts have gone and I confirmed I wanted to proceed with my order.

Restricted to 4500 revs and roads around Leeds (although we found a few quiet roundabouts and I 'accidently' hit 5500 revs occasionally) I cant say I pushed the car particularly but from driving into the dealers and seeing the car through to watching Richard from Leeds BMW drive it away at the end I was impressed throughout.

Ive driven quattro Audis for the last 6 years and a key factor in getting the M3 over an RS4 for me was a desire to have a more challenging car to drive. Ive built and tracked Westfields in the past and had to give that up due to time (work and family) and ever since have found Audis to be just a little too safe and predictable. Great cars (Ive had plenty as I mentioned) but they always failed to get the same adrenalin pump out of me as the Westfield could.

The M3 was everything I hoped for. Seeing it parked next to a normal 3 coupe, also in black, I just couldnt stop grinning. All concerns of it looking like a normal 3 coupe were gone instantly, this thing looks meaty with a capital 'WOW'. That bonnet bulge could house a small family! The rear arches look huge from behind and the only angle I would say it loses it a little is from the front at around 45 degrees to the car when the arches blend a bit. Still looks great though.

The interior is a great place to be too. Last year I went out and bought one of the last original 3.2 TTs before they went out of poduction as I always liked them and wanted one to modify and keep for good. I always felt the interior on that car was probably one of the nicest places to be in any car. However the M3 felt just as good if a little toned down. Chunkier and more solid as well. There are plenty of nice styling touches from the twisted door grabs to the subtle but stylish seat designs. I was impressed throughout.

I was a little concerned about the 'sitting too high' reports but found that my favoured position of steering wheel high and out and the seat as low as possible delivered a perfect driving position. Steering wheel is fine too, journos must have small hands!

Driving wise what can I say, engine sounds fantastic, handles great - just a great car all round and I look forward to parting with £55K for mine.

If you were doubting, dont, the journalists are talking out of their arses.

The car got lots of attention too as you woudl imagine. Oh and a big up to the chap in an M3 E30 who shouted across at the lights 'BUY IT NOW, BUY IT NOW' and stuck his thumb up out of his window.
Appreciate 0
      09-11-2007, 05:22 AM   #2
esquire
Colonel
United_States
Rep

Drives: 2011.5 Dakar Yellow M3 Coupe

Quote:
Originally Posted by Leg View Post

I was a little concerned about the 'sitting too high' reports but found that my favoured position of steering wheel high and out and the seat as low as possible delivered a perfect driving position. Steering wheel is fine too, journos must have small hands!

how tall are you exactly? in feet and inches please if you can.

[ESS VT2-625] [Akrapovic Evolution Exhaust] [KW Clubsports] [OSS Angel Eyes] [Revinora r-CRT Lip]
[Vorsteiner Boot] [Challenge Race Diffuser] [See the Build Thread HERE]
Appreciate 0
      09-11-2007, 06:47 AM   #3
Epacy
Reincarnated
Rep

Drives: 02 Maxima SE

Garage List
2008 M3  [0.00]
Good to hear! Can't wait for my day in the sun.
      09-11-2007, 09:41 AM   #4
I'm takin' the day off.
South Africa
Rep

Drives: M

Quote:
Originally Posted by esquire View Post
I'm 6foot and fitted very comfortably on my test drive, see:
http://www.m3post.com/forums/showthread.php?t=82428

nice report, thanks for sharing Leg.
      09-11-2007, 10:20 AM   #5
mkoesel
United_States
Rep

Drives: 2015 SO/CSAT F80 M3

Excellent - thank you for posting. I am getting so excited to test-drive this car.

BTW, any comment on the steering feel?
      09-11-2007, 10:29 AM   #6
lucid
Major General
United_States
Rep

Drives: E30 M3; Expedition

Awesome!

Just what I was expecting/hoping you'd come back with after your not so favorable initial impressions. I knew this car wouldn't fail to impress on the road. I hope it will do the same to me.
Appreciate 0
      09-11-2007, 10:32 AM   #7
Epacy
Reincarnated
Rep

Drives: 02 Maxima SE

Garage List
2008 M3  [0.00]
Can Steved give us any tidbits yet? We are all yearning.
      09-11-2007, 11:44 AM   #8
Leg
Captain
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by esquire View Post
Exactly 6', none of the European metric stuff here.
Appreciate 0
      09-11-2007, 11:54 AM   #9
Leg
Captain
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by mkoesel View Post
Excellent - thank you for posting. I am getting so excited to test-drive this car.

BTW, any comment on the steering feel?
Spot on, I had it set on sports. Felt great, lots of feedback, good weighting.

Im absolutely convinced that the journos have merely realised that 'New M3, its great' wont sell copies and have been uber pedantic and have made unfounded criticism in their reviews. I must again hold my hands up and say I havent tracked one etc obviously and only had an hour or so behind the wheel on normal roads but then, thats where Ill drive it anyway and I couldnt fault it.

I have to give my final spec by Friday and although I can change my mind on the colour and interior right up until it goes to build I really cant decide what to do. I had ordered white and fox red but im not so sure now. One thing I am sure of is im sticking with the 18s which will be track wheels and getting some good quality aftermarket wheels, question is 19s or 20s (that grey modded M3 posted on here recently with 20s looks the dogs danglies).
Appreciate 0
      09-11-2007, 12:00 PM   #10
Filthy Monkey
Private First Class
Rep

Drives: M3

I think white with Fox red would look amazing, especiailly in a sunny climate. Having seen it in white with black leather at the Canary Wharf, I just fell in love with it. It was hidden away in a small room ,as the car hadn't been launched, but it still looked sweet. It was only the thought of poor residuals that put me off ordering white...
Appreciate 0
      09-11-2007, 12:04 PM   #11
MI6
The World is Not Enough
United_States
Rep

Drives: Aston DBS-R

Quote:
Originally Posted by Leg View Post
Spot on, I had it set on sports. Felt great, lots of feedback, good weighting.

Im absolutely convinced that the journos have merely realised that 'New M3, its great' wont sell copies and have been uber pedantic and have made unfounded criticism in their reviews. I must again hold my hands up and say I havent tracked one etc obviously and only had an hour or so behind the wheel on normal roads but then, thats where Ill drive it anyway and I couldnt fault it.

I have to give my final spec by Friday and although I can change my mind on the colour and interior right up until it goes to build I really cant decide what to do. I had ordered white and fox red but im not so sure now. One thing I am sure of is im sticking with the 18s which will be track wheels and getting some good quality aftermarket wheels, question is 19s or 20s (that grey modded M3 posted on here recently with 20s looks the dogs danglies).
I would go with either the White or Space Grey and the AC Schnitzer wheels you mentioned with the Fox Red interior of course........ Just my 2 shillings..
Appreciate 0
      09-13-2007, 12:01 PM   #12
Jason
Administrator
United_States
Rep

Drives: E90 M3

Thanks for sharing!
Subscribe to Bimmerpost Youtube Channel

Appreciate 0