BMW M3 Forum (E90 E92)

BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   M3Post - BMW M3 Forum > E90/E92 M3 Technical Topics > Suspension | Brakes | Chassis

Steve Thomas BMW

08-06-2013, 11:03 AM   #45
1MOREMOD
2014 Track Days - 11|Ridge 1:52:24|Pacific 1:35:72
United_States

Drives: Race car->

i think most aftermarket have somewhat short intervals like that but should make it much further before needing to be done.

02 Tiag e46 M3|6MT|GC plates|MCS c.o.|GC bars|GC race control arms|GC bushings|BW eng. & tran. mounts|subframe kit|BW race shifter|BW Jaffster|Euro header|BW exhaust|K&N c.a.i.|Epic race tune|Rouge pulleys|Seibon CF hood|CSL bumper|ST-40|XR-2|SS lines|half cage|Recaro profi|Profi 2 harness|BMWpedals|BW studs|
Appreciate 0
      08-14-2013, 09:47 AM   #46
Billj747
Lieutenant
United_States

Drives: Everything

Send a message via AIM to Billj747
I've been very happy with the V3's on my E36 M3 that has been dd for over 30,000 miles now and has seen the track quite often.

No they are not highly sprung or the best for primarily track duty (which case the higher sprung ClubSports, or JRZs, etc... would be better suited), I think the V3 is a great option for a DD setup that sees the track.

FWIW, I usually am within 2-3 clicks from full stiff on compression F&R while being 1-7 clicks from full stiff F&R on rebound for track use. Many V3's ive seen are set in the middle of the adjustment range which IMO is too soft and useless. I also feel only the 1/4 (from full stiff) of the KW's adjustment range is where you should be for street or track use.

08-14-2013, 11:39 AM   #47
tlrid3r
DISITRB
United_States

Drives: e92

Quote:
Originally Posted by radiantm3
Quote:
Originally Posted by sterile stork View Post
You comparison between the two, how have you come to that conclusion?
I'm no suspension expert so just going by what I feel:

1) I get way more suspension travel with the ohlins. I learned this by doing my first track session in a street setting. I was amazed by the amount and smoothness of the body roll.

2) It keeps the wheels on the ground over bumps way better than the v3's even at race stiffness. There's a part of the track where you can cut through a bunch of rumble strips for a faster exit speed and whenever I did that with the V3's I couldn't be on the gas very hard through them because I had very little traction. With the ohlins I was able to be on the gas. It felt great.

3) The springs are way stiffer than the V3's, but the dampers still absorb shock much better so even though the ride feels stiffer than the V3's, it's also more compliant on the street and still comfortable.

4) The ohlin dampers are quite a bit lighter than the V3's. I didn't put them on scales, but there was a huge difference holding them both in each arm.

Hope that helps a bit.
great info. thanks for sharing. what sway bars are you using if any?
///M3... Don't want more power, Just want it to turn sharper one step closer each time. Ohlins RT, Vorshlag plates, RD sways, Alekshop subframe bushings, Monoball, Adj. Toe link, Full Evo Akra, ESS tune, SSK.
Appreciate 0
      08-15-2013, 06:09 PM   #48
OC3
Havin' a blast!
United_States

Drives: 2013 M3 E92 Jerez Blk DCT ZCP

Quote:
Originally Posted by radiantm3 View Post
I wouldn't be surprised if 99% of this forum's aftermarket suspension setups aren't optimally set up (mine included). We just like to spend money and say we have nice stuff.
lulz, this.

When I had JRZ RS Pro put on mid last year, I hadn't a clue on how to set it up for the tracks. And, a year later, I still don't, lulz.

Over the subsequent track days, I just progressively increased the compression & rebound settings, and now they're at near max stiff settings. With NT01 and TD R-comp tires, those settings seem to work well. At those settings, which work very well in corners & jumping over berms, I was looking to see if the car sort of bounces at the long straightaway sections, but it doesn't (if it did, I was going to dial the settings back).

BRP CW13 1:56 | CVR CW 2:01 | CVR CCW 2:02 | ACS 1:53 | WSIR 1:34
2013 E92 M3 Jerez Black DCT ZCP | JRZ RS Pro | Brembo | Endless | Volk TE37 18x10.5 squared | NT01/TD/ContiGrandAm | no other mods, nor weight shavings
Appreciate 0
      08-15-2013, 09:26 PM   #49
JEllis
Brigadier General

Drives: E36 M3, E92 M3

I will throw my opinion into the mix.

I have KW Clubsports on my E92 and I love them. I want them for my E36 as well. Its also a very easy plug and play design given that they include camber plates and arrived pre-assembled. Install was straight forward and then I had them adjusted by MRF.

I had Moton Clubsports on my 997 and while they were also a great coilover I found the speccing of spring rates ect. rather daunting.

KW CS is a great start for a dual purpose E9X M
      08-20-2013, 12:55 AM   #50
HP Autosport
Lieutenant General
United_States

Drives: F80 M3
Location: Santa Barbara, Brembo, GIAC, Koni, Ohlins, Performance Friction, Quaife, Stoptech, Vorshlag

Quote:
Originally Posted by aus View Post
Do the Ohlin's come wtih linear or progressive springs?
Do any of these come with progressive springs?

Agreed. Sabine put them on her GT3-RS (which already comes with coils!!). I think she's a bit better driver than me.

Linear rate springs on the Ohlins R&T, 336 front and 672 lb/in rear.
Appreciate 0