BMW M3 Forum (E90 E92)

BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   M3Post - BMW M3 Forum > E90/E92 M3 Technical Topics > Wheels + Tires Sponsored by The Tire Rack
  TireRack

KEEP M3POST ALIVE BY DOING YOUR TIRERACK SHOPPING FROM THIS BANNER LINK!

07-31-2013, 10:49 AM   #23
financiero
Registered

Drives: 2006 BMW 330i 6MT

Satisfied A/S 3 customer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Denk View Post
This looks like a great winter tire for me. Normally we only get an occasional dusting in the valley. Added cold weather grip in the rain is the biggie for me.
I live in Toronto and have been caught in shoulder seasons with summer tires, that is why I bought this tire. In addition, I drive on the highway a lot (60-80 km/day) and wanted a tire that was a litte more fuel efficient and wouldn't wear down as quickly as a dedicated summer tire.

Previously, I have been running a set of General Exclaim UHP. The Generals were good at the start but became very noisy as the tire wore down. Dry performance was decent, but wet was hit and miss and they were terrible in the snow.

With the new A/S 3s, I have immediatley noticed the reduction in road noise and increased comfort. I have taken the car hard around corners and the new tires outperform the General in almost all aspects. I have some peace of mind should I encounter sudden temperature drops or some light snow. When it gets really cold, I'll switch over to my michelin PA 4s.
      07-31-2013, 11:39 AM   #24
smmmurf
Colonel

Drives: 2009 M3 Sedan 6MT

Quote:
Originally Posted by Richbot View Post
lol

But is it legal to camber shave them? And what happens when the compound changes mid-cycle and they suddenly start to suck?

Also, 4/32 is a mud tire, back when I was srs bzns I *started* at 2/32. Season in one session, let sit, 1 q, 1 race, toss, repeat. Worked well when winning enough contingency to buy a set of tires per weekend, would totally suck if not. Tire management was the single most annoying thing about Spec Miata on Toyoa because seasoned tires were so good at the end of a long run compared to stickers. At least with the Hoosiers now you can be sure to bolt on a new set and go faster (maybe). There were days I put brand new tires on the car and sucked and days I put tires with a little canvas showing on and went faster, WTF, effin toyos...ugh end rant
Tell me how you really feel about Toyos.

I remember buying 2/32 shaves for my last couple races of the championship when I didn't have enough test time to scrub down 3/32 or 4/32 shaves to race depth. Seemed like such a waste
      03-16-2014, 05:58 PM   #25
lutfy
Second Lieutenant

Drives: 2009 E90 M3 DCT, 2005 997 C2S

Have excellent review to report. Had these tires in 255 and 275 staggered on 19s.

Got it for 500 rating tread wear and all rounder as I live in DC.

Fairly good in snow, used as rain tires on track.

Corded my ra1 today so decided to give it a shot. Had data to compare as well.

1:24 2 on RA1 on a stock mom zcp with track pads. Summit point main

As3 were only 1.2 secs a lap slower than my ra1s and didn't overheat in the 20 min session. Amazing grip, feedback and comsistency.

If anything these are now my year round tires except for when on track.

For those who are nervous about their performance in summer and dry will be Very very pleased. For reference look up what BMW race cars are running with CCA at summit point! Great purchase for me.
      03-18-2014, 12:34 PM   #26
kawasaki00
Major

Drives: E92

Any other reviews on these, they are available in 285-30 also. Touch less dry grip in the summer but I dont know if it is the road material or what around here but anything under 60 and the 265-pss are junk.
      03-20-2014, 10:21 PM   #27
414hpbabyshuttle
Private

Drives: e90 m3

I recommend the as3 as well. I mounted these after PSS once it got cold. I'm not surprised by luftys data. In my opinion no one needs any more grip on the street than the as3 can provide. Autox and track are a different story. Aside from the great dry grip they are an alternative for a " winter tire" if you get occasional snow like I do in the DC metro area.