BMW M3 Forum (E90 E92)

BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts

Go Back   M3Post - BMW M3 Forum > E90/E92 M3 Technical Topics > Wheels + Tires Sponsored by The Tire Rack
  TireRack

KEEP M3POST ALIVE BY DOING YOUR TIRERACK SHOPPING FROM THIS BANNER LINK!

04-27-2013, 12:36 AM   #1
a.wang
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2011 Jerez E90

Garage List
2011 BMW M3  [0.00]
Nailed.

With the beautiful weather rolling through the northeast, its quite the weekend for a spirited drive right?

Got halfway down the street till TPMS started yelling at me for little to no air, thought it was some stupid error. Got out a mile or two later to check what the fuss was about...

Name:  2013-04-26 17.02.30.jpg
Views: 608
Size:  508.3 KB

Had to have lodged itself in there within the week, and still is holding air pretty well. Went to my local tire guys for a possible patch, told me I needed a new tire as soon as they looked at the puncture location. Just my luck I tell you. Searched all over the internet for possible solutions and almost all pointed towards new tire, I'd rather not risk a tire failure at speed than a couple hundred bucks.

Any new tire suggestions other than the recommended PS2's, PZero, or CSC3's? Was thinking of migrating over to the PSS or AD08 crowd, I'll keep searching the forums for comments on those.
Appreciate 0
      04-27-2013, 01:07 AM   #2
325rider
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: '11 e90 M3 6mt

Quote:
Originally Posted by awong View Post
With the beautiful weather rolling through the northeast, its quite the weekend for a spirited drive right?

Got halfway down the street till TPMS started yelling at me for little to no air, thought it was some stupid error. Got out a mile or two later to check what the fuss was about...

Attachment 852885

Had to have lodged itself in there within the week, and still is holding air pretty well. Went to my local tire guys for a possible patch, told me I needed a new tire as soon as they looked at the puncture location. Just my luck I tell you. Searched all over the internet for possible solutions and almost all pointed towards new tire, I'd rather not risk a tire failure at speed than a couple hundred bucks.

Any new tire suggestions other than the recommended PS2's, PZero, or CSC3's? Was thinking of migrating over to the PSS or AD08 crowd, I'll keep searching the forums for comments on those.

Ahh good luck man. I'll tell you what, your luck is not all that bad. I had to replace some half life rear OEM PS2 tires (2) from a nail in the same spot in March. Later that week, one of those two new rears got slashed!!! I know right. SOME PEOPLE! Pathetic. SO, over $1,500 in new rear tires later I pull out of my apt and get the same TPMS warning. Get out, massive bolt in my front tire same place!!! So I luckily found a used PS2 online but now my car is misaligned due to tire size/wear/condition difference. Im waiting on some funds to clear up next week so i can finish payment on some new Advan RS wheels I am purchasing and new tires for them as well. Its been a horrible spring with tires. It sucks when the only source of contact between you and the road gets compromised and costs you thousands . Guess tire warranties should be heavily considered depending on where you live....
Appreciate 0
      04-27-2013, 01:23 AM   #3
RenoE92M3
Private
Rep
Drives: melbourne red e92 m3

Just got bridgestone RE11s 275 30 19 front 305 30 19 rear I love them the car has sooo much more grip.
Appreciate 0
      04-27-2013, 01:24 AM   #4
RenoE92M3
Private
Rep

But I would just plug that hole
Appreciate 0
      04-27-2013, 01:57 AM   #5
325rider
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: '11 e90 M3 6mt

Quote:
Originally Posted by RenoE92M3 View Post
But I would just plug that hole
You're not supposed to... just saying
Appreciate 0
      04-27-2013, 02:03 AM   #6
RenoE92M3
Private
Rep

If the hole is in the sidewall. If I told you your car was going to explode unless you gave me $200 would you give it to me? You drive a BMW they know you have money....................Your car is going to blow up unless you paypal me 200 bux lol
Appreciate 0
      04-27-2013, 03:07 AM   #7
Rapture
I'm suckin gas but I'm haulin ass
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2016 M3 ZCP MW/SO

Quote:
Originally Posted by RenoE92M3 View Post
If the hole is in the sidewall. If I told you your car was going to explode unless you gave me $200 would you give it to me? You drive a BMW they know you have money....................Your car is going to blow up unless you paypal me 200 bux lol
I don't know about you, but my life is worth a little more than the couple hundred bucks new tires would cost
Appreciate 0
      04-27-2013, 06:40 AM   #8
Rk-d
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: GT3 Touring, 993 C4S, M2C

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rapture View Post
I don't know about you, but my life is worth a little more than the couple hundred bucks new tires would cost
I've had tires patched with nails near the shoulder like that, but I was younger and had no money. I wouldn't advise patching it either.
Appreciate 0
      04-27-2013, 12:28 PM   #9
a.wang
Private First Class
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2011 BMW M3  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by 325rider View Post
Ahh good luck man. I'll tell you what, your luck is not all that bad. I had to replace some half life rear OEM PS2 tires (2) from a nail in the same spot in March. Later that week, one of those two new rears got slashed!!! I know right. SOME PEOPLE! Pathetic. SO, over $1,500 in new rear tires later I pull out of my apt and get the same TPMS warning. Get out, massive bolt in my front tire same place!!! So I luckily found a used PS2 online but now my car is misaligned due to tire size/wear/condition difference. Im waiting on some funds to clear up next week so i can finish payment on some new Advan RS wheels I am purchasing and new tires for them as well. Its been a horrible spring with tires. It sucks when the only source of contact between you and the road gets compromised and costs you thousands . Guess tire warranties should be heavily considered depending on where you live....

Jesus Christ... makes me look like I just have complaint problems compared to you. I was thinking of a used rear online but don't know about any reputable sources by me, would rather not order from some shady sites/auctions for $350 tire when new.

Best of luck to you and your summer man, may your new wheels last you at least until winter! Hahah
Appreciate 0
      04-27-2013, 12:32 PM   #10
a.wang
Private First Class
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2011 BMW M3  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rapture View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by robotk View Post
I've had tires patched with nails near the shoulder like that, but I was younger and had no money. I wouldn't advise patching it either.
Precisely. No way in hell I would risk a blowout at speed than a few hundred bucks down now. Thanks for the input guys
Appreciate 0
      04-29-2013, 07:38 PM   #11
Money2536
Colonel
Rep
Drives: '13 E92 M3 | 992 GT3 Touring

How is a plug in a modern, relatively stiff sidewalled tire going to cause blowout? Plug it and you'll be fine for the life of the tire.
Appreciate 0