BMW M3 Forum (E90 E92)

BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read


Go Back   M3Post - BMW M3 Forum > M3 (E90 / E92 / E93) > M3 vs....
 
GetBMWParts
Post Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
      04-27-2013, 11:49 AM   #45
Kong Sheng Han
Bro
Kong Sheng Han's Avatar
United_States
14
Rep
381
Posts

Drives: TiAg/Black E46 M3
Join Date: Feb 2013
Location: Katy, Texas

iTrader: (0)

Garage List
2011 BMW 328i  [0.00]
2001 BMW M3  [0.00]
If you mean the M3's new enemy, I would like to differ. I would think it competes with the M5, no?
__________________

2001 M3 Coupe TiAg/Black
PSS10 Coilovers | TMS Camber Plates | LED Tail Lights | AP Headers | Two New Rear Bumpers | 219M Wheels | SuperSprint Race Exhaust | E60 Shift Lever | ZHP Steering Rack | GroupN Motor Mounts | RE Trans Mounts | AKG Subframe Bushings | AKG Diff Bushings | AKG RTABS | TMS Subframe Reinforcement |
Appreciate 0
      04-27-2013, 11:54 AM   #46
Carl L
Major
Carl L's Avatar
62
Rep
1,108
Posts

Drives: '15 M3
Join Date: Aug 2012
Location: West Coast

iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Majin Buu View Post
That's what I will never understand. Last time I checked, the speed limit hasn't been increased. And there are no autobahns outside Germany. So if you don't go to the track, why buy those gazillion horsepower sedans? You pay more MSRP, gas guzzler tax, maintenance, insurance, and fuel costs, for what? So that you can win the Stop Light Grand Prix?
Do you also ponder why people buy a Rolex when a Seiko will tell them time just as well? Because it's their money, it makes them happy and they can.
__________________
-prev M-cars: E60, E92, E46, E36
Appreciate 0
      04-27-2013, 12:00 PM   #47
///M Power-Belgium
Major General
///M Power-Belgium's Avatar
Belgium
519
Rep
5,360
Posts

Drives: ///M3-DCT- E92 Silverstone II
Join Date: Jul 2012
Location: Belgium

iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kong Sheng Han View Post
If you mean the M3's new enemy, I would like to differ. I would think it competes with the M5, no?
I think it's even faster than the ///M5 ....more grip with the AWD !
BTW...there are rumors....there is already a BI - turbo tune for it...680 HP !
But still prefer my ///M3
Appreciate 0
      04-27-2013, 12:20 PM   #48
Majin Buu
Banned
4
Rep
324
Posts

Drives: M3
Join Date: Apr 2013
Location: Canada

iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Carl L View Post
Do you also ponder why people buy a Rolex when a Seiko will tell them time just as well?
Lol, yeah. Sometimes I do wonder about that.
Appreciate 0
      04-27-2013, 01:48 PM   #49
LarThaL
Colonel
LarThaL's Avatar
124
Rep
2,854
Posts

Drives: 2011 M3
Join Date: Apr 2011
Location: West Springfield, MA

iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by tjsabec View Post
Car and Driver estimated base price $95,000 and estimated weight 4350 lbs... Looks like it'd compete poorly with the M5 to me.
Compete poorly?? How so? Weight and price are pretty much the same. This kind of car really benefits from AWD. The interior will be on par, and the sound is better. The M5, of course, is FAR better looking, but thats about it. And as I previously mentioned, all these cars have gotten too big and bloated to be "dynamic", so what's the big deal if a tiny bit of steering precision is lost in the AWD. The benefits here far outweigh the costs.
__________________
2014 Audi S6 * 2015 Audi S3 * 2015 Porsche Cayman GTS
Former 2011 BMW M3 owner

Last edited by LarThaL; 04-27-2013 at 08:37 PM.
Appreciate 0
      04-27-2013, 02:21 PM   #50
dreamspeed
Major
dreamspeed's Avatar
United_States
36
Rep
1,293
Posts

Drives: 6MT
Join Date: Jul 2012
Location: Los Angeles

iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by DMW2315
Quote:
Originally Posted by dreamspeed View Post
I see AMGs more as a frenemy
Like an enemy of your enemy is your friend?
More like Magneto and Professor X
__________________
Appreciate 0
      04-27-2013, 02:30 PM   #51
MDIVISION
Major
MDIVISION's Avatar
United_States
99
Rep
1,004
Posts

Drives: 2015 M3
Join Date: Feb 2013
Location: Silicon Valley

iTrader: (1)

I didn't buy an M3 cause I wanted the "fastest car".

M3 is superior in every way IMO. Looks, handling, feel, did I mention, handling??

I would never drive a POS benz, they are garbage. garbage..
__________________
2002 E46 M3 Coupe.. SOLD
2011 BMW 1M Coupe SOLD
2013 BMW M3 Coupe SOLD
2014 BMW 335i MPPK SOLD
2015 M3
Appreciate 0
      04-27-2013, 04:22 PM   #52
F1Venom
Banned
42
Rep
962
Posts

Drives: ZCP E90 M3
Join Date: Apr 2013
Location: USA

iTrader: (0)

I'd take that Merc over the F10 M5 any day. Plus it sounds amazing, unlike the F10.
Appreciate 0
      04-27-2013, 09:29 PM   #53
FVM3
Major General
FVM3's Avatar
133
Rep
5,744
Posts

Drives: e92 m3, f30 328i
Join Date: Sep 2010
Location: Los Angeles

iTrader: (2)

Quote:
Originally Posted by DMW2315 View Post
I'd like to take a vote to see who in here has actually flogged (and I don't mean just a quick spin down a side street) a recent C63 / E63. For those who have not, I think you guys need to before you make any judement against an AMG.
+1
Appreciate 0
      04-27-2013, 09:36 PM   #54
FVM3
Major General
FVM3's Avatar
133
Rep
5,744
Posts

Drives: e92 m3, f30 328i
Join Date: Sep 2010
Location: Los Angeles

iTrader: (2)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mloyalty View Post
I didn't buy an M3 cause I wanted the "fastest car".

M3 is superior in every way IMO. Looks, handling, feel, did I mention, handling??

I would never drive a POS benz, they are garbage. garbage..
If i say C63 is faster then m3 at the track, you must LOL. But the truth is C63 has faster lap time in nurburgring then the e92 m3. So c63 handles like sh*t? I dont think so. I wont say c63 handles better then the m3 but at least not that bad

Last edited by FVM3; 04-28-2013 at 02:46 AM.
Appreciate 0
      04-28-2013, 02:00 PM   #55
track_warrior
Captain
track_warrior's Avatar
United_States
28
Rep
730
Posts

Drives: F-31 328d M-Performance
Join Date: Oct 2010
Location: San Antonio, TX

iTrader: (1)

Who cares how fast it is, i care about the handling. If you want fast go buy a GT-500.
__________________
l 2014 F31 328d X-drive M-sport l 2014 F30 328d M-Sport l BMW F-800 GSA l 1997 E-420 Sport l 2014 Touareg Tdi Armoured Level B5 l
M2 on order

Compensating a heavy car with horsepower is like giving an alcoholic cocaine to sober him up...
Appreciate 0
      04-28-2013, 06:31 PM   #56
TrevorM3
Lieutenant Colonel
54
Rep
1,814
Posts

Drives: 6.3 AMG
Join Date: Apr 2013
Location: Florida

iTrader: (0)

Uhm, the E class was never competition for the M3. It will chew it, and spit it out anyway.


It's more like M3 vs C63.. and E vs 5 series.
Appreciate 0
      04-28-2013, 06:46 PM   #57
NikB316
Lieutenant
NikB316's Avatar
15
Rep
596
Posts

Drives: 2014 M5 Competition
Join Date: Aug 2007
Location: Somerset County, New Jersey

iTrader: (4)

Not really M3 competitor but I LOVE the idea of AWD with a rear bias. 2/3 rear 1/3 front - ideal for me. I'm replacing the M3 with either this new E63 or F10 M5 around July when you can order the M3 and the E63 should be out. I was very excited when initial information on the e63 showed a DCT transmission. Honestly the regular automatic may kill the E63 idea for me. If only one of these companies would have a nice V8 TT with AWD and DCT. Audi RS7 same problem - not using their DCT! I don't understand why.

For those wondering why I am replacing the M3, I absolutely love the car but drive 3000 miles a month and want something more comfortable. I don't like the idea of a daily driver beater at all. Life is short - wouldn't I want my 100 miles a day to be in something fun? Maybe if I had a 10 mile commute I would be more open to driving a beater lol. Work trucks are understandable and those who do it for financial reasons. Then again if you are in the market for $100k car - daily or not - you can probably afford the gas and maint.

Any other suggestions I am missing? Something around $100k, comfy and potential of 500whp minimum.

This blown M3 has spoiled my performance needs
__________________

2014 M5 Competition Alpine/Sakhir
BMS Tune. Undercover Performance Custom Downpipes & Connector. H&R 10mm Spacers. BMW CF Rear Spoiler. IND Cosmetics. ALP & BEL Radar & Laser.
2011 Space Grey E92 M3 AA Gen 2 Lvl 3 586whp 398wtq SAE (sold)
Appreciate 0
      04-28-2013, 06:50 PM   #58
tjsabec
Lieutenant
tjsabec's Avatar
United_States
10
Rep
539
Posts

Drives: 2008, e90, alpine white, 6mt
Join Date: Aug 2011
Location: Uniontown, PA

iTrader: (2)

Quote:
Originally Posted by LarThaL View Post
Compete poorly?? How so? Weight and price are pretty much the same. This kind of car really benefits from AWD. The interior will be on par, and the sound is better. The M5, of course, is FAR better looking, but thats about it. And as I previously mentioned, all these cars have gotten too big and bloated to be "dynamic", so what's the big deal if a tiny bit of steering precision is lost in the AWD. The benefits here far outweigh the costs.
Well, the M5 starts at $90,200. The Mercedes starts at $95,000 and to get a limited slip differential and the increased horsepower in the mercedes you have to get the S model, so we obviously don't know the pricing, but i'd bet the mercedes is a good $15,000 more.

I would also venture to say that the BMW's DCT is better than that wet clutch transmission in the Mercedes, but again I don't know.
Appreciate 0
      04-29-2013, 01:02 AM   #59
F1Venom
Banned
42
Rep
962
Posts

Drives: ZCP E90 M3
Join Date: Apr 2013
Location: USA

iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by NikB316
Not really M3 competitor but I LOVE the idea of AWD with a rear bias. 2/3 rear 1/3 front - ideal for me. I'm replacing the M3 with either this new E63 or F10 M5 around July when you can order the M3 and the E63 should be out. I was very excited when initial information on the e63 showed a DCT transmission. Honestly the regular automatic may kill the E63 idea for me. If only one of these companies would have a nice V8 TT with AWD and DCT. Audi RS7 same problem - not using their DCT! I don't understand why.

For those wondering why I am replacing the M3, I absolutely love the car but drive 3000 miles a month and want something more comfortable. I don't like the idea of a daily driver beater at all. Life is short - wouldn't I want my 100 miles a day to be in something fun? Maybe if I had a 10 mile commute I would be more open to driving a beater lol. Work trucks are understandable and those who do it for financial reasons. Then again if you are in the market for $100k car - daily or not - you can probably afford the gas and maint.

Any other suggestions I am missing? Something around $100k, comfy and potential of 500whp minimum.

This blown M3 has spoiled my performance needs
2013 CLS63 AMG (RWD). It's the best looking four door on the market, IMO.
Appreciate 0
      04-29-2013, 07:42 AM   #60
sensi09
Lieutenant Colonel
18
Rep
1,772
Posts

Drives: .
Join Date: Dec 2010
Location: socal

iTrader: (1)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Majin Buu View Post
That's what I will never understand. Last time I checked, the speed limit hasn't been increased. And there are no autobahns outside Germany. So if you don't go to the track, why buy those gazillion horsepower sedans? You pay more MSRP, gas guzzler tax, maintenance, insurance, and fuel costs, for what? So that you can win the Stop Light Grand Prix?
With that line of thinking, you could argue that might as well get a 328 instead of a M3.
Appreciate 0
      04-29-2013, 08:18 AM   #61
Majin Buu
Banned
4
Rep
324
Posts

Drives: M3
Join Date: Apr 2013
Location: Canada

iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by sensi09 View Post
With that line of thinking, you could argue that might as well get a 328 instead of a M3.
true. Except that i take my car to the track
Appreciate 0
      04-29-2013, 09:16 AM   #62
FVM3
Major General
FVM3's Avatar
133
Rep
5,744
Posts

Drives: e92 m3, f30 328i
Join Date: Sep 2010
Location: Los Angeles

iTrader: (2)

Quote:
Originally Posted by sensi09 View Post
With that line of thinking, you could argue that might as well get a 328 instead of a M3.
+1. Not just top speed , also acceleration. Lets say a car can go up to 300mph but 0-60 takes 20s. Will you drive it to autobahn?
Appreciate 0
      04-29-2013, 11:13 AM   #63
bruce.augenstein@comcast.
Lieutenant Colonel
24
Rep
1,915
Posts

Drives: Legacy GT - 13.704@99.39
Join Date: Jul 2007
Location: Manheim, PA

iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Majin Buu View Post
That's what I will never understand. Last time I checked, the speed limit hasn't been increased. And there are no autobahns outside Germany. So if you don't go to the track, why buy those gazillion horsepower sedans? You pay more MSRP, gas guzzler tax, maintenance, insurance, and fuel costs, for what? So that you can win the Stop Light Grand Prix?
Of course.

On the other hand, your assumptions are off base.

The current E63 wagon weighs 4510 pounds (according to Motor Trend), and it is EPA rated at 15/23, losing 1 mpg to the sedan on both fronts. At a guess, the AWD 2014 sedan will come in at about the same mileage as the current wagon because of AWD, although it'll weigh 100-150 pounds less.

Both mileage numbers are pretty respectable especially if compared to the current M3.

The car costs more than an M3, but so what? It's a luxury sedan that just happens to go like a striped ape. You know. Power ash trays, quiet as a tomb at cruise, then all hell breaks loose when you punch it, and your eyeballs shorten up by a diopter or two.

So, fuel costs are down, insurance will be up due to MSRP differences, maintenance no different from other Benzes. What's the beef?

According to Car & Driver, the vehicle also just happens to be a sharper handler than the M5, although I must say I have high hopes for the new competition package about to become available on the Bimmer.

Bruce

Last edited by bruce.augenstein@comcast.; 04-29-2013 at 11:20 AM.
Appreciate 0
      04-29-2013, 11:16 AM   #64
DMW2315
******
1
Rep
115
Posts

Drives: E92 M3
Join Date: Mar 2013
Location: NJ

iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by dreamspeed View Post
More like Magneto and Professor X
haha I love it
Appreciate 0
      04-29-2013, 01:21 PM   #65
Majin Buu
Banned
4
Rep
324
Posts

Drives: M3
Join Date: Apr 2013
Location: Canada

iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by bruce.augenstein@comcast. View Post
Of course.

On the other hand, your assumptions are off base.

The current E63 wagon weighs 4510 pounds (according to Motor Trend), and it is EPA rated at 15/23, losing 1 mpg to the sedan on both fronts. At a guess, the AWD 2014 sedan will come in at about the same mileage as the current wagon because of AWD, although it'll weigh 100-150 pounds less.

Both mileage numbers are pretty respectable especially if compared to the current M3.

The car costs more than an M3, but so what? It's a luxury sedan that just happens to go like a striped ape. You know. Power ash trays, quiet as a tomb at cruise, then all hell breaks loose when you punch it, and your eyeballs shorten up by a diopter or two.

So, fuel costs are down, insurance will be up due to MSRP differences, maintenance no different from other Benzes. What's the beef?

According to Car & Driver, the vehicle also just happens to be a sharper handler than the M5, although I must say I have high hopes for the new competition package about to become available on the Bimmer.

Bruce
I think you missed my point. I meant why buy any M or AMG sedan compared the more entry level 5 series or E class, not compared to the older AMG E class. You can get the same luxury interior while saving a lot of money. My point is why does anyone need 500-600 hp just to drive to the store and buy groceries? Even race cars don't come with that much power. For a road car, 300-400 hp is really all you need. Anymore than that is overkill.
Appreciate 0
      04-29-2013, 01:37 PM   #66
lux
First Lieutenant
United_States
13
Rep
341
Posts

Drives: 2015 M3 F80 dct
Join Date: Jan 2010
Location: SoCal

iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Majin Buu View Post
I think you missed my point. I meant why buy any M or AMG sedan compared the more entry level 5 series or E class, not compared to the older AMG E class. You can get the same luxury interior while saving a lot of money. My point is why does anyone need 500-600 hp just to drive to the store and buy groceries? Even race cars don't come with that much power. For a road car, 300-400 hp is really all you need. Anymore than that is overkill.
There really is no NEED for these cars but this is all about desire and luxury at this level. AWD makes sense for the E63 and will allow maximum use of all that excess engine power. I look forward to comparisons between the M5 Competition Package versus the E63S.
__________________
2015 F80 M3 | AW | SO | DCT | All OEM
2011 e90 M3 | SSII | FR | ZCP | DCT | Full Akra Evo | AngeliBright
Appreciate 0
Post Reply

Bookmarks

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Forum Jump


All times are GMT -4. The time now is 02:35 AM.




m3post
m3post
Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.7.0
Copyright ©2000 - 2015, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
1Addicts.com, BIMMERPOST.com, E90Post.com, F30Post.com, M3Post.com, ZPost.com, 5Post.com, 6Post.com, 7Post.com, XBimmers.com logo and trademark are properties of BIMMERPOST