BMW M3 Forum (E90 E92)

BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   M3Post - BMW M3 Forum > E90/E92 M3 Technical Topics > Engine, Transmission, Exhaust, Drivetrain, ECU Software Modifications

GTB Performance

04-22-2013, 08:25 PM   #1
M3amigos
HP addict

Drives: 2008 Jerez Black E93 6MT

Talking Megan Exhaust - Custom Tips

Has anyone replaced the tips on their Megan Racing Exhaust? Two of my tips were damaged in shipment and I'll need to find some replacements. Ideally I'd like to find a set that can be easily riveted or clamped in place without the need for professional installation? Any ideas or tips?

04-22-2013, 08:48 PM   #2
SilentAttack
Major

Drives: 08 E90 Jerez Black 6MT

Id send it back n get a new exhaust
      04-22-2013, 08:59 PM   #3
rjd598
Brigadier General

Drives: 10' M3

Garage List
2010 BMW M3  [4.50]
1999 BMW M3  [0.00]
I see what you did there
      04-22-2013, 09:43 PM   #4
M3amigos
HP addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by SilentAttack View Post
Id send it back n get a new exhaust
Bought it used from another member. I filed an insurance claim with UPS and i'm just going to replace them.
      04-22-2013, 11:42 PM   #5
ILSMKU
BMW FTW

Drives: E92 M3

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by M3amigos View Post
Bought it used from another member. I filed an insurance claim with UPS and i'm just going to replace them.

I have three suggestions:

1.) Stick a broom handle in the tips and circle it around and around. You might be able to true the tips enough to where its not so bad looking for the time being. I did that on one of mine once when I dropped the exhaust on accident.

2.) You could also remove the rivets and take the tips to a exhaust shop with one of those tip extender machines and just have him round it back out. It like goes into the tip and expands it outward. Im sure they could stretch it back into place without making it bigger.

3.) I think the tips are 3 1/4th in circumference. Remeasure them and go to a muffler shop and find some pipe that size. Cut 4 new tips, paint them black and rivet them back on.
///2013 AW 6MT E92 ZCP M3/// Black 359M Wheels/BMW Performance Carbon Fiber Spoiler and Mirror Caps/Arkym AeroSport Front Lip/Turner 15MM Spacers/LUX 8 LED Halo/IND Gloss Black Grills, Gills and M3 Emblem/30% 3M Tint/BMW Interior LED/MusicCar Subwoofer Enclosure/JL Audio 12" W6 Sub and XD600:1 Amp/Euro Sunglasses Tray/Ceramic Coated Megan Racing Exhaust/AFe Dry Air Filter/RPI Intake Scoops/Euro MDM/Feature Coded.
ILSMKU is offline   No_Country
      04-23-2013, 12:19 AM   #6
alynM3
Captain

Drives: '12 JB E92

Garage List
2012 BMW M3  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by ILSMKU View Post

1.) Stick a broom handle in the tips and circle it around and around. You might be able to true the tips enough to where its not so bad looking for the time being. I did that on one of mine once when I dropped the exhaust on accident.

2.) You could also remove the rivets and take the tips to a exhaust shop with one of those tip extender machines and just have him round it back out. It like goes into the tip and expands it outward. Im sure they could stretch it back into place without making it bigger.

3.) I think the tips are 3 1/4th in circumference. Remeasure them and go to a muffler shop and find some pipe that size. Cut 4 new tips, paint them black and rivet them back on.
I like his option 3. Post what you end up doing as I want to change my Megan tips too just because I want something a little bigger and black instead of burnt blue. If I figure out something soon I would also sell you my Megan tips.
alynM3 is offline   United_States
      04-23-2013, 09:24 AM   #7
M3amigos
HP addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by ILSMKU View Post

Great suggestions, thanks for the input. I think I'll bend them back the best I can and go ahead and install the exhaust. That way I can see how much room I have to work with for larger tips. I'll take it to a few muffler shops and see what they can offer. At the very least, I'll just purchase a set of the megan tips. If you guys know of any other specific tips that will fit, please let me know. The Megan tips are an uncommon size compared to most of the aftermarket stuff, so it may be difficult to find replacements.
      04-23-2013, 12:39 PM   #8
M3amigos
HP addict

Another pic...Sad since the previous owner did such a good job on recoating these tips...
Attached Images

04-23-2013, 12:57 PM   #9
mkPOTO
Mr. Nice Says Hello

Drives: 1999 528I

Garage List
they look similar to the bmw setup with the tips, just find out if you can purchase new ones. Drill out the old rivets and then put new tips on and rivet it back

EVOLVE E600 BMW E92 M3
      04-23-2013, 02:03 PM   #10
tmntmn
///M

Drives: e92 M3/M-DCT

those tips looks so nice to bad it got damage, get them replace and put it on. Got my Megan w/TP installed on Saturday and love it!
MODS: MODECARBON V2 GTS FRONT LIP & REAR DIFFUSER, AA GREEN FILTER, RPI SCOOPS, PSW, Verstraβe Extended DCT Shifter, ZCP WHEELS (SEMI-GLOSS), OHLINS R&T, Megan Exhaust, ACM TP, BMW LED INTERIOR, BLACKOUT W/ORION V4 LED AE, OSRAM CBI
tmntmn is offline   United_States
      04-23-2013, 09:56 PM   #11
advans
Advansolosis

Drives: ///M+////AMG

i've seen some sexy APR Matte black tips for a B8 S4.... Idk if APR sells it..but here..

http://www.goapr.com/

otherwise, you can get a set of those "8" dual oval ones from the porsches... like how DK has it on his M5...

2011///M3_ZCP:
2009_550i_MSport_daily_driver
      05-06-2013, 01:16 PM   #12
M3amigos
HP addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by alynM3 View Post
I like his option 3. Post what you end up doing as I want to change my Megan tips too just because I want something a little bigger and black instead of burnt blue. If I figure out something soon I would also sell you my Megan tips.
I just installed my exhaust this weekend, and for the time being I bent the tips back the best I could with some pliers and a hammer. I haven't yet found a direct replacement due to the short length of these tips, so I'm going to check with a few local exhaust shops to see what they can offer.

Do you or anyone else have a set of these titanium tips they want to sell me? I called Megan Racing but they didn't seem very helpful, they said it would be a special order with an 8 week lead time, and they couldn't quote a price right away.
      05-06-2013, 01:28 PM   #13
alynM3
Captain

Drives: '12 JB E92

Garage List
2012 BMW M3  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by M3amigos View Post
I just installed my exhaust this weekend, and for the time being I bent the tips back the best I could with some pliers and a hammer. I haven't yet found a direct replacement due to the short length of these tips, so I'm going to check with a few local exhaust shops to see what they can offer.

Do you or anyone else have a set of these titanium tips they want to sell me? I called Megan Racing but they didn't seem very helpful, they said it would be a special order with an 8 week lead time, and they couldn't quote a price right away.
if/when I have mine changed, you can have my stock one for free. I will let you know.
alynM3 is offline   United_States
      05-06-2013, 02:28 PM   #14
M3amigos
HP addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by alynM3 View Post
if/when I have mine changed, you can have my stock one for free. I will let you know.
Thats very kind, keep me posted, thanks!
      09-11-2013, 09:53 PM   #15
pkimM3r
Banned

Drives: m3 saloon in granny mode.

Any update on this? Pictures? I need to change my tips as well.
      09-11-2013, 10:03 PM   #16
satrenidk
Enlisted Member

Drives: bmw

they look similar to the bmw setup with the tips.