BMW M3 Forum (E90 E92)

BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   M3Post - BMW M3 Forum > M3 (E90 / E92 / E93) > M3 Photos/Video/Media Gallery

INDustry distribution

09-04-2016, 08:42 AM   #1
uncle_sam
Philippines
Rep
Drives: e92 M3 DCT Frozen Red

Meet Ziva: A special M3 story

Iíve been a Bimmer fan ever since I crossed over from previous Jap rides back 15 yrs back. My first, an e46 325i, sealed me for life with the Brand. That silky smooth iL-6 engine and chassis just gave me countless hours of pure driving pleasure. Even as my (& familyís) needs changed subsequently, I didnít stray away from BMW. Two e53 X5dís followed one after the other. These SAVís were rock solid brutes, yet refined enough to pound the pock-marked pavements of MetroManila-PH. Yes, and having your cake and eat it too, with both power and economy both in hand! Thatís why I am on my 3rd X5d, this time an e70, now on its 2-yr run on DD duties.
But an M car kept harking back in my mind (after that short 3er intro). Mid-life crisis or not, I guess, a lot of us dream of the day when we can afford and get ourselves our toy car. That time has come and bugged me for awhile as I was preparing to return from an 8-yr expat posting and finally retire at end-yr. I was imagining how a turbo iL6 M3 (F80) would have been like. Wow, right? Especially coming from the e46. But its brand-new price just deflated that dream. And after scouring through online, there werenít yet enough pre-owned M3/M4ís lying around since its launch in Phils last yr.
So my sights veered off to another German, the Cayman from Porsche. A baby-911 became an exciting proposition, an affordable Porsche within reach! So I scouted around until I found a fresh 6k-km sample which I test-drove to my delight. Ah, the steering and the balance (itís mid-engine). Sweet boxer. Nearly brought it home right there, but I had to check with the wifey first, as a matter of courtesy (he, he.) So I told her about my future Cayman toy car, and she promptly burst my bubble. :thumb down SchucksÖShe said sheís fine with the sportscar/toy car thingy, but she wanted something that would want to drive as well. For her, a Porsche is too distinct and eye-catching, and sheíd be worrying every time where to park and leave it! She suggested instead a more understated Q-car which she can bring to drive. So itís off to look for an M, again.
So I went back to my favorite dealer (Prestige) to ask my old sales mgr for available pre-ownedís. He was the same guy who sold me the e70 2-yrs ago from their last remaining unsold stock and got a huge discount though brand new even as the F15ís were already being sold. Lo and behold, he then showed and offered me this red e92 M3 tucked behind its newer YMB F82 sibling. Brand new, not yet registered, only 31-kms on the clock, M-DCT, individual exterior. Best part was the asking price for this last unit of its kind in the country. The frozen red exterior on black novilo interior did not immediately sing to me at first. But a V8 monster looks to me a keeper, so I went off to negotiate for a good deal. A few days later, my guy came back to confirm that my counter offer was agreed Ė got the 2-yr depreciation cost knocked off from the brand new price. Literally, a steal!
Itís now been 3 months since I brought her home. And yes, thereís nothing like that V8 growl. It does keep on putting a smile on my face. The sound, the never ending pull even if I could only bring it to 5k revs under break-in. Exhilarating, canít wait to floor it to 8k!
Just loving it so far. It runs/feels much tighter to drive, specially coming off from the lighter steering of X5 and even my old e46 325. Tried it on the twisties up the mountain road south of the city and it was heaven. Tail easily comes out but the balance to bring it back to line is just amazing for my amateurish driving! Surprisingly, compliant (am on 18s) on comfort mode. A bit disappointed that this one doesnít come with M-Drive button. But it comes with Drive-logic choices, 5 on D or S modes, plus power and edc settings. So hey, thatís more than enough for me to handle and play around with, I guess. Interior fit and finish is superb IMHO. Not too many buttons, easy on the eyes inside out. And the exterior paint constantly grows on me too. Officially, itís called frozen red, i.e. matte finish. The specs says itís actually a Sakhir Orange base overlayed with the matte coat on top. Somehow, I am liking more and more the sheen rather than the clear shine of this matte. Looks textured and frankly, quite easy to clean and maintain. I did read that matte hides scratches, swirls and light marks quite well.
For now, Iím half-way thru the break-in at 2k kms. I actually look forward coming home to Manila for short trips every month so far, if only to her out. Already stretched her legs quite a few times and the last one was together in a fun run with the BMWCCP (PH club) on a rainy weeked! Not a few of the guys kept asking me where I got it wrapped. They were all impressed she came in this stock matte finish!
Oh yeah, btw I named her after that beautiful Fed agent in NCIS TV series (played by actor Cote de Pablo). So guys, meet Ziva below:

There's something about the e92's smoother clean lines that looks more classic than a F80's angular creases. At least, to me...

Liking that glossy sheen in lieu of the mirror shine

That hood bulge/dome commands respect on road. Angel eyes and gaping intakes upfront stare you down like - try messing me with me, feller.

Nice butt plus screams from those quad tips!

V8 singing, er growling in the rain, during club's rainy sunday fun run.

Sedate cockpit. Comfy touch and feel inside overall.
Different carbon fibre surface on leather dash is nice touch.

Red stitching on novilo and ///M emboss are understated yet elegant.

Individual, says the name plate. Frozen Red Metallic = Sakhir Orange matte (?) . Interesting, BMW...

Thanks and cheers, Uncle
Appreciate 2
      09-04-2016, 09:04 AM   #2
Blindside_137
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: '09 E93 Space Gray 328

Great story! Congrats on the steal! I remember hating the design of the E92 when it first came out, I thought the outgoing E46 was perfect. But over time I grew to absolutely love the design of the E92.

While I think the new M3 and M4 are stunning designs, for some reason I agree with you that the E92 is much more simpler and somehow it just flows better. Each line has a purpose, and the bumpers are elegant and aggressive without being too busy. It also doesn't look "old" when it's on the road. A very beautiful car that still has an interior I think is better than the new one as well. But this isn't a comparison thread so I hope I don't derail this great post.

Congrats and enjoy! It looks amazing!
Eibach Pro kit|Bilstein Sport Shocks|M3 Edition Grilles|Painted Reflectors|Matte Black Vinyl Window Trim|CF Performance Spoiler|35% Tint|19" Satin Black Avant Garde M359|Lux H8 V3|OEM Aero Lip|M3 Side Skirts|M3 Mirrors with Performance CF caps|LCI Tails|M-tech Rear|Duke Dynamics CF Performance Diffuser|Cyba 4.0 Black Chrome
Appreciate 0
      09-04-2016, 09:09 AM   #3
SSJTrunks523
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: '07 328xic '11.0 M3 DCT

Garage List
Brand new! That's awesome. I do fear for the car. Hopefully your wife cares where she parks it haha. I wouldn't say the red matte is exactly sedated, but the M3 is easier for non-car people to just see as another BMW.

Congrats!

2011.0 E92 M3 M-DCT ZCP ZTP ZPP Black Wrapped Jerez Black + 2007 E92 328xic 6MT
2007 YZF-R6 + 2001 Honda Shadow ACE
1989 RS Camaro - HO 350, Dynomax headers, flowmaster AT exhaust, 4.56 gears
2015 STI Launch Edition
Appreciate 0
      09-04-2016, 09:34 AM   #4
uncle_sam
Philippines
Rep

@[Blindside_137]: thanks!

Few more pics and comments -

Those recessed side markers subtly distinguish from the usual 3er.
Quite like the gap and flush on the 265 rears. Will stay with the 18s for the compliant ride.

And my first mod, so far. Nurburgring sticker...ha, ha.

Seriously, the car's nearly complete as far as I'm concerned. Don't really plan to modify her a lot. Much like a smart lady, less make-up the better.
Have a few things in mind though, already in the pipeline (coming soon) are:
- Stoptech BBK ST40 front and rear kits, for better braking feel (and the looks too)
- Akra Slip-ons. Wanna hear more of the V8 growl without waking up the whole neighbourhood!
- K&N filter. Did consider the entire CAI assembly but marginal performance for the stiff price. This filter will do just fine.
Appreciate 1
      09-04-2016, 10:30 AM   #5
buddalun
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 11' VO 1M & E92 M3

Beautiful car! Welcome.
Appreciate 0
      09-04-2016, 10:45 AM   #6
radiofrequency
Field Marshall
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2011 M3 ZCP + 2014 911 C4S

I appreciate your lead up narrative to the purchase of your car. I too started with a 325i, and nothing (IMHO) comes close to the silky smoothness of that straight 6 motor. I did go through a period where I owned two 335i's prior to my M3 purchase, and like you, also owned two X535D's back to back. The torque on the X535D is simply ridiculous, most people have no idea how the newer diesels work, that motor simply doesn't run out of power! I noticed from the photographs you posted that your new car appears to have come stock with the MPE (the M Performance Exhaust), though I c be mistaken. While there is nothing like the sound (and quality) of the Akra, it will draw attention, so give it some thought if you and your wife are looking to avoid drawing notice to your vehicle. I mention this because I was initially disappointed after my MPE install, I had been on the stock rear muffler for two or so years prior to the install. Frankly, after the install of the MPE, I could not detect if it sounded any louder than the stock setup. Fast forward 5 000 miles and the MPE has "matured" with a sound all of its own. It definitely sounds like a V8 with a deep rumble, no drone while cruising, but it certainly hits all the right buttons for me. The Akra, IMHO, has a wonderful sound all of its own, and I would have probably selected it over all others, though my car was still in warranty so decided on the OEM MPE. Drive in good health!
Appreciate 0
      09-04-2016, 11:47 AM   #7
uncle_sam
Philippines
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by radiofrequency View Post
I appreciate your lead up narrative to the purchase of your car. I too started with a 325i, and nothing (IMHO) comes close to the silky smoothness of that straight 6 motor. I did go through a period where I owned two 335i's prior to my M3 purchase, and like you, also owned two X535D's back to back. The torque on the X535D is simply ridiculous, most people have no idea how the newer diesels work, that motor simply doesn't run out of power! I noticed from the photographs you posted that your new car appears to have come stock with the MPE (the M Performance Exhaust), though I c be mistaken. While there is nothing like the sound (and quality) of the Akra, it will draw attention, so give it some thought if you and your wife are looking to avoid drawing notice to your vehicle. I mention this because I was initially disappointed after my MPE install, I had been on the stock rear muffler for two or so years prior to the install. Frankly, after the install of the MPE, I could not detect if it sounded any louder than the stock setup. Fast forward 5 000 miles and the MPE has "matured" with a sound all of its own. It definitely sounds like a V8 with a deep rumble, no drone while cruising, but it certainly hits all the right buttons for me. The Akra, IMHO, has a wonderful sound all of its own, and I would have probably selected it over all others, though my car was still in warranty so decided on the OEM MPE. Drive in good health!

@[radiofrequency]: Glad to hear from someone with similar tastes for both utes and toy car. As for the exhaust, unfortunately it ain't MPE. Wish it were. I then initially checked out the MPE with the M dealer here in Singapore (where am based now). The SA showed me and I liked the sound but turns out it was much more expensive than the Akra Slips! Think it's also lighter too than the MPE Inconel material. So am ordering the Akra. Thanks for sharing your MPE feedback.
Appreciate 0
      09-04-2016, 11:58 AM   #8
Amirsm3
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: 2011 Space Grey e90 M3

Tang ina, pare. Write novels for a living?

Kidding. Frozen red looks delicious!

BMWCCA:518970
Appreciate 0
      09-04-2016, 12:11 PM   #9
Helmsman
Colonel
Sweden
Rep
Drives: 2011 E90 M3 ZCP

Brand new tucked away - Congrats man! What happend, how come its been sitting for years (assuming its s '13)?
Appreciate 0
      09-04-2016, 12:57 PM   #10
E46M3forRay
GŁdentyte
United_States
Rep
Drives: E90 M3 and E90 335i

Garage List
interesting find. This one's a hidden gem and a rare one to boot !!

Nice car Kabayan ..

CURRENT - Alpine Weiss E90 M3 6MT | CURRENT - Platinum Bronze E90 335i twin turbo AT | CURRENT - Toyota FJ Cruiser AT | SOLD - E46 M3 Vert 6MT | SOLD - E39 Dinan M5 6MT | SOLD - B5 S4 bi-turbo 6MT | SOLD - ML55 AMG AT | SOLD - EVO VIII turbo 6MT | SOLD - Integra GSR turbo 5MT
Appreciate 0
      09-04-2016, 02:31 PM   #11
E90M3velocity
First Lieutenant
Philippines
Rep
Drives: Silverstone II E90 M3

Nice M3 pare!
      09-04-2016, 06:13 PM   #12
Denk
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: e92 M3 ZCP

Wow, very unique color! Yes, instant gratification with the S65.
Appreciate 1
      09-04-2016, 08:00 PM   #13
E90M3velocity
First Lieutenant
Philippines
Rep
Drives: Silverstone II E90 M3

Quote:
Originally Posted by SSJTrunks523 View Post
Brand new! That's awesome. I do fear for the car. Hopefully your wife cares where she parks it haha. I wouldn't say the red matte is exactly sedated, but the M3 is easier for non-car people to just see as another BMW.

Congrats!
Parking garages in Philippines is no joke, made for small JDM cars with almost everyone parking racer style (butt first) haha.
      09-05-2016, 01:46 AM   #14
dean87
Private
Australia
Rep
Drives: E92 M3

Stunning colour!
Appreciate 0
      09-05-2016, 09:40 AM   #15
uncle_sam
Philippines
Rep

Mga Pare: good to hear my Kabayans chiming in. Ayos!

@All: your comments are helpful and encouraging.

One more question: got no M-Drive button on steering wheel nor in iDrive. Am I really missing much without either of these? I can still set Power, EDC & DSC plus program up to 5-D (auto) & 5-S (sequential). Kinda wondering if the BPM tune worth the 1k bucks for on-demand M-Drive at your fingertips. Thoughts?
Appreciate 0
      09-05-2016, 12:00 PM   #16
bgalex
Enlisted Member
United_States
Rep
Drives: Sold:E46 M3 Current:E90 M3

Love the color! And nice story leading up to your ourchase
Appreciate 0
      09-06-2016, 02:23 AM   #17
roastbeef
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: E92 M3

thats really cool you got a brand new e92 m3 in 2016.
      09-06-2016, 03:49 PM   #18
blast1st
Test
Philippines
Rep
Drives: DAILY DRIVER IMFAMOUS 'H-FIT'

good pick up kababayan!!
Appreciate 0
      09-07-2016, 05:13 AM   #19
Agent-GHQ
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: '13 AW ///M3 E92 MT Comp Pkg

If only yours was a manual and ZCP it would have been epic score!
Appreciate 1
      09-07-2016, 07:34 AM   #20
schnitzed328
Rep
Drives: 2011 m3 e92 zcp dct mw

huy ang ganda.!!!!!...

congrats....get that akra .....i love mine
Appreciate 0
      09-07-2016, 08:27 AM   #21
digitalpersona
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2012 E93 M3 Blk/Blk

It seems you've found quite the time capsule there, a diamond sample. Keep her well and you might have yourself a valuable investment
Appreciate 0