BMW M3 Forum (E90 E92)

BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   M3Post - BMW M3 Forum > M3 (E90 / E92 / E93) > M3 Photos/Video/Media Gallery

BPM

03-04-2016, 12:04 PM   #1
SheaButter
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: AC Schnitzer E93 M3

*Updated Final Pics* Handmade Rear Trunk Lip Photo Thread

Alright guys, I just couldn't decide on which rear lip to buy for my E93. I went back and forth between quite a few, and just couldn't decide. So here I am, at a friends house for a few days and I had nothing to do while they were at work. So I decided to hand-make a trunk lip . It will probably take me a few more days to finish it. Enjoy!

So I have made quite a few custom parts for my own cars, and friend's cars. Prep, and a clean working area is always a MUST!

Started off by masking off the trunk:

Next I slapped the clay on and began molding the shape BY HAND:

After I finally ended up with the rough shape that I wanted, you just have to smooth it out:

Next up, wet the clay a bit and add a layer of tin foil and then clear tape over the clay (clear tape being on top). This is to prevent the fiberglass resin from sticking to, and destroying the clay:

Next up, add a layer of resin and let it get a bit tacky before applying the first layer of fiberglass sheets. I had to slice them up into smaller pieces to help with the process. I will be doing 3 layers total. It won't look smooth until I sand it all down:

Since most people on here don't have an E93 (or even like them) I'm not even sure if any1 will really want to see more. Lmk if you guys want to see more of the process (it's sort of annoying looking for stopping points to snap progress pics with resin all over my gloves). Otherwise I'll just post the final results. Cheers!

E93 M3 AC Schnitzer Carbon Fiber - Fully Gutted Exhaust and muffler delete | 2007 DB9 Bone Stock | 2016 428i

Last edited by SheaButter; 03-24-2016 at 11:29 PM.
Appreciate 1
      03-04-2016, 02:19 PM   #2
Shredicus
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 09 SSII E92 M3

Damn now that's a DIY! Cool stuff man
Appreciate 0
      03-04-2016, 06:58 PM   #3
blue flowers
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: M3

Looks like a cool project. Do you have any pictures of what the finished lip is going to look like?

I've made fiberglass molds/bucks in the past, and the only way to really get a straight line, or hard edge on something like this is to make it out of wood and then use clay or bondo to smooth out transitions between pieces. I'm anticipating that the spoiler you'll have made may end up being wavy and crooked. Would be interested to see the finished product though!

Last edited by blue flowers; 03-04-2016 at 07:08 PM.
Appreciate 0
      03-04-2016, 08:20 PM   #4
SheaButter
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shredicus View Post

Thanks, so much time involved! I almost regret not just buying one now, haha. But once I'm done it'll all be worth it!

E93 M3 AC Schnitzer Carbon Fiber - Fully Gutted Exhaust and muffler delete | 2007 DB9 Bone Stock | 2016 428i
Appreciate 0
      03-04-2016, 08:22 PM   #5
SheaButter
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shredicus View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by blue flowers View Post
Looks like a cool project. Do you have any pictures of what the finished lip is going to look like?

I've made fiberglass molds/bucks in the past, and the only way to really get a straight line, or hard edge on something like this is to make it out of wood and then use clay or bondo to smooth out transitions between pieces. I'm anticipating that the spoiler you'll have made may end up being wavy and crooked. Would be interested to see the finished product though!
You're dead on! I have made thing so may different ways, this is by far the LEAST efficient way IMO. But I am at a friend's house with sporadic time and tools. So there will be patching, filling, and more sanding than I care for. I promise in the end it'll look from the factory tho.

Appreciate 0
      03-05-2016, 05:05 PM   #6
Helmsman
Lieutenant Colonel
Sweden
Rep
Drives: 2011 E90 M3 ZCP

Yes Sir, certainly like to see the final result!
Appreciate 0
      03-05-2016, 05:18 PM   #7
///M Power-Belgium
Major General
Belgium
Rep
Drives: ///M3-DCT- E92 Silverstone II

Quote:
Originally Posted by SheaButter View Post
You're dead on! I have made thing so may different ways, this is by far the LEAST efficient way IMO. But I am at a friend's house with sporadic time and tools. So there will be patching, filling, and more sanding than I care for. I promise in the end it'll look from the factory tho.
Your project looks really good
But I'm afraid for the long term vibrations from road bumbs , shocks from the suspension , body is actually working ect...
Those can cause cracks in your project ..
Let's hope I'm wrong , and I hope to see the end result
Thanks for sharing..
      03-05-2016, 06:08 PM   #8
Blindside_137
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: '09 E93 Space Gray 328

That is insane! Can't wait to see how it turns out
Eibach Pro kit|Bilstein Sport Shocks|M3 Edition Grilles|Painted Reflectors|Matte Black Vinyl Window Trim|CF Performance Spoiler|35% Tint|19" Satin Black Avant Garde M359|Lux H8 V3|OEM Aero Lip|M3 Side Skirts|M3 Mirrors with Performance CF caps|LCI Tails|M-tech Rear|Duke Dynamics CF Performance Diffuser|Cyba 4.0 Black Chrome
Appreciate 0
      03-24-2016, 11:29 PM   #9
SheaButter
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by blue flowers View Post

The fitment is better than any lip I have ever purchased, however it was damn near impossible to avoid some little waves in the finish, mostly due to the cheap fiberglass I used . It wasn't something I was going to keep on forever, was just killing some time at a friend's house.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Helmsman View Post
Yes Sir, certainly like to see the final result!
Pics below

Quote:
Originally Posted by ///M Power-Belgium View Post
Your project looks really good
But I'm afraid for the long term vibrations from road bumbs , shocks from the suspension , body is actually working ect...
Those can cause cracks in your project ..
Let's hope I'm wrong , and I hope to see the end result
Thanks for sharing..
I don't think vibrations will be an issue, it seems super solid, plus it's held on by 30lb 3M so the rubber acts like a damper.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blindside_137 View Post
That is insane! Can't wait to see how it turns out
Turned out pretty well, but not 100% perfect.

To anybody that wants this, I am giving it away for free. It was just a fun project to kill some time until I pull the trigger on whatever Carbon Fiber one that I end up getting at Bimmerfest this summer. Cheers guys!

Appreciate 0
      03-26-2016, 03:09 PM   #10
skins333
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: '08 E93 BMW M3 MR/'12 x5d SG

awesome work man, looks great!!! post some close up pics please when get a chance
Appreciate 0
      03-26-2016, 05:54 PM   #11
cenix
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: E90 M3 ZCP, F15

Looks similar to the E90 M3 CRT rear spoiler.
Appreciate 0
      03-30-2016, 03:10 PM   #12
SheaButter
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by skins333 View Post
awesome work man, looks great!!! post some close up pics please when get a chance
Thanks! I have actually already pulled it off and given it to another M3 owner I'll see if he can snap some shots on his AW M3 and post them up on this thread. I just wanted a fun project to kill some time

Appreciate 0
      03-30-2016, 03:12 PM   #13
SheaButter
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by cenix View Post
Looks similar to the E90 M3 CRT rear spoiler.
Great eye! That's actually the design I was going for

Appreciate 0