BMW M3 Forum (E90 E92)

BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   M3Post - BMW M3 Forum > E90/E92 M3 Technical Topics > Track / Autocross / Dragstrip / Driving Techniques

European Auto Source

04-19-2013, 03:44 PM   #1
Tyranitar
Private First Class

Drives: 2012 E92 M3

New M3 Owner. Never been to a track.

Hi guys. I recently bought a used 2012 M3 and the idea of tracking it has been on my mind for awhile. A couple of my friends have asked me to go along with them when I had my Evo, but I never really cared to track back then. Recently, one of those friends asked me to take the M to a track near palm springs (forgot the name) because he wants a track buddy and thinks that I'd have a blast going. Most likely going to go. So now to the point. Is there anything I need to prep before I go? Anything I need to worry about?
Tyranitar is offline   United_States
      04-19-2013, 03:53 PM   #2
lcrain
Captain

Drives: e36 m3, TT-RS

Is it an event where you will have instruction? That would be my only concern, I think all novice drivers should have instruction during their first few events just to get the track layout down.

The M3 is more than capable in stock form, I wouldn't even worry about tire pressures on your first event. Just have fun! Put the car in MDM mode (pretty sure all 2012s have it), it will allow for more fun without fully disabling the traction control.

You will be working harder than you would think so make sure you stay hydrated (bring a cooler with water, gatorade etc), wear sunscreen. You will need a helmet, which you can likely rent at the track but look into it.

You will be hooked!
      04-19-2013, 05:48 PM   #3
llis
octane chick

Drives: Ms

Garage List
2003 BMW M5  [0.00]
2002 BMW 530i (fs)  [0.00]
2013 BMW M3  [5.00]
Be sure to check out http://www.m3post.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=179 (In fact, mods may move this post there.) If you're really interested in tracking, plenty of help on the boards! And I can't 2nd Icrain's recommendation strongly enough: get instruction while there. There are several clubs where you get try it out, get some instruction and gain a better feeling of how your new car REALLY handles.

Have fun!

2013 E92 ///M3 ZCP 6MT Speed Yellow 2003 E39 ///M5
llis is offline   United_States
      04-20-2013, 02:57 AM   #4
Tyranitar
Private First Class

Quote:
Originally Posted by llis View Post
Be sure to check out http://www.m3post.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=179 (In fact, mods may move this post there.) If you're really interested in tracking, plenty of help on the boards! And I can't 2nd Icrain's recommendation strongly enough: get instruction while there. There are several clubs where you get try it out, get some instruction and gain a better feeling of how your new car REALLY handles.

Have fun!
yeah, I didn't notice that subforum until after i posted this

Yes there will be instruction if I go. As it would be me and another newbie to the track with some normal trackers.
      04-20-2013, 07:33 AM   #5
OneMmmm
Second Lieutenant

Drives: E92 M3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tyranitar
Hi guys. I recently bought a used 2012 M3 and the idea of tracking it has been on my mind for awhile. A couple of my friends have asked me to go along with them when I had my Evo, but I never really cared to track back then. Recently, one of those friends asked me to take the M to a track near palm springs (forgot the name) because he wants a track buddy and thinks that I'd have a blast going. Most likely going to go. So now to the point. Is there anything I need to prep before I go? Anything I need to worry about?
Read this thread, too... Could save you some $$$ and a headache:

http://www.m3post.com/forums/showthread.php?t=830580
OneMmmm is offline   United_States
      04-20-2013, 08:37 AM   #6
CanAutM3
Brigadier General

Drives: 2008 E92 M3 (2015 M4 on order)

Garage List
2008 BMW M3  [0.00]
2006 Audi S4  [0.00]
I recommend reading through the tracking sub forum, there is tons of useful info there
CanAutM3 is online now   Canada
      04-20-2013, 03:02 PM   #7
SlowSaloonM3
Major General

Drives: m3 saloon in granny mode.

Is this chuckwalla?

First time just pay attention in class and learn the rules and safety while driving on track first. Get instruction on every lap if possible.

When is this episode coming?!
My thoughts on M5/6 vs M3/4...i wonder if tuned panamera turbo S owners are laughing at gt3 owners because they have "no chance in a race"
      04-20-2013, 04:55 PM   #8
DBH
First Lieutenant

Drives: 2011 M3 E92

If you have a copy of May Road & Track mag (new format = ugh!), see page 91 for track tips for newbies.
      04-21-2013, 01:42 AM   #9
Tyranitar
Private First Class

Quote:
Originally Posted by pkim1079 View Post
Is this chuckwalla?

First time just pay attention in class and learn the rules and safety while driving on track first. Get instruction on every lap if possible.
Yes that's the place.

And thank you everyone else for some of the helpful links!