BMW M3 Forum (E90 E92)

BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read


Go Back   M3Post - BMW M3 Forum > E90/E92 M3 Technical Topics > Track / Autocross / Dragstrip / Driving Techniques
 
PYSPEED
Post Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
      04-10-2013, 05:56 AM   #1
red998
Lieutenant
9
Rep
512
Posts

 
Drives: E92 SG '10 6MT
Join Date: Jun 2009
Location: Hudson County

iTrader: (0)

TIres

Hey guys looking for some guidance.
i did a couple track days last year and this year I have some big events LRP, Watkins, NJMP. I used Hankook V12s. At NJMP my tires were running in the high 40's for pressure and kept bleeding air out. i was really at the limits towards the middle of the session. My instructor(4yrs drives GT3 and Cayman R modded) agreed on that part.

I am starting the new season and want to get NT01 square set up (18x9.5 265) but they need 5 point harness according to some of the clubs I will registering with. I spoke to a few guys I did the track day with and said it would be a great move up. benefits can be rotated, square set up, etc.

I am not yet ready to convert my car to 5 point harness. What tires can i use that can be rotated(non-directional), not need heavy camber adjustment and get better performance than just street tires?

i did the brake pads and ss lines already. i don't plan on any other mods at this time.

i been searching but not getting the answers I am looking for.

Thanks

R
Appreciate 0
      04-10-2013, 07:35 AM   #2
Shosholoza
Shosholoza
Shosholoza's Avatar
United_States
7
Rep
188
Posts

 
Drives: E92 M3
Join Date: Jul 2011
Location: Melbourne, Florida

iTrader: (1)

Hankook RS3
__________________
SOLD...E92 M3, Competition Package, MDCT, Ground Control Adjustable Camber plates, StopTech 380 BBK, OEM exhaust mod
Appreciate 0
      04-10-2013, 08:56 AM   #3
red998
Lieutenant
9
Rep
512
Posts

 
Drives: E92 SG '10 6MT
Join Date: Jun 2009
Location: Hudson County

iTrader: (0)

Thank you
I wasn't sure if these are directional and rotating them would without any issues.
Appreciate 0
      04-10-2013, 09:04 AM   #4
LiM3y
Major
LiM3y's Avatar
United Kingdom
20
Rep
1,254
Posts

 
Drives: 2008 E90 M3
Join Date: Jun 2009
Location: CT

iTrader: (3)

Quote:
Originally Posted by red998 View Post
Thank you
I wasn't sure if these are directional and rotating them would without any issues.
You can move them backwards and forwards. You can also remount them from side to side.
__________________
Appreciate 0
      04-10-2013, 09:16 PM   #5
arter
collecting toys
arter's Avatar
8
Rep
780
Posts

 
Drives: M3 MCB
Join Date: May 2008
Location: rochester, ny

iTrader: (0)

The Hankook RS3 or the Yokohama AD08 are quite a step up of a trackable street tire from the Hankook V12. I suggest the AD08 as it handles cold and wet ( in NY) much better than the RS3 ( although the RS3 is better on pure hot and dry).

You can run the NT-01 without a 5 point rig as it is the least sticky of the r compounds. But I do suggest running the RS3 or AD-08 first ( many people never make the next step up and stepping up to soon to a R compound can hurt your learning curve on the track ).


Also, for the Hankook V12's ( and the RS3's or AD-08's) you should be keeping the hot tire pressures around 38- 41 psi max. Upper 40's is too high and you are giving up traction. Maybe you should start cold on track days at 30-32 rather than ( say 35? or more)
__________________
2011 e92 M3 Monte Carlo Blue ESS 535
2015 cayman GTS
2006 SLK 55 AMG
Appreciate 0
      04-11-2013, 10:57 AM   #6
bigjae1976
That's what she said...
bigjae1976's Avatar
84
Rep
5,659
Posts

 
Drives: 11 E90 M3 Individual
Join Date: Mar 2006
Location: Milwaukee, WI

iTrader: (12)

Garage List
2004 BMW M3  [4.50]
2011 BMW E90 M3  [5.00]
2013 BMW 328i  [5.00]
I'm assuming that you are a beginner to intermediate student? I'd recommend against NT01s and get a less grippier tire. The RS3 and PSS are good choices. I know...some say that PSS won't handle the track use. They do. It all comes down to managing the tires.

The reason why I recommend against NT01s is that they will allow you to form bad habits. There is more grip so you can get pretty stupid and you'll stay on track. Until you continue to move up and then when things get really fast and they let go. Once the NT01s are making noise...you're already pretty sideways. Stay on street tires and learn how to manage them meaning staying within the limits of grip and not overcooking your tires. Then if you do spin or go off...you'll be doing so at much lower speeds and there is less of a chance of hitting something. You're forced to be smooth on your inputs. Then as you have already experienced, it forces you to manage the tires.

The trick with R-Comps is that you aren't always driving at the max grip of an r-comp...but drive at the max grip of a street tire and then in certain places use that extra grip the R-comp affords. Otherwise you'll cook and cord tires pretty quickly. I've learned this expensive lesson and I see people experience it every weekend. Some learn...others don't care because they have lots of money.

I think the one skill that you really need to have down when going to R-Comps is excellent car control. Generally speaking as tires get stickier and can handle more slip angle...the peakier they are so that means a stickier tire will generally let go more abrubtly. So you really have to be ahead of the car with a really sticky tire.

Here's a video...I was on conti slick scrubs with I would say the car control skills of an average newbie intermediate driver. The car was rotating well before I got onto the rumble strips. Dead silent until I was about 270 degrees.

__________________


Sponsored by Momentum BMW #593...We Bleed BMW BLUE!
Appreciate 0
      04-11-2013, 02:42 PM   #7
Porschefile
Major
Porschefile's Avatar
16
Rep
1,233
Posts

 
Drives: E92 M3
Join Date: Jul 2008
Location: Tennessee

iTrader: (6)

Quote:
Originally Posted by arter View Post
The Hankook RS3 or the Yokohama AD08 are quite a step up of a trackable street tire from the Hankook V12. I suggest the AD08 as it handles cold and wet ( in NY) much better than the RS3 ( although the RS3 is better on pure hot and dry).

You can run the NT-01 without a 5 point rig as it is the least sticky of the r compounds. But I do suggest running the RS3 or AD-08 first ( many people never make the next step up and stepping up to soon to a R compound can hurt your learning curve on the track ).


Also, for the Hankook V12's ( and the RS3's or AD-08's) you should be keeping the hot tire pressures around 38- 41 psi max. Upper 40's is too high and you are giving up traction. Maybe you should start cold on track days at 30-32 rather than ( say 35? or more)
Good advice. I agree that NT01 aren't great for new drivers. High 40's PSI is WAY high. You're still on the steep part of the learning curve if you have a few days total, and RS3 of AD08 will last longer and provide a more progressive breakaway when you lose grip.
Appreciate 0
      04-12-2013, 08:45 AM   #8
FormulaMMM
Major
FormulaMMM's Avatar
United_States
25
Rep
1,447
Posts

 
Drives: E90 M3
Join Date: Oct 2011
Location: Midwest

iTrader: (1)

+1 for RS3s.
__________________
DCT E90 M3: Akrapovic Evolution, KW Clubsport, Stoptech ST-40 Front + Pagid RS29 | Stock Rear + Stoptech SP, Apex ARC-8 + Hankook Ventus S1 noble2 275/35/18 (street), Apex EC-7 18x10 ET25 + Nitto NT01 275/35/18 (track), tbd...
Past: Velos Designwerks Tune, Megan Racing Catback, Macht Schnell Filter
Appreciate 0
      04-12-2013, 04:48 PM   #9
SROC5
Addicted to Track
SROC5's Avatar
United_States
29
Rep
1,647
Posts

 
Drives: E92 M3
Join Date: Apr 2009
Location: USCON

iTrader: (3)

RS3s
__________________

| Akrapovic Evo | ESSi | Swift Spec-R | CF Spoiler | APEX ARC-8 | RS-3 | PFC-08 | DIF |
Appreciate 0
      04-12-2013, 08:47 PM   #10
red998
Lieutenant
9
Rep
512
Posts

 
Drives: E92 SG '10 6MT
Join Date: Jun 2009
Location: Hudson County

iTrader: (0)

Awesome for all the input. I was afraid i would get flamed for the topic.
I thought AD08, RS3, NT01 were all the same. i think i will skip the R comp business and stick to my original plan: ESS FI, KW CS, Biggest BBK, diffusers and spoilers...
Just kidding. square set up with RS3 or AD08 will be a big enough jump. i can keep my street tires in case it gets damp/wet.
Appreciate 0
      04-12-2013, 09:10 PM   #11
w00tw00t
Lieutenant Colonel
w00tw00t's Avatar
United_States
38
Rep
1,735
Posts

 
Drives: 2015 AY M4
Join Date: Oct 2010
Location: Issaquah, WA

iTrader: (11)

plus NT01 will splice open in two days .. their QC has gone down the toilet..
Appreciate 0
      04-13-2013, 07:37 PM   #12
66BM
First Lieutenant
7
Rep
325
Posts

 
Drives: ML63 AMG, E92 M3, E60 M5
Join Date: Jan 2009
Location: Hell

iTrader: (1)

Quote:
Originally Posted by red998 View Post
Hey guys looking for some guidance.
i did a couple track days last year and this year I have some big events LRP, Watkins, NJMP. I used Hankook V12s. At NJMP my tires were running in the high 40's for pressure and kept bleeding air out. i was really at the limits towards the middle of the session. My instructor(4yrs drives GT3 and Cayman R modded) agreed on that part.

I am starting the new season and want to get NT01 square set up (18x9.5 265) but they need 5 point harness according to some of the clubs I will registering with. I spoke to a few guys I did the track day with and said it would be a great move up. benefits can be rotated, square set up, etc.

I am not yet ready to convert my car to 5 point harness. What tires can i use that can be rotated(non-directional), not need heavy camber adjustment and get better performance than just street tires?

i did the brake pads and ss lines already. i don't plan on any other mods at this time.

i been searching but not getting the answers I am looking for.

Thanks

R
Who said you need a five point for a tire upgrade? The real question is how much experience do you have, and how much with this car. I have intermediate students that run R6s. I have never nevers that run PSS. NT01s are fine take some time to heat up and will last you all three days barring any crazy camber /caster setup. What suspension are you running. What else is done to the car. What tires were you running? I ran my E60 M5 for three days on Conti's giving many a student a ride and out "driving" other instructors. It's not always the tire, a lot else goes along with it.
__________________
Appreciate 0
Post Reply

Bookmarks

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Forum Jump


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 03:53 AM.




m3post
Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.7.0
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
1Addicts.com, BIMMERPOST.com, E90Post.com, F30Post.com, M3Post.com, ZPost.com, 5Post.com, 6Post.com, 7Post.com, XBimmers.com logo and trademark are properties of BIMMERPOST