BMW M3 Forum (E90 E92)

BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read


Go Back   M3Post - BMW M3 Forum > M3 (E90 / E92 / E93) > M3 Photos/Video/Media Gallery
 
Post Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
      04-09-2013, 11:21 AM   #1
John Tanglewood
Porn Star
John Tanglewood's Avatar
48
Rep
2,151
Posts

 
Drives: 09' R8 -- 11' M3 (sold)
Join Date: Dec 2009
Location: Stamford, CT

iTrader: (9)

HRE Battleship Grey - Opinions

I'll make this semi-short and sweet, and I guess it's somewhat of a teaser since I didn't take the time for a proper shoot....just wanted to get some quick snaps.

After seeing Biglare's e90 M3 on P44SCs in Battleship Grey..... I wanted...I needed, those wheels and that color.

Fast forward to now and after some pleasant dealings with j2m I was able to obtain his P43SCs in the most perfect and delicious offsets - They came stock in this gorgeous Satin Black, but as i didn't want to put black wheels on my white car, I wanted to change em'. In retrospect I think it was kind of blasphemous to cover the Satin Black because it really was incredible, but it is what it is.

I wanted an off-grey, something not silver, but also not too dark to hide the detail of the wheels. I loved the look of battleship grey in pictures, but in reality I'm not sure I'll be able to live with it. It doesn't have any contrast, and IMG pointed out that it almost looks like a glossed primer

Here are some VERY quick, unedited snaps of the color:









The color looks good in some light and odd in others, almost giving off a slight purple hue at some times.

Another member mentioned to go with Brushed Tinted Clear, so if my shop is capable of doing that type of thing I may try to go with that.

Anyway, if anyone has any other pics of it at the Long Island Meet let me know!

Give me your thoughts!!
__________________

My M3 is for sale here
Appreciate 0
      04-09-2013, 11:25 AM   #2
chris s
Major General
chris s's Avatar
71
Rep
5,490
Posts

 
Drives: 2012 e92 M3
Join Date: Oct 2008
Location: New York

iTrader: (8)

It would have to grow on me i guess....at first glance...i'm not really a fan! love the rims, just not the primer grey look. Why not a color like Roman had his p43SC in?

What size tires did you end up going with? any rubbing?
__________________

2012 MR e92 M3 DCT, fully loaded... ESS VT2-625, Brembo 380, BBS FI's, Akra/Challenge Sport, KW Sleeve kit, Full OEM CF Interior
2008 e92 M3 Coupe 6MT | AW/BLK Extended...SOLD!
Appreciate 0
      04-09-2013, 11:27 AM   #3
KEYON
Brigadier General
KEYON's Avatar
United_States
67
Rep
3,416
Posts

 
Drives: '14 RS5
Join Date: May 2008
Location: LA x SD

iTrader: (6)

Garage List
2011 E92 M3  [4.83]
Love it dude, wouldn't think twice about changing them.
Appreciate 0
      04-09-2013, 11:31 AM   #4
John Tanglewood
Porn Star
John Tanglewood's Avatar
48
Rep
2,151
Posts

 
Drives: 09' R8 -- 11' M3 (sold)
Join Date: Dec 2009
Location: Stamford, CT

iTrader: (9)

Quote:
Originally Posted by chris s View Post
It would have to grow on me i guess....at first glance...i'm not really a fan! love the rims, just not the primer grey look. Why not a color like Roman had his p43SC in?

What size tires did you end up going with? any rubbing?
Thanks for the honest Chris, tis what I was looking for. Romans are a little too dark for me, although I'll admit that color is 100% perfect on black!

I went with Yoko AD08's!!!! - (F) 265/30/19, (R) 295/30/19 - I'm on RD Sport springs with e46 M3 bump stops, and I have ZERO RUBBING. Honestly I couldn't be more happy with the offsets j2m got in the first place, it's aggressive and perfect.

If the color of the wheels is the only thing that needs to be changed, I'd say that's a good problem to have!

Quote:
Originally Posted by KEYON View Post
Love it dude, wouldn't think twice about changing them.
Thanks Keyon! Yeah I guess it's really a matter of opinion/personal preference.

It's a daily driver so you gotta consider living with it day in and out. For the shows it's nice because it's something different.
__________________

My M3 is for sale here
Appreciate 0
      04-09-2013, 11:36 AM   #5
chris3g
Private First Class
2
Rep
189
Posts

 
Drives: 2012 E92 M3
Join Date: Jan 2012
Location: NJ

iTrader: (3)

in my opinion, black is too dark and the battleship grey is too light. My favorite color is the charcoal. i think it would look good on white as well, you get more contrast than with the grey.
Appreciate 0
      04-09-2013, 11:57 AM   #6
Denk
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
23
Rep
1,970
Posts

 
Drives: E92 M3 ZCP
Join Date: May 2011
Location: PNW

iTrader: (2)

I loved the brushed tinted on my P43SC's. They'd look awesome on a white M3. I'm not feeling that gray, too subdued to me...I like a little visual pop.
Appreciate 0
      04-09-2013, 12:11 PM   #7
bobs619
First Lieutenant
bobs619's Avatar
United_States
5
Rep
365
Posts

 
Drives: 2014 Saphire Black F10 M5
Join Date: Mar 2011
Location: San Diego

iTrader: (0)

how about chrome / tinted clear aka 'black chrome'?
Appreciate 0
      04-09-2013, 12:27 PM   #8
j2m
Colonel
j2m's Avatar
Canada
48
Rep
2,452
Posts

 
Drives: '11 E92 M3 DCT
Join Date: Jun 2011
Location: Calgary, Ab

iTrader: (8)

Garage List
2011 BMW E92 M3  [5.00]
I love the color
I think the color on white looks great in pics, but I haven't seen the combo in person.
I don't think it looks bad, it's just not complete yet. I'd do a couple things to finish the look. Paint the "HRE" an offsetting color, needs different center caps and lug conversion to add some contrast/dimension to the center of the wheel. Of course a BBK would look great as well
Biglare's Fiji green BBK and painted letters really brings out a green hue.

BUT if you are not 100% happy, rip them beeatch's off and get them re-done
Attached Images
  
__________________

11' E92 M3 Space Grey | DCT | ESS VT2- 625 | Gintani Race (valved) + Quad Res Catless X-Pipe | KW Sleeve's | GC Camber Plates|Arkym Diffuser | Vorsteiner VRS Lip | P3 Boost Guage | Stud Conversion
PHOTO's: Click Here ESS VT2 625 PHOTOS: Click Here
Appreciate 0
      04-09-2013, 12:31 PM   #9
MSteve5036
Lieutenant
5
Rep
487
Posts

 
Drives: 2008 M3 / 96 328is
Join Date: Dec 2011
Location: blue dot

iTrader: (1)

These wheels are awesome. Color isn't my thing but I agree with people that it could look good with a tinted clear. It looks too flat for me

Edit. Just saw the pics above. Wow does that look sexy. I agree. The wheels are obviously sick but just need a little something to finish it off. Put in your touch now
Appreciate 0
      04-09-2013, 12:31 PM   #10
chris s
Major General
chris s's Avatar
71
Rep
5,490
Posts

 
Drives: 2012 e92 M3
Join Date: Oct 2008
Location: New York

iTrader: (8)

the more i look at the pics, the more i like em... I'd love to see em in person. Maybe stop by izzy's over the weekend?!
__________________

2012 MR e92 M3 DCT, fully loaded... ESS VT2-625, Brembo 380, BBS FI's, Akra/Challenge Sport, KW Sleeve kit, Full OEM CF Interior
2008 e92 M3 Coupe 6MT | AW/BLK Extended...SOLD!
Appreciate 0
      04-09-2013, 12:46 PM   #11
dmk08
///Maniac
dmk08's Avatar
84
Rep
3,510
Posts

 
Drives: 15 F80 MG/SO 6MT
Join Date: Jul 2012
Location: Atlanta

iTrader: (9)

Garage List
I think they look good and would look real good on my Jet Black car. Want to trade for some graphite grey P40S?
Appreciate 0
      04-09-2013, 12:46 PM   #12
Powerbeast
Major General
Powerbeast's Avatar
United_States
146
Rep
7,251
Posts

 
Drives: E90 M3 Dakar Yellow
Join Date: Mar 2009
Location: SoCal

iTrader: (4)

It different, I like it!
Appreciate 0
      04-09-2013, 01:00 PM   #13
tha_good_life
Brigadier General
tha_good_life's Avatar
United_States
68
Rep
3,914
Posts

 
Drives: 2010 JzB E92 M3
Join Date: Jul 2008
Location: Seattle

iTrader: (18)

Garage List
2010 BMW M3  [4.33]
Glossy primer
Appreciate 0
      04-09-2013, 01:02 PM   #14
chris s
Major General
chris s's Avatar
71
Rep
5,490
Posts

 
Drives: 2012 e92 M3
Join Date: Oct 2008
Location: New York

iTrader: (8)

how bout a titanium like finish, like the standard BBS FI color? could look hot in a gloss finish instead of matte or satin.
__________________

2012 MR e92 M3 DCT, fully loaded... ESS VT2-625, Brembo 380, BBS FI's, Akra/Challenge Sport, KW Sleeve kit, Full OEM CF Interior
2008 e92 M3 Coupe 6MT | AW/BLK Extended...SOLD!
Appreciate 0
      04-09-2013, 01:08 PM   #15
John Tanglewood
Porn Star
John Tanglewood's Avatar
48
Rep
2,151
Posts

 
Drives: 09' R8 -- 11' M3 (sold)
Join Date: Dec 2009
Location: Stamford, CT

iTrader: (9)

Quote:
Originally Posted by chris3g View Post
in my opinion, black is too dark and the battleship grey is too light. My favorite color is the charcoal. i think it would look good on white as well, you get more contrast than with the grey.
I understand your thinking on that, however the charcoal is a little to dark for me - that was actually my first choice!...but after some photoshops I wasn't feeling it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Denk View Post
I loved the brushed tinted on my P43SC's. They'd look awesome on a white M3. I'm not feeling that gray, too subdued to me...I like a little visual pop.
I hear you on the visual pop! Any pics of your brushed tinted? I think I tried browsing one of your past threads but the pics weren't showing up!

Quote:
Originally Posted by bobs619 View Post
how about chrome / tinted clear aka 'black chrome'?
I think you're referring to 'Ghost Chrome', which is an AMAZING color!! Unfortunately that's also a little too dark for my taste (would look awesome on black or blue though)... Here it is!


Quote:
Originally Posted by j2m View Post
I love the color
I think the color on white looks great in pics, but I haven't seen the combo in person.
I don't think it looks bad, it's just not complete yet. I'd do a couple things to finish the look. Paint the "HRE" an offsetting color, needs different center caps and lug conversion to add some contrast/dimension to the center of the wheel. Of course a BBK would look great as well
Biglare's Fiji green BBK and painted letters really brings out a green hue.

BUT if you are not 100% happy, rip them beeatch's off and get them re-done
You're 100% right, the stud conversion was something that made a big difference (on both your setup and his!)....Needs some pop. Unfortunately a BBK isn't in my direct future, but i could start with the other things!

Quote:
Originally Posted by MSteve5036 View Post
These wheels are awesome. Color isn't my thing but I agree with people that it could look good with a tinted clear. It looks too flat for me

Edit. Just saw the pics above. Wow does that look sexy. I agree. The wheels are obviously sick but just need a little something to finish it off. Put in your touch now
Thanks man! Yeah it's weird how opinions vary on this color.

Quote:
Originally Posted by chris s View Post
the more i look at the pics, the more i like em... I'd love to see em in person. Maybe stop by izzy's over the weekend?!
Haha yeah man for sure! I live right near him and work down the street from him.

Quote:
Originally Posted by dmk08 View Post
I think they look good and would look real good on my Jet Black car. Want to trade for some graphite grey P40S?
Haha well the P40's are one of my favorite wheels of all time...but I've fallen in love with the Conical series!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Powerbeast View Post
It different, I like it!
Thanks man!! ALways excited for updates on your car!!
__________________

My M3 is for sale here
Appreciate 0
      04-09-2013, 01:48 PM   #16
slicer
Brigadier General
slicer's Avatar
61
Rep
3,941
Posts

 
Drives: '13 E92 M3
Join Date: Jan 2009
Location: San Diego, CA

iTrader: (19)

Everyone is going to have an opinion and at the end of the day choose the color that YOU like!

I personally think wheel colors look best when they contrast the car color. Light colored wheels on a dark colored car, dark colored wheels on a light colored car. I would have kept them black... There's a reason lots of white cars have black wheels... They coordinate well with the black trim elsewhere on the car. I'm not a fan of brushed wheels; even with tinted clear coat. I would go with black or dark gray color. The current color would look best on a black or dark blue car IMO. This will be controversial but I have seen biglar's old car in person and I didn't like it. The wheel color just didn't flow with anything. I just like a more simple style. Black and white... No need for two more colors (gray and green in biglar's case). As crazy as it sounds, i would have probably preferred if his wheels were fiji green to match the accents. Sometimes "different" isn't better.
__________________
ALL PARTS FOR SALE (click links and/or Send me a PM) -
KW Clubsport 3-way, Mode Carbon GTS Wing, BMW Pedals Billet Extended DCT Paddles, Advan TC3 (9.5/10.5), Planted E92 Floor Mounts, Schroth Quick Fit Pro Harnesses (Red - E82/E90/E92 Version)

Last edited by slicer; 04-09-2013 at 01:55 PM.
Appreciate 0
      04-09-2013, 01:55 PM   #17
BuckRodgers
Private First Class
1
Rep
159
Posts

 
Drives: BMW
Join Date: Dec 2012
Location: USA

iTrader: (0)

A tad darker for contrast would be nice.
Appreciate 0
      04-09-2013, 01:59 PM   #18
John Tanglewood
Porn Star
John Tanglewood's Avatar
48
Rep
2,151
Posts

 
Drives: 09' R8 -- 11' M3 (sold)
Join Date: Dec 2009
Location: Stamford, CT

iTrader: (9)

Quote:
Originally Posted by slicer View Post
Everyone is going to have an opinion and at the end of the day choose the color that YOU like!

I personally think wheel colors look best when they contrast the car color. Light colored wheels on a dark colored car, dark colored wheels on a light colored car. I would have kept them black... There's a reason lots of white cars have black wheels... They coordinate well with the black trim elsewhere on the car. I'm not a fan of brushed wheels; even with tinted clear coat. I would go with black or dark gray color. The current color would look best on a black or dark blue car IMO. This will be controversial but I have seen biglar's old car in person and I didn't like it. The wheel color just didn't flow with anything. I just like a more simple style. Black and white... No need for two more colors (gray and green in biglar's case). As crazy as it sounds, i would have probably preferred if his wheels were fiji green to match the accents. Sometimes "different" isn't better.
Good stuff man! Yeah that's why i put up the post, to get people's opinions! And because I also believe different isn't always better. Luckily I also received some constructive offerings like j2m gave me to help better achieve the look I was going for.

I didn't go with black wheels on a white car because I would no longer have been able to see the details of the wheel---the white just overwhelms it. Again, my personal opinion. Thanks for the input though!
__________________

My M3 is for sale here
Appreciate 0
      04-09-2013, 02:16 PM   #19
slicer
Brigadier General
slicer's Avatar
61
Rep
3,941
Posts

 
Drives: '13 E92 M3
Join Date: Jan 2009
Location: San Diego, CA

iTrader: (19)

Quote:
Originally Posted by John Tanglewood View Post
Good stuff man! Yeah that's why i put up the post, to get people's opinions! And because I also believe different isn't always better. Luckily I also received some constructive offerings like j2m gave me to help better achieve the look I was going for.

I didn't go with black wheels on a white car because I would no longer have been able to see the details of the wheel---the white just overwhelms it. Again, my personal opinion. Thanks for the input though!
You are welcome! I'm a huge fan of the wheels so even if your color isn't ideal, I would choose them over 90% of the options out there. It's a common strike against black wheels to say that you can't see the details. I completely agree when it comes to photos. In person I don't find that anything is lost. Obviously you disagree since I'm sure you looked at the wheels in person before you painted them.

Best of luck! Maybe the look would be improved with the addition of color matched side gills and / or mirror covers...??
__________________
ALL PARTS FOR SALE (click links and/or Send me a PM) -
KW Clubsport 3-way, Mode Carbon GTS Wing, BMW Pedals Billet Extended DCT Paddles, Advan TC3 (9.5/10.5), Planted E92 Floor Mounts, Schroth Quick Fit Pro Harnesses (Red - E82/E90/E92 Version)
Appreciate 0
      04-09-2013, 02:38 PM   #20
tpowerdinny
Specialist
8
Rep
672
Posts

 
Drives: A Tricycle
Join Date: Jun 2010
Location: NYC

iTrader: (4)

Love the wheels but the color looks weird against AW I think. Its needs a little something more to make it look truly amazing.
Appreciate 0
      04-09-2013, 02:41 PM   #21
mdosu
Banned
No_Country
118
Rep
8,517
Posts

 
Drives: Double Vanos'd Civic-M3
Join Date: Oct 2009
Location: San Francisco

iTrader: (6)

IMO, not sure if I like the style or color. Color moreso than the style is my major concern, since it's very pastel.
Appreciate 0
      04-09-2013, 02:42 PM   #22
IMG
M.POWER
IMG's Avatar
104
Rep
7,066
Posts

 
Drives: E36 M3 Track car,Ess E90 M3 DD
Join Date: Feb 2008
Location: Location

iTrader: (6)

Very nice Bro,the car looked sick rolling on Sunday !
__________________
NO FEAR.NO LIMITS.NO EQUAL

Ess VT3 LC built motor,Volk TE37SL,Euro taillights,Dinan Xpipe,Custom Headers,Akra axle back CF tips,ModeCarbon FR lip,BMW CF wing
LOW BOOST 60-130 6.7 sec
Appreciate 0
Post Reply

Bookmarks

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Forum Jump


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 04:34 AM.




m3post
Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.7.0
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
1Addicts.com, BIMMERPOST.com, E90Post.com, F30Post.com, M3Post.com, ZPost.com, 5Post.com, 6Post.com, 7Post.com, XBimmers.com logo and trademark are properties of BIMMERPOST