BMW M3 Forum (E90 E92)

BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read


Go Back   M3Post - BMW M3 Forum > E90/E92 M3 Technical Topics > Engine, Transmission, Exhaust, Drivetrain, ECU Software Modifications
 
GT Haus
Post Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
      04-05-2013, 01:34 PM   #1
roddyc
Second Lieutenant
 
roddyc's Avatar
 
Drives: 08 E90 M3
Join Date: Jul 2011
Location: Frisco, TX

Posts: 286
iTrader: (8)

For you guys that have test pipes...

What do you do when you have to get the car inspected/emissions tested? Can you just clamp the OEM cats back on? Will the ability to do this vary between the brands of test pipes? And I'm assuming for you guys that have a tune, you'd need to reflash back to stock? If so, how long will I need to drive before everything readapts? I'm in TX so it would be an annual thing for me which may or may not be worth it...

Last edited by roddyc; 04-05-2013 at 02:43 PM.
roddyc is offline   United_States
0
Reply With Quote
      04-05-2013, 02:05 PM   #2
Nautik
Captain
 
Drives: 2009 AW M3 DCT
Join Date: May 2010
Location: NoVA

Posts: 632
iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by roddyc View Post
What do you do when you have to get the car inspected/emissions tested? Can you just clamp the OEM cats back on? Will the ability to do this vary between the brands of test pipes? And I'm assuming for you guys that have a tune, you'd need to reflash back to stock? If so, how long will I need to drive before O2 readiness is good to go? I'm in TX so it would be an annual thing for me which may or may not be worth it...
Why put the stock cats back on? Most checks are now an OBD2 readiness check. They don't even look under the car. Tune out of the readiness fail for the cat and you should be good to go.

I doubt the M3 even makes that much pollution if the secondary cats are still on the car.
__________________
2009 e92 M3 - AW DCT - Apex Arc8s - Corsa
Nautik is offline  
0
Reply With Quote
      04-05-2013, 02:33 PM   #3
roddyc
Second Lieutenant
 
roddyc's Avatar
 
Drives: 08 E90 M3
Join Date: Jul 2011
Location: Frisco, TX

Posts: 286
iTrader: (8)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nautik View Post
Why put the stock cats back on? Most checks are now an OBD2 readiness check. They don't even look under the car. Tune out of the readiness fail for the cat and you should be good to go.

I doubt the M3 even makes that much pollution if the secondary cats are still on the car.
I thought most tuners refused to tune out ODB readiness failure due to statutory issues? I remember reading somewhere that tuners could get in a fair amount of trouble for it...although I could very well be confusing the issue with something completely different.
roddyc is offline   United_States
0
Reply With Quote
      04-05-2013, 02:47 PM   #4
bsmack
Private First Class
 
bsmack's Avatar
 
Drives: 2011 e92 M3
Join Date: Jun 2011
Location: Boston, MA

Posts: 132
iTrader: (2)

O2 readiness is definitely an issue I'm concerned with as well if I decide to modify the exhaust. All the sensors on my Audi were pre-cat so it was never an issue and was tuned out relatively easy
bsmack is offline   United_States
0
Reply With Quote
      04-05-2013, 02:49 PM   #5
manari06
Captain
 
manari06's Avatar
 
Drives: 2013 E92 M3 Mineral White
Join Date: Jan 2010
Location: Illesheim, Germany

Posts: 994
iTrader: (6)

Garage List
2013 BMW M3 E92  [4.75]
2007 335I Coupe  [5.00]
If I remember correctly the State of Texas doesn't required Emission Inspection only Safety. I'm a resident of Texas and was stationed in Fort Hood for 7 years and never did an Emission Inspection!!!!
__________________
I Am The Strength Behind The Fight!
manari06 is offline   Germany
0
Reply With Quote
      04-05-2013, 03:22 PM   #6
mosx
The mod bug has bitten.
 
Drives: 2008 M3 Sedan
Join Date: Jun 2010
Location: North Texas

Posts: 565
iTrader: (1)

Garage List
2008 BMW M3  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by manari06 View Post
If I remember correctly the State of Texas doesn't required Emission Inspection only Safety. I'm a resident of Texas and was stationed in Fort Hood for 7 years and never did an Emission Inspection!!!!
Emissions in texas are based on OBD2 readings, so you still need OBD2 readiness to pass an inspection.
mosx is offline   United_States
0
Reply With Quote
      04-05-2013, 05:06 PM   #7
Mike Benvo
BimmerPost Supporting Vendor

 
Mike Benvo's Avatar
 
Drives: 08 E90 M3 / 400whp Turbo 7
Join Date: Apr 2008
Location: SoCal

Posts: 4,647
iTrader: (7)

Garage List
2008 BMW M3  [5.00]
1990 BMW 735i Turbo  [5.00]
2004 BMW M3  [0.00]
Send a message via Skype™ to Mike Benvo
Quote:
Originally Posted by roddyc View Post
What do you do when you have to get the car inspected/emissions tested? Can you just clamp the OEM cats back on? Will the ability to do this vary between the brands of test pipes? And I'm assuming for you guys that have a tune, you'd need to reflash back to stock? If so, how long will I need to drive before everything readapts? I'm in TX so it would be an annual thing for me which may or may not be worth it...
I believe you have our software already - Stage I if I'm not mistaken.

With Stage I or Stage II, if you put your stock setup back on, you will certainly pass without having to flash back to stock.

Contact us for more information, we're happy to help you
__________________

-----| Like us on Facebook | Instagram || Tuning Information | Remote Coding |-----
----Visit us at www.BPMSport.com - Emotion. Driven. | Toll Free: (888) 557-5133----
Mike Benvo is offline   United_States
0
Reply With Quote
      11-22-2013, 05:26 PM   #8
DASm3
Registered
 
Drives: 2009 6MT e92 m3
Join Date: Oct 2013
Location: NYC & TX

Posts: 2
iTrader: (0)

I'm in the same boat, I'll be moving to Texas in the next month and will have to pass emissions for Harris county. Primary cats have been removed as well... My question is how long will it take for the obd2's to re-adapt to readiness status? Is there a certain time period to wait, # of starts or cycle that it has to go through in order for CEL to turn off and obd2 to be ready?
DASm3 is offline  
0
Reply With Quote
      11-22-2013, 05:42 PM   #9
slipaway37
Second Lieutenant
 
slipaway37's Avatar
 
Drives: 2013 E92/ZCP M3
Join Date: Mar 2010
Location: SOCAL

Posts: 282
iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by roddyc View Post
I thought most tuners refused to tune out ODB readiness failure due to statutory issues? I remember reading somewhere that tuners could get in a fair amount of trouble for it...although I could very well be confusing the issue with something completely different.
This is why most companies require you to sign a waiver form. Look at the Turner Motor Sports website and you'll see their version when you view their test pipes.
__________________
'13 Frozen Grey, ZCP/E92 M3. Expel Stealth PPF; Macht Schnell Stage II intake & pulleys; custom 20" MORR MS52 wheels; Brembo 380 BBK; Gintani x-pipe w/4 resonators; Akrapovic slip-on; RD springs; Tikore lugs.
slipaway37 is offline   United_States
0
Reply With Quote
      11-22-2013, 08:05 PM   #10
Brian0473
First Lieutenant
 
Brian0473's Avatar
 
Drives: 2010 SSII DCT Coupe
Join Date: Sep 2013
Location: San Antonio, TX

Posts: 316
iTrader: (3)

I'm in San Antonio (TX) and I have never had anyone try to inspect anything beyond a visual safety inspection and a quick brake check.
Brian0473 is offline  
0
Reply With Quote
      11-23-2013, 03:08 PM   #11
roddyc
Second Lieutenant
 
roddyc's Avatar
 
Drives: 08 E90 M3
Join Date: Jul 2011
Location: Frisco, TX

Posts: 286
iTrader: (8)

The car is gone now , but I ended up getting a stage II tune (and signed a version of the waiver mentioned above) and it passed without any issues.

To indemnify any third parties, I will say that I may or may not have put my stock cats back on before getting it inspected...my memory is kind of hazy.
roddyc is offline   United_States
0
Reply With Quote
      11-23-2013, 03:57 PM   #12
Hujan
Lieutenant Colonel
 
Drives: 2013 E92 M3; 2010 Z4 35i
Join Date: Apr 2013
Location: San Diego, CA

Posts: 1,617
iTrader: (3)

Quote:
Originally Posted by roddyc View Post
The car is gone now , but I ended up getting a stage II tune (and signed a version of the waiver mentioned above) and it passed without any issues.

To indemnify any third parties, I will say that I may or may not have put my stock cats back on before getting it inspected...my memory is kind of hazy.
__________________
E92 M3: BPM Sport Stg. 2 | Akrapovic Evolution | Brembo GT 380/380 | Ohlins R&T w/ Vorschlags | RD Sport sways

E89 Z4 35i: Cobb Stg. 1 | Evolution Racewerks FMIC | Evolution Racewerks CP | Tial BOV | BMS filter | BMS OCC | BMS oil thermo
Hujan is offline  
0
Reply With Quote
      11-23-2013, 06:10 PM   #13
gobuffs
Lieutenant
 
Drives: E30 M3 S65 (race car)
Join Date: Mar 2008
Location: Texas

Posts: 599
iTrader: (4)

Emissions testing varies by county you live in. If you live in or around DFW, Houston, or Austin, you'll have emissions testing for sure.
gobuffs is offline  
0
Reply With Quote
Post Reply

Bookmarks

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Forum Jump


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 11:26 PM.




m3post
Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.7.0
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
1Addicts.com, BIMMERPOST.com, E90Post.com, F30Post.com, M3Post.com, ZPost.com, 5Post.com, 6Post.com, 7Post.com, XBimmers.com logo and trademark are properties of BIMMERPOST