BMW M3 Forum (E90 E92)

BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read


Go Back   M3Post - BMW M3 Forum > E90/E92 M3 Technical Topics > Mechanical Maintenance: Break-in / Oil & Fluids / Servicing
 
INDustry distribution
Post Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
      04-01-2013, 07:15 PM   #1
tmntmn
///M
 
Drives: e92 M3/M-DCT
Join Date: Feb 2008
Location: Bay Area

Posts: 1,902
iTrader: (6)

Power Steering Flush (Kinda)

I did the turkey blaster methond (use a suction tool instead) my car is at 53k miles and the fluid came out super dark and dirty, planning on doing it every 25k miles to get new fluid in there.


Left (end result) to Right


Dirty Fluid


New Fluid should be Green in color
__________________
THANKS TO:~<RPM>~ ~<SONICMS>~ ~<MODECARBON>~ ~<McKennaPerformance>~
MODS: MODECARBON V2 GTS FRONT LIP & REAR DIFFUSER, AA GREEN FILTER, RPI SCOOPS, PSW, Verstraβe Extended DCT Shifter, ZCP WHEELS (SEMI-GLOSS), OHLINS R&T, Megan Exhaust, ACM TP, BMW LED INTERIOR, BLACKOUT W/ORION V4 LED AE, OSRAM CBI
tmntmn is offline   United_States
0
Reply With Quote
      04-01-2013, 10:21 PM   #2
RyanBMW
Private
 
Drives: 2011 F10 550i
Join Date: Dec 2011
Location: Plano, TX

Posts: 52
iTrader: (0)

What fluid did you use? Where did you get it? And how much?
RyanBMW is offline   United_States
0
Reply With Quote
      04-01-2013, 10:35 PM   #3
tmntmn
///M
 
Drives: e92 M3/M-DCT
Join Date: Feb 2008
Location: Bay Area

Posts: 1,902
iTrader: (6)

Quote:
Originally Posted by RyanBMW View Post
What fluid did you use? Where did you get it? And how much?
I used BMW recommend chf 11s, got it from McKenna performance they're vendors on here, I forgot how much I paid
__________________
THANKS TO:~<RPM>~ ~<SONICMS>~ ~<MODECARBON>~ ~<McKennaPerformance>~
MODS: MODECARBON V2 GTS FRONT LIP & REAR DIFFUSER, AA GREEN FILTER, RPI SCOOPS, PSW, Verstraβe Extended DCT Shifter, ZCP WHEELS (SEMI-GLOSS), OHLINS R&T, Megan Exhaust, ACM TP, BMW LED INTERIOR, BLACKOUT W/ORION V4 LED AE, OSRAM CBI
tmntmn is offline   United_States
0
Reply With Quote
      04-05-2013, 03:19 PM   #4
jjw2331
First Lieutenant
 
jjw2331's Avatar
 
Drives: 2011 JtBlk e92 M3
Join Date: Sep 2008
Location: Michigan

Posts: 319
iTrader: (5)

Nice job. I'm about to do this too since I'm reaching 30K miles soon. How many times did you suck and fill with the baster?

CHF-11S steering fluid should be about 20 bucks a liter.
jjw2331 is offline  
0
Reply With Quote
      04-05-2013, 06:58 PM   #5
e92zero
Lieutenant
 
Drives: 2011 E92 BW
Join Date: May 2010
Location: somewhere in US

Posts: 534
iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by tmntmn View Post
I used BMW recommend chf 11s, got it from McKenna performance they're vendors on here, I forgot how much I paid
Do you also turn the steering wheel lock to lock on the progress? How fast does the oil cycle through the system actually?
e92zero is offline  
0
Reply With Quote
      04-06-2013, 12:44 AM   #6
tmntmn
///M
 
Drives: e92 M3/M-DCT
Join Date: Feb 2008
Location: Bay Area

Posts: 1,902
iTrader: (6)

Quote:
Originally Posted by jjw2331 View Post
Nice job. I'm about to do this too since I'm reaching 30K miles soon. How many times did you suck and fill with the baster?

CHF-11S steering fluid should be about 20 bucks a liter.
I Lost count 6-8 times I use almost two liter worth of CHF-11s

Quote:
Originally Posted by e92zero View Post
Do you also turn the steering wheel lock to lock on the progress? How fast does the oil cycle through the system actually?
Yes I did turn lock to lock 4-5 times per flush, first couple time I flush it came out pretty dirty
__________________
THANKS TO:~<RPM>~ ~<SONICMS>~ ~<MODECARBON>~ ~<McKennaPerformance>~
MODS: MODECARBON V2 GTS FRONT LIP & REAR DIFFUSER, AA GREEN FILTER, RPI SCOOPS, PSW, Verstraβe Extended DCT Shifter, ZCP WHEELS (SEMI-GLOSS), OHLINS R&T, Megan Exhaust, ACM TP, BMW LED INTERIOR, BLACKOUT W/ORION V4 LED AE, OSRAM CBI
tmntmn is offline   United_States
0
Reply With Quote
      04-09-2013, 10:43 AM   #7
McKenna Performance
BimmerPost Supporting Vendor

 
Drives: M3
Join Date: Apr 2012
Location: Norwalk, Ca

Posts: 405
iTrader: (7)

Nice writeup
McKenna Performance is offline   United_States
0
Reply With Quote
      04-09-2013, 02:32 PM   #8
W///
Brigadier General
 
W///'s Avatar
 
Drives: 2008 E92 M3/1999 E36 M3 Coupe
Join Date: Sep 2011
Location: SC

Posts: 4,693
iTrader: (11)

[quote=tmntmn;13744003]I did the turkey blaster methond (use a suction tool instead) my car is at 53k miles and the fluid came out super dark and dirty, planning on doing it every 25k miles to get new fluid in there.
QUOTE]

Wow that is dark. I did mine at 66k and didn't look anything like that. I also plan to do mine every now and again.

Quote:
Originally Posted by e92zero View Post
Do you also turn the steering wheel lock to lock on the progress? How fast does the oil cycle through the system actually?
Yes, cycle through it a few times. Maybe even go for a drive. Do it again until you use the entire bottle. That's what I'd recommend.
__________________
2008 E92 M3: Sparkling Graphite | Bamboo Beige | 6MT | CF Roof | HRE | Eisenmann | BPM Sport | Swift | Arkym | Mode Carbon | M.Perf
W/// is offline  
0
Reply With Quote
      04-09-2013, 02:35 PM   #9
thekurgan
Bad Lieutenant
 
thekurgan's Avatar
 
Drives: E90M3
Join Date: Aug 2007
Location: Sacramento

Posts: 2,671
iTrader: (0)

Garage List
2008 BMW M3  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by tmntmn View Post
Wow that is dark. I did mine at 66k and didn't look anything like that. I also plan to do mine every now and again.



Yes, cycle through it a few times. Maybe even go for a drive. Do it again until you use the entire bottle. That's what I'd recommend.
Agree on the entire can. I did mine over the course of 4 weekends and just drained and filled with the baster. My fluid was clean, however at around 25k miles. Does anyone know what causes the fluid to change color? Is it heat, dirt or the seals?
__________________

08 E90M3 6MT Alpinweiss/Carbon/BMW Pedals/Dinan Exhaust/Rattle fixes
thekurgan is offline   United_States
0
Reply With Quote
      04-09-2013, 02:37 PM   #10
W///
Brigadier General
 
W///'s Avatar
 
Drives: 2008 E92 M3/1999 E36 M3 Coupe
Join Date: Sep 2011
Location: SC

Posts: 4,693
iTrader: (11)

Quote:
Originally Posted by thekurgan View Post
Agree on the entire can. I did mine over the course of 4 weekends and just drained and filled with the baster. My fluid was clean, however at around 25k miles. Does anyone know what causes the fluid to change color? Is it heat, dirt or the seals?
Yea don't have to do it in a row. And in terms of cause, I'd say all of the above.
__________________
2008 E92 M3: Sparkling Graphite | Bamboo Beige | 6MT | CF Roof | HRE | Eisenmann | BPM Sport | Swift | Arkym | Mode Carbon | M.Perf
W/// is offline  
0
Reply With Quote
      04-09-2013, 03:06 PM   #11
tmntmn
///M
 
Drives: e92 M3/M-DCT
Join Date: Feb 2008
Location: Bay Area

Posts: 1,902
iTrader: (6)

Quote:
Originally Posted by W/// View Post
Yea don't have to do it in a row. And in terms of cause, I'd say all of the above.
did you get your megan exhaust yet?
__________________
THANKS TO:~<RPM>~ ~<SONICMS>~ ~<MODECARBON>~ ~<McKennaPerformance>~
MODS: MODECARBON V2 GTS FRONT LIP & REAR DIFFUSER, AA GREEN FILTER, RPI SCOOPS, PSW, Verstraβe Extended DCT Shifter, ZCP WHEELS (SEMI-GLOSS), OHLINS R&T, Megan Exhaust, ACM TP, BMW LED INTERIOR, BLACKOUT W/ORION V4 LED AE, OSRAM CBI
tmntmn is offline   United_States
0
Reply With Quote
      04-09-2013, 03:50 PM   #12
W///
Brigadier General
 
W///'s Avatar
 
Drives: 2008 E92 M3/1999 E36 M3 Coupe
Join Date: Sep 2011
Location: SC

Posts: 4,693
iTrader: (11)

Quote:
Originally Posted by tmntmn View Post
did you get your megan exhaust yet?
No not yet. Just got my ACM test pipes right now, as well as a BPM tune. Got an appointment to get everything installed. Will drive around for a week or so and see how everything sounds with my current OEM modded muffler (I'm predicting I won't like it). Then I'll make a move on the Megan if needed. Still need to find out a good place to get it though! Seems like there's all sorts of problems.
__________________
2008 E92 M3: Sparkling Graphite | Bamboo Beige | 6MT | CF Roof | HRE | Eisenmann | BPM Sport | Swift | Arkym | Mode Carbon | M.Perf
W/// is offline  
0
Reply With Quote
      04-09-2013, 04:49 PM   #13
tmntmn
///M
 
Drives: e92 M3/M-DCT
Join Date: Feb 2008
Location: Bay Area

Posts: 1,902
iTrader: (6)

Quote:
Originally Posted by W/// View Post
No not yet. Just got my ACM test pipes right now, as well as a BPM tune. Got an appointment to get everything installed. Will drive around for a week or so and see how everything sounds with my current OEM modded muffler (I'm predicting I won't like it). Then I'll make a move on the Megan if needed. Still need to find out a good place to get it though! Seems like there's all sorts of problems.
I'm still waiting for my ACM test pipe should be delivered today, my megan exhaust been sitting in my garage for a week now. I was going to do the exhaust mod but everyone around my Area wanted 350-500 to do it, so i just order the megan for a little bit more.

Let me know how it sounds with your setup since that was the route i was going to take before.
__________________
THANKS TO:~<RPM>~ ~<SONICMS>~ ~<MODECARBON>~ ~<McKennaPerformance>~
MODS: MODECARBON V2 GTS FRONT LIP & REAR DIFFUSER, AA GREEN FILTER, RPI SCOOPS, PSW, Verstraβe Extended DCT Shifter, ZCP WHEELS (SEMI-GLOSS), OHLINS R&T, Megan Exhaust, ACM TP, BMW LED INTERIOR, BLACKOUT W/ORION V4 LED AE, OSRAM CBI
tmntmn is offline   United_States
0
Reply With Quote
      04-11-2013, 11:05 AM   #14
mdosu
Banned
 
Drives: Double Vanos'd Civic-M3
Join Date: Oct 2009
Location: San Francisco

Posts: 8,517
iTrader: (6)

I'm assuming the turkey baster method was an old E46 thing...do you have a DIY link for the method?
mdosu is offline   No_Country
0
Reply With Quote
      04-11-2013, 11:14 AM   #15
thekurgan
Bad Lieutenant
 
thekurgan's Avatar
 
Drives: E90M3
Join Date: Aug 2007
Location: Sacramento

Posts: 2,671
iTrader: (0)

Garage List
2008 BMW M3  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by mdosu View Post
I'm assuming the turkey baster method was an old E46 thing...do you have a DIY link for the method?
Not really need a write-up. Clean the outside of the canister so when you open the cover, you don't let contaminants fall into the reservoir. Grab a container (I use mason jars with measuring labels, 2, one for the dirty, and 1 for the clean fluid). Suck out all the fluid you can from the reservoir. Fill the other jar with clean fluid and pour in. Start the vehicle and turn lock-to-lock a few times back and forth. Repeat the procedure. I generally don't do the turning, but rather drive the car for a week, then the next weekend, I'll repeat the procedure. I ended up using 1 can of fluid.

I *thought* Madrussian had a DIY, but now I can't find it.
__________________

08 E90M3 6MT Alpinweiss/Carbon/BMW Pedals/Dinan Exhaust/Rattle fixes
thekurgan is offline   United_States
0
Reply With Quote
      04-11-2013, 11:20 AM   #16
mdosu
Banned
 
Drives: Double Vanos'd Civic-M3
Join Date: Oct 2009
Location: San Francisco

Posts: 8,517
iTrader: (6)

Quote:
Originally Posted by thekurgan View Post
Not really need a write-up. Clean the outside of the canister so when you open the cover, you don't let contaminants fall into the reservoir. Grab a container (I use mason jars with measuring labels, 2, one for the dirty, and 1 for the clean fluid). Suck out all the fluid you can from the reservoir. Fill the other jar with clean fluid and pour in. Start the vehicle and turn lock-to-lock a few times back and forth. Repeat the procedure. I generally don't do the turning, but rather drive the car for a week, then the next weekend, I'll repeat the procedure. I ended up using 1 can of fluid.

I *thought* Madrussian had a DIY, but now I can't find it.
thanks, pour replacement fluid in to the same reservoir you sucked dirty fluid from?
mdosu is offline   No_Country
0
Reply With Quote
      04-11-2013, 11:27 AM   #17
thekurgan
Bad Lieutenant
 
thekurgan's Avatar
 
Drives: E90M3
Join Date: Aug 2007
Location: Sacramento

Posts: 2,671
iTrader: (0)

Garage List
2008 BMW M3  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by mdosu View Post
thanks, pour replacement fluid in to the same reservoir you sucked dirty fluid from?
No, sorry, I use the other jar for the clean stuff, I line them up so I put in exactly what I took out. I keep my level on the lower side of the measuring line.
__________________

08 E90M3 6MT Alpinweiss/Carbon/BMW Pedals/Dinan Exhaust/Rattle fixes
thekurgan is offline   United_States
0
Reply With Quote
      04-11-2013, 12:24 PM   #18
elm3
M3 Lover
 
elm3's Avatar
 
Drives: 2009 e92 M3 Interlagos Blue
Join Date: Sep 2008
Location: Canton, GA.

Posts: 1,847
iTrader: (1)

Garage List
Also, I don't know if it was mentioned before, the reservoir has a filter built in. So you'll have to buy a new reservoir to have a new filter. That will keep the new fluid clean.
__________________
'09 E92 ///M3 Interlagos Blue, 6MT, Silver Novillo Leather, CF Trim, Premium Package, Technology Package, Cold Weather Package, Premium Sound, 19" Wheels, Moonroof-Toy/ '11 E90 328i Black Saphire Metallic, Premium Package, Technology Package - Daily Driver '02 Nissan Xterra- Daily Driver/ '04 Yamaha R1-Toy/ '06 Yamaha Raptor 350-Toy
elm3 is offline   United_States
0
Reply With Quote
      04-11-2013, 01:57 PM   #19
tmntmn
///M
 
Drives: e92 M3/M-DCT
Join Date: Feb 2008
Location: Bay Area

Posts: 1,902
iTrader: (6)

Quote:
Originally Posted by elm3 View Post
Also, I don't know if it was mentioned before, the reservoir has a filter built in. So you'll have to buy a new reservoir to have a new filter. That will keep the new fluid clean.
I heard about the filter in the reservoir also, i'm planning on changing out the reservoir the next time i do a flush
__________________
THANKS TO:~<RPM>~ ~<SONICMS>~ ~<MODECARBON>~ ~<McKennaPerformance>~
MODS: MODECARBON V2 GTS FRONT LIP & REAR DIFFUSER, AA GREEN FILTER, RPI SCOOPS, PSW, Verstraβe Extended DCT Shifter, ZCP WHEELS (SEMI-GLOSS), OHLINS R&T, Megan Exhaust, ACM TP, BMW LED INTERIOR, BLACKOUT W/ORION V4 LED AE, OSRAM CBI
tmntmn is offline   United_States
0
Reply With Quote
      06-24-2013, 03:01 PM   #20
rush
RUSH
 
Drives: E92 M3 DCT
Join Date: Mar 2009
Location: LA

Posts: 56
iTrader: (0)

Garage List
2009 e92 m3  [0.00]
M3 question

Quote:
Originally Posted by McKenna Performance
Nice writeup
Good day,
How much you guys charge for
Power Steering flush?
Thanks.
E92 m3
rush is offline  
0
Reply With Quote
      06-24-2013, 05:42 PM   #21
kaiv
Major
 
Drives: E92 M3
Join Date: Mar 2010
Location: San Diego, CA

Posts: 1,232
iTrader: (15)

Why not do a proper flush by unbolting the lines below and emptying everything
kaiv is offline   United_States
0
Reply With Quote
Post Reply

Bookmarks

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Forum Jump


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 06:06 AM.




m3post
Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.7.0
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
1Addicts.com, BIMMERPOST.com, E90Post.com, F30Post.com, M3Post.com, ZPost.com, 5Post.com, 6Post.com, 7Post.com, XBimmers.com logo and trademark are properties of BIMMERPOST