BMW M3 Forum (E90 E92)

BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read


Go Back   M3Post - BMW M3 Forum > M3 (E90 / E92 / E93) > M3 vs....
 
OneEighty
Post Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
      04-04-2013, 07:18 PM   #1
SpeedyM3
Second Lieutenant
United_States
9

 
SpeedyM3's Avatar
 
Drives: E92 M3
Join Date: Apr 2012
Location: Earth


Posts: 257
iTrader: (0)

Beat a Camaro ZL1 in a stock m3?

Epic story.

So I was going home and was about to get on the highway and saw a ZL1 drive by as he was about to enter the highway too. I follow him and there were no cars in front or behind us so right as we got on the highway he takes the left lane and I take the right and we just hit it. The guy kept burning out and couldn't get traction from what it seemed and then before i know it we were going head on head going from 100mph to 145mph. Now I don't know if most of you will believe me, but I pulled on him for a good couple yards until my exit came up and I had to slow down. The thing is when I went off the exit I saw him roll down his window and he gave me the thumbs up, that's respect right there.

I know the ZL1s have 580hp and I have to idea how I "won" for that short amount of time (not knowing what would've happened if i kept going) but I did. Maybe the guy just slowed down after 130mph or maybe he missed a shift. I don't know but all I know is that was epic as f#*k.

What're some cars you guys have raced? I'd love to hear.
Appreciate 0
      04-04-2013, 07:23 PM   #2
Double Bubble
Captain
No_Country
6

 
Double Bubble's Avatar
 
Drives: E90
Join Date: Mar 2007
Location: States


Posts: 669
iTrader: (0)

C63 couple times, hit about 130mph, rolled down each others windows and give thumbs up.
I know that feels Now when I'm in my IS-F, it's a completely different/opposite story.

Anyways, I am gonna have to say maybe it's the matter of who had what gearbox?
__________________
________
Appreciate 0
      04-04-2013, 07:28 PM   #3
SpeedyM3
Second Lieutenant
United_States
9

 
SpeedyM3's Avatar
 
Drives: E92 M3
Join Date: Apr 2012
Location: Earth


Posts: 257
iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr Gunfun
C63 couple times, hit about 130mph, rolled down each others windows and give thumbs up.
I know that feels Now when I'm in my IS-F, it's a completely different/opposite story.

Anyways, I am gonna have to say maybe it's the matter of who had what gearbox?
I don't know but it was epic
Appreciate 0
      04-04-2013, 07:30 PM   #4
Richbot
Colonel
27

 
Drives: Jerez Black E90
Join Date: Sep 2007
Location: STL


Posts: 2,068
iTrader: (2)

Might have been a regular SS with the 1LE package, they look pretty similar to the ZL1 if you're not paying close attention on the outside they're a little slower than the M3 at high speeds

Or he was a terrible driver which sounds likely

The ZL1 convertible isn't as quick from 100-150 as the M3 (14.2 seconds for the M3 vs. 16.3 seconds according to C/D), so I guess anything's possible, the aero on the M3 is certainly much better
__________________

Last edited by Richbot; 04-04-2013 at 07:43 PM.
Appreciate 0
      04-04-2013, 07:33 PM   #5
track_warrior
Captain
United_States
15

 
track_warrior's Avatar
 
Drives: F-31 328d M-Performance
Join Date: Oct 2010
Location: San Antonio, TX


Posts: 699
iTrader: (1)

Well it could have been he struggled to gain traction then aerodynamics and weight come into place and the ZL1 looks like it was aerodynamically designed by the same people who make little tikes and it is extremely obese having a nasty curb weight of 4100+ pounds so it could have had a bad time catching up because of the lack of traction. If he had traction he would have jumped horribly on a stock m3, i dont think it would be the same story from 130MPH-180MPH though, i think the M would have a slight advantage with its sleeker body and less weight it would beat it but it would be closer. Still i would not drive anything as obese as a camaro no matter if it had 100000000 HP its still a pig, i prefer a better driving experience.
__________________
l 2014 F31 328d X-drive M-sport l 2014 F30 328d M-Sport l BMW F-800 GSA l 1997 E-420 Sport l 2014 Touareg Tdi Armoured Level B5 l


Compensating a heavy car with horsepower is like giving an alcoholic cocaine to sober him up...

Last edited by track_warrior; 04-04-2013 at 07:48 PM.
Appreciate 0
      04-04-2013, 08:25 PM   #6
Ezio
Colonel
United_States
37

 
Ezio's Avatar
 
Drives: 2013 E92 M3
Join Date: Nov 2012
Location: MI


Posts: 2,911
iTrader: (0)

People beat others in faster cars all the time. although with all things equal, i would put my money on a Zl1 most of the time.
Appreciate 0
      04-04-2013, 09:04 PM   #7
SpeedyM3
Second Lieutenant
United_States
9

 
SpeedyM3's Avatar
 
Drives: E92 M3
Join Date: Apr 2012
Location: Earth


Posts: 257
iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Richbot
Might have been a regular SS with the 1LE package, they look pretty similar to the ZL1 if you're not paying close attention on the outside they're a little slower than the M3 at high speeds

Or he was a terrible driver which sounds likely

The ZL1 convertible isn't as quick from 100-150 as the M3 (14.2 seconds for the M3 vs. 16.3 seconds according to C/D), so I guess anything's possible, the aero on the M3 is certainly much better
Not really familiar with them but Im sure it was a ZL1 because it also had 4 exhaust pipes
Appreciate 0
      04-04-2013, 09:04 PM   #8
SpeedyM3
Second Lieutenant
United_States
9

 
SpeedyM3's Avatar
 
Drives: E92 M3
Join Date: Apr 2012
Location: Earth


Posts: 257
iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by track_warrior
Well it could have been he struggled to gain traction then aerodynamics and weight come into place and the ZL1 looks like it was aerodynamically designed by the same people who make little tikes and it is extremely obese having a nasty curb weight of 4100+ pounds so it could have had a bad time catching up because of the lack of traction. If he had traction he would have jumped horribly on a stock m3, i dont think it would be the same story from 130MPH-180MPH though, i think the M would have a slight advantage with its sleeker body and less weight it would beat it but it would be closer. Still i would not drive anything as obese as a camaro no matter if it had 100000000 HP its still a pig, i prefer a better driving experience.
I agree love my M
Appreciate 0
      04-04-2013, 09:46 PM   #9
05Mdriver
Lieutenant Colonel
23

 
05Mdriver's Avatar
 
Drives: 414hp Sedan
Join Date: May 2010
Location: pa


Posts: 1,690
iTrader: (59)

Garage List
2008 BMW M3  [5.00]
2005 BMW M3  [5.00]
The ZL1 was prob in 6th gear while you were in 4th..

I barely beat a new audi s4 the other day.. and I think they only have 333 hp.
__________________
Appreciate 0
      04-04-2013, 10:29 PM   #10
M3takesNYC
Banned
8

 
Drives: m3
Join Date: Feb 2013
Location: NYC


Posts: 426
iTrader: (0)

I am sure the s4 was tuned as they are really not a match,especially if your dct
Appreciate 0
      04-04-2013, 11:53 PM   #11
Alex07M3
Lieutenant Colonel
24

 
Drives: E92 M3, Evo X MR, A4 Allroad
Join Date: Jan 2012
Location: Gatineau


Posts: 1,984
iTrader: (1)

Quote:
Originally Posted by 05Mdriver View Post
The ZL1 was prob in 6th gear while you were in 4th..

I barely beat a new audi s4 the other day.. and I think they only have 333 hp.
A stock S4 has around 380hp and you should beat that easily, DCT or manual, unless it's tuned!
__________________
ESS VT1, M Performance exhaust, Turner test pipes, KW V3s, Michelin PSS 255/295
Appreciate 0
      04-04-2013, 11:54 PM   #12
Nordstat
Lieutenant
United_States
7

 
Drives: e90 M3 DCT
Join Date: Dec 2012
Location: Los Angeles


Posts: 483
iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by M3takesNYC
I am sure the s4 was tuned as they are really not a match,especially if your dct
^ this.

I was able to outrun a CLS 63 p31 from 0-70, simply because I get traction off the line. Real life is much different than C&D numbers. It's amazing what traction can do for a race.

Edit: granted, my M is modded.
__________________
2010 e90 M3 =
Appreciate 0
      04-05-2013, 10:27 AM   #13
MSteve5036
Lieutenant
5

 
Drives: 2008 M3 / 96 328is
Join Date: Dec 2011
Location: blue dot


Posts: 484
iTrader: (1)

Still havent raced anything but a modded dodge ram
Appreciate 0
      04-05-2013, 10:43 AM   #14
track_warrior
Captain
United_States
15

 
track_warrior's Avatar
 
Drives: F-31 328d M-Performance
Join Date: Oct 2010
Location: San Antonio, TX


Posts: 699
iTrader: (1)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nordstat View Post
^ this.

I was able to outrun a CLS 63 p31 from 0-70, simply because I get traction off the line. Real life is much different than C&D numbers. It's amazing what traction can do for a race.

Edit: granted, my M is modded.
I remember when i had my C63 AMG with 420WHP, i got bead by a kid in a Z4M coupe once since i could not get it off the line, when i got beside him i was still in a cloud of tire smoke and we had to brake long before i could gain traction and pass him.
__________________
l 2014 F31 328d X-drive M-sport l 2014 F30 328d M-Sport l BMW F-800 GSA l 1997 E-420 Sport l 2014 Touareg Tdi Armoured Level B5 l


Compensating a heavy car with horsepower is like giving an alcoholic cocaine to sober him up...
Appreciate 0
      04-05-2013, 01:17 PM   #15
Nordstat
Lieutenant
United_States
7

 
Drives: e90 M3 DCT
Join Date: Dec 2012
Location: Los Angeles


Posts: 483
iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by track_warrior View Post
I remember when i had my C63 AMG with 420WHP, i got bead by a kid in a Z4M coupe once since i could not get it off the line, when i got beside him i was still in a cloud of tire smoke and we had to brake long before i could gain traction and pass him.
OBVIOUSLY the Z4M was a faster car than.

I'm definitely guilty of on-paper car comparisons (hp, 0-60, etc), but it is amazing how often those numbers are worthless when you actually go drive the damn cars.
__________________
2010 e90 M3 =
Appreciate 0
      04-05-2013, 01:46 PM   #16
Twinbo
First Lieutenant
3

 
Twinbo's Avatar
 
Drives: ....
Join Date: Jul 2011
Location: Calgary


Posts: 359
iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alex07M3 View Post
A stock S4 has around 380hp and you should beat that easily, DCT or manual, unless it's tuned!
Stock S4 has 333hp as already mentioned from a 3.0 Supercharged V6. The most conservative tune (Stasis) put thats number up to ~409hp and 380lb of torque.
Appreciate 0
      04-05-2013, 02:50 PM   #17
Nordstat
Lieutenant
United_States
7

 
Drives: e90 M3 DCT
Join Date: Dec 2012
Location: Los Angeles


Posts: 483
iTrader: (0)

It must be nice to net a 20+% gain in power on a tune alone... I think I got around 20rwhp from the Gintani tune (~5%).

Can't wait til I can pull the trigger on an S/C.
__________________
2010 e90 M3 =
Appreciate 0
      04-05-2013, 03:44 PM   #18
DMW2315
******
1

 
Drives: E92 M3
Join Date: Mar 2013
Location: NJ


Posts: 114
iTrader: (0)

Smoked an 09 Honda Civic LX Sedan from a roll in my 12' E92 M3. True story. Wish I had video proof because I know some of you are doubting me...
Appreciate 0
      04-05-2013, 04:53 PM   #19
krnnerdboy
Colonel
United_States
30

 
krnnerdboy's Avatar
 
Drives: v10 m6
Join Date: Nov 2008
Location: so cal


Posts: 2,095
iTrader: (10)

Quote:
Originally Posted by track_warrior
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nordstat View Post
^ this.

I was able to outrun a CLS 63 p31 from 0-70, simply because I get traction off the line. Real life is much different than C&D numbers. It's amazing what traction can do for a race.

Edit: granted, my M is modded.
I remember when i had my C63 AMG with 420WHP, i got bead by a kid in a Z4M coupe once since i could not get it off the line, when i got beside him i was still in a cloud of tire smoke and we had to brake long before i could gain traction and pass him.[/quote]
It couldn't have been me since I was a roadie but mine did a 12.00 @ 117 with a mishift
__________________

F80 m3, 997 gt3, 14 ram ctd, f15 x5, drz400sm

Gone:z4m, boss 302, c6 z06, m6,z3m
Appreciate 0
      04-07-2013, 03:26 PM   #20
Alex07M3
Lieutenant Colonel
24

 
Drives: E92 M3, Evo X MR, A4 Allroad
Join Date: Jan 2012
Location: Gatineau


Posts: 1,984
iTrader: (1)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Twinbo View Post
Stock S4 has 333hp as already mentioned from a 3.0 Supercharged V6. The most conservative tune (Stasis) put thats number up to ~409hp and 380lb of torque.
If you look around you'll see that they dyno around 300awhp in stock form wich translate to around 380 crank hp with a ~20% drivetrain loss! The Audi line-up of F/I engines seems to be underrated by the company, like the S6 which is advertised at 420hp but has around 480 and the S8 thats advertised at 520hp but dynoed 480awhp in this Motortrend video!
__________________
ESS VT1, M Performance exhaust, Turner test pipes, KW V3s, Michelin PSS 255/295
Appreciate 0
      04-07-2013, 03:29 PM   #21
Alex07M3
Lieutenant Colonel
24

 
Drives: E92 M3, Evo X MR, A4 Allroad
Join Date: Jan 2012
Location: Gatineau


Posts: 1,984
iTrader: (1)

[/quote]
It couldn't have been me since I was a roadie but mine did a 12.00 @ 117 with a mishift [/quote]

WOW impressive

supercharged!?
__________________
ESS VT1, M Performance exhaust, Turner test pipes, KW V3s, Michelin PSS 255/295
Appreciate 0
      04-11-2013, 04:12 PM   #22
krnnerdboy
Colonel
United_States
30

 
krnnerdboy's Avatar
 
Drives: v10 m6
Join Date: Nov 2008
Location: so cal


Posts: 2,095
iTrader: (10)

It couldn't have been me since I was a roadie but mine did a 12.00 @ 117 with a mishift [/quote]

WOW impressive

supercharged!?[/quote]
Nope, just minor bolt ons and a shot of 75

I have some videos on the bmw boost sight with me vs an ls3 vette and a ls1 rx7. Both were quite surprised with the outcome....
__________________

F80 m3, 997 gt3, 14 ram ctd, f15 x5, drz400sm

Gone:z4m, boss 302, c6 z06, m6,z3m
Appreciate 0
Post Reply

Bookmarks

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Forum Jump


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 09:50 PM.




m3post
Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.7.0
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
1Addicts.com, BIMMERPOST.com, E90Post.com, F30Post.com, M3Post.com, ZPost.com, 5Post.com, 6Post.com, 7Post.com, XBimmers.com logo and trademark are properties of BIMMERPOST