BMW M3 Forum (E90 E92)

BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   M3Post - BMW M3 Forum > E90/E92 M3 Technical Topics > Coding / ConnectedDrive / Audio-Video / Electronics / Bluetooth / I-Drive & Nav

European Auto Source

03-25-2013, 01:05 PM   #1
tmntmn
Lieutenant Colonel

Drives: e92 M3/M-DCT

HDD Replacement?

I know CIC setup has a HDD for us to store music, does anyone know if its a regular 2.5" laptop harddrive. i wonder if we can swap it out with a SSD drive
MODS: MODECARBON V2 GTS FRONT LIP & REAR DIFFUSER, AA GREEN FILTER, RPI SCOOPS, PSW, Verstraβe Extended DCT Shifter, ZCP WHEELS (SEMI-GLOSS), OHLINS R&T, Megan Exhaust, ACM TP, BMW LED INTERIOR, BLACKOUT W/ORION V4 LED AE, OSRAM CBI
tmntmn is offline   United_States
      03-25-2013, 01:20 PM   #2
Johndong888
John

Drives: '12 AW/FR M3 & '14 F15 X5

Send a message via Skype™ to Johndong888
Quote:
Originally Posted by tmntmn View Post
I know CIC setup has a HDD for us to store music, does anyone know if its a regular 2.5" laptop harddrive. i wonder if we can swap it out with a SSD drive
I even bought the SSD to try but then in the end I didn't bother with it.

The hard drive in the CIC uses the old controller IDE. THis is what i purchased
http://www.amazon.com/Transcend-128-...nscend+ssd+ide

It's an 80gb toshiba hard drive in the CIC from factory. You would need a equal or larger size. Only thing i could find was a 128 hence the link above.

You would need to do a 1:1 cloning. and then it should work perfectly. However you wouldn't be able to use the additional space from upgrading tform 80gb to 128gb.

I didn't go through with this because I had just had my maps using the FSC codes to 2013. When you change the hard drive, you most likely will need to reinput some sort of FSC for the map data. I didn't want to shell out another $60 bucks for FSC code given how the controller the CIC uses is already extremely outdated. Upgrading from traditional hard drive to IDE ssd, the performance is very minute IMO, that's just the flaw of the old controller.

-John

Current - 2012 AW/FR E92 M3 - DCT w EDC, ZPP w Tech, Apps, Enhanced Sound, SAT.
Mods - Piano Black, Euro Visors, OEM Performance CF Spoiler + Grills + Pedals, IND Gloss Blk Pkg, Lux V3, ModeCarbon GTS V1 Lip, 19" HRE P40
Sold - 2008 BSM/Black E92 335i - Step, Premium, Sports, Logic7, Comfort, Navi, SAT, Alum.
Johndong888 is offline   United_States
      03-25-2013, 03:32 PM   #3
kmarei
Major General

Drives: 1988 E30 M3 Evo II

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by Johndong888 View Post

It's an 80gb toshiba hard drive in the CIC from factory. You would need a equal or larger size. Only thing i could find was a 128 hence the link above.

You would need to do a 1:1 cloning. and then it should work perfectly. However you wouldn't be able to use the additional space from upgrading tform 80gb to 128gb.

I didn't go through with this because I had just had my maps using the FSC codes to 2013. When you change the hard drive, you most likely will need to reinput some sort of FSC for the map data. I didn't want to shell out another $60 bucks for FSC code given how the controller the CIC uses is already extremely outdated. Upgrading from traditional hard drive to IDE ssd, the performance is very minute IMO, that's just the flaw of the old controller.

-John
i recall reading here once that you would have to resize that last partition that has the user data, to fill up the new space on the drive
so you would expand it from 12.5gb to whatever is left on the drive

i wonder if there is a speed difference when moving between songs?

kmarei is offline   Egypt
      03-25-2013, 04:49 PM   #4
Mike Benvo
BimmerPost Supporting Vendor

Drives: 08 E90 M3 / 400whp Turbo 7

Garage List
1990 BMW 735i Turbo  [5.00]
2004 BMW M3  [0.00]
2008 BMW M3  [5.00]
Send a message via Skype™ to Mike Benvo
I did this once and the end did not justify the means.

-----| Like us on Facebook | Instagram || Tuning Information | Remote Coding |-----
----Visit us at www.BPMSport.com - Emotion. Driven. | Toll Free: (888) 557-5133----
Mike Benvo is offline   United_States
      03-25-2013, 04:58 PM   #5
tmntmn
Lieutenant Colonel

Quote:

-John
I didn't even think about the FSC code for the maps, dang i thought they would use a SATA controller

Quote:
Originally Posted by kmarei View Post
i recall reading here once that you would have to resize that last partition that has the user data, to fill up the new space on the drive
so you would expand it from 12.5gb to whatever is left on the drive

i wonder if there is a speed difference when moving between songs?
I always wonder the same thing

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike Benvo View Post
I did this once and the end did not justify the means.
Thanks MIke guess ill just pick up a bigger USB thumb drive and call it a day
MODS: MODECARBON V2 GTS FRONT LIP & REAR DIFFUSER, AA GREEN FILTER, RPI SCOOPS, PSW, Verstraβe Extended DCT Shifter, ZCP WHEELS (SEMI-GLOSS), OHLINS R&T, Megan Exhaust, ACM TP, BMW LED INTERIOR, BLACKOUT W/ORION V4 LED AE, OSRAM CBI
      03-26-2013, 11:10 PM   #6
iatacs19
Major General

Drives: 335is

Quote:

-John
So no real performance gains to be had from the SSD upgrade? My guess would be that it should start up faster, seek and load things much faster?

BMWCCA Referral
iatacs19 is offline   United_States
      04-10-2013, 06:45 PM   #7
tmntmn
Lieutenant Colonel

Quote:
Originally Posted by iatacs19 View Post
So no real performance gains to be had from the SSD upgrade? My guess would be that it should start up faster, seek and load things much faster?
that's what i was thinking also