BMW M3 Forum (E90 E92)

BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   M3Post - BMW M3 Forum > M3 (E90 / E92 / E93) > General M3 Forum (E90 + E92 + E93)

GT Haus

03-13-2014, 06:22 PM   #1
dreamspeed
Captain

Drives: 6MT

Jack pad adapter question

I'm looking at photos of the pad adapters being used and I can't figure it out.

Which part of the adapter is supporting the car? The rectangular protrusion or the flat surface of the disk?

If it's just the rectangular part can't i just cut a small block of wood that would fit in that hole and use that?
      03-13-2014, 06:28 PM   #2
FormulaMMM
Major

Drives: E90 M3

The rectangular portion slides into the jack point on the car, the circular part meets the jack pad flush.

Small block of wood might work.

Depends on how much you jack the car I guess. The $20 for the adapter was worth it for me due to changing wheels @ track, etc.
Jerez Black 6MT E90 M3: Velos Designwerks Tune, Megan Racing Catback (past) | Akrapovic Evolution (present), Macht Schnell Filter, Stoptech ST-40 Front + Pagid RS29 | Stock Rear + Ferodo DS2500, Apex EC-7 18x10 ET25 + Nitto NT01 275/35/18.
Jet Black DCT E90 M3: Akrapovic Slip-On, tbd...
      03-13-2014, 06:29 PM   #3
pbonsalb
Lieutenant Colonel

Drives: 08 E90 M3, 99 E36 M3 Turbo

Both. If you jack from some other part of the car, you do not need a jack pad adapter, but you will eventually crack the plastic jack pads if you do not have an adapter with the rectangular top that fills the recess in the pad adapter.
      03-13-2014, 09:43 PM   #4
dreamspeed
Captain

Cool thanks,
      03-13-2014, 10:40 PM   #5
dagolfpro
Lieutenant Colonel

Drives: 2011 E90 M3

Order these. Fred's a great guy. http://www.reverselogic.us/phone/bmw_jack_pad.html
Evolve Exhaust | M Perf Steering Wheel | Tint | Lux | Painted Reflectors | Hardwired V1 | KW V3 | Volshlag CP | Brembo BBK | 18" Volks TE37SL Pressed Graphite | Yokohama AD08 | Schroth 4 Point Harness | Challenge GT Diffuser | I lied earlier, I wasn't done with mod, but I swear, I'm done now, no more mods...
dagolfpro is offline   Taiwan
      03-14-2014, 09:31 AM   #6
Genericuser1
Lieutenant

Drives: four wheels

Quote:
Originally Posted by FormulaMMM View Post
The rectangular portion slides into the jack point on the car, the circular part meets the jack pad flush.

Small block of wood might work.

Depends on how much you jack the car I guess. The $20 for the adapter was worth it for me due to changing wheels @ track, etc.
Don't most people use the front and rear jack points for swapping tires? Or is it better to get this adapter and use the four jack points on the sides?
      03-14-2014, 09:37 AM   #7
jphughan
Brigadier General

Drives: 2011.75 M3 E92 6MT

Quote:
Originally Posted by Genericuser1
Don't most people use the front and rear jack points for swapping tires? Or is it better to get this adapter and use the four jack points on the sides?
Most jacks can't reach the front center jack point even on M3s running the stock ride height, so you either need a very expensive jack like an AC Hydraulics model, or you need to drive onto ramps before jacking, or you need to jack one side high enough to get a second jack under the front center (which is the same amount of work as doing one side at a time and also takes two jacks). The rear is reachable but I somehow don't like the idea of using the diff housing, so I just use each of the four side jack points one at a time. I bought two jack pad adapters in case I ever need to raise the car on two jacks simultaneously.
11 M3 E92 Le Mans | Black Nov w/ Alum | 6MT | Premium 2 | Convenience | 19" | EDC | Prem Audio | Moonroof | BMW Apps | Vorshlag Adjustable Camber Plates | StopTech ST-60 380mm BBK | Castrol SRF Fluid | ModMyNav.com rear camera | OEM Euro Sunglasses Holder
jphughan is offline   United_States
      03-14-2014, 01:29 PM   #8
ersin
Brigadier General

Drives: 08 IB E92 M3

Quote:
Originally Posted by jphughan View Post
Most jacks can't reach the front center jack point even on M3s running the stock ride height, so you either need a very expensive jack like an AC Hydraulics model, ...
Do you have any idea how long and how low a floor jack needs to be to get under and reach the center jack points on the M3?

I always wanted to get the floor jack that griotsgarage sold. Alas, I waited too long and now it's gone. It looked like it was long and short enough to reach, but now I'll never know.

Cheers.

I've been assimilated. 6MT/ZPP/18"/PS extended.
ersin is offline   United_States
      03-14-2014, 01:47 PM   #9
jphughan
Brigadier General

Drives: 2011.75 M3 E92 6MT

Quote:
Originally Posted by ersin
Do you have any idea how long and how low a floor jack needs to be to get under and reach the center jack points on the M3?

I always wanted to get the floor jack that griotsgarage sold. Alas, I waited too long and now it's gone. It looked like it was long and short enough to reach, but now I'll never know.

Cheers.
Sadly no, I've never measured it. Sorry!
11 M3 E92 Le Mans | Black Nov w/ Alum | 6MT | Premium 2 | Convenience | 19" | EDC | Prem Audio | Moonroof | BMW Apps | Vorshlag Adjustable Camber Plates | StopTech ST-60 380mm BBK | Castrol SRF Fluid | ModMyNav.com rear camera | OEM Euro Sunglasses Holder
jphughan is offline   United_States
      03-14-2014, 02:58 PM   #10
W///
Brigadier General

Drives: 2008 E92 M3/1999 E36 M3 Coupe

Quote:
Originally Posted by ersin View Post

Cheers.
The Harbor Freight one reaches, but the probably is that it's too tall. However, I don't mind driving up on a couple of 2x4's first, and then reaching the jack points. They can be had for $100 shipped and they are great quality IMO.
      03-14-2014, 03:14 PM   #11
Hagasan41
Private

Drives: 2013 E92 ///M3

http://www.northerntool.com/shop/too...4333_200514333

This is the one I'm planning on picking up.
Hagasan41 is offline   United_States
      03-14-2014, 03:38 PM   #12
Kurt_OH
Lieutenant

Drives: E90 M3 ZCP

A block of wood will work, as these adapters' rectangular part are taller than the jack point depth anyway.

Full disclosure: I have and use the adapters.
Kurt_OH is offline   United_States
      03-14-2014, 06:23 PM   #13
dreamspeed
Captain

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kurt_OH View Post
A block of wood will work, as these adapters' rectangular part are taller than the jack point depth anyway.

Full disclosure: I have and use the adapters.
Thanks, this is exactly the info i needed