BMW M3 Forum (E90 E92)

BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read


Go Back   M3Post - BMW M3 Forum > BIMMERPOST Universal Forums > Off-Topic Discussions Board
 
Post Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
      03-22-2013, 07:06 PM   #23
MadDog
Careful, I Bite.....
 
MadDog's Avatar
 
Drives: 2006 325i
Join Date: Dec 2006
Location: S.F. Bay Area

Posts: 504
iTrader: (0)

Garage List
2006 325i  [3.75]
Quote:
Originally Posted by SDSmain View Post
Ummm... Maybe try upwards of 100K, 50K is very low
Real estate commission is usually 6% - 3% to the listing agent and 3% to the selling agent. So, commission on a 2 million$ house is 120K.
MadDog is offline   United_States
0
Reply With Quote
      03-22-2013, 07:13 PM   #24
SDSmain
Private
 
Drives: ///M / AMG
Join Date: Mar 2013
Location: Chicago

Posts: 56
iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by MadDog View Post
Real estate commission is usually 6% - 3% to the listing agent and 3% to the selling agent. So, commission on a 2 million$ house is 120K.
That's why I said upwards of 100K but some people negotiate to bring it down 1 or 2% so it depends.
SDSmain is offline  
0
Reply With Quote
      03-22-2013, 07:34 PM   #25
boris
Борис
 
boris's Avatar
 
Drives: POS 335i
Join Date: Nov 2012
Location: CT/NY

Posts: 414
iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by SDSmain View Post
Try it. But don't be fucking the bosses daughter.


Try it. But don't be caught fucking the bosses daughter.
__________________
07 SG 335i
COBB - Burger Motorsports - Evolution Racewerks - TiAL- AMS
boris is offline   United_States
0
Reply With Quote
      03-22-2013, 07:41 PM   #26
bmw-nj
Captain
 
bmw-nj's Avatar
 
Drives: 2014 BMW 335 xdrive M sport
Join Date: Apr 2011
Location: Hillsborough, NJ

Posts: 634
iTrader: (1)

It's a good job if you enjoy cars and you can make good money.

Problem being you live at the dealership working all day Saturdays and are off one day during the week when everyone else is working. You will be at the dealership until 8 or 9pm.
bmw-nj is offline   United_States
0
Reply With Quote
      03-23-2013, 08:39 AM   #27
Ali@BMWMt.laurel
Colonel
 
Ali@BMWMt.laurel's Avatar
 
Drives: 2015 M4
Join Date: Aug 2008
Location: United States

Posts: 2,131
iTrader: (7)

Garage List
2013 BMW 335i  [0.00]
I will agree the hours will suck and you will devote alot of time at the dealership for the first few months. know your product, be aggressive and worry only about yourself. Your there to make a living; not friends. Take your alotted time off to recoup and relax. Socialize, network and always have cards on you. If you need more pointers, PM me. I've been with BMW for 5 years and elsewhere for 2.
__________________
BMW of Mount Laurel - ///M Certified Client Advisor
Send Me a Message Regarding Your Next BMW!
www.BMWofMtLaurel.com
We are an M-Certified and DINAN Certified Dealer
NJ Motorsports Park Affiliated!!! PM ME FOR DETAILS
Ali@BMWMt.laurel is offline   United_States
0
Reply With Quote
      03-23-2013, 08:45 AM   #28
Ammonia
Captain
 
Ammonia's Avatar
 
Drives: n54 135i
Join Date: Mar 2012
Location: Fayetteville, NC

Posts: 738
iTrader: (4)

I work in the car business as well as a salesman. The Dodge dealership I'm at is fairly small/medium. Income is decent, I make about $60k, better than what I made in the Army as an E5.

Advice? Sell yourself, then the product. People like to buy from people they like.

The hours are long, but the job itself is pretty fun, if you're competitive. The income shoots up as soon as you do anything managerial, but that may take awhile, depending on where you're at.
__________________

Mods: JB4 | Berk Race Axel-Back | VSRF DPs | BMS DCI | CM Meth + CMGS Controller | Stett CP | Tial BOV | RR Scoops | BMS LED AE | Matte Grills | 10% Tint | M Pedals | Blackline LCI | CSR Eyelids | Amber Overlays | Rear OEM Flaps | Seibon GTR Hood | Painted Spoiler | H-Style Front Lip | VMR V701s
Ammonia is offline   United_States
0
Reply With Quote
      03-23-2013, 09:28 AM   #29
Joekerr
Second Lieutenant
 
Drives: 2008 BMW 335i
Join Date: Jan 2008
Location: Toronto, ON

Posts: 310
iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ammonia View Post
I work in the car business as well as a salesman. The Dodge dealership I'm at is fairly small/medium. Income is decent, I make about $60k, better than what I made in the Army as an E5.

Advice? Sell yourself, then the product. People like to buy from people they like.

The hours are long, but the job itself is pretty fun, if you're competitive. The income shoots up as soon as you do anything managerial, but that may take awhile, depending on where you're at.
Out of curiosity, I was potentially looking at a job at a car manufacturer (not sales, finance), but it was Ford, and I was thinking that the expectation would definitely be that I drive a Ford...and I don't have room in the current house for a third car.

Do you get any flack for driving a BMW given you work at Dodge? Or do you have a Dodge as your second car that you take to work, and the BMW is only for weekends? I figure if you work at a dealership or manufacturer, likely expectation is you drive their product, but wasn't sure.
Joekerr is offline  
0
Reply With Quote
      03-24-2013, 11:17 PM   #30
Ammonia
Captain
 
Ammonia's Avatar
 
Drives: n54 135i
Join Date: Mar 2012
Location: Fayetteville, NC

Posts: 738
iTrader: (4)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joekerr View Post
Out of curiosity, I was potentially looking at a job at a car manufacturer (not sales, finance), but it was Ford, and I was thinking that the expectation would definitely be that I drive a Ford...and I don't have room in the current house for a third car.

Do you get any flack for driving a BMW given you work at Dodge? Or do you have a Dodge as your second car that you take to work, and the BMW is only for weekends? I figure if you work at a dealership or manufacturer, likely expectation is you drive their product, but wasn't sure.

Nah no flack. Just good natured stuff. They dont care what you drive, as long as you sell cars, really.
__________________

Mods: JB4 | Berk Race Axel-Back | VSRF DPs | BMS DCI | CM Meth + CMGS Controller | Stett CP | Tial BOV | RR Scoops | BMS LED AE | Matte Grills | 10% Tint | M Pedals | Blackline LCI | CSR Eyelids | Amber Overlays | Rear OEM Flaps | Seibon GTR Hood | Painted Spoiler | H-Style Front Lip | VMR V701s
Ammonia is offline   United_States
0
Reply With Quote
      03-31-2013, 01:20 AM   #31
White person
Private First Class
 
Drives: Jet black M3
Join Date: Apr 2012
Location: 61727

Posts: 128
iTrader: (0)

Advise plz know your cars before trying to go sell one
White person is offline   United_States
0
Reply With Quote
      03-31-2013, 06:58 PM   #32
///MC
Private
 
Drives: E90 M3
Join Date: Nov 2009
Location: Fort Collins, CO

Posts: 58
iTrader: (0)

I have been in the business for years an held a job as Internet director and business development manager.
As everyone has said, money and sales is all dependent on the market you are and the dealership you work at. Pay plans vary widely.
People buy if it is the right car, from the right person at the right dealership. Listen to your customers needs and sell yourself.

It is a great business and great money.

Pm me of you have any other questions.
///MC is offline  
0
Reply With Quote
      04-02-2013, 01:04 PM   #33
LinkA8A0A
Private
 
Drives: 135i
Join Date: Apr 2012
Location: USA

Posts: 76
iTrader: (0)

I sold cars at a BMW dealer in the PA area for about 2 years and I didn't consider myself a good salesperson, but I still made $60+K both years selling.

That said, I hated selling cars. Mainly because I don't like dealing with people and no matter how good you are, I feel like there's always an uneasyness as to where your next sale is coming from and in turn your next paycheck. So I went back to school and am now am auditor.

If you like selling and are good at it, go for it. The top two guys at my dealer made between $130-150K, so there's definitely money to be made for those who enjoy it and are successful.
LinkA8A0A is offline  
0
Reply With Quote
      04-02-2013, 01:10 PM   #34
amanda hor$t
Banned
 
Drives: a380
Join Date: Sep 2012
Location: ny ny

Posts: 208
iTrader: (0)

from what i remember talking to some car salesmen, the zone is when you have so many established contacts that you no longer need to sell. enough business comes from your contacts and you just push the papers through.
amanda hor$t is offline  
0
Reply With Quote
      04-03-2013, 12:08 PM   #35
CGMike
First Lieutenant
 
CGMike's Avatar
 
Drives: 2011 135i Coupe Sport
Join Date: May 2012
Location: Southern CA

Posts: 327
iTrader: (0)

Do research on your product. Know your product and dont BS customers.
__________________
2011 Space Grey 135i Manual Coupe Sport
06 GTO , 06 WRX, 59 Bug, 03 Dakota R/T, 03 SV650
CGMike is offline  
0
Reply With Quote
      04-03-2013, 01:32 PM   #36
Litos
Banned
 
Drives: 2012 Challenger RT Junk
Join Date: Dec 2010
Location: Houston/Pearland

Posts: 2,900
iTrader: (1)

Quote:
Originally Posted by R Grubba Balls View Post
if i was to sell stuff, it'd be real estate. expensive houses. commission on a $2 million dollar house is 50k
98% of real estate agents will never sell a house over $2MM.

and if they do, it will be a one time deal in probably a 5 or 6 year span....
Litos is offline   United_States
0
Reply With Quote
      04-03-2013, 01:40 PM   #37
Litos
Banned
 
Drives: 2012 Challenger RT Junk
Join Date: Dec 2010
Location: Houston/Pearland

Posts: 2,900
iTrader: (1)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ali@BMWMt.laurel View Post
I will agree the hours will suck and you will devote alot of time at the dealership for the first few months. know your product, be aggressive and worry only about yourself. Your there to make a living; not friends. Take your alotted time off to recoup and relax. Socialize, network and always have cards on you. If you need more pointers, PM me. I've been with BMW for 5 years and elsewhere for 2.
i just some quick math - if i worked 12 hours days, 6 days a week and got paid hourly, i'd be @ 155K a year.

that's straight hours too, not time and a half hours...

so $200K is a pretty sick salary to be on.
Litos is offline   United_States
0
Reply With Quote
      04-03-2013, 03:46 PM   #38
LinkA8A0A
Private
 
Drives: 135i
Join Date: Apr 2012
Location: USA

Posts: 76
iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Litos View Post
i just some quick math - if i worked 12 hours days, 6 days a week and got paid hourly, i'd be @ 155K a year.

that's straight hours too, not time and a half hours...

so $200K is a pretty sick salary to be on.
So you're saying you make $41.40/hour...that's pretty good, actually.
LinkA8A0A is offline  
0
Reply With Quote
      04-03-2013, 03:51 PM   #39
Litos
Banned
 
Drives: 2012 Challenger RT Junk
Join Date: Dec 2010
Location: Houston/Pearland

Posts: 2,900
iTrader: (1)

Quote:
Originally Posted by LinkA8A0A View Post
So you're saying you make $41.40/hour...that's pretty good, actually.
41.54 lol
Litos is offline   United_States
0
Reply With Quote
      04-05-2013, 07:34 AM   #40
Comet
Troll Harder
 
Comet's Avatar
 
Drives: 997 GT3, 997 4 GTS, X6M
Join Date: May 2007
Location: Montreal, Beirut

Posts: 596
iTrader: (0)

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by Joekerr View Post
Out of curiosity, I was potentially looking at a job at a car manufacturer (not sales, finance), but it was Ford, and I was thinking that the expectation would definitely be that I drive a Ford...and I don't have room in the current house for a third car.

Do you get any flack for driving a BMW given you work at Dodge? Or do you have a Dodge as your second car that you take to work, and the BMW is only for weekends? I figure if you work at a dealership or manufacturer, likely expectation is you drive their product, but wasn't sure.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ammonia View Post
Nah no flack. Just good natured stuff. They dont care what you drive, as long as you sell cars, really.
that's odd
my sales manager at BMW got flack for driving a 911 (forced to go BMW) and this girl I know over at Ferrari was also given a "list of ok brands to drive".
__________________
Comet is offline   Lebanon
0
Reply With Quote
Post Reply

Bookmarks

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Forum Jump


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 03:03 AM.




m3post
Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.7.0
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
1Addicts.com, BIMMERPOST.com, E90Post.com, F30Post.com, M3Post.com, ZPost.com, 5Post.com, 6Post.com, 7Post.com, XBimmers.com logo and trademark are properties of BIMMERPOST