BMW M3 Forum (E90 E92)

BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read


Go Back   M3Post - BMW M3 Forum > M3 (E90 / E92 / E93) > General M3 Forum (E90 + E92 + E93)
 
GT Haus
Post Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
      09-04-2007, 10:20 AM   #1
Should be Working
Enlisted Member
 
Should be Working's Avatar
 
Drives: E46 M3 Convertible Silver Grey
Join Date: Sep 2006
Location: UK

Posts: 44
iTrader: (0)

At last - I've sat in it and have some truths!!

Guys

Just got back from my local dealer who has 2 cars in - one melbourne red with black leather and the other jerez black with fox red leather.

I can confirm the following:

Jerez black is very very similar to carbon black and the only difference I can see is that it has more metallic fleck in the paint with a purple hue. It is definitely not purple paint and looks very black. As with cabon black it looks amazing under sunlight.

Fox red leather is not my taste at all. I used to have a carbon black and imola red e46 and I though the combination was fantastic. Fox red has obviously been named after it's namesake. Imagine the colour of a fox's fur and you are pretty close - alternatively a ginger cat or a bad faded tan leather holdall! To me it looks better in the photograph.

The steering wheel is not too thick. It is a bit thicker than the e46, but not too thick and I love it! :rocks:

The seating position is not too high either. I set the seat position to it's lowest setting and it seemed at least as low as my e46 convertible (current car) I had jumped straight from that, into the E92 and then back into the E46, so I had a good chance to compare. :rocks:

The old lights around the rev counter have been replaced with an analogue movement that swings from the right hand side of the rev counter when you turn on the ignition up to the recommended revs for oil temperature. Difficult to explain but I hope you get the idea. :rocks:

I think certain journalists are out to cause a bit of bother with this car and, without having driven the car, disagree with some of the negative comments (as mentioned above) that I have heard so far.

I only had my camera phone but hopefully these shots will help:
Attached Images
     
Should be Working is offline  
0
Reply With Quote
      09-04-2007, 10:32 AM   #2
EBuyuk
Private
 
EBuyuk's Avatar
 
Drives: E60 M5
Join Date: Jan 2007
Location: Istanbul

Posts: 95
iTrader: (0)

Awesome. How is the contrast between the jerez black and the carbon fiber roof?
EBuyuk is offline  
0
Reply With Quote
      09-04-2007, 10:33 AM   #3
ChitownM3
Lieutenant
 
Drives: 2001 SS Camaro
Join Date: Jun 2007
Location: Burbs of Chicago

Posts: 489
iTrader: (0)

I am a bit confused as how the redline works.... When you first start the car the tach moves to the recommended redline???
ChitownM3 is offline  
0
Reply With Quote
      09-04-2007, 10:36 AM   #4
mkoesel
Moderator
 
Drives: IB/PS M-DCT E93 M3
Join Date: Jun 2006
Location: Canton, MI

Posts: 13,554
iTrader: (1)

Thanks for posting. One question for you:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Should be Working View Post
The steering wheel is not too thick. It is a bit thicker than the e46, but not too thick and I love it! :rocks:
Do you know how the wheel compares to the one that comes with the sport package on normal E9x 3 series? That wheel is also thicker than the one on my M3, but does not feel too thick either.
__________________
2008 Interlagos Blue E93 M3 - FOR SALE - Engine failure at 95k miles.
Best offer takes it: http://www.m3post.com/forums/showthr...1#post16279561
mkoesel is offline   United_States
0
Reply With Quote
      09-04-2007, 10:38 AM   #5
Should be Working
Enlisted Member
 
Should be Working's Avatar
 
Drives: E46 M3 Convertible Silver Grey
Join Date: Sep 2006
Location: UK

Posts: 44
iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by EBuyuk View Post
Awesome. How is the contrast between the jerez black and the carbon fiber roof?
Obviously there is not as much contrast as with the lighter colours, but I thought it looked great. The weave in the carbon fibre looked quite pronounced and as the sunlight hit it. You would definitely not mistake it for something else!
Should be Working is offline  
0
Reply With Quote
      09-04-2007, 10:38 AM   #6
marksch123
New Member
 
Drives: 2005 M3 Cabrio
Join Date: Dec 2006
Location: Houston,TX

Posts: 14
iTrader: (0)

thanks for post. What's your oppinion of melbourne red paint color?
marksch123 is offline  
0
Reply With Quote
      09-04-2007, 10:40 AM   #7
Should be Working
Enlisted Member
 
Should be Working's Avatar
 
Drives: E46 M3 Convertible Silver Grey
Join Date: Sep 2006
Location: UK

Posts: 44
iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChitownM3 View Post
I am a bit confused as how the redline works.... When you first start the car the tach moves to the recommended redline???
It moves when you turn on the ignition and remains there as you start the car. it will then move as the engine / oil heats up to operating temperature until you can take it to the redline (run-in notwithstanding)
Should be Working is offline  
0
Reply With Quote
      09-04-2007, 10:42 AM   #8
Should be Working
Enlisted Member
 
Should be Working's Avatar
 
Drives: E46 M3 Convertible Silver Grey
Join Date: Sep 2006
Location: UK

Posts: 44
iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by mkoesel View Post
Thanks for posting. One question for you:



Do you know how the wheel compares to the one that comes with the sport package on normal E9x 3 series? That wheel is also thicker than the one on my M3, but does not feel too thick either.
Not sure! I have driven an E92 335 sport and the steering wheel thickness didn't occur to me, so I would imagine the M3 may be slightly thicker.
Should be Working is offline  
0
Reply With Quote
      09-04-2007, 10:47 AM   #9
Should be Working
Enlisted Member
 
Should be Working's Avatar
 
Drives: E46 M3 Convertible Silver Grey
Join Date: Sep 2006
Location: UK

Posts: 44
iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by marksch123 View Post
thanks for post. What's your oppinion of melbourne red paint color?
I didn't like the magazine pictures of it, but as with so many things about this car, it looked so much better in the metal. It didn't look overtly metalic and
the shade of the paint looked like what I would describe as slightly pastel.

I'm not a great fan of red cars but, having seen it, I would consider it one of the better shades of red available on a BMW.
Should be Working is offline  
0
Reply With Quote
      09-04-2007, 11:20 AM   #10
ChitownM3
Lieutenant
 
Drives: 2001 SS Camaro
Join Date: Jun 2007
Location: Burbs of Chicago

Posts: 489
iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Should be Working View Post
It moves when you turn on the ignition and remains there as you start the car. it will then move as the engine / oil heats up to operating temperature until you can take it to the redline (run-in notwithstanding)
Cool, I can't wait to see this in person. Thanks for the post!
ChitownM3 is offline  
0
Reply With Quote
      09-04-2007, 11:50 AM   #11
Epacy
Reincarnated
 
Epacy's Avatar
 
Drives: 02 Maxima SE
Join Date: Mar 2007
Location: IL

Posts: 4,227
iTrader: (0)

Garage List
2008 M3  [0.00]
Nice report.
__________________
Epacy is offline  
0
Reply With Quote
      09-04-2007, 11:56 AM   #12
Technic
Lieutenant General
 
Technic's Avatar
 
Drives: 2012 E92 M3, 2014 528i
Join Date: Apr 2005
Location: Ft Lauderdale, Florida

Posts: 10,837
iTrader: (16)

Garage List
2004 M3  [0.00]
So Fox Red is the "new" Cinammon dipped in Imola Red?

Thanks for the picture of the Jerez Black, it really looks like Carbon Black with more Carbon...
Technic is offline   United_States
0
Reply With Quote
      09-04-2007, 03:00 PM   #13
Keto
Major
 
Keto's Avatar
 
Drives: 550i M-sport AW
Join Date: Jul 2007
Location: N'awlins

Posts: 1,416
iTrader: (1)

Cinnamon is/was pimp. Can't wait to see Fox Red.
Keto is offline   United_States
0
Reply With Quote
      09-04-2007, 03:38 PM   #14
TTBear
Lieutenant
 
TTBear's Avatar
 
Drives: '09 LP560-4, '06 Z4M, '12 X6M
Join Date: Apr 2007
Location: Canada

Posts: 555
iTrader: (4)

Hmmmm. Is there some kind of conspiracy to drive me nuts, waiting for a GREAT pic of Jerez Black?

Kidding- thanks for posting. It's good to see that BMW have chosen to continue with the orange peel paint jobs that I would so dearly miss if they should disappear....
TTBear is offline   Canada
0
Reply With Quote
      09-04-2007, 03:47 PM   #15
Jason
Administrator
 
Jason's Avatar
 
Drives: E90 M3
Join Date: Mar 2005
Location: USA

Posts: 16,386
iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by TTBear View Post
Hmmmm. Is there some kind of conspiracy to drive me nuts, waiting for a GREAT pic of Jerez Black?
Look here
http://www.m3post.com/forums/showthread.php?t=81783

and here
http://www.m3post.com/forums/showthr...t=74494&page=2

__________________
Check on the Latest BMW News
Become a fan of Bimmerpost Facebook
Follow us on Bimmerpost Twitter
Subscribe to Bimmerpost Youtube Channel

Jason is offline   United_States
0
Reply With Quote
      09-04-2007, 04:18 PM   #16
FifthStreetz
O! So Sour!!
 
FifthStreetz's Avatar
 
Drives: Fast e30 / Slow M3
Join Date: Apr 2007
Location: Fort Lee, NJ

Posts: 15,504
iTrader: (24)

Garage List
2008 M3  [4.75]
very nice, thanks for sharing~
FifthStreetz is offline   United_States
0
Reply With Quote
      09-04-2007, 05:59 PM   #17
Stahlgrau
Second Lieutenant
 
Drives: Backwards
Join Date: Aug 2007
Location: Greenland

Posts: 225
iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Should be Working View Post
Guys

Just got back from my local dealer who has 2 cars in - one melbourne red with black leather and the other jerez black with fox red leather.

I can confirm the following:

Jerez black is very very similar to carbon black and the only difference I can see is that it has more metallic fleck in the paint with a purple hue. It is definitely not purple paint and looks very black. As with cabon black it looks amazing under sunlight.

Fox red leather is not my taste at all. I used to have a carbon black and imola red e46 and I though the combination was fantastic. Fox red has obviously been named after it's namesake. Imagine the colour of a fox's fur and you are pretty close - alternatively a ginger cat or a bad faded tan leather holdall! To me it looks better in the photograph.

The steering wheel is not too thick. It is a bit thicker than the e46, but not too thick and I love it! :rocks:

The seating position is not too high either. I set the seat position to it's lowest setting and it seemed at least as low as my e46 convertible (current car) I had jumped straight from that, into the E92 and then back into the E46, so I had a good chance to compare. :rocks:

The old lights around the rev counter have been replaced with an analogue movement that swings from the right hand side of the rev counter when you turn on the ignition up to the recommended revs for oil temperature. Difficult to explain but I hope you get the idea. :rocks:

I think certain journalists are out to cause a bit of bother with this car and, without having driven the car, disagree with some of the negative comments (as mentioned above) that I have heard so far.

I only had my camera phone but hopefully these shots will help:

Thanks for the report. So, I guess we can't take everything the journalists say as gospel. We can actually form opinions for ourselves. That's neat.
Stahlgrau is offline  
0
Reply With Quote
      09-04-2007, 06:58 PM   #18
MI6
The World is Not Enough
 
MI6's Avatar
 
Drives: Aston DBS-R
Join Date: Jun 2006
Location: Skyfall

Posts: 1,050
iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stahlgrau View Post
Thanks for the report. So, I guess we can't take everything the journalists say as gospel. We can actually form opinions for ourselves. That's neat.
Yes, only Audi Trolls take everything journalists say as gospel....
MI6 is offline   United_States
0
Reply With Quote
      09-04-2007, 07:13 PM   #19
lucid
Major General
 
lucid's Avatar
 
Drives: E30 M3; Expedition
Join Date: Apr 2007
Location: USA

Posts: 8,034
iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by MI6 View Post
Yes, only Audi Trolls take everything journalists say as gospel....
They have been mysteriously absent. Can't say I miss them. What happened? Are they on some kind of Merc forum, bashing the AMG? Do they travel in packs?
lucid is offline   United_States
0
Reply With Quote
      09-04-2007, 09:19 PM   #20
TTBear
Lieutenant
 
TTBear's Avatar
 
Drives: '09 LP560-4, '06 Z4M, '12 X6M
Join Date: Apr 2007
Location: Canada

Posts: 555
iTrader: (4)

Jason - thanks for the redirect, and thanks to JEllis for the original post.

Done deal. I love my Carbon Black e46. I am hoping to keep it, and put it up on the lift, above the e92. For me, Jerez Black wins. Can't wait
TTBear is offline   Canada
0
Reply With Quote
      09-04-2007, 09:40 PM   #21
MI6
The World is Not Enough
 
MI6's Avatar
 
Drives: Aston DBS-R
Join Date: Jun 2006
Location: Skyfall

Posts: 1,050
iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Should be Working View Post
I didn't like the magazine pictures of it, but as with so many things about this car, it looked so much better in the metal. It didn't look overtly metalic and
the shade of the paint looked like what I would describe as slightly pastel.

I'm not a great fan of red cars but, having seen it, I would consider it one of the better shades of red available on a BMW.
Speaking of red, what current interior color would you say Fox Red looked most like? Terra? Auburn?
MI6 is offline   United_States
0
Reply With Quote
      09-05-2007, 04:15 AM   #22
Should be Working
Enlisted Member
 
Should be Working's Avatar
 
Drives: E46 M3 Convertible Silver Grey
Join Date: Sep 2006
Location: UK

Posts: 44
iTrader: (0)

Quote:
Originally Posted by MI6 View Post
Speaking of red, what current interior color would you say Fox Red looked most like? Terra? Auburn?
Can't say it looks much like any interior colour I have seem before. It is possible that the US market has some different choices from the UK though.

I thought it looked more of a faded dark orange than a red. If pushed I would say it was closest to cinammon, but a lighter, blander version.

Hope this helps!

p.s. I may be able to get a high res photo of this interior later today, so I'll keep you posted.
Should be Working is offline  
0
Reply With Quote
Post Reply

Bookmarks

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Forum Jump


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 10:29 PM.




m3post
Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.7.0
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
1Addicts.com, BIMMERPOST.com, E90Post.com, F30Post.com, M3Post.com, ZPost.com, 5Post.com, 6Post.com, 7Post.com, XBimmers.com logo and trademark are properties of BIMMERPOST