BMW M3 Forum (E90 E92)

BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   M3Post - BMW M3 Forum > M3 (E90 / E92 / E93) > General M3 Forum (E90 + E92 + E93)

ESS Tuning

07-26-2012, 09:10 PM   #1
italyix
Lieutenant

Drives: '08 E90 M3

Update 2 - 1 week of daily driving:

OK, so I have had enough time to drive the car, both every day to work and back, and this past weekend, for a drive to Carmel with the ladies (both car and gf).

To start off, I will review the bushings:

TMS Subframe Bushings
These tie the rear suspension components nicely to the subframe. As you can see, the stock ones are rubber and are stamped with the M logo. No discernible difference from rubber to delrin with regards to NVH. These were done because I wanted to leave no rubber in the rear...minus the one laid out on the road! I believe they just complement the rest of the bushings I added.

TMS Differential Bushings
These made the BIGGEST difference as far as the rear components go. Again, two rubber inserts for the differential, BUT the third bushing is made out of hard foam! You can see how it is squeezed, imagine what it was doing under acceleration.
This upgrade contributes to the MOST NVH, meaning it adds a whirring noise which I attribute it to the meshing of the gears of the diff, directly passing the NVH into the rear cabin. This noise is audible with the rear seats up. When you have them down is annoying, like really annoying. Its a noise that you just cant turn off in your mind and overpowers the radio. With the seats down it is very manageable. The noise comes alive under heavy acceleration, but it becomes music as the car sounds like it has straight cut gears. To me it is a pleasurable noise. If you are sensitive to NVH, stay AWAY from this mod. I did it because as you can see from the pics, the contact points inside the bushing are small, compared to the actual surface area of the rubber.

Vorschlag Engine Mounts
Now, every one said these were going to be noisy, hard, vibrate etc...and you were all correct. The car vibrates, albeit not like an old school V8, only during startup and while engaging first gear. Now while driving is a different story. Imagine you are sitting in a chair and your smart phone vibrates on the chair itself. Now imagine those vibrations and what they feel like, then slash that by half...that's what the Vorschlag mounts feel like. The VHN are extremely tolerable and after 1 week of driving, I feel like they are not there anymore. I think all the bushings are starting to settle in nicely and the vibrations are slowly settling. How does the car feel like now you ask? Engine movement is virtually eliminated, which helps at keeping the transmission in check and not move, thus helping with the shifts.
Lastly, I am glad I did these as the stock bushings which only had 58k on them, were COMPLETELY TRASHED! You be the judge...check out the pics. Again, only 58K on them. All 6MT drivers out there, I urge you to check your bushings!

UUC SSK and DSSR
I love this shifter! All the bashing I read on the forums must have been from people who bought the V2. My unit was the V3 and shifting has finally become pleasurable, unlike before where I had to RSVP the next shift and wait for the confirmation. Yes sir, you may now engage second...
None of that anymore. Shifting is crisp and precise, lateral shifter movement is virtually eliminated and I don't have to guess which gear I will end up putting it in. Throw is also drastically reduced. To complement this unit, I have also added a ZHP knob.

KW S/O Kit with MRF Engineering Shave Guide Support and E36 Bumpstops
Where do I begin...first of all KW did an amazing job with this kit. The springs are nicely matched to the EDC system and there is a noticeable difference in Comfort, Normal and Sport. In Comfort mode, the car is not bouncy at all and feels like many have stated here, like Normal mode. The springs are harder than stock of course but they are yet still soft enough to be extremely comfortable. Sport on the other hand makes things nice and tight, and you can definitely feel the road with this setting on. I have the car halfway down on the KW perches and I still manage to retain most of the suspension travel. How do you ask? Malek of MRF Engineering was kind enough to provide his modified upper guide supports, which essentially shave the top of the guide, where the spring sits allowing to obtain another 0.5" or so of travel. Coupled with the E36 bump stops and stock-like travel is almost achieved.
Overall, I am extremely satisfied with this set up. Although I feel the springs are too soft to curb lateral sway on their own alone.

RDSport Sway Bars
First of all these things are green...neon green....AWESOME!
The sway bars have three adjustable points. I have the front set at two (middle) and the rear at soft. These do their job and they do it well. Sway is almost gone but not completely eliminated. From stock though, you can definitely tell the car hugs the road much better. I felt these had to be done, to complement the KW kit.

Challenge Sport X-Pipe
A work of art...simply put. I wont go too much into this, as I am not the only one who has written about the throaty exhaust note when your foot depresses the accelerator, and the car starts to roar like a lion claiming his territory. Very civilized around town and zero drone at any speed. Car does not smell at all, due to the secondary (or primaries in this case) still being on the car. I absolutely love this piece.

Mach Schnell Underdrive Pulleys
Power difference is there and the pulleys seems to have no ill effects on the car. They do add a whining noise, almost like there is a supercharger under the hood. Must be the new belts.

AA Green Filter
This was a must as I have the stupid charcoal filter and price was not bad for a drop in. Again, too many reviews to add another one. The filter works and provides more airflow that the stock one.

BFGoodridge SS Lines
A slight improvement in pedal feel. Mostly done for spirited drives and eventual track, in case the rubber lines get nicked or something.

Evolve Automotive Tune
Now....this is the icing on the cake, the cherry on top of the ice cream that ties the whole orchestra of parts together. The Maestro of it all. I drove the car without the tune for about 5 days before Sal had the chance to work his magic. All I need to say here is Evolve knows what they are doing, and they do it very very well. My CEL is gone, acceleration response is improved and the car DEFINITELY moves way faster than before. This is also attributed to the other mods done, and again the tune ties all the components together.
Please note this is the only tune I have ever had, so I do not mean to say other ones are bad or anything like that. I respect all tuners and the R&D they put into their work and this review is solely aimed at Evolve.
Before this, I had the dealer update to v213.

Performance Technic
I could have not done it without Joe and his crew at Performance Technic, located in Pleasanton. I dropped off the car Friday morning at 9am and after moving some sick @$$ BMWs out of the shop and into the parking lot, the crew quickly began to go over the mods I had packed in the trunk. I was kept informed at least three to four times per day and Performance Technic was able to finish the car that same day. I think I got a call from them at like 9:30pm telling me they wrapping the car up, getting it ready for an alignment the next day.
I show up at 3pm on Saturday and there she was, new stance and all. A huge thank you to the team at Performance Technic for taking the time and being extremely professional in all aspects. They ever dropped me off the BART station so I could get back home that day. Truly nice guys and from now on, the only ones allowed to work on my car...period.

Overall review of the car:
I can now break first gear with no efforts at all. I do not mean a burnout, but shear acceleration from moving in first gear and also a bit in second, something I was not able to do before. Acceleration is intoxicating as well, my MPG are definitely feeling the heavy foot I have seemed to develop. The exhaust note the Challenge puts out makes the M3 feel like a race car. Before having done these mods, the car had a hard time accelerating in sixth gear. No more shenanigans like that, it now effortlessly moves its fat @$$ as if it were a feather. I have to watch my speed constantly, as triple digits come up REAL quick now.
For those of you who are skeptical about the NVH and what now, I took my girl on a two hour ride to Carmel by the sea and she was very happy with the way the car rode and felt. Her only complaint was the differential noise caused by the bushings, something which was muffled (for the most part) by the radio.

Would I do these mods again? Absolutely...I feel BMW has had to compromise and make everyone happy, but I like my cars a bit raw and a stock M3 was just too soft for my taste.
Whats next you ask? Performance-wise nothing else, brake pads on the other hand are next and will be done as soon as BMW decides to replace my rotors, which have developed a dish-size lip and are under spec for thickness. Of course BMW wont replace them, stating they only do rotors with pads...nothing a few mountain runs wont take care of, hahaha!

I do not have the original HP numbers as when I went in to get a dyno, it broke.
I will schedule an appointment and report back.

Feel free to ask any questions.

UPDATE 1: Turns out the Vorschlag Transmission Mounts only fit the E92, and sadly not the E90 M3. So much for that...although when I called Vorschlag they told me they did. Mis-communication, no biggie.

THIS is what my engine mounts looked like after 59k...from all the threads I read and everyone stating they do not need to be changed, PLEASE look at the condition of your engine mounts. This clearly explains the sloppiness I was describing in previous threads I posted replies to.
Picture is owned by Performance Technic and is merely provided as a reference point.

I told myself when I drove her off the lot that I would not modify anything until my CPO warranty expired...but who was I kidding, I knew I was gonna fall off the bandwagon one day.

Well, that day is here and after months of researching on the forum and reading all the reviews about parts and what not, I decided to compile a list of things I wanted to get done.

After placing multiple inquiries and talking to multiple vendors here, I decided to pull the trigger and drop some coin, after all you only live once.

She goes in tomorrow morning for what will be a two-day install.

Enjoy the pictures below

Active Autowerke Filter

BFGoodridge SS Lines

Mach Schnell Pulleys

Evolve Tuning

UUC SSK w/DSSR

Shaved Upper Support Guides

E36 Bumpstops

Vorschlag Engine Mounts

Vorschlag Transmission Mounts - do not fit E90 M3

TMS Differential Bushings

TMS Subframe Bushings

KW S/O Kit

RDSport Front and Rear Swaybars

Challenge Sport X-Pipe

All comments are welcome, good and bad as long we can keep it civil

Last edited by italyix; 08-06-2012 at 09:49 PM.
italyix is offline   United_States
      07-26-2012, 09:19 PM   #2
budski
Private First Class

Drives: 2012 SSII E92 DCT ZCP

that's one serious strain of the mod bug you have there! Looking good!

ESS VT2 625 | Brembo 380mm F/R | Stack Gauges | Meisterschaft GT | KW V3 | Perf Steering Wheel | Challenge GT Lip | Perf CF Spoiler | CF Mirror Caps

Tundra TRD Rock Warrior
budski is offline   United_States
      07-26-2012, 09:21 PM   #3
shendrick
Second Lieutenant

Drives: 08 e90 M3, 05 e46 zhp, 07 X3

change out parts slowly so you can give us feedback on individual contributions. Otherwise it would be hard to attribute benefit to specific "upgrades". Very interetsed to hear how it goes.
shendrick is offline   United_States
      07-26-2012, 09:51 PM   #4
redline9001
Captain

Drives: E92 M3, MDX, Titan

Wow you went crazy, looks great !
      07-26-2012, 09:53 PM   #5
kwike92
Major

Drives: 2009 m3 coupe | 2011 STi

Quote:
Originally Posted by budski View Post
that's one serious strain of the mod bug you have there! Looking good!
for real...thats a superbug
      07-26-2012, 10:35 PM   #6
klammer
Brigadier General

Drives: 11 spc gry m3 e90, 07 X5

Quote:
Originally Posted by kwike92 View Post
for real...thats a superbug
Best disease ever ?
      07-26-2012, 10:38 PM   #7
schnell325
Bored at work....

Drives: '08 M3,'11 335xi

Sweeeeet!!!!
'08 M3: AA G2L3, Catless X-Pipe & Sig Series Rear. AP rods. TC Kline EDC Coil Overs. MRF Alum Sub Frame Bushings. TMS Delrin Diff'l Bushings. BFI Motor Mounts. Recaro PP. BMW Perf Steering Wheel. P3 Gauge. PS Overflow Kit. APEX ARC-8 18"x9.5"/10.5". Conti Slicks 275/35F 305/30R. Stoptech Pads/SS Lines. Cantrell Brake Ducts.
http://5252motorsports.blogspot.ca/2...3-sleeper.html
schnell325 is offline   Canada
      07-26-2012, 11:06 PM   #8
BlueMonde
F33DM3

Drives: E92 ///M3

:
Quote:
Best disease ever ?
And no cure!
      07-27-2012, 02:08 AM   #9
GoldenMember
If you ain't first, you're last!

Drives: '13 Boxster S + 10' 1198S

Great mods lined up, looking forward to seeing the finished product
GoldenMember is offline   Singapore
      07-27-2012, 02:45 AM   #10
Nang Vann
Lieutenant Colonel

Drives: E46 M3, R35 GT-R

Nice gear!
      07-27-2012, 03:42 AM   #11
sausagelink

Drives: E92 M3

nice!
      07-27-2012, 07:43 AM   #12
THE TECH
BimmerPost Supporting Vendor

Drives: BPMsport 2012 E92 M3

Garage List
Send a message via AIM to THE TECH Send a message via Skype™ to THE TECH
Expect some ride harshness with some of those mods.
      07-27-2012, 12:56 PM   #13
koolaid
Private

Drives: 2008 m3

i'm sure you won't stop there...lol
      07-27-2012, 12:58 PM   #14
Mahzari
Captain

Drives: poorly

Quote:
Originally Posted by THE TECH View Post
Have to agree. Don't want to sound like a knob but... You got engine and transmission mounts but skipped on coilovers?
      07-27-2012, 01:19 PM   #15
italyix
Lieutenant

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mahzari
Quote:
Originally Posted by THE TECH View Post
Have to agree. Don't want to sound like a knob but... You got engine and transmission mounts but skipped on coilovers?
Wanted to retain edc. When the shocks blow I'll get coilovers.
      07-27-2012, 01:21 PM   #16
italyix
Lieutenant

Quote:
Originally Posted by THE TECH
As expected...I don't mind the vibrations or ride harshness. My previous car was an Evo 9 with 12kg front and 16kg rear springs. That was a semi rigid ride but handled like a dream.
      07-27-2012, 01:45 PM   #17
weaksauce
Second Lieutenant

Drives: 2008 e92 M3 6MT SSII

-1 on the paisley comforter...
      07-27-2012, 03:37 PM   #18
SV Concepts

Drives: Vorsteiner E60 M5

Saw these on the Performance Technic Facebook today. I have the RD sways and springs and love em. Sure you will too.
SV Concepts is offline   United_States
      07-27-2012, 04:50 PM   #19
italyix
Lieutenant

Quote:
Originally Posted by SV Concepts View Post
Saw these on the Performance Technic Facebook today. I have the RD sways and springs and love em. Sure you will too.
That's my baby in there!

Thanks!
      07-27-2012, 04:59 PM   #20
CSanto
Lieutenant Colonel

Drives: 2009 E92 M3

I have a comment... Sell me that Challenge Sport X-pipe! Damn That's one beautiful piece.
      07-27-2012, 05:26 PM   #21
CarbonFoot
First Lieutenant

Drives: 2009 E90 M3 DCT

Lube up those RD sway bar bushings. I skipped that step during my installation and my laziness was rewarded with CREEAK!
      07-27-2012, 07:37 PM   #22
pbonsalb
Lieutenant Colonel

Drives: 08 E90 M3, 99 E36 M3 Turbo

Looks like fun. I was in the same boat with CPO and could not resist the mod bug either.